PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite spotting scope

slapshot
12-29-12, 11:32
For you long range shooters, what is your favorite spotting scope that costs less than $750. I'm thinking a 20-60X80MM. I've seen a lot of different ones, but from the reviews, it's confusing. My shooting is pretty much limited to 200 yards and 22 cal holes are hard to see.

DTHN2LGS
12-29-12, 15:40
Kowa.

Deputyrpa
12-29-12, 15:50
My Japanese-made Tasco 18TAZ 20-60x80.

taliv
12-31-12, 16:44
for HP style shooting where you're looking at the target from prone while trying not to disturb your position, get an angled eyepiece. kowa is a great recommendation. look for a used one. for sniper-style match where you're actually looking for targets and need the FOV, and also need something compact that you can stuff in your pack and carry, it's hard to beat the leupold mk4 compact. it's about 2x your price last i saw, but bushnell at one point made a knockoff (i think leupold sued them so prob not making it now) so you might find a cheaper version or a used one.

vortex is making some quality mid-range glass now. good image, but doesn't have the ergos of the leupold. they are also making some awesome little binoculars that might meet your needs, depending on exactly what they are.

Ttwwaack
01-01-13, 16:22
I just upgraded this past fall since I'm getting back into HP/PR. I puchased my first scope is 89. It was a $200 Cabelas branded straight 20-60 x 60 with tripod. It did everything I needed at the time but was lacking in clarity. It was focused out to the edges but foggy/hazey and poor in the shadows and at twilight.

At the time 20 years ago I couldn't see dropping the coin for a 100 - 300 yard spotter until I got schooled. Turned out my cheap East German DDR Ziess 10x50 binos were the second clearest in the class of 24. I got beat by an Urnertl 100 or 120mm team spotter. Damn that was nice glass!

I also use mine for viewing wildlife when I up in AK and occassional pack it along on hikes so size could be a restriction for you. For me, when it comes to optics and big bore hunting rifles (375 H&H plus) I'd rather loose 10-15 pounds of 'Fluff' off my waste than loose gun weight for recoil, and; I don't hunt sheep. Although you are looking for a 80mm don't neglect the 60's. You might find one in you price range that is clearer. I would rather have clearer/brighter or better contrast in a 60 over an 80 pound for pound. I just ended up with an 80 because the deals are what they are where they are at.

My suggestion to you would be to go to an event were there was alot of spotters being used and try all that you can. The reason why is glass performs alittle differently outside of the store in natural light. If you can, line then all up for side by side comparison. A word of caution: good glass will spoil you.

As TALIV pointed out figure out if you want a straight or angled eye piece before you invest. 25 years ago there wasn 't as many options but now it seems that every manufacturer is offerring both

Mine sounds spendy but it is an older model before the HD lenses. I picked itt up off of Craigslist for 950 with 2 cases and a window mount. The guy was done sheep hunting last year and was in a money jam.

You also need to budget for a spotting scope stand/tripod. I predominately use mine standing or sitting while spotting for others. Very rarely do I use it while prone but you need to figure that out for yourself. I looked at a few tripods since my original aluminum didn't have the stability/rigidity that I wanted. Technoligy has advanced with materials such as Ti and CF. I opted for a Vortex CF rig for 200. Price a bunch on Ebay to get an idea and you 'll probably end up buying off the internet. Don't neglect Manfratto or Slick which I was unaware of until refered to by an optics guy. I went with a compact ball head to save on weight and $ and it is strong enough. I really liked the geared heads instead of the old jerk it over and it snaps back alitle and jerk it some more. They are real smooth but heavy and $. If I was moving alot to get targets into view as a team spotter ect I'd go for a geared head.

Vic303
01-02-13, 11:31
I am partial to Celestron products. I snagged a C70 recently off craigslist for $30 with small tripod. It should do what I need it to do.

C90 & C5 are other possibilities to look for.

WWhunter
01-02-13, 12:24
I'm an optics whore. I started out with 'cheap' optics and have graduated up to high end optics. While stationed in Germany I got spoiled on Leica, Zeiss, etc. All my hunting rifles are now topped with Zeiss or other German optics. I do have several Leupold and Burris topped rifles but my primary rifle have the German glass. Binos are Leica LFR's as these give me the utmost clarity. Granted these are WAY over your stipulated price range but you do get what you pay for in optics. Looking through quality glass leads to far less eye strain. Sitting in one spot looking through cheap optics can lead to a headache very quickly.
I almost hate to say this but many years ago Tasco had a Wolrd Class line of scopes that were actually decent for their low price. Sometimes you can find them for sale. Nikon also makes some fairly decent spotters for the mid priced guy.
Have read favorable reviews on Minox also.
For my spotter that I use the most I have a Leupold compact that works great. Check Cabela's bargain cave frequently and you can pick up better quality optics for decent prices.

rudy16
01-10-13, 12:35
Bushnell just put out a new spotter. Check the Hide it looks like it will be a bad mother.

elnino31
01-13-13, 19:15
I'd save a few more bucks it will open up your options.

I have a vortex razor, but would prefer something more compact. I'm not a big leupold fan, but there spotter looks to have a lot to offer.

deadly0311
01-13-13, 20:09
Hensoldt Spotter 60 is hands down the nicest spotting scope I have ever used

RWBlue
01-13-13, 20:31
Spotting scope optics are not like rifle scope optics. There haven't been massive improvements in the last couple years. So this opens up the used market.

I have a Swift Model 839. It is a little heavy. It is a little large. But for those issues it makes up for it with a swivel mechanism that allows me to quickly go from the 20x to the 40x optic and stay on target.

The only issue is I would like it to able to connect up to my Nikon camera and there was a time when I wanted more magnification, but it was not at a range.

Pappabear
01-14-13, 08:34
Just a couple of considerations for a new user , once you get your Kowa. ;). For 200 yards only put it on 20 or 30 power. It's all you need. Less than premium optics stress on higher powers.

I have a 27X on mine for 1,000 yards.

I would like a spotter with a mil dot or HDMR TYPE RETICLE.

mikeith
01-14-13, 10:18
i got my luepold 12-40x60 new for 799 shipped love it!

taliv
01-14-13, 10:22
seriously? the mark IV? that's a heckuva deal. where'd you find it?

mikeith
01-14-13, 10:34
no its the gold ring version (Exact same thing just no reticle)

Ebay - and yes its genuine.

just looked theres not anymore of them but there are mkIv's for 999(i woulda done that had it been available at that price back then)

KAZ22
01-14-13, 11:31
I love my Leupold Kenai 25-60x/30x80mm. It will show my 22 cal holes, even those in the black at 200yds. It comes standard with a 25x60 lens and an excellent 30x wide angle which is the best I've ever seen at scanning hillsides for game. Regards

mcmillanman5
01-17-13, 08:27
I have seen deals on Leupold Mk IV's in the past ~$800. They usually get snatched up pretty quick. I paid more for mine but have been really happy with it and am glad I went with the Leupold and got the reticle.

Here is an add from a local classified (not mine), a little more than what you are wanting to spend but IMO worth it. There are deals out there if you don't mind buying used or waiting for the right one.

https://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=23702917&cat=&lpid=&search=leupold%20spotting

stuonhunt
12-13-13, 07:10
For long range shooting experience i have always preferred Swarovski spotting scope (http://www.eurooptic.com/swarovski-spotting-scopes.aspx). Its true that scopes price are little high but there is no compromise in quality. Modular spotting with 65mm objective lens is popular for its light-weight modular design which easily and affordable accommodates upgrades. Raise your budget little more and try it.