PDA

View Full Version : how to insure

gobo57
12-30-12, 00:12
looking at my insurance policy and and have had to adjust, does it make since to schedule more to cover inflated prices to recoup incase of a problem? i feel i have taken more than adequate measures, but can you define a cost for replacement these days? My insurance knows a basic of what i posess, and will cover. that still leaves a very open door for ammo, ect..
i am not sure if this is the proper thread to post in, but feel free to move to gs if need be.

Ed L.
12-30-12, 01:14
A lot of times a homeowners insurance policy only covers $1000-$2000 in firearms.

Thus, you will need to purchase additional insurance to cover more than this. There are special policies for sporting goods and such.

I did one of these with my regular insurance company. They will want a list of receipts or copies of appraisals for the guns you want covered.

NYH1
12-30-12, 02:27
I'll have to look but IIRC, our homeowners insurance covers up to $5000 in firearms. Since it was brought up, I'm going to look into it. If I can get more coverage, I'm going to.

NYH1.

mkmckinley
12-30-12, 02:45
As Ed L. stated our scheduled policy is only going to reimburse you for the replacement cost of an item at the value stated on a receipt or appraisal. If you think something has gone up in value significantly you have to get it appraised for the higher value. Since MSRPs for thing like mags, ammo etc haven't gone up I don't think you'll find reputable appraiser that will exaggerate the values for an insurance policy. If values go up long term that could change but I wouldn't worry about it yet. If you're seriously worried about getting robbed then invest in home security. Beyond living in a safe area you should invest in a good safe and do some research on ways to deter theft. The other consideration is that you're paying a premium based on the coverage you request, so the more you insure your stuff for the higher the premium.