PDA

View Full Version : Early generation P-Mags

Slater
12-27-12, 15:44
From all accounts, the new M3 P-Mag is the best yet. For any of you that own early production P-Mags (M1?), how have they been holding up?

LtNovakUSA
12-27-12, 15:59
The only issue I have had with the 40ish that I have is one cracked feed lip. This happened on a deployment about a year after I started using it, and had been through quite a bit when it cracked. The rest have all been great.

Vendetta
12-27-12, 16:01
I have and still use probably 20 or so that are stamped '08. I don't know what generation they are, but I know they've held up to years of use. The only problem was them not dropping free in my newer 6920. That's been my only issue, but that was easily fixed with a file on a Leatherman.

I can't say I've noticed any major differences in quality in the mags I've purchased over the years since.

Iraq Ninja
12-27-12, 16:19
I had about 6 of the beta versions of the PMags and used em up till last year. Never had an issue with them other than loosing those lip clips on top...

Caduceus
12-27-12, 16:49
The only issue I have had with the 40ish that I have is one cracked feed lip. This happened on a deployment about a year after I started using it, and had been through quite a bit when it cracked. The rest have all been great.

Out of curiousity, did you send it back for a replacement?

nova3930
12-27-12, 17:35
I've got a handful that I bought right after PMAGs were publicly available. They're still going strong but they haven't seen a lot of abuse either...

dash1
12-27-12, 17:56
The only issue that I've had with the first generation Pmag is when using a speed loader a bullet tip would sometimes cross over the divider and cause a malfunction. I've not been able to replicate this with the newer version as the divider doesn't come up as far. I stopped using a speed loader and I've had no issues of any kind out of the nine M1 magazines I've been using since 2008.

TACAV
12-27-12, 17:59
I have about 10 of them, some black and some foliage green all with the window. and a bunch of 20 round ones. All of them are going strong. One of the mags (when empty) will cause my Noveske to release the bolt catch though when I hit the magazine release but that's it.

LtNovakUSA
12-27-12, 22:14
Out of curiousity, did you send it back for a replacement?

No I didn't. I was deployed at the time and wasn't really worried about it. Just got another and continued mission.

ST911
12-28-12, 00:36
From all accounts, the new M3 P-Mag is the best yet. For any of you that own early production P-Mags (M1?), how have they been holding up?

Have a bunch living in trunks and as range mags. They're doing fine.

YardDogOne
12-28-12, 13:28
all mine have held up fine, I'm sure they test the hell out of them, more than I could afford to shoot

elnino31
12-28-12, 15:32
I wouldn't worry about the functionality. Mine originals are still working fine.

But there was the problem with some of the earlier mags fitting certain rifles.

So if you're out panic buying and end up with one of the originals. It's possible you could end up having to dremel areas of the mag to get them to fit. I used to own a M&P that didnt' accept the first gen of pmags. Mags or rifle that were out of spec... doesn't really matter. All I know is that they didn't fit without modifying the mag.

jbo723
12-29-12, 00:02
I had about 6 of the beta versions of the PMags and used em up till last year. Never had an issue with them other than loosing those lip clips on top...

Is there a particular reason you retired them? Just curiuos if they have a life span worth noting.

RogerinTPA
12-29-12, 07:37
I have a bunch of them. They are doing just fine, even stored with 30 rounds without the covers after 4 or more years. Some of my other mags have failed. Once it does, I mark it. If it fails again, it's trashed and replaced. They are an expendable item and will eventually fail at some point.

Tzook
12-29-12, 09:45
I have maybe a dozen or so? No issues, most haven't been run a whole bunch, and just sit in drawers with ammunition loaded in them. I probably only use 4-5 mags regularly, no issues with those either.

Shoot 1st
12-29-12, 21:19
goodluck finding any.

twistedcomrade
12-30-12, 11:08
goodluck finding any.

No kidding. Glad I have been slowly and steadily buying them and other mags since 2008.

JackyYeung
12-30-12, 12:39
My gen 1 pmags work great. No need to upgrade.

twpayne75
12-30-12, 16:57
I bought 6 like new Gen 1 Pmags with covers last month for $60 shipped. Bet I could make my money back.:D

They are all made in 08 except 1 and it was made in 07. 5 of them are tight in my Aero Precision lower, 1 of them (the 07) will not seat at all.

What areas need to be filed on the Gen 1s to get them to fit?

veeklog
12-30-12, 20:02
Absolutely no problem with my Gen 1 P-Mags. Glad I have about thirty of them!

Vendetta
12-31-12, 09:12
I bought 6 like new Gen 1 Pmags with covers last month for $60 shipped. Bet I could make my money back.:D

They are all made in 08 except 1 and it was made in 07. 5 of them are tight in my Aero Precision lower, 1 of them (the 07) will not seat at all.

What areas need to be filed on the Gen 1s to get them to fit?

Mine were getting hung up towards the rear of the mags, above the mag catch, around the 5.56x45 markings. I took the file off my Leatherman and filed it down some on both sides, now they all drop free in my 6920. I have never had issues in my work gun or the 2 LMT's I have, just the newer Colt.

10-76
12-31-12, 09:15
I have around 25 of em, work fine.

twpayne75
12-31-12, 16:27
Mine were getting hung up towards the rear of the mags, above the mag catch, around the 5.56x45 markings. I took the file off my Leatherman and filed it down some on both sides, now they all drop free in my 6920. I have never had issues in my work gun or the 2 LMT's I have, just the newer Colt.

Mine will go in alright. My problem is it seems they will not go in far enough. (story of my life :haha: )

It's almost like where the ribs start doesn't allow the mag to go up into the magwell far enough to seat. If I smack the bottom when inserting they will go JUST far enough to catch. None of my newer PMags do this.

josey88
12-31-12, 17:28
I have 14 gen1 P-mags... 7 of them are foliage green with the transaparent window . All of them work fine , not a single problem , but I treat them well and I have not abused them . No need at all for replacement in some long time and even if I wanted I don`t think I will find one new or old anywhere , lol ...

Vendetta
12-31-12, 17:44
Not everyone is in a position to treat them well, given their work environment. It basically comes down to, if they don't work, throw them out. Or if they're not working with your specific lower, trade them with a buddy who has some that will work.