PDA

View Full Version : Gallup: 74% of Americans oppose handgun ban.

GeorgiaBoy
12-28-12, 12:49
Didn't see a thread or any posts about Gallup's latest gun polling data released this week.

New polling is very positive. American's views on guns have not drastically changed, though the amount of Americans wanting more gun control has risen slightly.

Ban support on high-capacity magazines is at 62%, not surprising.

Assault weapon ban still hinges on the 51-44%, but opposition still remains a lot higher than pre-2008 polls.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/159569/americans-stricter-gun-laws-oppose-bans.aspx

SHIVAN
12-28-12, 13:24
I think their sample size was 1477 people. I have a feeling the real sentiment can not be captured in such a tiny, tiny sample size -- statistical validity be damned.

GeorgiaBoy
12-28-12, 13:25
How would you think the polling would vary if larger sample sizes were used?

For better or worse regarding guns?

SHIVAN
12-28-12, 13:47
There are about 235,000,000 voting aged people in the country. Just over half actually vote, but only for presidential elections, otherwise, less than half vote.

I had a sentence here, because I read it somewhere. This is an edit: LAV used a more believable number @ 300,000,000 guns in this country. Of course not everyone has one, but....

I suspect that it's a complete crapshoot on what "America" really thinks about the 2nd Amendment, and I don't believe that 1477 polled individuals can accurately capture all the differing opinions, especially with very nuanced questions such as this.

Ask something less gray, like, "Do you believe the government should pursue the confiscation of guns?" See how that polls.

Jaysop
12-28-12, 15:24
How would you think the polling would vary if larger sample sizes were used?

For better or worse regarding guns?

It also depends on where the sample is from. If you ask that many people In NYC it would be different the rural Texas.

SteyrAUG
12-28-12, 15:41
I wonder if that poll automatically excluded those linking from gun forums like so many do. Of course if you link from a political forum like DU.com that doesn't seem to be a problem.