PDA

View Full Version : My new Galil 5.56 AR. . .

Garys4598
12-28-12, 14:47
Two weeks ago I received my new Galil AR chambered in 5.56 NATO. The receiver was recently purchased from CNC Warrior and I shipped it with a complete Galil parts kit to Jeff Miller of Hillbilly Firearms (Tennessee). Jeff's work is terrific and his option to have the IDF logo and Hebrew engraving on the receiver really sets the rifle off IMO. Anyway. . .

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd29/Garys4598/CIMG5147.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd29/Garys4598/CIMG5145.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd29/Garys4598/CIMG5140.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd29/Garys4598/CIMG5143.jpg

I had "fresh" trit Galil night sights installed in her as well:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd29/Garys4598/CIMG5152.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd29/Garys4598/CIMG5151.jpg

JBecker 72
12-28-12, 14:54
Nice! I want a Galil pretty bad. Part of my Counter Strike gun collection. :D

Seagunner
12-28-12, 15:06
Yes, I agree. Very nice rifle

WickedWillis
12-28-12, 15:11
Nice! I want a Galil pretty bad. Part of my Counter Strike gun collection. :D

Hahaha I love this quote! I got blasted the other day for making a Gamer comment on here, Nice to see I am not alone. great looking rifle though.

Nazgul
12-28-12, 15:30
Very nice!

I like the Hebrew markings as well.

Don

Traveshamockery
12-28-12, 16:32
Oh...oh my. That is fantastic.

Jaws
12-28-12, 18:35
That's beautiful.:)

Congrats.

KTR03
12-28-12, 19:19
What barrel are you using? Is it an IDF 1/12? If so, can you do some accuracy testing with 55,62... with it?

Garys4598
12-28-12, 19:32
What barrel are you using? Is it an IDF 1/12? If so, can you do some accuracy testing with 55,62... with it?

It is an 18" 1:7 twist, chrome lined barrel. Jeff Miller has them in stock for the Galils that he builds. I could have opted for a SS Douglas barrel from him, but opted for his standard barrel. I have not yet fired the rifle, so no word yet on its relative accuracy with 55gr and 62gr bullets.

windigo
12-28-12, 20:44
That's a real fine rifle. You don't find many specimens like that.

kaltesherz
12-29-12, 11:33
Holy shit thats hot, how much did that set you back? And where did you find the Galil parts kit? I've wanted a non-Golani Galil for awhile...

geistacwm
12-29-12, 11:53
Beautiful rifle sir.

7.62WildBill
12-29-12, 14:01
Very nice Galil. What species of wood are the hand guard and grip made from? Do you know what type of finish is on them?

Quiet
12-29-12, 14:34
Sweet Galil.

warpigM-4
12-29-12, 17:52
Outstanding rifle I have always Loved the Galil

KalashniKEV
12-29-12, 19:53
That rifle looks AMAZING!

Between the components used, the build quality, finish, engraving, and furniture, that's probably the perfect Galil.

Jeff is truly a master.

gun71530
12-29-12, 20:02
Beautiful rifle, I'm jealous.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

wingspar
12-29-12, 20:40
Yes, another one curious about how much you paid for it. I saw one the other day for $1,400, but I’m not sure it was 5.56. His photos weren’t nearly as nice as yours, so I can’t really see what kind of condition his is in.

bondmid003
12-29-12, 21:37
They were selling one to raise money for the NRA over at ak forum

xrayoneone
12-29-12, 21:40
Awesome. I've wanted to make an R6 for a long time. Unfortunately I'm at a place that doesn't allow such things.

CCM
12-30-12, 00:17
That is one sharp rifle. The Hebrew does set it off.

Diezel
12-30-12, 18:23
you have a great looking rifle there. Being a big AK fan, the galil rifles always interested me. I would love to hear how well it performs, especially since the majority of galils appear to be century builds (which isnt always a negative).

LMT Shooter
12-30-12, 18:39
I always love the Galil, this is making me want to buy one again.

bondmid003
12-30-12, 21:39
Yeah the Hebrew does it for me as well, nice rifle

maddawg5777
12-31-12, 02:00
Great looking rifle there. I was trying to get my hands on one a couple years ago but all I could find was cai imports. So I shyed away. May have to attempt to look again.

twistedcomrade
12-31-12, 09:50
That is one sweet looking rifle. I to would love to here how it shoots.

doubletap
12-31-12, 10:30
Very nice!

Garys4598
12-31-12, 11:34
Wow. . . I'm surprised and humbled by all the kind comments regarding my Galil AR. Thank you Gentlemen!

Personally, I always liked Mr. David Tong's assessment of the IMI Galil (taken from www.chuckhaws.com):

". . .The Galil is thus a product improved AK. Reverting to a milled from forged receiver like the original AK's made the rifle about ½ pound heavier than a stamped steel receiver and this stiffer receiver flexed less and provided a more stable mount for a higher quality barrel. In addition, the Israelis changed the way the bolt locked; the rotating, two lug bolt locks into recesses in the receiver rather than into a barrel extension. It can be argued that this provided an easier maintenance regimen for the trooper, as well as possibly providing even more room for grit in the action before the rifle malfunctioned. . . IMI relocated the rear sight to the rear of the sheet steel action cover and provided a simple L shaped flip type sight for 300m battle zero and a longer range aperture for 300-500m, although achieving incapacitating hits with a 5.56mm carbine at that range with iron sights would be problematic at best. They also modified the front sight in that windage is now accomplished by a click adjustable, opposing screw arrangement. This moves the entire front sight base on a dovetail cut into the gas block, while retaining the height adjustment of the AK. In addition, the Galil was probably the first service rifle issued with tritium night sights, which had spring detents and were flipped into position as needed and just as easily folded out of the way during the day. . ."

Holy shit thats hot, how much did that set you back? And where did you find the Galil parts kit? I've wanted a non-Golani Galil for awhile...
The Galil parts kit was purchased from Blackthorneproducts.com (e.g., Blackthorne Industries) to the tune of just over $650 to $700+... and that is where in my opinion the customer "gets raped" because just a few years back these very same parts kits could be purchased for half of the price that Blackthorne is currently selling them for. But hey, their parts kits are comprised of essentially new and/or mint components. . . and they are "the only game in town" to acquire a Galil parts kit, providing one doesn't choose to purchase a beat-up kit off of gunbroker.

Very nice Galil. What species of wood are the hand guard and grip made from? Do you know what type of finish is on them?
The wood furniture is from Silver Crescent Industries and is manufactured from European beech wood. Regarding the wood's finish. . . with my rifle I personally re-finished the furniture by spraying on multiple coats of pre-catalyzed lacquer, prior to shipping the furniture off with the Galil parts kit to Jeff Miller for assembly.

kaltesherz
12-31-12, 14:25
I checked out Blackthorneproducts.com and considering their kits come without a mag or buttstock (!) and current wait time is at least 4 months (!!!) I think I'll pass- which is too bad 'cause man, you just gave me a serious case of Galil envy. I'd love to get a SAR clone with a pinned 14.5" barrel, but looks like that might be a pipe-dream.

Garys4598
12-31-12, 15:04
I checked out Blackthorneproducts.com and considering their kits come without a mag or buttstock (!) and current wait time is at least 4 months (!!!) I think I'll pass- which is too bad 'cause man, you just gave me a serious case of Galil envy. I'd love to get a SAR clone with a pinned 14.5" barrel, but looks like that might be a pipe-dream.
Yes. . . the situation really sucks. Just four or so months ago when I purchased my parts kit from Blackthorne, it came with everything (i.e., with a galil folding buttstock), except the receiver and magazine(s).

Pilot1
12-31-12, 15:27
Very nice rifle. I have always liked the Galil, and think it is a nice hybrid rifle correcting a lot of the issues of the AK.

wayne1one
12-31-12, 19:12
Looks great!!

HighSpeedDreams
12-31-12, 20:09
Really gorgeous!

alvincullumyork
12-31-12, 21:10
My brother is down in Columbia right now riding his motorcycle to the tip of SA and back. Through most of the countries he has ridden through he stops and talks to the soldiers and in Columbia he got a picture with one who had a pretty sweet looking Galil.

Rosco Benson
01-01-13, 12:48
Ken Hackathorn brought a 5.56 ARM over for the gang to try out back in 1980-somthin'...when they first hit the market here. A little heavy, but impressive. Back in Marietta, Ken and John Miller threw the rifle into mud puddles, drove Ken's VW bug over it, and generally abused it for an article.

I've yet to find a good way of mounting a red-dot on one. The various railed forends all put the optic too high, but still end up with too much front sight in the view.

Nice to see that 1:7 barrels are available.

Rosco

Garys4598
01-01-13, 18:08
I completed a little project today. . . installed a foam rubber tube around my Galil's rear stock top tube.

Initially; plan "A" was to knock-out the vertical roll pin that holds the two stock tubes in place at the rear stock's hinge. . . but after placing my rifle in a bench vise and taking a few whacks at the roll pin with an appropriate sized punch and hammer. . . that pin just seemed to NOT want to move. So I opted for a safer yet not as 'clean' looking option; plan "B" which was to split the foam tubing and affix it in place with zip ties (something Jeff Miller recommended to me).

The foam tubing used was 3/4" inner diameter, with a thickness of approximately 0.195". I purchased two pieces of tubing, both 15" long, in the event I screwed-up during the first attempt. The below photos pretty much depicts the stages of this quick project, and the results.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd29/Garys4598/CIMG5159.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd29/Garys4598/CIMG5163.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd29/Garys4598/CIMG5165.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd29/Garys4598/CIMG5167.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd29/Garys4598/CIMG5166.jpg

Personally, I genuinely like and prefer the feel of the foam rubber on my check when I mount the rifle to my shoulder. . . and the slightly wider diameter of the top tube feels much more comfortable.

Next, I'm going to procure several different types of velcro cable fasteners. Providing they hold the foam tubing in place securely, I believe they will give the rear stock a cleaner look than the zip-ties.

~Gary

enforcer22
01-01-13, 18:56
Beautiful rifle!

KalashniKEV
01-01-13, 19:28
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd29/Garys4598/CIMG5166.jpg

Holy crap... are you for real with this???

Garys4598
01-02-13, 11:46
Holy crap... are you for real with this???
Ahhhh. . . not sure what you're driving at?

kaltesherz
01-02-13, 11:49
Ahhhh. . . not sure what you're driving at?

Probably because you've got the most beautiful Galil on the block and you just threw some foam tubing and zipties on it. But hey, it's your rifle...

Garys4598
01-02-13, 12:13
Probably because you've got the most beautiful Galil on the block and you just threw some foam tubing and zipties on it. But hey, it's your rifle...
Agreed; the plastic zip-ties look like crapola (all things considered). Once I get the velcro straps, I believe the rear stock appearance-wise will be much better. ;)

KalashniKEV
01-02-13, 13:38

This.

Agreed that it's your rifle, I just find it a bit... shocking.
:confused:

Also, these would probably hold up to the fight better:

http://utahbiodieselsupply.com/images/hoseclamps.gif

Just hit them with a coat of FDE spray paint first and put red paint-pen witness marks on them once secure.

Garys4598
01-02-13, 14:06
This.

Agreed that it's your rifle, I just find it a bit... shocking.
:confused:

Also, these would probably hold up to the fight better:

http://utahbiodieselsupply.com/images/hoseclamps.gif

Just hit them with a coat of FDE spray paint first and put red paint-pen witness marks on them once secure.

Wow. You're a "hater" aren't ya?

Anyone that would use galvanized pipe clamps on their firearm IS a . . . I'll let you fill in the blank yourself. Before even beginning to consider using something like these on my Galil, I'd first :suicide:

TV-PressPass
01-02-13, 15:13
Oooooo now I suddenly wish I'd gotten Hebrew markings on my Tavor.

Very cool!

Matt C.
01-02-13, 15:53
That is so sweet!

01-02-13, 18:43
I wrapped my tube stock with parachute cord. I had the foam on like yours but the cord looks much better.
http://hobbyhorse.com/guns/DSCN0109.JPG

alvincullumyork
01-02-13, 19:44
I don't think the zip ties look that bad but they definitely don't look right on the rifle but who cares. If its comfy and works rock it.

wetidlerjr
01-02-13, 19:56
Your rifle looks real good!
Jeff did some work for me on a Golani I used to have. He does outstanding work and is one great guy to deal with.

Garys4598
01-03-13, 20:28
The JARD AK47 Trigger Upgrade Kit arrived in the mail today. I intend to install it tomorrow after work. . . having high hopes that I won't run into any significant issues with the install (I installed an identical JARD trigger in my Saiga IZ-240 rifle two months ago). If things go as planned, I should be able to take my Galil out to the firing range on Saturday to see how both the rifle and the trigger performs. I absolutely luv this trigger in my Saiga rifle; the trigger break feels crisper and the military creep experienced with the TAPCO G2 FCG is reduced by more than half.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd29/Garys4598/CIMG5168.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd29/Garys4598/CIMG5171.jpg

alvincullumyork
01-03-13, 23:16
What does a trigger swap involve in a galil? I am assuming it must be almost identical to an AK swap but I have no idea what that entails either.

I guess what I am asking is what kind of tools/experience do you need?

Garys4598
01-04-13, 08:20
What does a trigger swap involve in a galil? I am assuming it must be almost identical to an AK swap but I have no idea what that entails either.

I guess what I am asking is what kind of tools/experience do you need?
Yes, the FCG swap is essentially identical to that of an AK. All one needs is possibly a punch (for the receiver's side axis pins) and a long tool such as a thin screw driver or dental pick.

There are multiple videos on youtube that walks one through the steps. It's not difficult whatsoever.

JBecker 72
01-04-13, 08:36
I think you should ditch the foam and go with the 550 cord like this. :)

I wrapped my tube stock with parachute cord. I had the foam on like yours but the cord looks much better.
http://hobbyhorse.com/guns/DSCN0109.JPG

Doc. Holiday
01-04-13, 09:30
The paracord def looks better, but dude it's your gun and I'm pretty sure the only stamp of approval you will ever need is your own, not everyone elses. If it works for you, it works for you. Great rifle!

Garys4598
01-04-13, 09:57
The paracord def looks better, but dude it's your gun and I'm pretty sure the only stamp of approval you will ever need is your own, not everyone elses. If it works for you, it works for you. Great rifle!
At the risk of pissing-off a few members, I'll be blunt (and this is not directed at you Doc. Holiday, but moreso at JBecker 72): Wrapping paracord around a rear stock of a rifle, IMO is utterly stupid. Sure, on certain tactical long guns it "looks cool". . . and gee, in the event of a SHTF or EOTW event, you have yourself a readily available source of 'survival cord'. . . but the degradation to the shooter's cheek weld which paracord offers is a non-starter for me. I say no true "rifleman" would even begin to consider wrapping that sort of shit around his rear stock, unless it was a field expedient measure to keep a broken stock together.

Just my opinion. :big_boss:

Doc. Holiday
01-04-13, 10:21
No offense taken. I understand your point of view. It's rifle and you should be proud of it. You don't need my approval or anyone else's.

Garys4598
01-05-13, 20:45
Took my Galil AR out to the firing range this morning and put 100 rounds of 55gr. through her. Not a single hiccup. . . the spent brass was being thrown a mile at 2 o'clock. . . but I was receiving mild "trigger slap" which was just slightly annoying.

Got her home, cleaned her up. . . and then proceeded to swap the TAPCO G2 double hook FCG for the JARD FCG. Thankfully, everything lines up (except for the hammer) and all component parts seem to engage and release appropriately. The thing with the hammer is, it's not perfectly aligned "center" inside the receiver and therefore it's hitting the firing pin slightly to the left side of the hammer's face. So. . . I need to take the FCG out, remove some material from the hammer's cross member to get it to slide more to the left; center within the receiver, add a washer or two on the right inside on the hammer cross axis pin to ensure the hammer stays dead-center during functioning, and then 'lock everything down' and take her out to the firing range tomorrow morning to see how she does.

I have high hopes for this JARD AK47 FCG. If it functions like the one I installed in my Saiga IZ-240 rifle. . . in my humble opinion, my Galil will be golden. :dance3:

01-06-13, 07:51
At the risk of pissing-off a few members, I'll be blunt (and this is not directed at you Doc. Holiday, but moreso at JBecker 72): Wrapping paracord around a rear stock of a rifle, IMO is utterly stupid. Sure, on certain tactical long guns it "looks cool". . . and gee, in the event of a SHTF or EOTW event, you have yourself a readily available source of 'survival cord'. . . but the degradation to the shooter's cheek weld which paracord offers is a non-starter for me. I say no true "rifleman" would even begin to consider wrapping that sort of shit around his rear stock, unless it was a field expedient measure to keep a broken stock together.

Just my opinion. :big_boss:

You are certainly entitled you your opinion. The cord actually helped my check weld and keeps the stock from being too hot to put my face on or too cold. Cheap and easliy removed if I change my mind.

Garys4598
01-06-13, 15:15
Well. . . I was unsuccessful this morning out at the firing range, to get the JARD FCG to function correctly. It could very well be that in spite of the FCG "fitting together" within the Galil's receiver, the angle of alignment of the hammer to the trigger's transfer/disconnect lever (component part #1 of the FCG as identified in the diagram contained in post #49 above) is slightly askew; not correct.

After making multiple adjustments to the Disconnect Screw (item #4 in the diagram), either the weapon would fire, the trigger reset but not allow for a second trigger break. . . or the friggen thing would not appropriately engage the transfer/disconnect lever and therefore the Galil would want to go auto. (Bloody good thing I was consistently inserting in my rifle magazines that had only two rounds in them).

So for now, the JARD FCG seems to me to be "a bust" for the Galil. Such is currently my personal experience any way.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd29/Garys4598/CIMG5185.jpg

Garys4598
01-07-13, 08:23
I have not completely given up yet. I need to get a mirror down inside the receiver and see how the transfer disconnect lever is and is not engaging. It is quite likely I'll be able to get the FCG to work appropriately.

Doc. Holiday
01-07-13, 09:22
You'll be able to figure it out some way. Keep us informed on your findings.

Garys4598
01-07-13, 23:32
Well, I'm pretty-darned sure I figured it out and I've fixed the issue. After speaking with both Jeff Miller and a technician from JARD Inc. this afternoon. . . I field stripped and placed my Galil in my bench vise and took a hard look at how the trigger disconnect lever wasn't functioning properly. It turns out I had one of the three adjustment set screws set incorrectly; screwed in too deeply. It was preventing the trigger from teetering backward far enough to allow for the disconnect lever to engage during the bolt's cycling.

Anyway, following the JARD technician's trigger function procedures, the FCG seems to be working exactly as designed now. I'M STOKED! I won't know for sure that she is fixed until I take the rifle back out to the firing range this coming weekend.

:dirol:

Garys4598
01-09-13, 09:33
For what it may be worth, below are photos of the JARD FCG installed in my Galil AR.

NOTE: It is difficult to see in the first and second photo below, but I've replaced the interior pivot cross-axis pins retaining E-clips (or whatever they are called) with an AXIS PIN RETAINING PLATE "UNIVERSAL" purchased from Carolina Shooters Supply. It works perfectly, and will allow me easier FCG removal in the future when I want to thoroughly clean the receiver's interior.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd29/Garys4598/CIMG5186.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd29/Garys4598/CIMG5189.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd29/Garys4598/CIMG5195.jpg

Garys4598
01-12-13, 16:20
Took my Galil AR out to the firing range this morning (it was a nippy 23 degrees outside) and put just over 200 rounds through her. Did not experience a single hiccup or issue with the JARD trigger group. So. . . I'm calling this baby DONE!

~Gary

Garys4598
02-05-13, 08:25
I spoke too soon; the rifle isn't quite "done" yet.

A manual BHO device arrived in the mail yesterday. Figured I'd cut a thin slot in the bottom of my Galil's receiver and install this BHO. It is a major pain in the arse to get a chamber safety flag into the rifle's chamber while at the firing range, without some sort of bolt hold open device.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd29/Garys4598/CIMG5232_zps06e41465.jpg

Garys4598
02-18-13, 00:46
My little project during the weekend was to cut a slot in the bottom of my Galil's receiver, and install the manual bolt hold open (BHO) device. Everything went without a hitch; the BHO functions just perfectly. I didn't even have to remove wood from the pistol grip to accommodate the BHO's tab. I did have to remove a little metal from the top of the BHO due to the thickness of the Galil's internal rails (much thicker in comparison to a stamped steel receiver), in order for it's catch to extend high enough to appropriately mate with the bottom of the bolt assembly. I could not be more pleased with this mod.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd29/Garys4598/CIMG5248_zps830b827a.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd29/Garys4598/CIMG5250_zps7ecfc7c3.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd29/Garys4598/CIMG5267_zpsac8490e0.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd29/Garys4598/CIMG5266_zpse2f4c0f8.jpg

Sooie
02-18-13, 00:59
Looks great!!

I've always wanted a galil!

Doc. Holiday
02-18-13, 08:59
If you ever get the stupid idea of selling that rifle, PLEASE call me! ;)

Garys4598
08-13-13, 10:32
Not being fully satisfied with my Galil AR's accuracy performance (not that it's poor or anything, considering it's a battle rifle), I shipped it back to Jeff Miller of Hillbilly Firearms last week to have him perform the following "upgrades" or mods:

-- Replace the Green Mountain 18" 1:7 twist barrel with a Douglas stainless steel 20.5" 1:9 twist that will have a heavier contour/profile. Jeff Miller refers to the contouring of this barrel as his "AT&T" barrel. I won't be shooting anything heavier than 62gr out of her, so the 1:9 twist should be pretty-much ideal. He is also going to cut a .223 Wylde chamber which will allow me to appropriately shoot both 5.56 NATO and .223 Rem ammunition.

-- 'Ramp' the barrel's breech to preclude any contact of the bullet's nose during feeding. To facilitate this Jeff will also be swapping the Galil's OEM 5.56 bolt head with a Saiga 5.45x39mm bolt head, which he will be modding so that the 5.56x45 cartridge will seat into the bolt's face snuggly. He will also be swapping the Galil's OEM bolt carrier with a Russian 5.45 bolt carrier. . . although I did specify to him that I additionally wanted to be able to use the OEM bolt carrier with it's upswept charging handle whenever I choose. . . so he is going to press-fit a steel sleeve into the bolt carrier so that the thinner shafted 5.45x39 bolt head will appropriately function in the Galil bolt carrier (ahhhh. . . confused yet?).

-- Replace the OEM gas tube with an original IMI picatinny railed gas tube, to allow me to mount a handgun scope forward, in "scout rifle" configuration. I plan to mount a Burris 3-12x32 Handgun Scope with quick detach rings on this Galil. Due to the scope's overall length, when mounted to the gas tube I will not be able to appropriately access the Galil's upswept vertical bolt charging handle. . . which is why the Russian bolt carrier with its standard AK charging handle will prove useful. I'm also replacing the Galil receiver's top cover that has the welded-on rear sight aperture, with a Bulgarian AK-47 smooth top cover, which will have a Valmet ejection port buffer to prevent all the dents and dings on the spent 5.56 brass casings during ejection.

-- Modify the bayonet mount and bottom of the Galil gas/front sight block; weld-on a short piece of picatinny rail there to provide for a bipod mount. With the thicker, heavier Douglas SS barrel's profile, Jeff believes mounting a bipod to the bottom of the rifle's gas block will not affect the rifle's POI consistency. We shall see. ;)

Once the Galil rifle comes back to me, I'll take a few photos of the changes and mods and post them here.

~Gary

Doc. Holiday
08-19-13, 10:29
What was the MOA?