PDA

View Full Version : Input on augmenting/accessorizing my 2 AK's...

Chris17404
12-29-12, 14:03
Hi all,

With the frenzy buying of 2012-2013 underway, I felt my money would be best spent augmenting the rifles I already have to make them more effective. I currently have 2 AK's in 7.62x39mm: A pre-Rifle Dynamics Jim Fuller AKM build using an NDS-1 receiver and Romanian G parts kit from OST, and a Krebs Custom AK103 (converted Saiga). They are both basically in basic/stock form except they both have:

- US Palm AK battle grips
- Blue Force Gear VCAS sling
- Krebs enhanced safety
- Black polymer furniture with heat shields and fixed Warsaw-length stock.

It'd like to outfit both rifles exactly the same so they can be used interchangeably. I'd like your input on my plans and how best to accomplish them:

1. Flashhider - I really prefer flash hiding over muzzle breaks on fighting riflrs. The Jim Fuller AKM current has a Wolverine FH, so that's fine. The Krebs AK103 currently has a factory AK-74-type muzzle break. I was thinking the Manticore Night Shroud FH would be best for this rifle. Any other possibilities?

2. Weapon light - I am a bit of a traditionalist, so I'd like to keep the stock furniture if possible. I really like the concept of the Inforce WML in that it has an angled activation button that can be pressed *down* with the thumb instead of pushing *forward* with the thumb. Any thoughts on how to mount this to the AKs?

I was thinking the RS Products BM-1 may work since it's very low profile and the WML could be mounted directly to it without the need for an additional mount/adapter. Can the BM-1 be installed at a slight angle, say 45 degrees, on the barrel such that the WML can be mounted at an angle too, similar to how Travis Haley has mounted it on the Jack Carbine?

I'd like the light mounted pretty far forward to help mitigate the affect of the shadow from the front sight tower.

Other than the Inforce WML, I'm thinking perhaps a Surefire G2 would work well, but it would require an additional mount. With the G2, I'd almopst see the need to mount a vertical fore grip so my offhand would have something to press against when my thumb is pushing forward to activate the button. Thoughts?

I've also seen the DBMG AK Tri-Rail work on some rifles too.

3. Red dot optic and mount - Since both rifles has a side-mount installed correctly, I'm thinking the best solution here is the RS Products new AK-300 series of side mounts. They are low-profile and versatile. One question, though... is there really any reason to choose the AK-301 base or AK-302 base over the AK-300? It seems the AK-300 is the most versatile with little penalty.

As for optics, I am considering Aimpoint products. I'm currently leaning towards the CompM3, PRO, or CompM4s... or maybe the T-1. I admit I've never used a red dot sight before, so I'm coming into this with no experience, but I think I'd appreciate the bigger field of view and forgiveness the larger sights provide. Input here?

4. Recoil pad - While the AK-100 series fixed stock is great, it does leave a lot to be desired in the comfort department and it's ability to regain stable in the shoulder pocket with firing. For this reason, I'm exploring options for installing a new custom stock with recoil pad. I'm mainly looking for stability in the shoulder, but some cushioning would not hurt either.

Something like the Limbsaver Speed Mount recoil pad could be mounted to a custom wood stock and replace my current polymer stock. I know a wood stock would add more weight, but honestly, it would help balance out the gun nicely. Has anyone does something like this before? I know Ironwood designs offers stocks with custom recoil pads. Any other ideas?

5. Single point sling attachment point - The VCAS slings are currently mounted the front loop with a Vickers universal wire loop and to the rear of the stock using the factory sling loop. It works ok, but not great. I'd like the ability to use a 2-point-to-1-point convertible sling, so I need a place to mount it. I was thinking one of the Echo 93 sling mount plates would work well, either the V3 or V3 QD (but I don't usually like QD stuff). Any other sling attachment points you'd recommend?

6. Vertical fore grip/rails - These are currently not on my list, but I was just curious what operational use they may have on an AK. I'd probably have to install some sort of rail system to properly mount a VFG, which I don't want to do. As for rail systems, what's good-to-go? I've heard good things about the various Ultimak, Midwest Industries, and Damage Industries offerings.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

Chris

96 SS
12-29-12, 18:12
A couple points for thought:
The BM-1 can be positioned at nearly any angle. It weighs significantly less than any other option while providing no loss of accuracy.

The AK-300 and AKM are a great combo- great. But the Aimpoint T-1 weighs significantly less than a Comp 2/3/PRO.
If you use the 301 and AKML and T-1/H-1 you add less than 8 ounces of weight - directly over the balance point of the rifle. This is less than adding approximately 12 rounds of 7.62x39mm

301 was created for those chasing weight and not needing ultimate versatility. It weighs .75 ounces less than the 300. The AKML weighs less than the AKM as well.

I am in the process of re-speccing my own personal rifle and it is getting an AK-301/AKML/T-1 with a BM-1 added for my custom 9P that may get moved for a different host - at this time I'm looking back at Surefire and a new host that will also get a new LED head design like my 9P.

Let me know if you have any other questions - I'd be happy to answer them either publicly (my preference) or privately if you desire.

Chris17404
01-01-13, 14:12
Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. Anyone else have thoughts?