PDA

View Full Version : Strike One by Arsenal

Pages : [1] 2

MadMatt
12-29-12, 17:30
http://www.arsenalfirearms.com/products/strike-pistol-system/

Has anyone gotten their hands on one of these yet? I really hope they end up being good because they look really cool. Wouldn't that be something?

Five_Point_Five_Six
12-29-12, 17:53
Looks like it would give me worse slide bite than a Glock.

Steve S.
12-29-12, 19:13
The name rings a bell as the company who made that double 1911 contraption.

But maybe not, as this seems decently thought out. I like the big ledge at the ejection port, but a few other things seem undesirable.

Bore axis looks great. As mentioned, slide bite could be an issue.

MoCop
12-29-12, 19:25
Good lookin' gun. I wouldn't mind taking one through the paces.

MoCop
12-29-12, 19:27
Not that it matters, but didn't a Russian company design this pistol?

montanadave
12-29-12, 19:32
The name rings a bell as the company who made that double 1911 contraption.

But maybe not, as this seems decently thought out. I like the big ledge at the ejection port, but a few other things seem undesirable.

Bore axis looks great. As mentioned, slide bite could be an issue.

Arsenal is, indeed, the company that brought you the 2011, the double-barrelled .45 ACP semiautomatic: http://www.arsenalfirearms.com/products/af-2011-a1-double-barrel-pistol

I think I'll take a "wait and see" on this one.

Vash1023
12-29-12, 19:33
Looks like it would give me worse slide bite than a Glock.

and how did u come to that conclusion???

the gun has a larger beavertail than any glock does.......

and if the price is fair ill probable get one, im sure it wont suck. might not be amazing but i bet it will do what its supposed to do.

Steve S.
12-29-12, 19:44
Arsenal is, indeed, the company that brought you the 2011, the double-barrelled .45 ACP semiautomatic: http://www.arsenalfirearms.com/products/af-2011-a1-double-barrel-pistol

I think I'll take a "wait and see" on this one.

Count two on waiting...

Five_Point_Five_Six
12-29-12, 19:54

and if the price is fair ill probable get one, im sure it wont suck. might not be amazing but i bet it will do what its supposed to do.

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h420/SBR2340/butthurt_report_form.jpg

DanjojoUSMC
12-29-12, 20:38
The slide is sitting so far back that I also doubt you will get slide bite. It's more of a problem when the slide only goes back to the web of your hand or less.

MadMatt
12-29-12, 20:49
Not that it matters, but didn't a Russian company design this pistol?

It's a Russian company but the designers seem to be Italian. Check the website. I'd really like to get my hands on one.

CCM
12-29-12, 20:57
That bore axis does look low. I thought my P7M8 was low.

theblackknight
12-29-12, 21:13
It looks like a glockified CZ.

I bet it would rule as a production div. gun.

Plus. I dare you to miss that slide release.

bprice01
12-29-12, 21:52
Strong resemblance to the Caracal to me.

BH321
12-29-12, 22:52
I know it doesn't matter as long as it is reliable, but that may be one of the ugliest looking pistols I have ever seen. Also, given that this is made by the same company that thought a double barreled M1911 was a good idea, I think I will pass for the time being. Also, I would have liked to see more serrations on the backstrap in order to provide better grip (personal preference thing).

MadMatt
12-29-12, 22:54
It does seem to follow the same pattern as the Caracal, but according to the specs it has a couple other innovations. I will be very interested to see how it turns out.

MadMatt
12-29-12, 22:57
I know it doesn't matter as long as it is reliable, but that may be one of the ugliest looking pistols I have ever seen. Also, given that this is made by the same company that thought a double barreled M1911 was a good idea, I think I will pass for the time being. Also, I would have liked to see more serrations on the backstrap in order to provide better grip (personal preference thing).

Funny you should say that because I actually think it looks really good, which is why I started this thread by saying that I really hope it ends up being as good as they claim. Wouldn't that be something?

I guess beauty is indeed in the eye of the blah blah blah....

BH321
12-29-12, 23:04
Funny you should say that because I actually think it looks really good, which is why I started this thread by saying that I really hope it ends up being as good as they claim. Wouldn't that be something?

I guess beauty is indeed in the eye of the blah blah blah....

Just like you said, eye of the beholder. Also, given that they also manufacture this monstrosity (http://www.arsenalfirearms.com/products/strike-pistol-system-lrc/), I will certainly not be purchasing this pistol. Just because Sig makes something similar doesn't make it a good idea, in fact I would usually say that is a reason to run the other direction (This coming from someone who loves Sigs).

ETA: Though I reserve the right go back on my previous statement assuming that it actually does turn out to be a good and reliable pistol.

DIRTMAN556
12-29-12, 23:51
At first I thought it was a literal "strike one." Looks like the love child of a Glock and a Walther.

bprice01
12-29-12, 23:55
I wouldn't mind trying one out, that's for sure.

xjustintimex
12-30-12, 00:04
I hope this is affordable, and lives up to their claims. If it is, this will be a winner

Gutshot John
12-30-12, 09:34
Slide bite? Really?

Really?

Dos Cylindros
12-30-12, 09:48
Slide bite? Really?

Really?

I had the EXACT same response when I read that post.

Business_Casual
12-30-12, 09:52
How about asking some relevant questions like, what percentage is the striker cocked, what is the length of the trigger travel, what will parts availability be like, how durable will it be?

bc

Five_Point_Five_Six
12-30-12, 10:02
Slide bite? Really?

Really?

I had the EXACT same response when I read that post.

Yes, really. I said "Looks like". Without firing one I won't know. I prefer not to have to apply bandaids to my hands in order to put several hundred rounds through a handgun in one session.

Gutshot John
12-30-12, 10:07
Yes, really. I said "Looks like". Without firing one I won't know. I prefer not to have to apply bandaids to my hands in order to put several hundred rounds through a handgun in one session.

Non-issue. Slide bite is invariably (99%) a consequence of poor technique/grip.

Shoot the gun you currently shoot, the one that doesn't give you booboos, and carry on smartly.

Five_Point_Five_Six
12-30-12, 10:34

Shoot the gun you currently shoot, the one that doesn't give you booboos, and carry on smartly.

Really? You mean my large hands and the Gaston design are completely irrelevant?

Gutshot John
12-30-12, 10:46
Really? You mean my large hands and the Gaston design are completely irrelevant?

For the most part yes.

tostado22
12-30-12, 10:52
Seeing as this is the same company that is selling the double-1911, I think I will wait and see, but not get my hopes up. I hope it turns out to be a great gun. I really like how low the bore sits

balance
12-30-12, 11:00
This pistol interests me. I'd like to try one.

Other than the double-1911, have they made other pistols?

MadMatt
12-30-12, 11:05
Just like you said, eye of the beholder. Also, given that they also manufacture this monstrosity (http://www.arsenalfirearms.com/products/strike-pistol-system-lrc/), I will certainly not be purchasing this pistol. Just because Sig makes something similar doesn't make it a good idea, in fact I would usually say that is a reason to run the other direction (This coming from someone who loves Sigs).

ETA: Though I reserve the right go back on my previous statement assuming that it actually does turn out to be a good and reliable pistol.

Yes, that does give me pause as well, but the proof is always in the pudding. If it proves under rigorous testing to be accurate and reliable and if the ergonomics are as good as they look, why not?

Five_Point_Five_Six
12-30-12, 11:17
For the most part yes.

Vague responses don't lend credibility to a disagreement. Either something is relevant or it isn't. If hand size and grip design are even a small part of the equation, which you concede is true by the "for the most part" repsonse, then they are a relevant part of the equation none the less.

Gutshot John
12-30-12, 11:19
Vague responses don't lend credibility to a disagreement. Either something is relevant or it isn't. If hand size and grip design are even a small part of the equation, which you concede is true by the "for the most part" repsonse, then they are a relevant part of the equation none the less.

I see, and yet this didn't stop you from making them. Two months into this forum and this is the best you can do? Read more, post less.

There was nothing vague about my statement, you just didn't like it.

Oh well, not my problem.

MadMatt
12-30-12, 11:22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUyOuwNCtNM

This is their demo video. They have a big name European shooter to promote it. Not saying that means anything, but to me that puts it into the "watch with interest" column at least.

They were supposed to start selling it in September, but it has not shown up in the US yet, at least not that I can find. For handguns, the US is the only market that really matters, so if they are experiencing problems with importation or production, this could be a sign.

Steve S.
12-30-12, 12:12

While i agree, that 1% of folks have a real issue with it. I've shot with some serious shooters who get Glock bite. Generally it seems to be from less than ideal shooting positions (from retention, prone, etc) when the wrist is more curled than at full extension. Big meaty hands kind of spill over (for lack of a better term) into the slide's path.

My best guess is undercutting the trigger guard and a grip reduction will help those who get slide bite. But I don't have any evidence of this. I could see a pistol with a bore axis like this combined with a lower trigger guard (or taller trigger guard) creating an issue - even with the beavertail.

For the record, I've never experienced slide bite myself - even with gloves on (that I've noticed).

Gutshot John
12-30-12, 12:28
While i agree, that 1% of folks have a real issue with it. I've shot with some serious shooters who get Glock bite. Generally it seems to be from less than ideal shooting positions (from retention, prone, etc) when the wrist is more curled than at full extension. Big meaty hands kind of spill over (for lack of a better term) into the slide's path.

Likewise I've seen really serious shooters. If 99% of shooters have no issue, is it really the gun that's the problem? Or the shooter?

If the pistol was really the issue, they'd switch pistols. From your post my sense is that you're saying that they alter their grip/technique.

Glock bite, Glock knuckle, all Glocks shoot left...yadda yadda. Invariably these issues are the result of improper grip/technique.

This is why stating a subjective problem as an objective issue is problematic. Especially when the poster in question hasn't even fired the gun.

MadMatt
12-30-12, 12:31
So I guess the answer to my original question in this thread is "NO"? No one either has or has heard of anyone who has tried one of these out?

Five_Point_Five_Six
12-30-12, 13:14
I see, and yet this didn't stop you from making them. Two months into this forum and this is the best you can do? Read more, post less.

There was nothing vague about my statement, you just didn't like it.

Oh well, not my problem.

LOL, says the guy with 3.15 posts per day to the guy with 1.43 posts per day.

Happy New Year.

Steve S.
12-30-12, 14:08
Likewise I've seen really serious shooters. If 99% of shooters have no issue, is it really the gun that's the problem? Or the shooter?

If the pistol was really the issue, they'd switch pistols. From your post my sense is that you're saying that they alter their grip/technique.

Glock bite, Glock knuckle, all Glocks shoot left...yadda yadda. Invariably these issues are the result of improper grip/technique.

This is why stating a subjective problem as an objective issue is problematic. Especially when the poster in question hasn't even fired the gun.

We could be debating semantics, which is pointless but I'll throw my view out on the issue of slide bite. Again, I've never experienced it and I shoot Glock. If I did, I'd probably suck it up or try weapon modification because I love Glock pistols.

But I don't really think its a matter of improper technique or grip for some. It's just a reality of "I have big hands, so shooting from retention with certain pistols will give me slide bite". That person can address it how they wish. It's neither the weapon or the operator's fault, it's just their predicament.

Another example would be those with terrible arthritis who can't rack a slide. Some suck it up and deal with the pain, others look to revolvers or weapons like the Beretta Tomcat. It's not the fault of most magazine fed weapons, or the fault of the person with arthritis, or a technique issue - it's just a unique situation.

I know one friend who just stopped shooting Glock over slide bite. He doesn't hold it against Glock, it's just he was faced with the decision of not being able to practice essential skills like shooting from retention or doing these drills and going to work with cut up hands with bandages.

But again, these situations are outliers and exceptions to the rules. I do think it is a fair concern with this particular pistol though. I'll preface this by saying I love where new pistols are headed. The PPQ, FNS, M&P, etc are doing everything right - including bore axis. The question becomes, when has it gone too far (aka "full retard")? This pistol may not be that point and may be the perfect example of proper bore axis. But it may also be a nightmare for those with big hands.

You're absolutely correct - we will not know until these start getting shot by various builds of people. I do think we can talk about it though.

I can also understand being sick of hearing about slide bite, particularly with Glocks, because its often used as a point "why Glocks suck" by people who don't know what they're talking about and don't understand it affects such a small number of big handed men out there.

Gutshot John
12-30-12, 15:34
But I don't really think its a matter of improper technique or grip for some. It's just a reality of "I have big hands, so shooting from retention with certain pistols will give me slide bite". That person can address it how they wish. It's neither the weapon or the operator's fault, it's just their predicament.

I think you're running under the assumption that I'm assigning fault or blame when it comes to slide bite. We all have personal issues that have to be overcome, but again that's the shooter, not the gun.

misanthropist
12-30-12, 16:40
Really struggling to figure out how a discussion of slide bite on Glocks furthers our understanding of this pistol.

I'm curious about them although I can't quite wrap my head around the idea of yet another entry in to what I believe is a fairly crowded market full of established pistols with huge aftermarket support.

enforcer22
12-31-12, 09:34
It looks pretty cool. I'd like to take it to the range and run this heck out of it.

Urban_Redneck
12-31-12, 14:20
Really struggling to figure out how a discussion of slide bite on Glocks furthers our understanding of this pistol.

I'm curious about them although I can't quite wrap my head around the idea of yet another entry in to what I believe is a fairly crowded market full of established pistols with huge aftermarket support.

More choice is better than less choice.

MoCop
12-31-12, 20:04
It's a Russian company but the designers seem to be Italian. Check the website. I'd really like to get my hands on one.

Interesting. Looks like a nice pistol.

trinydex
12-03-13, 22:01
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOirbcsCQ1o&feature=youtube_gdata_player

why is the cycle speed so emphasized in their marketing?

LibertyNeverDies
12-04-13, 14:30
why is the cycle speed so emphasized in their marketing?[/QUOTE]

I believe they are trying to insinuate faster follow up shots.

LibertyNeverDies
12-04-13, 14:34
Arsenal received conditional import status for the Strike One.http://www.arsenalfirearms.com/news/6 "Conditional importation is also allowed for articles imported for storage in a CBP Bonded Warehouse (CBW) or in a Foreign Trade Zone (FTZ)."

I emailed the importer EAA about the Strike One and they initially replied with information about the AF2011-A1. Once I told them that I was interested in the Strike One they responded: So sorry! We've had alot of interest in the AF2011. You are correct about the Strike One. It still has a way to go before importation. I will keep your information and let you know as we get closer.

Hopefully this means sometime by the end of the first quarter of 2014! But considering they have seemed to received permission for importation of the AF2011-A1 and are not yet shipping to dealers I am not holding my breath.

CodeRed30
12-04-13, 15:10
Just FYI, LAV had nothing but good things to say about this pistol on his FB page.

cwgibson
12-04-13, 17:54
Just FYI, LAV had nothing but good things to say about this pistol on his FB page.

Indeed he did

Can't wait for the Strike One pistol to finally hit US shores - the extremely low line of bore to top of hand measurement in this pistol made it very controllable - it has real potential for suppressing - it is a piece of cake due to the fact the barrel does not tilt !!!

This is definitely a handgun to watch out for !!

theblackknight
12-05-13, 07:51
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOirbcsCQ1o&feature=youtube_gdata_player

why is the cycle speed so emphasized in their marketing?

Having a low bore axis is a good thing, but a fast slide cycle isnt exactly optimal for rapid shooting. If you watch the video on page 2 with their factory IPSC shooter, during his fast strings you see the muzzle end dip when the slide reaches battery. This also means his front sight is dipping as well. They are using a recoil spring thats prob a little on the heavy side. The Tangfolio in that high speed video has a longer but flatter slide cycle and the shooter will be able to pick up the front sight faster.

ericridebike
12-05-13, 08:23
Looks interesting for sure. Have they listed a MSRP for it yet? Keeping an eye on these & hope they live up to the hype and are affordable.

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-05-13, 08:59
As long as it is sanely priced I will pick one up. Looks pretty neat.

FAB45
12-05-13, 09:08

Agreed. I won't be an early adopter but if it performs as well as I hope/think it will and it arrives to market with comparable price to its competitors I'll get one.

LibertyNeverDies
12-05-13, 14:02
An older article I read on the firearms blog said that Arsenal will offer 30round mags. I hope they are imported into the US and are reasonably priced. The fact that Arsenal Firearms has gone on Tac TV and put their company and products out there makes me optimistic.

CFII
12-05-13, 21:50
I want one. It looks fun.

brushy bill
12-06-13, 17:42
I like the idea, but if mags, springs, etc are as hard to get as the PPQ, I'll wait for awhile.

Trajan
12-06-13, 17:59
Cool looking gun for sure. I look forward to trying one out hopefully.

EDIT: Does anyone know the height over bore of the Steyr M9? Interesting that their comparison left out that pistol.

Surf
12-06-13, 20:39
Low bore axis? Larry Vickers says that is a good thing? Hmmm, I thought there was another monster thread here on M4C where so many people said low bore axis being an advantage was pretty much hogwash? Ok, wait sorry, lets not start that crap again.

eternal24k
12-06-13, 22:11

their double barrel 1911 and the price they ask for it worries me.

if they are under $700 I will buy 2

Wolvee
12-07-13, 12:35
I dig the 5" barrel but it sure is ugly, lol. I think I'd rather lower myself (:dance3:) to an M&P9L before I bought one of these. With the 9L or the G34, what does this new brand/model give you that those don't?

Mamiller
12-07-13, 16:50
Looks interesting.

coastwatcher42
12-08-13, 05:29
I'd like the opportunity to inspect and fire one. Wonder what the price will be?

LibertyNeverDies
01-22-14, 08:21
I just read over on The Firearms Blog that the Strike One will be 4k for the metal frame and should be $800 for the polymer. It sounds like best case scenario it will be the end of 2014 or the beginning of 2015.
I will probably pick one up at that price but I don't see competing with Glock/SW/Walther as much as Sig/HK. I won't be rushing to get it as soon as they come out.

Sam
01-22-14, 08:58
How interesting that everytime a new gun comes along someone would say that it's ugly. I wonder if those people carry a glock.

As far as the Strike One, the sales rep at the SHOT show told me that they are trying the get the final approval from the ATF, hopefully that will come in the next couple of months.

The price for the aluminum framed guns will start at $3K and the polymer framed guns will be around $800.

The aluminum guns slide movement on the rail was really smooth, the polymer frame was very good as well. Smoother than the "perfection" guns from Austria. The trigger felt like a short reset double action, personally I like it. As someone already mentioned, the bore axis is very low. I sure would like to try one to see what the recoil would be like, the weight will surely keep the muzzle flip to a minimum. I bet the gun would make a good USPSA production or even limited platform gun.

LibertyNeverDies
01-22-14, 09:02
Do you happen to know the weight of the trigger?

eternal24k
01-22-14, 09:10
2-3k premium for an aluminum frame? Wow, I really do not know what to think of that. Glad to hear they are in fact offering a polymer lower

Sam
01-22-14, 09:24
2-3k premium for an aluminum frame? Wow, I really do not know what to think of that.

Thus my comment about the gun's potential use in USPSA. Are you aware of the cost of the limited class pistols used in USPSA? The open class guns are even higher. This Strike One, in my opinion, will have a potential in that arena.

tonyxcom
01-22-14, 12:00
LAV featured that pistol on at least 2 complete episodes of his TacTV show. My impression is that it was designed by the Russians at Arsenal and being built by the Tangfolio factory in Italy.

exkc135driver
01-22-14, 13:22
"completely new and revolutionary" ... "the fastest, most controllable, most accurate and hard hitting" ... "flawless" ... "engineered with exacting and unprecedented standards" ... "total axial and torque control of all the moving parts, pins and springs" (huh?) ... "unique" ... "like no other before" ... "this is the secret" ... "unbelievable semiautomatic firing speed" ... "extremely innovative accessories" ...

Too much puffery. I'll pass.

eternal24k
01-22-14, 13:39
Thus my comment about the gun's potential use in USPSA. Are you aware of the cost of the limited class pistols used in USPSA? The open class guns are even higher. This Strike One, in my opinion, will have a potential in that arena.

Yes, with tough competition.

People will pay 3-4k for an open class CZ, but not for a standard SP-01 Shadow. Match barrels, crisp single stage triggers, larger controls, longer, ported barrels, etc all add to the price tag. I highly doubt people will pay the extra 2-3k for just the receiver, maybe i am wrong, but i hope they pair the receiver with other higher end components.

That being said, i was disappointed when my friend came back from Shot and reported these had aluminum receivers, I am glad that they are making polymer AND keeping it within the appropriate price range. I like my CZs and Sigs, but i was more interested in this as a Glock/Walther/HK poly gun competitor

yellow50
01-22-14, 14:08
I had heard that they mags may possibly be made my Mec Gar, but I couldn't find anything to substantiate that. Anyone know for sure? If the mags turn out to reasonably priced and reliable I think I would definitely consider a polymer version.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-23-14, 07:58
1. Is there anything more about the trigger? In the video of the company guy he says something about it being 'flat' or 'straight-back', which sounds like a 1911 type instead the Rube Goldberg machinations that go on in most stiker fired pistols.

2. When is the 45ACP coming out?

3. I thought we had decided in the bore-axis thread here that bore axis really didn't matter.

4. Isn't muzzle flip more about the shooter than the gun? Handheld Pitching Angle I don't think is a very scientific measurement. Wouldn't some kind of torque measurement be the quantifiable difference that matters. I'm not saying there is a qualitative difference, just I don't like their test method.

5. However cool this action is, it still isn't as cool or innovative as the HK P7 mechanism.

Looks really interesting. The low jump for the rounds to the chamber I'd like to see more of. I like low-bore axis guns if for no other reason that they are smaller (shorter) for a given magazine size. The shooter in one of the videos has such a high grip it seems he can almost occlude the rear sight with his left thumb.

WillBrink
01-23-14, 08:12
Not to be a downer, but my impression of this company was they made gimmick guns vs. SD/CCW/Duty worthy guns. Exhibit A:

The Strike One looks very interesting to be sure, but I wouldn't be an early adopter personally. I'll wait to hear feedback from those more knowledgeable on the topic, those who have run enough rounds through them to see what breaks, and see what shakes out, before I'd have any interest in this gun.

Your mileage may vary. I'm looking forward to hearing the range feedback from someone who has put rnds through one.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-23-14, 08:34
Not to be a downer, but my impression of this company was they made gimmick guns vs. SD/CCW/Duty worthy guns. Exhibit A:

The Strike One looks very interesting to be sure, but I wouldn't be an early adopter personally. I'll wait to hear feedback from those more knowledgeable on the topic, those who have run enough rounds through them to see what breaks, and see what shakes out, before I'd have any interest in this gun.

Your mileage may vary. I'm looking forward to hearing the range feedback from someone who has put rnds through one.

What is the legallity of a gun that shoots two rounds with one pull of the trigger? Any NFA issues? Someone is going to get a left and right ejecting AR upper operating systems..... Is there something about having two chambers?

I think they said the barrels were counter rotating. I don't know if he meant LH and RH rifling, that might be kind of interesting to feel; a zero torque gun.

Redbeardsong
01-23-14, 08:46
What is the legallity of a gun that shoots two rounds with one pull of the trigger? Any NFA issues? Someone is going to get a left and right ejecting AR upper operating systems..... Is there something about having two chambers?

I think they said the barrels were counter rotating. I don't know if he meant LH and RH rifling, that might be kind of interesting to feel; a zero torque gun.

There are two triggers, so it's still one shot per trigger pull. We just got two of these in at Clyde Armory. One went right out the door to a customer who had been waiting for it. It's a collectible/ novelty like the engraved guns Colt, Smith, etc. put out.

WillBrink
01-23-14, 08:47

I believe it's still one trigger per side. I thought this gun was a joke, but as you can see, it's not. So, a company that starts with something as goofy as that, then goes 180 to make something that appears on paper to be a potential game changer, sets my meters off. I'll wait until the BTDT types give it a sake down personally.

Straight Shooter
01-23-14, 08:58
I wont degrade the company for the dual 1911. It is an example of what CAN be done with modern machining, and I myself haven't seen it marketed as anything but a novelty. Never as a real, viable self defense weapon. If it has been, Ive missed it, and that WOULD be a load of shit. Personally, Id like to have one just to mess around with and play with. As for the Strike One pistol...yes, a lot of "puffery" indeed, but they are understandably proud of the gun, and it does have some nice, unique features. And, I DISTINCTLY remember A LOT of the same things being said about a certain polymer pistol that came out in the early eighties...and we all know how THAT worked out.

WillBrink
01-23-14, 09:01
I wont degrade the company for the dual 1911. It is an example of what CAN be done with modern machining, and I myself haven't seen it marketed as anything but a novelty. Never as a real, viable self defense weapon. If it has been, Ive missed it, and that WOULD be a load of shit. Personally, Id like to have one just to mess around with and play with. As for the Strike One pistol...yes, a lot of "puffery" indeed, but they are understandably proud of the gun, and it does have some nice, unique features. And, I DISTINCTLY remember A LOT of the same things being said about a certain polymer pistol that came out in the early eighties...and we all know how THAT worked out.

Agreed and I'm not bashing the company for it. However, where a company focuses its efforts, R&D, time, $$$, etc, says a lot about the company, and producing gimmick guns does not give me the warm and fuzzy when they decide to make a "real" gun for SD/CCW/Duty. I'm optimistic for sure, but no plans to be an early adopter. As a rule, I don't buy the first gen of anything if I can help it, especially guns.

Straight Shooter
01-23-14, 09:15
I agree 100% on not being a guinea pig! But, in this case..Id take an educated risk, Id like to really shake one out.
I figure after about 1500-2000 rounds Id have a clue as whether it was the cats ass, or not.

yellow50
01-23-14, 09:17
Not to be a downer, but my impression of this company was they made gimmick guns vs. SD/CCW/Duty worthy guns.

While I agree that the double .45 is not a viable duty, or self defense weapon, I see no need to automatically rule out a company because they made something that is a novelty or will net them a profit. By that logic Eotech, Leupold and every other manuf. that started slapping zombie crap on their products would be a no go for hard use.

WillBrink
01-23-14, 09:22
While I agree that the double .45 is not a viable duty, or self defense weapon, I see no need to automatically rule out a company because they made something that is a novelty or will net them a profit. By that logic Eotech, Leupold and every other manuf. that started slapping zombie crap on their products would be a no go for hard use.

I didn't, and my comments above made that very clear I thought.

WillBrink
01-23-14, 09:25
I agree 100% on not being a guinea pig! But, in this case..Id take an educated risk, Id like to really shake one out.
I figure after about 1500-2000 rounds Id have a clue as whether it was the cats as, or not.

Cool. I hope you do and I look forward to your report!

R0CKETMAN
01-23-14, 10:56
They're manufactured by Arsenal in Italy

sua175
01-23-14, 11:16
You guys are making fun of Arsenal for there toy gun, what about KAC and their "chainsaw" Stoner LMG they had at shot a few years ago, that is equally absurd. Guys, they are just toys to be showed, can't judge a entire company Becuase of one fanciful toy.

WillBrink
01-23-14, 11:27
You guys are making fun of Arsenal for there toy gun, what about KAC and their "chainsaw" Stoner LMG they had at shot a few years ago, that is equally absurd. Guys, they are just toys to be showed, can't judge a entire company Becuase of one fanciful toy.

(1) was it the first major gun KAC offered?

(2) was it a "one of" fun gun or did they offer it as a product?

(3) no one is "making fun" of them for that gun, but I did question their creds based on that product which made me question their focus and intent, etc.

brickboy240
01-23-14, 13:43
Yeah, after the Caracal...aren't we all a bit nervous to race out and get the next Glock challenger?

Still...somebody....SOME DAY....will bring forth the Glock killer. It WILL happen.

Will this finally be it? Well...who knows?

-brickboy240

tonyxcom
01-23-14, 14:07
(1) was it the first major gun KAC offered?

The double barreled 1911 wasn't the first gun Arsenal made either. They have been making 1/2 and 1/4 scale working replicas of the worlds greatest firearms (prices averaged around $20k!) :) Granted this is only what I know from TacTV. Interestingly enough, This whole season of the show had spent at least 4-5 episodes on Arsenal and the Strike One pistol and that gave a pretty good sense of their engineering prowess.

You were the one that opened this door (passing judgment on a company based on your limited knowledge of their body of work).

Now, if we take it way back, I could only imagine how many people like you might have scoffed at a guy that made curtain rods introducing a plastic semi auto gun. :)

Larry Vickers
01-23-14, 14:14
Royer rule violations duly noted !!!!

WillBrink
01-23-14, 14:58
The double barreled 1911 wasn't the first gun Arsenal made either. They have been making 1/2 and 1/4 scale working replicas of the worlds greatest firearms (prices averaged around $20k!) :) Granted this is only what I know from TacTV. Interestingly enough, This whole season of the show had spent at least 4-5 episodes on Arsenal and the Strike One pistol and that gave a pretty good sense of their engineering prowess.

You were the one that opened this door (passing judgment on a company based on your limited knowledge of their body of work).

Now, if we take it way back, I could only imagine how many people like you might have scoffed at a guy that made curtain rods introducing a plastic semi auto gun. :)

Thanx for the info. Yes, I guess I'm guilty of passing judgement, but note clearly no bashing took place. My comment was strictly the fact that their background/history/focus was not building fighting guns, but collector guns (ruining two perfectly good 1911s in the process!), and and other gimmicks (1/4 replica, etc) and due to that fact, I would not be an early adopter, and would wait 'till the BTDT types lent their opinions/findings. Personally, guns that come from companies making generations of quality fighting guns will be of more interest to me, especially as a Gen 1 product/design. Would you be more likely to be interested in a new design from Colt, DD, or HK or from a company who historically produced say working 1/4 replicas of ARs?

That LAV looks on this new pistol favorably, is very encouraging, and I'll try and track down the Tac TV episodes looking at the Strike One. Again, I'm not in any way saying I wouldn't give this gun a hard look and serious consideration, but yes, I'll wait 'till it's a few gens in and there's adequate feedback before I'd jump, and that threshold might be lesser for companies with longer history.

I hope I have clarified myself sufficiently :cool:

sua175
01-23-14, 17:42
I agree, I never buy a brand new product before it has been veted by others so I at least have some idea of what I'm getting

R0CKETMAN
01-23-14, 18:34
Royer rule violations duly noted !!!!

I know right

30 cal slut
01-25-14, 11:27
Stopped by the Arsenal Firearms booth at SHOT Show 2014 to take a peek at the Strike One model. (Not to be confused with Arsenal Inc. USA ... which of course I did lol).

All silver be pimpin'!

http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t409/training_ne/SHOT%20Show%202014/2D1D6C9A-86B3-48F7-B791-07839FEA0E52.jpg

No barrel tilt!

http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t409/training_ne/SHOT%20Show%202014/48e400f2-5cd3-4dc9-a912-8d7ea3496665.jpg

What keeps the barrel straight when it fires? This barrel bushing.

http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t409/training_ne/SHOT%20Show%202014/0235f70a-c28a-446b-8cc8-ffe36d2b5936.jpg

Sorry for the crap photos. Phone camera was best I could do in a non-camera-permissive environment. :stop:

http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t409/training_ne/SHOT%20Show%202014/E8E1486D-4920-428E-BABC-2C2C4B4F9B4F.jpg

Minimized muzzle rise is good. Also, as LAV astutely pointed out, this should be good for folks who want to rock suppressors.

Trigger wasn't bad. The reset on the OD frame I tried was a little mushy, hopefully they'll fix that before release.

Guys, this is not a toy, it certainly doesn't feel like one. If it proves to be durable and reliable and easy to service - and have reduced muzzle flip - I'm in for one when it comes out. $700-$800 I think.

30 cal slut
01-25-14, 11:52
I don't want to derail this thread, but at the Arsenal Firearms booth, I was surprised and delighted to meet Erik Prince.

Erik is a SEAL, entrepreneur, problem solver, patriot, and a scapegoat.

Erik was autographing copies of his book "Civilian Warriors" and donating proceeds from book sales to a worthy charitable cause. Helluva nice guy.

http://www.amazon.com/Civilian-Warriors-Inside-Blackwater-Unsung/dp/1591847214/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1390672224&sr=1-1&keywords=erik+prince+civilian+warriors

It's a pretty darn good read, gawrunteed to get your blood pressure up.

Back cover:

"I'm done keeping quiet.

What's been said before is only half the story - and I won't sit idly by while the bureaucrats go after me so that everyone else can just go back to business as usual. The true history of Blackwater is exhilarating, rewarding, exasperating, and tragic. It's the story of men taking bullets to protect the men who take all the credit - a tale of patriots whose names only became known when lawyers and politicians needed to blame somebody for something.

Our critics have spoken.

Now it's my turn."

http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t409/training_ne/SHOT%20Show%202014/030FCFFA-6ABC-4435-83AD-7A186097FE3A.jpg

crazymoose
01-25-14, 12:43
With the non-tilting barrel, I would be interested to see how high the rounds sit in an inserted mag, relative to the bore centerline. Looks like it could be pretty a straight-feed system, like a Beretta 92.

Elkhound
01-25-14, 13:05
Odds on which one hits the market first, the Arsenal Strike One or the RRA Poly 1911? I know it takes time to get a new firearm to the consumer, but both have been on the horizon for a very long time.

I would hope RRA can beat the 4Q estimate for the Strike One, but only time will tell.

(I want both, so the anticipation is getting old.)

c3006
01-25-14, 15:32
I'm gonna step out there and say nobody's gonna build a better pistol than GLOCK till GLOCK does !

LightningFast
01-25-14, 15:37
I'm gonna step out there and say nobody's gonna build a better pistol than GLOCK till GLOCK does !

That seems to be a very objective, well-reasoned argument.

WillBrink
01-25-14, 16:09

Meh. Someone did. M&P....back on topic. :dirol:

c3006
01-25-14, 17:12
K whatever

WillBrink
01-25-14, 17:36
Trigger wasn't bad. The reset on the OD frame I tried was a little mushy, hopefully they'll fix that before release.

Guys, this is not a toy, it certainly doesn't feel like one. If it proves to be durable and reliable and easy to service - and have reduced muzzle flip - I'm in for one when it comes out. $700-$800 I think.

Great info and write up, thanx. My interest is peaked.

Coal Dragger
01-27-14, 17:48
I am really interested in this pistol, mostly to see how well the locking/unlocking block will work. Interesting that it appears to me an MIM part. If the price is right I can see buying a full size and a smaller one if offered. For those that don't like the looks of this pistol, or that are so beholden to Glock that you are compelled to bad mouth every other firearm on the market I suggest not buying one.

LibertyNeverDies
01-27-14, 18:36
On Tac TV I think LAV said it looked like it was EDM'ed. I think that was his opinion not a sure statement he had talked with Arsenal about, but I couldn't say for sure.

Coal Dragger
01-27-14, 23:42
Going by the photo it appears there are telltale injection molding marks on that part.

Not a big deal really, if the part was designed with MIM in mind it should be just fine.

MadMatt
01-28-14, 14:54
One good indicator of how seriously this gun is being taken might be to what extent the aftermarket is gearing up for it. Does anyone know/work for any holster makers that are gearing up for it? Blue gun makers?

As soon as it comes on the market people will be wanting accessories for it. I bet someone is thinking of this now, especially since LAV has spoken favorably of it.

Heavy Metal
01-28-14, 19:43
Larry,

Will you have a demonstrator at your classes this year?

If Arsenal was smart, they would ship one of these to each Alias Instructor to use as a demo gun.

LibertyNeverDies
01-28-14, 20:23
I emailed Arsenal this past summer asking some of those question. They said they had blue guns and a holster line(tactical and leather was the way they described them) that would be released if they got import approval. I hope they work with G code like Lionheart and Sphinx have done.

Dragun
06-07-14, 20:06
Any updates on the availability of this pistol?

Preach
06-29-14, 18:16
Thought with the recent Ukraine situation these would be a no go for us in the States, but just found this on Gunbroker.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=425487710

Maybe there's hope yet.

MadMatt
07-01-14, 21:46
And now we have this http://www.all4shooters.com/en/news/pistols/2014/Arsenal-firearms-af-1-strike-one-pistol-imported-in-the-united-states-america/

And apparently Blade-Tech is trolling for Data on whether it's worthwhile to tool up for holsters for it. See the bottom of their home page http://shop.blade-tech.com/index.php or their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/BladeTechInd

positive signs. Someone is taking it seriously. Oh, and Preach, I believe that all their US Import Guns will be made in Italy, so the Ukraine Situation should not affect.

Arctic1
07-02-14, 02:10
The guns are manufactured in Italy at the Tanfoglio factory.

MSparks909
07-02-14, 11:48
Interested to see how this compares to HK's VP9.

C4IGrant
07-02-14, 12:00
I have heard some comments that these guns are dead in the water (lost funding or something). Not sure if it is 100% true or not, but the source was credible.

C4

Grand58742
07-02-14, 12:23
I have heard some comments that these guns are dead in the water (lost funding or something). Not sure if it is 100% true or not, but the source was credible.

C4

It's certainly been a huge piece of vaporware for the most part.

TomMcC
07-02-14, 13:01

Why is this a monstrosity? It just looks like a small game hunting version of the pistol. There's probably some pistol hunters out there that would appreciate it. Anyway, I hope it makes it to the U.S. I like new stuff, and this looks like something I would be interested in (the standard version, not the hunting version).

Arctic1
07-04-14, 01:56
These guns are definitely not dead in the water.

Guns are trickling out to distributors, but they are a bit behind on their production and delivery schedule and are hard at work trying to catch up. They estimate that they should be caught up by September.

doodi1
07-04-14, 06:34
Well that's great news. I hope that extra mags for the Strike One pistols are priced closer to the Glock end of the spectrum than the H&K!

weggy
07-04-14, 07:42

I felt the same way when I bought my R51. I think I'll wait awhile on this one!:confused:

C4IGrant
07-04-14, 08:01
These guns are definitely not dead in the water.

Guns are trickling out to distributors, but they are a bit behind on their production and delivery schedule and are hard at work trying to catch up. They estimate that they should be caught up by September.

In what country?? I was referring to the US.

C4

Arctic1
07-04-14, 09:44
In what country?? I was referring to the US.

C4

Roger that.

As far as I know the guns were only recently approved for import in the US. So they have not been available yet.
All guns are manufactured in Italy at the Tanfoglio factory.

Dealers in Europe are receiving guns now, and US orders will probably be produced as they are received.

Shiz
07-04-14, 10:42
If they are reliable and are easily accessorized (Tritium sights, holsters etc.) Why not? Only time will tell. Horrible name though. If this handgun bombs, we can await two more strikes, and they are out!!

Arctic1
07-04-14, 11:27
The Strike One comes in two different configurations:

-Fixed sights
-Adjustable sights

Here is a pic of the adjustable sights version:

http://imageshack.com/a/img834/8738/a9xj.png

The two rear sight models are not interchangeable. We are in talks with a sight manufacturer about having aftermarket sights made for it.
They also have a fiber optic front sight in the works.

A .40 version will be available by the end of the year.
The Combat/Compact version will be available by the end of the year, and will be called the Strike Two
A threaded barrel is currently available, and a ported barrel will be available next year

Arsenal has a suite of holsters available for the pistol. The catalog can be downloaded here:

https://www.facebook.com/download/774156099285441/CATALOGO%20accessori%20PUBBLICO%20STRIKE%20ONE2.pdf

The user manual can be found here:

https://www.facebook.com/download/759822220737221/Libretto_STRIKE%20ONE_giugno%202013_02.pdf

What do Glock mags go for in the US?

wildcard600
07-04-14, 16:58
What do Glock mags go for in the US?

~$20-25 USD. HK go for about ~$30-35 USD

Both seem a bit high IMO when a AR PMAG is $10 and a alum NHMTG is $11.

doodi1
07-04-14, 17:32
Actually with their new prices, HK mags are going for $40-$60 each depending on the models. The P30 mags are in the low $40's. I hope that the Strike pistols have mags that do not exceed the $30.00 range.
Arctic, any chance of a version of this pistol with provisions of a low slide mounted red dot sight? Like the FNX 45 Tactical?

Arctic1
07-05-14, 02:47
Regarding the slide mounted red dot, I do not know at this time.
The dove tail on the adjustable sight version accepts a sight base made to fit, but as far as milling goes I do not know.
I am not a pistolsmith, but unless the material amount used for the slide is drastically less than comparable pistols, it should be doable. Factory ready? Again, unknown at this time.

Arctic1
07-05-14, 07:49
~$20-25 USD. HK go for about ~$30-35 USD

Both seem a bit high IMO when a AR PMAG is $10 and a alum NHMTG is $11.

Do you have any sales tax/VAT that you have to pay when you import stuff from abroad?

I would imagine, based on the dealer price in Euro, that the mags will cost somewhere around $30.00 (when shipping and profit margins have been calculated and barring huge customs/VAT fees).

Trajan
07-05-14, 08:03
Do you have any sales tax/VAT that you have to pay when you import stuff from abroad?

I would imagine, based on the dealer price in Euro, that the mags will cost somewhere around $30.00 (when shipping and profit margins have been calculated and barring huge customs/VAT fees).

Those are retail prices.

Assuming you can mill this for an MRDS, this should be the hot new pistola.

They need to make a compact version with a height of 5" or less with a capacity of 15 rounds or more. Then combined with the low bore axis and assuming it's reliable and can take an MRDS, they might steal the market from Glock and S&W.

Arctic1
07-05-14, 09:29
Those are retail prices.

Assuming you can mill this for an MRDS, this should be the hot new pistola.

They need to make a compact version with a height of 5" or less with a capacity of 15 rounds or more. Then combined with the low bore axis and assuming it's reliable and can take an MRDS, they might steal the market from Glock and S&W.

Yeah, I know that the prices given are retail.

I was just wondering which fees are added to the dealer price in addition to profit margins in order to get the retail price, in the US. Here we need to add 25% sales tax to the dealer price, before we can start calculating the retail price.

The Strike Two, or Combat version, is 4.7" tall, 7.5" overall length with a 4.3" barrel. Mag capacity is unknown. So it is comparable to the Glock 19.

ralph
07-05-14, 10:09
In the pic above.. Is that some sort of reinforcement under the beavertail? or just the way the pic came out?

doodi1
07-05-14, 10:18
I am sure that over the next few years we will have a whole slew of pistols coming out ready for MRDS from the factory. I am hoping that for a brand new design from a new company, Arsenal leap frogs the competition and comes out with the red dot ready version from the get go. Also, add the suppressor sights and threaded barrel and, BAM.....!

bowietx
07-05-14, 10:28
An Italian/Russian effort should work out nicely (what could go wrong). Has anyone except for TAC TV been able to shoot one of these? It appears that it was not adopted by the Russian Federation. Any sightings in the Ukraine?

Magsz
07-05-14, 12:15
In the pic above.. Is that some sort of reinforcement under the beavertail? or just the way the pic came out?

This bears repeating.

What is going on there? IF that is a plastic, reinforcement rib in the GRIP TANG the pistol is worthless....

Arctic1
07-05-14, 12:19
I don't know what it is, but I do not recall anything in that area causing issues with getting a proper grip.

Here is a better pic:

http://imageshack.com/a/img822/250/tn2lv.jpg

t1tan
07-05-14, 12:58
Actually with their new prices, HK mags are going for $40-$60 each depending on the models. The P30 mags are in the low $40's.

If anybody is paying in the $40s for P30 magazines, they're not looking hard enough.

Surf
07-05-14, 19:54
I am still extremely interested in this pistol and hope that it makes it here.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-31-14, 05:21
How Russian is this gun? Any issues with the sanctions, or is it an Italian gun for import purposes?

Are there any in the US for sale yet?

Arctic1
07-31-14, 05:52
All Strike One handguns are manufactured in Italy, at the Tanfoglio factory.

One of the founders of Arsenal Firearms is a Russian gun collector, Dimitry Streshinskiy.

I doubt there are any in the US yet, as they were just approved by the BATFE, and they are running behind on their production.
We have been waiting for our first order for 3 months, and I just got confirmation that our first 8 guns will ship next week.

edi213009
08-06-14, 11:53
http://www.all4shooters.com/en/news/pistols/2014/Arsenal-Firearms-pistols-set-sails-to-America/

Here is the final proof including initial quantities.I guess LaV will be among the first and lets see his pov

Surf
08-06-14, 12:45
I look forward to getting my hands on one and the feedback as they hit the market here.

MadMatt
08-06-14, 15:01
I should get a free pistol for being the one who started this thread 2 years ago. I mean, how many people here would even know about this gun otherwise? That's fair, right?

WillBrink
08-07-14, 08:51
I look forward to getting my hands on one and the feedback as they hit the market here.

Please do! I personally don't buy the first gen of anything, but I am looking forward to reviews and experience from the BTDT crew.

MSparks909
08-07-14, 23:57
Read this initial review over on TTAG. Reposting here.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/08/daniel-zimmerman/gun-review-arsenal-af-1/

Beat Trash
08-08-14, 09:18
The low bore axis among other things have my attention. I really don't like the rear sight being a part of the end plate of the gun though.

I'm looking forward to shooting one. Compare it to a Glock 17.

Arctic1
08-08-14, 09:49
The adjustable sights version has a dove tail on the slide, and a normal end plate.

The idea behind the sight being on the end plate is to increase the sight radius.

08-08-14, 13:23
How would that increase sight radius? Just about every pistol I have seen, the rear of the sight extends to end plate.

RCO'B
08-08-14, 13:42
http://youtu.be/FE0yY5hfsps

Looks to be official marketing from Arsenal. I love at 1:20 where the shooter blocks the slide from cycling as to not eject the spent casing, wearing latex gloves no less. WTF. Confidence drill at the end at the end as well. Wonder if these are the same guys LAV met up with when he was in Russia?

08-08-14, 16:37
I think that is a good video showcasing all of the considerations and input that went into the design. But comparing the features of that pistol to the pictures elsewhere, you can see some differences. Such as the serrations on top rear of the slide. Maybe a mil/leo only model? I wonder if we'll get that model here in the states? I almost lost interest in the pistol due to the price, but if that version is available I may rethink it.

I watched the video without sound. I suspect they are demonstrating that it is safe to shoot the pistol while blocking the slide to stop it from making any additional noise when shooting suppressed. Maybe it is a tactic used for sentry removal, etc. From what I have read the gun is in use with russian military forces and it looks like that is why it's designed like it is.

Arctic1
08-08-14, 16:57
How would that increase sight radius? Just about every pistol I have seen, the rear of the sight extends to end plate.

On some guns the sights extend, on others you need to add afternarket sights.

This is just Arsenal's take on it.

They might make changes down the line, and as said previously they have an adjustable sights version with a normal dove tail slot in the slide. I posted a pic previously in the thread.

08-08-14, 17:04
Gotcha. In general, how much does adding 1.5mm - 3mm in sight radius really help out?

Arctic1
08-08-14, 17:27
Gotcha. In general, how much does adding 1.5mm - 3mm in sight radius really help out?

Not sure. I cannot quantify what, if any, effect it has.

I just know that this is the reason for the design.
My Battlehook sights on my Glock 17 extend beyond the rear of the slide, and I was given the same reason, to extend the sight radius.

I shoot better with these than with original Glock sights and a pair of Heinie sights I had previously. Still, that is totally anecdotal and my subjective opinion. (Improved shooting that is).

RCO'B
08-08-14, 17:52
I watched the video without sound. I suspect they are demonstrating that it is safe to shoot the pistol while blocking the slide to stop it from making any additional noise when shooting suppressed. Maybe it is a tactic used for sentry removal, etc. From what I have read the gun is in use with russian military forces and it looks like that is why it's designed like it is.

I took it as, "Look, no fingerprints!" and not leaving a traceable shell casing behind. You could basically do the same with any semi auto pistol, effectively rendering it into a single shot weapon. This would be relevant in a self defense scenario where you and an assailant would be struggling over a semi auto pistol which could work for or against you. As far as this being a demonstrable feature of the Strike One, nothing special here.

Norinco
08-08-14, 20:07

I love at 1:20 where the shooter blocks the slide from cycling as to not eject the spent casing, wearing latex gloves no less. WTF.

Blocking the slide from cycling when suppressed cuts out a little more noise. I haven't personally tried this with a centerfire pistol. It's pretty effective with a 22lr.

Magsz
08-09-14, 12:59
That TTAG review shows a support ridge under the beavertail...

SO...what's going on here guys? The review also showed a stock picture without that brace....

IF the pistol has that ridge there i am going to say this is a no go as that ridge is going to hammer the shooters hand...

Coal Dragger
08-09-14, 16:35

Looks to be official marketing from Arsenal. I love at 1:20 where the shooter blocks the slide from cycling as to not eject the spent casing, wearing latex gloves no less. WTF. Confidence drill at the end at the end as well. Wonder if these are the same guys LAV met up with when he was in Russia?

So this pistol is evidently being marketed to mall ninjas, and gunshop commandos? At least if this video is to be taken seriously.

Also noticed the shooter needing to rip magazines out of the bottom of the pistol, do they not drop free?

Surf
08-09-14, 16:54
So this pistol is evidently being marketed to mall ninjas, and gunshop commandos? At least if this video is to be taken seriously.

Also noticed the shooter needing to rip magazines out of the bottom of the pistol, do they not drop free?The only quirky thing in the video was the rubber glove deal. There are certain close combat techniques that utilize forcefully keeping the weapon in battery, but what is depicted in the video, does keep the sound level a bit softer when shooting suppressed by keeping the chamber closed. Outside of the rubber glove thing, everything else is pretty correct.

The mags clearly drop free in the slide lock or emergency reload and he is stripping the mags as a result of a malfunction clearance process. What they are depicting is the cutout at the front strap near the magwell along with the extended base plate of the magazine. This is a similar cutout that I have been using on Glock frame modifications for several years now. Very practical especially in the event of a one handed or incapacitation type of situation. You can also see a glass breaker on the bottom of the mag and make out of that what you choose.

I know the Russians are a bit quirky and like to shoot bullets past one another or in close proximity of live individuals, so that is definitely not something commonly seen and readily accepted here as a payoff is worth the risk kind of thing. Understanding what is being seen in the video is key.

As can be seen in this picture, I like the cutout on the bottom of the front strap. Some put cutouts on the sides, which is good if you have two hands. The frontstrap cutout works good with one or two hands.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/1545200_1449177011963500_328659447_n.jpg

edi213009
08-09-14, 17:20
So guys on their FB page you have sort of complete disassembly done by a recent customer.he also put some drills on the tube.

Arsenal Firearms Strike One field strip and parti…: http://youtu.be/CctIT-4pVLo

Larry Vickers
08-12-14, 18:27

Yes the guy doing the shooting is one of the Alpha guys we met during our visit to Russia

This filming was done at the Objekt shooting range near Moscow

Larry Vickers
08-12-14, 18:31

Also noticed the shooter needing to rip magazines out of the bottom of the pistol, do they not drop free?

I can promise you the guy doing the shooting is a pipe hitter and has seen plenty of combat - the Alpha guys are the real deal and are very serious dudes

Coal Dragger
08-12-14, 19:05
I can promise you the guy doing the shooting is a pipe hitter and has seen plenty of combat - the Alpha guys are the real deal and are very serious dudes

OK, I'll take your word for it. It just seemed a bit over the top given the balaclava and rubber gloves, but I understand the need for this man's anonymity given his line of work and the very nasty people he likely deals with for a living.

I think even you will have to admit that to someone seeing that video with no context on who is doing the shooting, or what the background on the pistol is that it kind of seems like something that you would see being marketed by a company that is trying way too hard to be tacti-cool. Let's face it that way too many companies offering products in the firearms industry have gone overboard with advertising featuring dudes in full battle rattle in black jumpsuits with a balaclava on, while making outrageous claims about extreme performance and tactical super ninja status that will be bequeathed by purchasing their product. If you've picked up a gun rag recently I'm sure you've rolled your eyes at more than a few ads you see.

Coal Dragger
08-12-14, 19:13
The only quirky thing in the video was the rubber glove deal. There are certain close combat techniques that utilize forcefully keeping the weapon in battery, but what is depicted in the video, does keep the sound level a bit softer when shooting suppressed by keeping the chamber closed. Outside of the rubber glove thing, everything else is pretty correct.

The mags clearly drop free in the slide lock or emergency reload and he is stripping the mags as a result of a malfunction clearance process. What they are depicting is the cutout at the front strap near the magwell along with the extended base plate of the magazine. This is a similar cutout that I have been using on Glock frame modifications for several years now. Very practical especially in the event of a one handed or incapacitation type of situation. You can also see a glass breaker on the bottom of the mag and make out of that what you choose.

I know the Russians are a bit quirky and like to shoot bullets past one another or in close proximity of live individuals, so that is definitely not something commonly seen and readily accepted here as a payoff is worth the risk kind of thing. Understanding what is being seen in the video is key.

As can be seen in this picture, I like the cutout on the bottom of the front strap. Some put cutouts on the sides, which is good if you have two hands. The frontstrap cutout works good with one or two hands.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/1545200_1449177011963500_328659447_n.jpg

OK those are good explanations. I was under the mistaken impression that the magazines were not designed to drop free. I agree that the ability to rip a recalcitrant magazine out of the mag well is a good feature. I've never had to do it with a pistol, but I have had to do it with a mag on an M16 that was evidently out of dimensions after my dumb ass managed to fall on it when it was mounted on my body armor. Long story short it ended up getting crammed in the rifle and even though it somehow made it through all the rounds, when I went to change it it didn't want to come out much less drop free. Being able to get a good grasp on it was pretty damn important to me at that moment.

WillBrink
08-12-14, 19:20
Yes the guy doing the shooting is one of the Alpha guys we met during our visit to Russia

This filming was done at the Objekt shooting range near Moscow

I may have missed your discussion, but have had the opportunity to review this gun? I'd be interested to read your impressions.

eternal24k
08-17-14, 14:55
I may have missed your discussion, but have had the opportunity to review this gun? I'd be interested to read your impressions.

+1, there are very few people I trust for reviews on new products rather than the regular fluff pieces

Arctic1
08-17-14, 17:17
He has a very good vid on Tac-Tv:

http://tac-tv.com/videos/af-strike-one

This is a link to the trailer, you have to pay to watch the full episode.

ETA:

Link to second video, from Italy:

http://tac-tv.com/videos/strike-one-italy

Arctic1
08-27-14, 13:54
http://imageshack.com/a/img673/3659/ehizIB.jpg

Just received two demo guns from Arsenal, while awaiting the arrival of our first order.

I have not fired it yet, just handled and disassembled/assembled it. It looks and feels very promising.

Will be shooting the Norwegian National Steel Challenge on Saturday with the gun in the picture. Will try to get some photos and video.

I will also do a thorough review of the gun when I get my brand new one, in the not so distant future.
This gun is an early production gun, the serial number is 000015.

Magsz
08-27-14, 14:51
So the production guns DO have the ridge in the beavertail area...

WHY? (Besides the obvious fact that the plastic needed to be reinforced there).

Arctic1
08-27-14, 15:08
From just handling it and dry firing, it is not noticeable.

I have not done a complete disassembly of the frame, but the rear of the metal frame insert seems to ride inside that ridge.

08-27-14, 17:43
What is the black tube in the case?

Arctic1
08-27-14, 18:12
It contains a sectioned cleaning rod, with the following accessories:

-swab
-nylon brush
-copper/bronze brush
-eyelet

Surf
08-27-14, 22:55
Just received two demo guns from Arsenal...Nice. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts after running the pistol.

Arctic1
08-31-14, 17:30
Ok guys, I ran the Strike One in IPSC Standard Division for the National Steel Challenge on Saturday. I have also dry fired it quite a bit through the weekend.

I could have done better, but it went as expected as I had only shot 5 rounds through it before the competition started, and I received a holster on Friday afternoon. This was my first ever Steel Challenge.

As far as my shooting background goes, I was issued a Glock 17 for most of my 11 year military career, but just recently started focusing seriously on pistol shooting - since November 2013.
I have owned a CZ75 SP01, S&W M&P9 and a Glock 17, with most rounds fired through Glocks. I have also fam fired a variety of different pistols.

A few observations on the pistol:

-Grip: the design of the pistol really let's you get high on the gun. The effects of this is evident when shooting it.
-Grip angle: for me, the grip angle is preferable to that on a Glock. The grip angle on the Strike One allows me to point or index more naturally on target
-Grip texturing: the texturing is quite good, but grip tape in certain areas would help, particularly the backstrap
-Mag release: the mag release is easy to reach, and depresses easily. Mags drop free easily. It is simple to change mag release orientation from right hand to left hand release - takes less than 30 seconds
-Mag well: the mag well is nicely beveled, which really helps reloads
-Bore height: it is very low, and I do believe that it positively affects the shooter's ability to control recoil. Combined with the straight to the rear movement of the barrel, it makes for a very soft shooting gun.
-Recoil: it shoots really flat, recoil is very smooth (I think Glock's are snappy) and follow up shots can be shot quickly
-Trigger pull: the trigger pull is nice and smooth, but perhaps not as crisp as some people prefer. The reset on the guns I have is quite long, to the point where the trigger has to come nearly all the way out before resetting. Based on shooter preference, it could be an issue, or not. The reset can be changed manually, and I will travel to the factory this fall for armorer's training where how to do this will be taught.
-Sights: The gun comes with a 3-dot (white) sight system. They work okay, but I would prefer a wider rear notch. With the rear sights integrated with the back plate, any adjustments would have to be done with the front sight
-Accuracy: Difficult to test properly, as I have no idea of the round count on the guns. The ones we had shot consistent 2" groups at 25.

Overall I like the gun, but will need more rounds through it, as well as more handling/manipulation training.

Here is a comparison video between the Strike One shot on Saturday, and the Glock 17 which I shot today (IPSC Production Division):

Strike One (first time shooting this stage, so went past the bonus plate a few times):
http://youtu.be/TGpvyv3v7O8

Glock 17:
http://youtu.be/3aFbX7eVgxQ

The stage is called Down Time, and I averaged about 2 tenths better with the Strike One.

If there are any questions, or if you want pictures of certain things, let me know.

Coal Dragger
09-01-14, 02:40
Thanks for the write up. Glad to hear the hump in the web of the grip is not noticeable in actual use.

This might be a pistol I would like, but I'll wait for the beta testers to have their say. Wish the pistol used dove tailed sights both front and rear.

apexer
09-01-14, 06:25
Strike One (first time shooting this stage, so went past the bonus plate a few times):
http://youtu.be/TGpvyv3v7O8

Holy flat shooting batman!

Trajan
09-01-14, 11:35
Arctic1: Did you mean the Glock is snappy in comparison, or in general? 9mm Glocks are the flattest shooting gun I have used.
Is the grip angle more vertical, or horizontal from a Glock?

From the video that thing does look really flat. You can see how much lower it sits too.

Looking forward to trying it out.

Arctic1
09-01-14, 12:57
@Trajan:

I think Glocks are snappy in general. Not necessarily with regards to amount of muzzle rize, but how I perceive the recoil when compared to other pistols.

As far as the grip angle, it is less vertical towards the beaver tail, and more vertical towards the magazine well:

http://imageshack.com/a/img673/1550/vUVOBC.jpg

Pic is taken with rear and top of slide aligned.

methical20
09-01-14, 12:57
Arctic1, thanks for the review. I am really looking forward to getting my hands on one of these.

If any of you understand Russian, this video is worth checking out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4reHTOgtz24

Trajan
09-01-14, 13:37
@Trajan:

I think Glocks are snappy in general. Not necessarily with regards to amount of muzzle rize, but how I perceive the recoil when compared to other pistols.

As far as the grip angle, it is less vertical towards the beaver tail, and more vertical towards the magazine well:

http://imageshack.com/a/img673/1550/vUVOBC.jpg

Pic is taken with rear and top of slide aligned.

Interesting. For reference, what guns would you consider smooth?

I appreciate the pics. Looks like you could get your hand at an even more horizontal angle like the Steyrs (which is actually better for control). Americans will end up complaining about it though.

Surf
09-02-14, 23:45
Arctic1, Thanks for the post and interesting observations. Very much looking forward to getting my hands on one someday. Would look forward to more observations if you get more time behind the pistol.

RUSKI
09-03-14, 01:22
Arctic1, thanks for the review. I am really looking forward to getting my hands on one of these.

If any of you understand Russian, this video is worth checking out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4reHTOgtz24

I love my Gen4 Glock 21, it's one of my favorites to shoot. This unholy Russian/Italian monstrosity has been on my list since I first read about on TFB a while back.

The video describes how the reps from Arsenal came to the Russian operators and asked them specifically what they needed. The reply was "a pistol" because they did not have enough Glocks. When asked what kind of pistol they simply said "like a Glock, but ours" (that tickled me a bit, vary Russian thing to say). So the Arsenal crew asked the operators to draw up their ideas and a "wish list" for this pistol. Since the company is privately owned and no votes were needed they went right to work. The first prototype was out in 3 months and the 4th and current gen is what they are putting on the market. The rest of the video describes the reasons for the design and its functionality. It is compared to the Glock at several points in the video. Quick follow up shots was a huge talking point, the mag capacity and the switch to 9x19 para vs the old standard of 9x18.

I hope that helped those that watched the video.

Plumber576
09-03-14, 05:35
Thanks for the videos, arctic1.

Arctic1
09-03-14, 06:35
No problem guys.

I am going to the range on monday, and will shoot some more vids.

ericridebike
09-04-14, 01:28
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the gun. I got to handle one earlier this year at the NRA Show in Indianapolis and was very impressed with it. Cant wait for the opportunity to shoot one.

scootle
10-28-14, 22:20
Sorry about semi-necro on this thread, but has anyone found out any info on availability in the US of this pistol for the general public? Seems like demo units have gone out for T&E, but no word on actual retail sales.

Coal Dragger
10-28-14, 22:45
Still vaporware at this point.

nhskull21
10-30-14, 04:20
Theres posts and videos of people using them in comps outside the us

montrala
10-30-14, 05:09
They are available in Poland. Shot it (polymer version), but I was not impressed.

Beat Trash
10-30-14, 08:51
Montraia, Can you compare shooting it to a Glock 17? What about the Strike One left you not so impressed?

Arctic1
10-30-14, 09:06
I got mine today, and I plan on doing a comprehensive review.

I posted my thoughts on it on page 9, after shooting a couple of demo guns we got. I posted a couple of videos as well.

This will become my new Production Division gun for next season. I have shot a Glock 17 this season.

To compare between the two, the Strike One:

-Shoots flatter - ie less muzzle climb
-Better grip angle
-Better trigger overall out of the box
-Better magwell - slightly flared to assist with reloads

Coal Dragger
10-30-14, 12:17
I think this pistol is going to have a tough time in the US market, mostly due to bungled marketing by Arsenal and their decision to not start importing the pistols sooner after BATF approval. I've looked at their distributor website, and am not impressed at all.

This could be a very well designed pistol made to very high standards but it seems the manufacturer can't figure out how to get them into shooter's hands in the largest market on the globe. I also suspect that the pistol will end up being priced too high for most average shooters to consider buying over a Glock or M&P. Which will limit aftermarket support a great deal.

For the record I hope I'm wrong about everything I just wrote.

splittime
10-30-14, 15:42
I kinda don't get idea of having rear sight integrated into the end plate. They claim it to be excellent pistol for completion. While in IPSC you kinda stuck with factory trigger in USPSA internals of the gun can be upgraded.
IMO price point and availability of parts and sights, mags, holsters will be a big factor on US market.

montrala
10-30-14, 17:04
Montraia, Can you compare shooting it to a Glock 17? What about the Strike One left you not so impressed?

First of all, I do not buy into bore-line height mantra. People usually measure it to top of palm, while it should be measured to line of center of forearm, that goes trough wrist, parallel to the bore (if you shoot on straight hands, as most people shot when use uncompensated pistols for fast shooting). When you measure it that way, differences measured in single millimeters (1mm=1/25.4") are not important. What Steyr did with grip angle in their pistol did more to reduce real bore height - but most people do not care for this grip angle. Front sight tracking is important and it is influenced by many other factors. So this "low bore line" marketing mantra on Striż (Strike One) do not speaks to me. It is just marketing keyword.

I shot is side by side with my Glock 17 Gen4 and HK P30. Some friends who shoot Glocks and XDm were also not impressed. Maybe it shoots flat, but if your grip is good, so does Glock, HK (yes!) or XDm or say STI 2011 in .40SW. I did not care much for trigger. Generally I had feeling of deja vu from shooting Caracal F. I had also serious problems with activating mag release with both my thumb and middle finger (it supposedly is ambi, I'm lefty), but some of my right handed friends had problems of dropping mags during shooting. It was same pistol that I shoot (we tested it on IDPA match, thanks to Polish distributor). Those who had this problem were guys who really drive their pistols hard and have solid grip. Anyway, none of us felt or seen (on targets and timer) any revolutionary results.

It is not bad pistol, but for "revolution" and best thing until Plasma pistol it is little disappointing. Yes, it has fancy barrel locking system, like Grand Power K100 (STI GP5/6) has. So what?

On the other hand, for Russian LE and mil this pistol is a revolution, when compared to usual designs from their factories. Both in shootability and ergonomy. Do not know how about reliability and durability.

ETA: I was told that "Caracal-like" idea with integrated rear sight is supposed to give way to traditional setup. Original idea was to achieve longest sights radius possible.

scootle
10-30-14, 17:51
The bore-line-height is almost secondary since so many excellent modern firearms have this under control these days (Glock, M&P, etc.).

What is more interesting, imho, is the fixed-barrel design, which hasn't been done in a duty pistol format since what... the H&K P7/PSP series? Whether or not that matters, however, is probably the subject of lots of discussion... if these pistols ever see the light of day in the US market. :)

The first exposure I saw to the existence of this pistol was that one video of Russian Special forces doing live-fire demo drills with Larry Vickers a little while back... definitely interesting to watch. I'm sure it's buried in the discussion in this thread somewhere.

TiroFijo
10-31-14, 06:23
Call me a skeptic, but for me, having shot all kinds of handguns a good deal, it is difficult to believe that any new pistol will afford a marked improvement over existing designs. It is the shooter that makes the difference, not the equipment, and all designs have a learning curve. I think that shaving a few tenths of a second in a range, or a fraction of an inch on group size, does not automatically translate into a better combat pistol.

There are many shooter styles and tastes, and not one design is eminentely "better" for all. Any new design has its uncertainties regarding long term reliability and durability, and I tend to be conservative, not jumping on the latest and greatest.

Stuttgart
11-03-14, 00:53
thanks Montrala for your opinion on the Strike One Arsenal .... these pistols are quite restrictive to obtain in California (so much for the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution). I will try to be happy with my current line-up of pistols I already have. And see ya on hkpro.com !

mysak
11-29-14, 12:01
thanks Montrala for your opinion on the Strike One Arsenal .... these pistols are quite restrictive to obtain in California (so much for the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution). I will try to be happy with my current line-up of pistols I already have. And see ya on hkpro.com !

I just ordered a Strike One I am in California you have until the end of December to get one in CA under the single shot exemption. I figured since I probably will not have the chance to get one next year or until I leave the state or the laws change I might as well pick one up. It should be here next week so I will get to see first hand how it works out!

scootle
11-29-14, 15:17
I just ordered a Strike One I am in California you have until the end of December to get one in CA under the single shot exemption. I figured since I probably will not have the chance to get one next year or until I leave the state or the laws change I might as well pick one up. It should be here next week so I will get to see first hand how it works out!
Where did you order from? You might very well be the only one in the state who will get one (non-exempt)! Good luck!

Tuukka
12-01-14, 04:50
I have one on order ( the Speed model ) and it should be arriving during this month.

My background pistol wise is 15+ years of Practical ( Standard, Production class ) and reserve 3-gun shooting

I have usually shot multiple national level matches every season, placing routinely in top 10 and was on the Finnish national team in Production class for one season ( Local team mate beat me to the spot ;) )

My Production pistol so far has been the G17.

Looking forwarding to receiving Arsenal pistol and getting to know it.

TiroFijo
12-02-14, 09:15
Interesting review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDlgYpuFxX8

Arctic1
12-02-14, 12:04
He does do a good job of demonstrating the pistol and features, but he also gives off some inaccurate info:

-Arsenal Firearms is not based solely in Russia, it is based in Italy also.
-All the guns are manufactured in Italy, nowhere else - and NOT because of import restrictions to the US on Russian products
-The Speed version looks like this:

http://imageshack.com/a/img901/6407/phqFIb.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img540/2817/XZvatc.jpg

Here is the All Weather Pistol:
http://imageshack.com/a/img540/4925/PUjNKv.jpg

Here is the Ergal Frame pistol:
http://imageshack.com/a/img909/6332/CuN4WZ.jpg

-The mag release he holds up is the ambi release. You can switch the one already in the gun for left handed only operation.
-The fact that the technical information is off on their site is NOT a bold faced lie. The information is outdated, as it was put up in the start up phase. The gun has gone through several revisions along the, as evidence by pictures of guns with different features.

Arctic1
12-02-14, 12:46
Update.

I have as of this moment shot 999 rounds through the gun.

My opinion is that it is a very soft shooting gun, which I attribute to both the design and the weight. It points more naturally towards the target, than say the Glock, which in turn I find that helps my presentation.
I feel I can go faster when transitioning from target to target, again a result of the balance of the gun and ease of tracking the sights (due to less muzzle flip).

I am liking the trigger more and more, and I have no issues with trigger freeze, in spite of the reset being longer than what I am used to with the Glocks.

A few issues:

-Recoil spring - the recoil spring is quite stiff, and intended for service/duty loads. This can cause issues with softer loads until the gun is properly broken in.
I had some failures to eject with some factory competition loads (2 rounds out of 150).

TiroFijo
12-02-14, 12:58
Artic, your competition loads were loaded to a PF of about 130 or???

Magsz
12-02-14, 15:28
That speed model is smexy...

Here's to hoping those will be imported.

Surf
01-23-15, 13:06
Just got to play with one at SHOT. This the one item that got me very excited. You absolutely do not feel the rib on the tang area. Physical trigger is nice, good break and reset just a little longer travel than I might prefer. I will own a speed model without a doubt. Just gotta wait a bit.

Coal Dragger
01-23-15, 16:01
Is the speed model supposed to have any trigger improvements?

If I buy one it will be a speed regardless because the idiotic rear sight on the slide back plate is a total deal breaker.

Apexer1
01-24-15, 04:08
Just got to play with one at SHOT. This the one item that got me very excited. You absolutely do not feel the rib on the tang area. Physical trigger is nice, good break and reset just a little longer travel than I might prefer. I will own a speed model without a doubt. Just gotta wait a bit.

Surf, how is the trigger reach? I know you are a glock fan, as am I, I'm curious if it feels similar to a glock in reach. I've been debating buying one off gunbroker, but have seen someone say that the trigger reach is short.

Surf
01-24-15, 11:11
Is the speed model supposed to have any trigger improvements?

If I buy one it will be a speed regardless because the idiotic rear sight on the slide back plate is a total deal breaker.I was told that they have the same trigger as they did not have the speed available to handle. Supposed to be coming out in the US around later spring, early summer. I didn't gut the pistol but I am pretty sure trigger modifications will follow at least in the aftermarket. Don't get me wrong as the trigger is darn good as it is. I just wish the overall travel was reduced and a bit shorter to reset, but I am very picky about that. Others may not notice or care.

Surf, how is the trigger reach? I know you are a glock fan, as am I, I'm curious if it feels similar to a glock in reach. I've been debating buying one off gunbroker, but have seen someone say that the trigger reach is short.Trigger reach is good and I have a shorter reach also. Hand sits pretty high on the bore. Pistol feels excellent in the hand and I hope it performs well as a shooter. Yes I am a Glock fan but since I am always looking for better and not attached to any brand, I really am looking for a new full time shooter. Just like with the VP9 or other pistols that have come along, I need to see a very good performance increase to fit the price point. I can get into a Glock pretty cheap and the mods don't cost me anything, so the Strike pistols performance needs to be there since they are a bit more up there in price.

cpd2110
01-25-15, 11:33
I played with one at Shot as well. I really liked the way it felt in the hand. I would echo Surf's thoughts on the reset of the trigger, waaaay to long for my liking. They had a trigger on one model that had been worked over, still a long reset but much smoother take up. The one thing I noticed was how large the gun was. I would opt for a smaller version if/when they make it to the US. Overall though I liked the gun and would love to shoot it to see the true handling capabilities.

methical20
03-07-15, 08:51
Has anyone else had a chance to get one of these and run a couple thousand rounds through it? I'm really considering just getting one, as this is the first pistol that has really intrigued me in a long time, but I just don't want to take the plunge only to find out that the first batch or two were rife with issues.

teutonicpolymer
03-07-15, 10:47
Has anyone else had a chance to get one of these and run a couple thousand rounds through it? I'm really considering just getting one, as this is the first pistol that has really intrigued me in a long time, but I just don't want to take the plunge only to find out that the first batch or two were rife with issues.

Check Brian Enos' forum, some people seem to have had issues

SpecWired
04-14-15, 22:20
Has anyone else picked one up and run it hard enough to have a sound opinion? It's interesting.

eternal24k
07-16-15, 13:40
So what's the verdict? I haven't heard a thing on these

methical20
07-16-15, 13:48
The Russian military SOF decided not to adopt it because it just wasn't as reliable as the Glocks that they had been using. From everything that the early adopters have said, it just didn't pan out the way that everyone wanted it to. I really, really wanted to like this pistol, but, "just because it's novel" isn't s good enough reason to pick one up.

Edit:

I'm looking for the article that I read about the military tests. It's in Russian, but I can paraphrase the important parts if I can find it. It was a lot more quantitative and had some actual data, so I hope that I can find it.

Doc. Holiday
07-16-15, 14:23
I would be interested to hear why what tests it failed.

mysak
07-16-15, 15:28
It's a good full size gun, I really like mine and it's fun to shoot. If it were strike1 vs glock 17, I would probably take the strike1. My only complaint is lack of after market support for sights and I am not a fan of grip texture.

WillBrink
07-16-15, 15:59
It's a good full size gun, I really like mine and it's fun to shoot. If it were strike1 vs glock 17, I would probably take the strike1. My only complaint is lack of after market support for sights and I am not a fan of grip texture.

How many rnds do you have downrange with it?

mysak
07-16-15, 16:53
Roughly 1500-2000 the only issue I had was the in the first hundred and could have been attributed to ammo not sure. This is just my personal experience ymmv

methical20
07-16-15, 18:45
This is one article, but I thought there was another article with more details about the trials. http://m.lenta.ru/news/2014/11/28/strizh/

Here is my very quick, unpolished translation.

"The Strike One failed to work, literally during the beginning stage of the trials".

"The trials for the Strike One pistol began, and are already finished. The pistol showed its inability to be issued to our military end users said Semizorov. The director of (some factory?) didn't highlight other details of the trail".

Big A
07-16-15, 21:14
This is one article, but I thought there was another article with more details about the trials. http://m.lenta.ru/news/2014/11/28/strizh/

Here is my very quick, unpolished translation.

"The Strike One failed to work, literally during the beginning stage of the trials".

"The trials for the Strike One pistol began, and are already finished. The pistol showed its inability to be issued to our military end users said Semizorov. The director of (some factory?) didn't highlight other details of the trail".

Pistol "Swift" failed the test

"Swift"

"Swift"

Photo: Arsenal Firearms

Pistol "Swift", proposed by developers as the primary handgun for the Russian Armed Forces, failed the test at the Central Research Institute of Precision Engineering (TSNIITOCHMASH). On this, as reports "Interfax", said General Director Dmitry TSNIITOCHMASH Semizorov. According to him, "Swift" just refused to work on the first phase of testing.

"Testing the gun" Swift "began and ended. The gun shown to be ineffective in terms to be offered to our military customers, "- said Semizorov. Other details of the tests carried out TSNIITOCHMASH CEO did not elaborate.

Pistol "Swift" (export name Strike One) developed by Arsenal Firearms. In 2012, Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said that the weapon outperform the Austrian Glock in the coming months will be taken into service Russian Ministry of Defense to replace the Makarov pistol. With this guide Arsenal Firearms argued that "Swift" was developed in record time - in just three months.

The advantages of the gun were specified patented locking system of the barrel, the absence of the classic safety lever, trunk stability when shooting and the ability to retrieve store both the left and right hand. In addition, the company announced a high rate of gun and its adaptability to install under-barrel flashlight or laser pointer.

Strike One is already on sale in Canada. In October 2014 the Internet channel Life Line published a video review Strike One, which gave the gun a generally positive assessment. Experts noted the ease of channel weapons in circulation, reduced line of sight and presence of tritium sighting fly, facilitating aiming at dusk. In his story Life Line also said that Strike One has a better than Glock, precision and smoothness of firing.

That's what Google translate gives you.

Doc. Holiday
07-17-15, 09:09
Thanks for the articles and translation.

SpecWired
07-21-15, 00:59
Yikes, sounds like it damn near choked out the box.

Odd considering they were all over the Larry Vickers video when he was in Russia.

Maybe that explains the rise of the Lebedev PL14.

TiroFijo
07-21-15, 07:04
Is there something wrong with existing designs, or do you really think there is some worthwhile improvement in a new pistol design that is essential to you?

For me, the answers are NO and NO, and while there is always room for improvemente I don't want to be a beta tester, so I tend to skip the glowing reports on new guns and wait for more data from a lot of experienced users, with guns bought commercially.

Perhaps with a bit more time and a few tweaks this pistol will overcome these growing pains and glow, who knows. It has happened before to many mechanical designs.

Arctic1
07-21-15, 07:50
There have been some growing pains, but they have been worked out with the Speed version. All changes will be implemented in the regular Strike One as well.

I have had some extraction issues with my gun, but the issue was some tolerance stacking due to the finish. A few file strokes in the extractor cut, and it now runs flawlessly.
There were some issues with primer strikes, mostly on ammunition using hard primers (such as Magtech). This has been fixed with a stronger firing pin spring.
Some people have also had issue with the magazine retention tabs on the mag catch spring being out of spec, causing the mag to drop free during shooting. This has also been adressed.

One thing I can say is that Arsenal has been very helpful and forthcoming with regards to fixing these issues, offering free repairs (extraction issues) or free spare parts.

Some pics of the Speed:
http://imageshack.com/a/img540/1686/MyCgvd.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img661/9194/a03PyY.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img538/6296/rSPqP4.jpg

TacMedic556
09-11-15, 13:34
The gun shot well, was accurate and fast. Three of us shot it over three days. For the price I will be keeping my proven Glocks with easily available parts. I welcome the gun as a challenge to the other striker fired pistols on the market as well as its innovative design, however it was not a large enough leap for me to transition over.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rqJyseV15Oc

Larry Vickers
09-11-15, 14:44
The couple Strike One pistols we shot in Russia a couple years back were hand built pre production prototypes - they ran fine but many companies face issues transitioning to serial production; definitely sounds like that's what occurred here

In addition to the politics of the whole 'not invented here' syndrome ( meaning normal channels) in Russia AND the fact that Russia is NOT a handgun culture at all means this pistol was a long shot from the start.

I got mine ( an all black Speed model) a short while ago and have shot it a bit. It was very snug right out of the box so I used JB Bore cleaner and oil in a 50/50 mix thru out the gun to 'break it in'

No issues so far - runs just fine. That being said I'll take an HK VP9 over it any day of the week and twice on Sunday

MadMatt
09-11-15, 15:20
The couple Strike One pistols we shot in Russia a couple years back were hand built pre production prototypes - they ran fine but many companies face issues transitioning to serial production; definitely sounds like that's what occurred here

In addition to the politics of the whole 'not invented here' syndrome ( meaning normal channels) in Russia AND the fact that Russia is NOT a handgun culture at all means this pistol was a long shot from the start.

I got mine ( an all black Speed model) a short while ago and have shot it a bit. It was very snug right out of the box so I used JB Bore cleaner and oil in a 50/50 mix thru out the gun to 'break it in'

No issues so far - runs just fine. That being said I'll take an HK VP9 over it any day of the week and twice on Sunday

I cannot tell you how anti-climatic it is to hear that. When I started this thread almost 3 years ago, I had just seen a picture of this gun and thought it was the coolest thing I had seen in years. I had such high hopes.

Larry, If I may ask, why do you prefer the VP9?

Coal Dragger
09-11-15, 17:16
While I can in no way speak for LAV, I can think of some virtues of the VP9 over the Strike One:

1.) Proven reliability.

2.) Proven HK quality control.

3.) Proven high quality materials selection by HK.

4.) Probably easier to get support for the VP9 if something does go wrong.

5.) Aftermarket support is starting to come online.

6.) VP9 is physically smaller and easier to conceal.

7.) VP9 has highly adjustable ergonomics.

8.) VP9 has a very good trigger, that GGI can evidently make even better.

9.) VP9 is gaining a reputation for displaying a high level of mechanical accuracy.

10.) VP9 costs less to buy, and now that holsters and other gear are available it will cost that much less to get the whole rig set up.

carolvs
09-12-15, 15:05
I wish they'd kept the Strizh branding.

Coal Dragger
09-12-15, 18:33
Well that and offered a 4" bbl version that works out of the box without teething issues.

Tanfoglio is not known for making combat ready firearms though. Mostly competition stuff. Not a dig at them, just an observation on why the pistols are a bit tight.

montrala
09-14-15, 02:54
Supposedly "killer app" of S1 was ultra low bore access that allows to shoot it faster than any other pistol. An if one knows how to shoot fast, it will. But if you know how to shoot fast, you will do it as welll with Glock, S&W, Walther, XDm, HK, etc. My firiend, who id factory shooter for Arsenal Firearms shoots it ridiculously fast... but he also shots .45ACP revolver ridiculously fast as well (at human level, not Jerry Miculek level, but when he grips, nothing moves in his hand). But if do not know how to shoot fast, S1 will not help.

Of course it is way easier to shoot S1 fast than this:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/51/9mm_Yarygin_pistol_PYa.jpg/1280px-9mm_Yarygin_pistol_PYa.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP-443_Grach

So for Russian armed forces this would be actually an upgrade.

PGT
09-14-15, 09:42
I handled a Speed at my LGS. Not my thing, but, thought I'd share a couple pics

http://i.imgur.com/Q3JQjKk.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/kOpv80N.jpg

methical20
01-24-16, 17:22
Did anyone see the Stryka from PMG USA at SHOT? Looks just like the Strike One but had stippling on the grip frame. If anyone had more info, that would be great.

LibertyNeverDies
01-24-16, 17:36
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/01/jeremy-s/new-from-prime-manufacturing-group-stryk-pistol/

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/01/20/shot-show-2016-prime-manufacturing-groups-strika/

Lots of good info in the comments of the latter article.

From the different sources I've gathered that Salient arms suggested some mods that all look great to me. The MSRP is supposed to be around $770. I also heard they had a compact 15rd gun at SHOT. Everything thing else seems to be hearsay. I'd love to hear if anyone got to handle the guns first hand.

Magsz
01-24-16, 19:49
Liberty,

Thank you for those links. Both of them are VERY interesting and i cant wait to see how that shakes out.

Does anyone have any clue when these new Stryk pistols should hit the market?

LibertyNeverDies
01-25-16, 22:30
Most Reliable Info Yet:

https://www.full30.com/video/6244a72206f6e0d21b8d2f45c7eba240

The video say 3rd quarter 2016. It'll be interesting to see this progress considering salient's backlog. Maybe the new facility will fix that or maybe they'll sub contract the gun out. I just hope we see it.

The B version could replace my glock. I wouldn't have to do anything to it. I come close to MSRP with simple upgrade I've added to my glock and wouldn't have the hassle.

t1tan
01-25-16, 23:21
That B model definitely has my attention. I'm curious about Salients production quality given their previous work has shown to be hack jobs in many ways. I'll be watching closely once they start shipping.

Coal Dragger
01-26-16, 03:44
So Arsenal is going from one questionable manufacturer (Tanfoglio) to an even more questionable manufacturer. Great.

Salient tarted it up with a bunch of superfluous tacti-fag stuff, made some extra unnecessary slide serations and slapped a flat faced trigger shoe on it.

No one has yet proven that this pistol can be mass produced with a high level of quality control to ensure a high probability of a functional handgun. Yet here they are worrying about cosmetics.

MadMatt
01-26-16, 18:21
No one has yet proven that this pistol can be mass produced with a high level of quality control to ensure a high probability of a functional handgun.

This is the key. Right now, I'm in wait and see mode until they prove it.

Coal Dragger
01-27-16, 04:49
I wouldn't hold my breath.

They have made multiple mistakes in marketing this pistol in the US (in my admittedly worthless opinion).

1.) The decision to initially offer a gigantic 5" barreled full size (and then some) service auto wasn't too bright. A big brick of a handgun that can't reasonably be concealed won't get very far with US civilian buyers, or law enforcement agencies.

2.) From what has been relayed by reports in the field there have been some teething issues with the production guns. LAV reports that hand built versions ran great, so we can take that as the truth. Unfortunately Arsenal partnered with the wrong company to produce a reliable service pistol. Tanfoglio doesn't have that capability, sorry but there it is. Ideally an ISO 9001 manufacturer should have been partnered with. I realize this is much easier said than done, I have very little confidence that their new partners are up to the task either.

3.) The decision to utilize a sighting arrangement with the rear sight being a fixed part of the rear plate on the slide was and remains pants on head retarded. Arsenal should have utilized a dovetail rear sight, and would have been smart to select a dovetail cut that is shared with some other popular service autos already on the market.

What I think (again not worth much) needs to happen:

1.) Get serious about finding a manufacturing partner with a reputation for quality, that has a dealer network and an established presence in the handgun marketplace. The best bet would be to find one that is in need of a competitive entry into the high capacity personal defense, and LEO duty market. Even better if that manufacturer has experience in submitting weapons for and fulfilling government contracts with Federal and state/local agencies. If such a company could be convinced to partner with Arsenal or manufacture the pistol under license, maybe we'd see some no shit functional handguns with real no shit factory support. Personally I can think of one firearms manufacturer that desperately needs a product like this to gain some market share, that could probably pull off the manufacturing, marketing, and support side if they'd agree to do it (and if they could come up with the money). If you're thinking the answer to that might be Colt, that is where I'm going with this. I realize it's a pipe dream, but when was the last time Colt made money selling something that Colt actually designed? They didn't design the AR15 but they did manage to improve it to what it is today, they didn't design the 1911 pistol either. So their last commercial successes that were designed in house were the 1873 SAA and some of their double action revolvers. Colt is really good at making quality firearms that other people design, so why not this one?

2.) They need to scale this beast down and offer a model of similar dimensions to a Glock 19. That size of pistol is basically the gold standard now for many agencies, and civilians. If they can make the gun roughly the same size as a Glock 19, with that super low bore axis, good accuracy, and high shootability of the full-size model I think they'd have a winner as long as it runs right. Plus of course make sure the sights are easily changed, and the trigger doesn't suck balls. I realize this is stating the obvious, but I said it anyway.

TiroFijo
01-27-16, 04:55
Now that it is Salient manufatured it has gone from low appeal to zero appeal for me...

TiroFijo
01-27-16, 05:04
2.) From what has been relayed by reports in the field there have been some teething issues with the production guns. LAV reports that hand built versions ran great, so we can take that as the truth. Unfortunately Arsenal partnered with the wrong company to produce a reliable service pistol. Tanfoglio doesn't have that capability, sorry but there it is. Ideally an ISO 9001 manufacturer should have been partnered with. I realize this is much easier said than done, I have very little confidence that their new partners are up to the task either.

Tanfoglio IS an ISO 9001 certified manufacturer:

http://www.tanfoglio.it/eng/customer-satisfaction.php

IME, there is very little ISO 9001 brings to the quality of any product, be it bricks or guns. It all depends on the company values, technical knowlege, and QC.

Coal Dragger
01-27-16, 05:29
Well I learn something everyday. Either way they botched the pistol from what we can tell.

Perhaps the design doesn't lend itself to mass production without hand assembly and tuning.

mig1nc
01-27-16, 05:33
I wouldn't hold my breath.

They have made multiple mistakes in marketing this pistol in the US (in my admittedly worthless opinion).

1.) The decision to initially offer a gigantic 5" barreled full size (and then some) service auto wasn't too bright. A big brick of a handgun that can't reasonably be concealed won't get very far with US civilian buyers, or law enforcement agencies.

3.) The decision to utilize a sighting arrangement with the rear sight being a fixed part of the rear plate on the slide was and remains pants on head retarded. Arsenal should have utilized a dovetail rear sight, and would have been smart to select a dovetail cut that is shared with some other popular service autos already on the market.

What I think (again not worth much) needs to happen:

1.) Get serious about finding a manufacturing partner with a reputation for quality, that has a dealer network and an established presence in the handgun marketplace. The best bet would be to find one that is in need of a competitive entry into the high capacity personal defense, and LEO duty market. Even better if that manufacturer has experience in submitting weapons for and fulfilling government contracts with Federal and state/local agencies. If such a company could be convinced to partner with Arsenal or manufacture the pistol under license, maybe we'd see some no shit functional handguns with real no shit factory support. Personally I can think of one firearms manufacturer that desperately needs a product like this to gain some market share, that could probably pull off the manufacturing, marketing, and support side if they'd agree to do it (and if they could come up with the money). If you're thinking the answer to that might be Colt, that is where I'm going with this. I realize it's a pipe dream, but when was the last time Colt made money selling something that Colt actually designed? They didn't design the AR15 but they did manage to improve it to what it is today, they didn't design the 1911 pistol either. So their last commercial successes that were designed in house were the 1873 SAA and some of their double action revolvers. Colt is really good at making quality firearms that other people design, so why not this one?

2.) They need to scale this beast down and offer a model of similar dimensions to a Glock 19. That size of pistol is basically the gold standard now for many agencies, and civilians. If they can make the gun roughly the same size as a Glock 19, with that super low bore axis, good accuracy, and high shootability of the full-size model I think they'd have a winner as long as it runs right. Plus of course make sure the sights are easily changed, and the trigger doesn't suck balls. I realize this is stating the obvious, but I said it anyway.
Did you check out the MAC video? He showed the Glock 19 sized compact. It looked very nice.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

TiroFijo
01-27-16, 05:57
I have the suspicion that even if the compact model works well (with its ultra tall front sight) it will bring precious little/nothing over any other established design.

But people like to play with new things...

LibertyNeverDies
01-27-16, 07:55
I don't think anyone will disagree that salient has fantastic marketing. This fact this is an updated version of the strike will not be common knowledge and this will be released as a brand new gun.

Half of America will know about this gun for 20 freebies given to the right people. The real question will be manufacturing capacity and distribution. Salient doesn't have the wide distribution network desirable for a production gun.

Salients bad rep is on modifying loosely made guns to tighter tolerances. Also insane wait times. Starting from the ground up I have more faith but I'm optimistic to a fault.

If the grip length is another Walther PPQ/VP9 not quite G19 length I think they screwed up.

When I buy a glock I have close to $750 after slight trigger upgrades, sights, mag Vickers mag release, butt plug and shipping. So the features for the price is awesome.

Coal Dragger
01-27-16, 13:35
Did you check out the MAC video? He showed the Glock 19 sized compact. It looked very nice.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

No didn't get the chance, wouldn't work right on my phone for some reason.

MadMatt
02-23-17, 08:26
A bit late, but I just now saw this. Even though I am the one who started this thread 4 years ago, I sort of lost interest in this gun. This is interesting though

http://www.recoilweb.com/recoiltv-gun-room-pmg-stryk-a-108584.html

On this next link just watch the embedded video.

http://www.recoilweb.com/guns/

The most important change seems to be the sights. It now takes anything that fits a Glock Dovetail; smart. I think people were discussing that in this thread a long time ago.

Also the compact version. Again, good move. No idea if they are any good or not.

ArmedNovelist
02-23-17, 14:00
I'm not sure how well these guns are going to sell. I do want one of the Stryk-Bs, but that's not a competitive price over the Glocks.

Coal Dragger
02-23-17, 18:03
The guns are still vaporware and have been for over a year. I don't think Salient Arms could manufacture paper bags on time with all the equipment, unlimited funds, and all the brown paper in the world. I'm not holding my breath that these ever make it to market in any quantity.

SpecWired
05-22-17, 00:14
Apparently they are waiting on ATF for STRYK B and they indicate it's weeks until the first batch drops stateside.

They fixed some of my concerns with the STRYK One. Going with Glock sights is a positive plus. More compact design is appreciated as well.

I'll be checking it out once one lands on dealer shelves. I've always found the action intriguing.

Magsz
05-22-17, 15:32
Spec,

Where is that info that you posted coming from?

SpecWired
05-23-17, 15:44
Magsz, Rain6 is a local dealer that posted a vid with an Arsenal rep a few days ago.

scooter22
05-23-17, 15:45
Spec,

Where is that info that you posted coming from?

It's been all over Instagram for weeks.