PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Shot Show Optics

Singlestack Wonder
12-29-12, 11:23
With the Shot Show just a few weeks away, will the 2013 show feature any new ground breaking features in optics or will the new offerings just be incrementally improved from last year?

Your opinions or insights?

TomD
12-29-12, 17:12
WAIT AND SEE FOR YOURSELF.

Singlestack Wonder
01-03-13, 08:23
New Nightforce "Beast" and "ATACR" Offerings.....

http://nightforceoptics.com/beast/

http://nightforceoptics.com/atacr/

New reticles for the NXS Compacts. "FC-3G" is now availble on the 1-4 and the "IHR" is available on the 2.5-10. The "MOAR" reticle is also available on the 2.5-10.

http://nightforceoptics.com/compacts/1-4x24-nxs-compact-riflescope/

http://nightforceoptics.com/compacts/2-5-10x32-nxs-compact-riflescope/

kmrtnsn
01-03-13, 10:20
The one optic that I am interested in hearing more about is the Bushnell replacement for the FLP Spotting Scope. What I have heard and seen so far is impressive, 8X40, Horus R-32 reticule, NV adaptable. Anxious for pricing and availability to be released.

cop1211
01-03-13, 17:46
Love the NF stuff. Just wish they would upgrade to a daylight visible illumination.

I've got a 1-4 FC2 and love it, but it be just that much better with day illumination.

Singlestack Wonder
01-04-13, 14:42
Love the NF stuff. Just wish they would upgrade to a daylight visible illumination.

I've got a 1-4 FC2 and love it, but it be just that much better with day illumination.

I agree. I spoke with them yesterday in regards to the 1-4X with the FC-3G reticle and asked if the dot illumination had been improved. The answer was no. When asked if better illumination was in the plans, again no. :(

01-04-13, 17:17
Been reading about the Gen 2 Bushnell HDMR "LRS". 10 mils per rev and zero stop. :cool:
Also the 4.5-30x version..

Hammar
01-04-13, 19:03
I agree. I spoke with them yesterday in regards to the 1-4X with the FC-3G reticle and asked if the dot illumination had been improved. The answer was no. When asked if better illumination was in the plans, again no. :(

I just cannot understand their complete resistance to this.

Singlestack Wonder
01-09-13, 12:38
New Hi-Lux Optics CMR4

http://www.thetacticalwire.com/story/276788

Singlestack Wonder
01-09-13, 12:40
Meprolight Will Introduce New Thermal and Enhanced Weapon Sight Systems at SHOT

http://www.thetacticalwire.com/story/276797

Singlestack Wonder
01-09-13, 12:42
New Zeiss CONQUEST HD5 Riflescope Line

http://www.thetacticalwire.com/story/276814

Singlestack Wonder
01-09-13, 12:47
New Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x FFP

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-pst-2-5-10x32-ffp-riflescope-with-ebr-1-moa-reticle

glocktogo
01-09-13, 13:39
Any chance we'll see improved offerings on lightweight optics? The optics trend for the past several years to ever bigger, ever heavier scopes is in direct contradiction to the trend towards lighter rifles and carbines. Not everyone wanting to mount a magnified optic is putting it on a 15# sniper rifle. :(

P.S., How did they manage to shrink the Viper PST 2.5-10 down from 44mm to 32mm, yet only knock a tenth of an ounce off the weight? :rolleyes:

snakedoctor
01-09-13, 13:42
Hopefully Trijicon will address the current RMR zero issues.

96 SS
01-09-13, 18:02
RMR zero issues?

snakedoctor
01-09-13, 18:45
RMR zero issues?

Mainly for shooters using them on handguns, but if it can lose zero on a handgun it'll lose zero on another weapon system.

Singlestack Wonder
01-11-13, 17:19
New IOR 1.5-8x FFP IOR Valdada Offering....

http://www.valdada.com/1-5-8x26-35mm-trident-tactical-ffp-308-bdc-knob-circle-dot-x1-super-bright-reticle

New Circle-Dot X1 Reticle.........

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii183/Singlestack_Wonder/CD-X1_zps51b7e685.png

IOR Valdada also released a new reticle for the existing 1.5-8x SFP Trident scope....

http://www.valdada.com/scopes/tactical-scopes/1-5-8x26-35mm-tactical-illuminated-cqb-with-bdc

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii183/Singlestack_Wonder/CQB-X1_zps4e8554d3.png

VIP3R 237
01-11-13, 22:09

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-pst-2-5-10x32-ffp-riflescope-with-ebr-1-moa-reticle

That is very exciting. I have one of their 4-16 FFP's and its awesome. This will be perfect for my new 308 i just picked up.

Starcraftmlg
01-11-13, 22:15
My G33 EoTech is coming home on Monday! I am so excited!

Singlestack Wonder
01-12-13, 11:59
IOR Valdada's improved reticle illumination last year resulted in a true bright daylight visible illumination. With the new Circle-Dot X1 reticle, this is a compelling offering. Now if they could offer a 1x at the low end.

00bullitt
01-13-13, 19:08

It is a little bit more involved than just upgrading the illumination. If it were that easy to achieve daylight visible reticle illumination, we would have done so long ago.

Its easier to design and develop a completely new scope which is the plan. Sorry, cannot share any details.

We believe that daylight illumination is a critical feature and we intend to incorporate such in to future designs.

The FC-3G is an improved reticle design that is long overdue in our NXS 1-4. It does in fact contrast nicely for fast acquisition.

If you stop by our booth, please ask for Tod and introduce yourself.

ALCOAR
01-13-13, 19:26
The reason I buy NF is because I know that I will be getting a product that has been tested by standards higher than all others, and that all the features, designs, and technology found in them have been proven to be truly effective.

If NF delivers a 1-4x w/ the super duper fully day light vis ret. in the future, than you can count on it being exceptionally functional, and super reliable.

The only thing NF screwed up that I can ever recall is shelving the NXSc 2.5-10x24. By many people's opinion including my own very strong one....that's still the finest AR precision optic made. So small, so powerful, so bombproof.

thopkins22
01-13-13, 20:03
Trijicon will no doubt leave us hanging without a 1-6x/1->4x Accupoint with a BDC/Mils/Some kind of stadia lines for holdovers.

:(

If they do bring one out for less than 2k I'd be all over it and probably buy two.

Ditto for NF.

What's the difference between that BEAST and ATACR? Just the 56mm objective and reticle options?

ETA: Saw that there is something in the elevation adjustment as well.

00bullitt
01-13-13, 20:13
Right now the ATACR is only available as a SFP optic. The BEAST is an F1 with some added features such as digital dual color illumination known as DigIllum, Extreme Speed elevation adjustment, 360 degree brake control. Both come standard with the ZeroStop.

They are actually two different optical designs. The ATACR retails for $2400 and the BEAST retails for $3400.

Both are phenomenal.

FlyingHunter
01-13-13, 21:17
Curious, with all of the interest in the RMR option on handguns, is any manufacturer going to deliver anything new in this market segment?

M4Fundi
01-14-13, 20:34
Trijicon will no doubt leave us hanging without a 1-6x/1->4x Accupoint with a BDC/Mils/Some kind of stadia lines for holdovers.

:(

If they do bring one out for less than 2k I'd be all over it and probably buy two.

Ditto for NF.

What's the difference between that BEAST and ATACR? Just the 56mm objective and reticle options?

ETA: Saw that there is something in the elevation adjustment as well.

Trij rep whispered to me that I should look out for an Accupoint with ranging capabilities, nod, wink, read between the lines etc., so maybe your wishes will be answered.

M4Fundi
01-14-13, 20:37
Here is a thread I started with the new S&B Stratos specs

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=121571

Mak8080
01-15-13, 10:13
Trij rep whispered to me that I should look out for an Accupoint with ranging capabilities, nod, wink, read between the lines etc., so maybe your wishes will be answered.

Wow...finally! Looking forward to this one.

M4Fundi
01-15-13, 11:44

We'll see... I am beginning to think there is a conspiracy for all scope makers to create great optics with crappy reticles... so I don't get too excited about these sneaky harbingers of the latest greatest optic to come:rolleyes:

thopkins22
01-15-13, 11:48
We'll see... I am beginning to think there is a conspiracy for all scope makers to create great optics with crappy reticles... so I don't get too excited about these sneaky harbingers of the latest greatest optic to come:rolleyes:

Yep...we've been floated hope for two years. We shall see. But I've got a new 16" stainless recce from BCM just waiting on it.

Magic_Salad0892
01-15-13, 12:04
Don't forget the crappy optics with great reticles...

James00
01-15-13, 12:09
I just hope Nightforce brings back the 2.5-10x24 for civies

TurretGunner
01-15-13, 13:09
I just hope Nightforce brings back the 2.5-10x24 for civies

Despite the NF rep on TOS claiming that the x32 had 30-40 times the sales of the x24.........I think its BS

Everyone seems to agree that the x24 is the BEST compact, combat optic out there. There is a reason people are paying $1700+ for a used one.

It makes no sense whatsoever to not offer it. I would buy one or two in a hearbeat. There is nothing that comes close to the size, power, and durrability that the x24 offers.

NF is really pissing off its customer bases. That coupled along with their ever increasing prices..... pushing into S&B, USO and Hensdolt territory... I don't know why people buy their stuff.

M4Fundi
01-15-13, 17:56
Yep...we've been floated hope for two years. We shall see. But I've got a new 16" stainless recce from BCM just waiting on it.

By the way your avatar is my favorite! I hope you will post some photos of him/her in the guard dog/cat thread:p

VIP3R 237
01-15-13, 23:48

Its big and heavy but pretty badass. Its essentially a smart scope with a built in range finder and ballistic calculator that even incorporates angles into the calculation.

Bulletdog
01-16-13, 00:39
Spent half the day walking back and forth from Spectre to Leupold to Schmidt and Bender.

Elcan, Short Dot or MK VI... Decisions decisions...

Elcan is great, but it's heavy. They seem to have fixed the past problems with the zero shift, but is that A.R.M.S. mount trustworthy? Crystal clear lens and great FOV.

Short Dot is great, but very expensive, no mount, and eye relief is not as forgiving. Also reaching over to crank from low to high power is not as fast as throwing a lever. Great glass, positive controls and obvious quality.

Mark VI one to six power was great. Same story as the S&B, but for less money.

Interestingly, I've used Bushnell in the past on plinking rifles and they have a new "AR" offering. 1-4 with an adjustable illuminated red dot in the middle. Looked good. Worked well. The glass was a little blurred around the outer edges but the majority of the center looked great. Only $300. I wouldn't want to go to war with it, but it wouldn't be bad for varminting.

96 SS
01-16-13, 01:01
Hi-Lux is showing off their new CMR in 7.62x39mm and set up with left side windage knob all ready for your AK.

armakraut
01-16-13, 02:20
Trijicon finally delivered on all its promises. I mean that is if someone over at Trijicon had promised you a 3X30 TA33 ACOG with a .300 blackout calibrated reticle.

Looks like the Accupoint line remains unchanged. No 1-6x, no ranging reticles.

Read it and weep.

http://www.trijicon.com/resources/downloads/Trijicon_Brochure_2013.pdf

dangerdan
01-16-13, 09:31
S&B 3-27x56

Mak8080
01-16-13, 09:54
I had a chance to pop over to Trijicon. Pretty disappointed in their Accupoint line. A 1-6x or 1-8x would have been nice.

Krusty783
01-16-13, 20:18
Are there any new offerings in the 1-4x or 1-6x range for scopes? I'm in the market for one and am looking at Vortex, GRSC, or Burris. I was hoping there would be something new at SHOT in this market segment.

bmg
01-16-13, 21:53
Anything interesting from Aimpoint?

VIP3R 237
01-16-13, 22:06

Nothing new this year. Just great products and service as always. I scored a Hat :D

rauchman
01-17-13, 09:53
I had a chance to pop over to Trijicon. Pretty disappointed in their Accupoint line. A 1-6x or 1-8x would have been nice.

Agree. I keep on waiting for the ideal Accupoint scope, only to be dissapointed year after year.

ttusqrl
01-17-13, 15:24
Looks like the only new items are the nickel boron coated dual illums. Any idea what MSRP is going to be for these?

JoshNC
01-17-13, 17:41
Looks like the only new items are the nickel boron coated dual illums. Any idea what MSRP is going to be for these?

Probably just slightly less than the bejeweled rhinestone-studded ACOGs. NiB coated scopes....WTF?!

VIP3R 237
01-17-13, 22:33
Probably just slightly less than the bejeweled rhinestone-studded ACOGs. NiB coated scopes....WTF?!

Dont knock it until you look through one, it transmits more light than the older style. WMD is doing the nickel-boron application for trijicon.

C4IGrant
01-17-13, 22:36

Nope.

C4

Bulletdog
01-18-13, 01:13
Are there any new offerings in the 1-4x or 1-6x range for scopes? I'm in the market for one and am looking at Vortex, GRSC, or Burris. I was hoping there would be something new at SHOT in this market segment.

Vortex had a couple in this range. He told us they couldn't keep the 1-4 in stock anywhere. They also had other scopes in that range, but I looked at so many over the last two days, they are all blending together... Vortex had some good stuff though.

M4Fundi
01-18-13, 02:37
Anyone looked over the NEW Schmidt & Bender 1-5x Stratos???

krm375
01-18-13, 03:19
Anything on the S&B 1-8? The Leupold DAGR system? More on the Leupold 1-6x20? The Deon/March 1-8 ffp?

armakraut
01-18-13, 05:51
Anyone looked over the NEW Schmidt & Bender 1-5x Stratos???

Was told the price was going to be $3000-ish. Not crazy about the price or the apparent lack of field expedient illumination level control. Can't beat the glass though.

Singlestack Wonder
01-18-13, 08:28
New "Sport Optic" from Browe:

http://www.browe-inc.com/categories/4x32-BROWE-SPORT-Optic-%28BSO%29/

M4Fundi
01-19-13, 04:22
Was told the price was going to be $3000-ish. Not crazy about the price or the apparent lack of field expedient illumination level control. Can't beat the glass though.

They gave me all the docs on it and the illumination is supposed to be the big deal about it and yet "programming" sounds great and sketchy at the same time. What was your take on the downside for he illumination? Is this a 3Gun/Hunting only optic or does it have tactical potential?

krm375
01-19-13, 04:57
Anyone see the Kahles 1-6? The US optic 1-8 is also supposed to be an excellent scope.

VIP3R 237
01-19-13, 15:19
Anything on the S&B 1-8? The Leupold DAGR system? More on the Leupold 1-6x20? The Deon/March 1-8 ffp?

I looked through the S&B HK 1-8. What is very cool is that when you adjust the power from 1-8 down to the 'CC' mark you can feel a click in the power ring and the paralax is adjusted from 100 meters to 50.

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/Jason_Prisbrey/IMG_20130116_124721.jpg

armakraut
01-19-13, 15:52
They gave me all the docs on it and the illumination is supposed to be the big deal about it and yet "programming" sounds great and sketchy at the same time. What was your take on the downside for he illumination? Is this a 3Gun/Hunting only optic or does it have tactical potential?

The reticles are all going to be from their hunting flash dot line.

If the 1.1-5x24 Stratos is going to be $3000 and the 1-8x24 Zenith is $3400, not a hard choice on which one to go with.

The Stratos felt very lightweight compared to similar offerings. If my last name was MD, I know what scopes I'd buy exclusively.

Nick S
01-19-13, 17:50
What the S&B HK 1-8? The Short Dot 1-8 painted FDE with HK stamped on the side of some new vapor scope?

Blayglock
01-19-13, 18:49

This is the product that I am most excited about this year.

Steve S.
01-19-13, 23:07
Its big and heavy but pretty badass. Its essentially a smart scope with a built in range finder and ballistic calculator that even incorporates angles into the calculation.

You do know that's not meant for ARs, but rather mounted machine guns?

The CCAS (believe that's the name) is awesome - but it's for heavy mounted machine guns. Runs something like $40k and isn't even offered to civilians at this time. In other words, I shouldn't give much of a shit about it...

BUT...

I still think it was one of the coolest things at SHOT, and I keep in mind that technology always gets smaller, lighter, and less expensive (think of cellphones 10 years ago). So maybe in the future we will see something the size of an ACOG that offers the same or similar features.

For anyone who doesn't know the CCAS, you basically press the pressure switch or mounted button to laze a target. From there, the chevron reticle adjusts for range, elevation, and tracks the target. Just laze, follow the chevron reticle, and shoot. Pretty bad ass.

Steve S.
01-19-13, 23:15

I also would like to see this, but keep in mind they just launched a new line of pistol sights, the SRS, and working on keeping up with RMR support.

Without even getting into the manufacturing methods that Trijicon uses on their products, keep in mind that they have a lot of different products and reticles already. Consider how many different products Trijicon offers, then multiply that by the different reticle type, reticle colors, sight colors, etc - and keep in mind they supply tritium tubes to other weapon OEMs and night sight companies.

Basically, I'm just saying that I doubt they are taking the stance of "we don't want your money or feedback" - its an issue of supply and demand, and the fact they test the LIVING HELL out of every new product or update to existing products.

A year later, I'm surprised the SRS isn't taking off more than it has. Really liking that red dot sight.

VIP3R 237
01-19-13, 23:51
You do know that's not meant for ARs, but rather mounted machine guns?

I was assuming as much since it was mounted on a m2. Very cool technology though, and as you were saying it will be interesting to see how the technology advances in the next couple years.

Steve S.
01-20-13, 00:00
Lol. I figured that, dude. Just had to point it out - since weight is kind of a non issue - for anyone reading.

We should get some sort of dinner or drinks going for next year for M4C members to get together and chop it up face to face.

lethal dose
01-20-13, 00:04
New "Sport Optic" from Browe:

http://www.browe-inc.com/categories/4x32-BROWE-SPORT-Optic-%28BSO%29/

I find this very interesting. I would, for sure, skip the A.R.M.S. mount.

sinlessorrow
01-20-13, 00:06
I find this very interesting. I would, for sure, skip the A.R.M.S. mount.

Agreed, but that thing looks excellent. I love the IRT technology.

VIP3R 237
01-20-13, 00:25
Lol. I figured that, dude. Just had to point it out - since weight is kind of a non issue - for anyone reading.

We should get some sort of dinner or drinks going for next year for M4C members to get together and chop it up face to face.

Hell i can see an arfcom dude throwing one on his rifle and bragging about how schweet his 15 lb setup is.

Yeah for sure, I wouldve liked to this year but it was so hectic for me trying to set up contacts and dealerships to open a retail store and indoor range I dont know when I would've had the time.

AZ-Renegade
02-07-13, 16:44
Did anyone take a close look at the Bushnell Elite Tactical SMRS 1-8.5x while they were at the show?

GlockWRX
02-07-13, 17:12
Did anyone take a close look at the Bushnell Elite Tactical SMRS 1-8.5x while they were at the show?

I did. It's a very nice scope. The illuminated portion of the reticle was pretty bright, but not quite as bright as the one in the USO or Leupold Mk6. As you rotated to 1x it also resolved itself as a small ring rather than a dot. It also seemed to flicker a bit. The rep also said it's MSRP would be north of $2k.

I spent a lot of time bouncing between the Leupold Mk6 & Mk8, USO, Bushnell, and even the S&B (I forget the model number, but it's the tan German military issued version). Overall I liked the S&B the best, followed closely by the Mk8 and USO. After that was the Mk6. Coming in last was the Bushnell.

That's not to say the Bushnell was a bad scope by any means. All of those scopes are very nice, and I would definitely try to look through them before you buy. Optics are highly subjective.

The S&B and Mk8 are just way beyond my price range. The USO (the top military version), while less expensive is still a little more than I would want to spend, but is an awesome scope as well.

The Bushnell was nice, but I worry they have been a bit too aggressive with the pricing. It and the newer versions of the HDMR were great scopes, but they were asking over $2k for them. If they were in the $1800 range I think they would get more takes, including me.

For me, the price, features, and optical quality of the Mk6 was the best deal going.