PDA

View Full Version : Getting started coyote hunting...?

ursusmajor
12-30-12, 12:02
I've been a hunter for a while but only of the "usual suspects" of game in my area (deer, rabbit, pheasant, turkey,etc...). I've read about yotes and am interested in trying to hunt for them but don't really know where to start. Obviously, I've searched the internet and other sources for how to start but I'd like to hear from other members about their experience getting started and how it's evolved for them over the years.

In southwestern OH, coyotes are considered a significant problem for local farmers. I know some people who would probably let me hunt their farms but I'd want to make sure I know what I'm doing out there. If they thought I was helping them but my inexperience proved to be ineffective, I would not feel justified in using their land.

Like so many others, my father taught me to hunt and I was able to leverage his experience. It would be great to get out with some experienced yote hunters. There are guided hunts in the vicinity but sometimes these hunts can be too "guided" and turn to shooting, not hunting. If valuable skills were taught on one of these guided hunts, I'd still consider it. Has anyone here tried a guided yote hunt? If so, how involved is the guide? Did they do everything for you or were they more hands-off? This would vary guide to guide of course but I'd love to hear about the experience.

J-Dub
12-30-12, 18:26
Can you hunt at night? We could in Texas but not here in Wyoming.

Basically I would find a buddy to go with you, buy a foxpro (or something like it), and go hunting. If you can hunt at night having two guys helps so one can work the caller and spot light and one guy shoots.

Read up on calling techniques, ect. Coyote hunting can require lots and lots of land. Most guys move setups if they dont have any action within the first 20mins.

There is a dude on here from OK that piles up the dogs, Im sure he'll be along shortly with more info. I've dabbled in predator hunting, but never really got "into" it.

jmnielsen
12-30-12, 18:32
Don't drop cash on an electronic call. But a $10 mouth call and get good with it. That's what I did. Once I knew I enjoyed it and got good at coyote hunting I bought a $500 foxpro. But i used mouth calls for 3 years before that.

Lots of land is the truth. I don't sit over 20 minutes unless Im somewhere I may call a kitty in, then ill go to 30-35. Also, Don't be afraid to take a long walk from the car. Some people don't venture far enough from their vehicles. And don't get discourage. It took me a while to call in my first yote.

J-Dub
12-30-12, 19:33
The mouth call is true. I have a Burnham Brothers mini blaster that cost me all of 10 or 12 bucks, and it works well.

ursusmajor
12-30-12, 21:27
Can you hunt at night? We could in Texas but not here in Wyoming.

Yes, we can night hunt them and that's part of the reason it's such a draw for me. I *might* be able to borrow a foxpro as I know a guy who has one but doesn't live near me anymore.

It's interesting about the shortness of wait time after calling...I'm used to spending a considerable amount of time in one place but I've never tried predator hunting and it sounds more active than most other types.

I appreciate the replies so far guys.

GunBugBit
01-22-13, 10:56
My friends and I have been hunting yotes in unit 44a in western AZ. No luck there. Next up will be an area south of the White Tank mountains where the guy with the black AK and his other buddies regularly shoot coyotes, and then I hope we can all go up to central AZ near Camp Verde and into the Bradshaw mountain area.

Even though one of us has had good luck getting yotes with a black rifle, we have camo-wrapped our rifles and keep pursuing the finer points of using an electronic call. I run the call since I own it and I think I overdo it.

Here is a pic of my buddies and me on our first coyote hunt. That's me second from the left. I didn't ask the other guys if they wanted their faces shown so I blacked them out.

https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=14976&stc=1&d=1358873335

Incidentally, we all recently learned of AZ HB 2640 that eliminates restrictions on magazine capacity for hunting. We still stick with 5-rounders and carry 30-rounders in our packs.

420ollie
01-22-13, 11:18
You need plenty of patience. You can use a electronic call or a manual call. Pay attention to the winds and surrounding area. They are smart and will use the wind and may pick up on your scent. So a scent blocker would help.

jmnielsen
01-22-13, 11:35
Even though one of us has had good luck getting yotes with a black rifle, we have camo-wrapped our rifles and keep pursuing the finer points of using an electronic call. I run the call since I own it and I think I overdo it.

That's quite possible. I have a buddy that likes to not shut it off for the entire stand. Me personally, I've found that doing 30sec- 1min periods of calling with 2-3 minutes off works great.

GunBugBit
01-22-13, 11:39
That's quite possible. I have a buddy that likes to not shut it off for the entire stand. Me personally, I've found that doing 30sec- 1min periods of calling with 2-3 minutes off works great.
That's a similar pattern to what I tried last time out based on advice of successful yote hunters. A real wounded rabbit, or especially one being killed by a predator, doesn't holler for 20 minutes straight! If coyotes are in the area, it doesn't take much to get their ears perked up and they will avoid a sound that doesn't seem right, is the thinking, and it makes a lot of sense to me.

Paying attention to the wind/smell situation is also critical.

GcHinOH
01-22-13, 15:51
Where in SW Ohio are you? I'm about as far south and west as you can get and am also looking at starting to go for them this year as my son is starting to shoot bigger guns competently and he wants to give it a try.
Curious to hear details on how it goes for you.

ursusmajor
01-25-13, 06:50
Where in SW Ohio are you? I'm about as far south and west as you can get and am also looking at starting to go for them this year as my son is starting to shoot bigger guns competently and he wants to give it a try.

I'm in Liberty Township about 25 miles north of Cincy. Things being what they are, I haven't had the chance to get out there and try for them but I have seen a few in the area recently. I'm planning on trying in Feb.

Skill_Kills
02-02-13, 18:36
I usually call for about a minute and then give it 2-3 mins off. the yotes around here have gotten pretty smart and we havn't had any this year. hardly any tracks this winter as well

EchoHotel
02-15-13, 20:45
I hunt coyote up here in north east ohio at the farm, I hunt at night with my ar or my savage 17hmr with atn night vision scope, biggest keys to getting the coyotes to come out of the tree line for me is either a rabbit in distress call and a slaughtered rabbit in the field, scent blocker, and the biggest difference i notice is setting up shop about hour and a half before dusk and setting up my hide and bait before the coyotes are up and around. I got a rabbit in distress call tape from gander mountain and it did not work that well then my friend showed me how to make the call using the back of my hand it always brings them in. Another thing I have noticed is after I get a coyote in the field is to make sure and dig up the bloodied soil and bury it so they can not easily smell it. I am able to get the yotes in to about 55 yards of me which is about 130 yards from the treeline normally i can take 3-4 before they can retreat back to the treeline.
One thing too is you cannot use the same method everytime coyotes are smarter than you think and will start to get spooked easier, everynow and then I switch areas, throw dead chickens live stock in the field where I want them to get use to coming in for a couple of days before I plan my ambush. Hell I have gone as far as chaining out live bait (rabits and sick baby goats sheep) <---- seems cruel but works to bring them in 99.99% of the time

SeriousStudent
02-15-13, 22:20
You may want to reach out to a member here named LittleLebowski. If I recall correctly, his family has a ranch in Wyoming, and they resolve coyote issues themselves.

Good luck and have fun, they are are not referred to as "Wily Coyotes" for nothing!

Koshinn
02-16-13, 01:16
Wormydog is a champion yote hunter round these parts. I've met him and his brother, great guys. He also posts tons of pictures in the picture threads here.

I'm sure he'd help out with any questions!

Sooie
02-17-13, 12:07
any of yall eat coyote too? its not bad.

Crock Pot Coyote
Four pounds of coyote meat. 16 ounces of apricot preserves. One bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce. One half of a red onion, diced. Half teaspoon of salt. Half teaspoon of pepper. Half teaspoon of garlic powder. Put all into a crock pot, let it cook for eight hours, and it's ready to serve.

Stewed Coyote
Four pounds of coyote meat cut into one inch cubes. 11/2 cups of vinegar. A tablespoon of pepper. Two tablespoons of salt. Tablespoon of garlic powder. Half cup of cooking oil. Two large yellow onions, diced. Three cups of tomato sauce. Ten cups of boiling water. Two red bell peppers cut into strips. Two bay leaves. One teaspoon of Tabasco sauce. One can of pineapple chunks.

Marinate the meat in a mixture of the recipe's vinegar, pepper, salt and garlic powder for two hours. Fry the meat in the oil, using a large wok, or a large cast iron skillet. Add the onions, pineapple and sauté until tender. Once tender, pour into a pot, adding the tomato sauce and boiling water, add your bell pepper, bay leaves and Tabasco. Cover and simmer until meat is tender. (My dear friend Phil Schweik says you can substitute lamb for the coyote, because the taste is similar, but why would you he asks, since coyote is a heckuva lot cheaper than lamb!).

Grilled Coyote
Slow cook the coyote meat over a grill, marinate with some fruit based glaze, roll in cabbage leaves when done, and serve with steamed white rice.

Deep Fried Coyote
Cut your coyote meat into one inch chunks, then soak in buttermilk overnight. Prepare your deep fryer, then bread the coyote meat in your favorite breading, and deep fry until done. Quick, easy and tasty.

Coyote Jerky
Simple to prepare and better than beef. Just follow ANY jerky recipe and substitute thin sliced coyote meat for beef, venison or whatever. You'll never know the difference

zacii
02-20-13, 20:19
Throw away the coyote and eat the crock pot.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Atlshaun
02-21-13, 10:56

Crock Pot Coyote
Four pounds of coyote meat. 16 ounces of apricot preserves. One bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce. One half of a red onion, diced. Half teaspoon of salt. Half teaspoon of pepper. Half teaspoon of garlic powder. Put all into a crock pot, let it cook for eight hours, and it's ready to serve.

Stewed Coyote
Four pounds of coyote meat cut into one inch cubes. 11/2 cups of vinegar. A tablespoon of pepper. Two tablespoons of salt. Tablespoon of garlic powder. Half cup of cooking oil. Two large yellow onions, diced. Three cups of tomato sauce. Ten cups of boiling water. Two red bell peppers cut into strips. Two bay leaves. One teaspoon of Tabasco sauce. One can of pineapple chunks.

Marinate the meat in a mixture of the recipe's vinegar, pepper, salt and garlic powder for two hours. Fry the meat in the oil, using a large wok, or a large cast iron skillet. Add the onions, pineapple and sauté until tender. Once tender, pour into a pot, adding the tomato sauce and boiling water, add your bell pepper, bay leaves and Tabasco. Cover and simmer until meat is tender. (My dear friend Phil Schweik says you can substitute lamb for the coyote, because the taste is similar, but why would you he asks, since coyote is a heckuva lot cheaper than lamb!).

Grilled Coyote
Slow cook the coyote meat over a grill, marinate with some fruit based glaze, roll in cabbage leaves when done, and serve with steamed white rice.

Deep Fried Coyote
Cut your coyote meat into one inch chunks, then soak in buttermilk overnight. Prepare your deep fryer, then bread the coyote meat in your favorite breading, and deep fry until done. Quick, easy and tasty.

Coyote Jerky
Simple to prepare and better than beef. Just follow ANY jerky recipe and substitute thin sliced coyote meat for beef, venison or whatever. You'll never know the difference

No way i could eat coyote.

EchoHotel
02-21-13, 12:05
I would rather eat my dog at least I know where she has been

kry226
02-21-13, 16:01
Never had yote, and never plan to.

However, if times get tough, much like a SHTF scenario, anything with meat on its bones better look out.

I am sure folks back during the GD didn't turn their noses at a lot of critters. :dirol:

Atlshaun
02-21-13, 17:08
Never had yote, and never plan to.

However, if times get tough, much like a SHTF scenario, anything with meat on its bones better look out.

I am sure folks back during the GD didn't turn their noses at a lot of critters. :dirol:

No doubt that when the rubber meets the road you gotta eat what's available.

rocsteady
03-02-13, 17:22
Might have to add that to my list of "I know the S has hit the fan if" ... - I decide to eat the coyote I just dropped with a well placed TSX.

AR Newby AZ
07-11-13, 04:29
I'm in AZ, me and my buddy just got into yote hunting. Last time out we weren't successful as expected. Anyone have an area that they're willing to share?

strow
07-11-13, 22:10
I'm in AZ, me and my buddy just got into yote hunting. Last time out we weren't successful as expected. Anyone have an area that they're willing to share?

AR Newby AZ, what part of the state are you in? I would recommend becoming a member of one of the state predator calling assoc or the ATA (AZ Trappers Assoc). The ATA is having its annual convention in Globe July 26th and 27th at the Gila Country Fairgrounds. Some very good trappers and callers will be there. Hope this helps.

AR Newby AZ
07-11-13, 22:14
AR Newby AZ, what part of the state are you in? I would recommend becoming a member of one of the state predator calling assoc or the ATA (AZ Trappers Assoc). The ATA is having its annual convention in Globe July 26th and 27th at the Gila Country Fairgrounds. Some very good trappers and callers will be there. Hope this helps.

Located in the east valley of Phoenix. I will look into that. Thanks for the info.

NickyDunzo
08-13-13, 06:30
In my region of New York "Catskills" the yotes sea to be coming in waves. Usually every 2 years or so I'll see about 4 and do notice that the varmint/fawn population diminishes. This year seams to be an off year as the last trail cam pic and sign of tracks I've seen was in late February. Also the small critters are thriving. Rabbits, woodchucks, fisher, large flocks of turkey and plentiful fawns. It is definitely hard hunting yotes around my immediate area as it is heavy tree cover and they don't seam to like to leave the tree line much.

jmnielsen
08-14-13, 09:19
In my region of New York "Catskills" the yotes sea to be coming in waves. Usually every 2 years or so I'll see about 4 and do notice that the varmint/fawn population diminishes. This year seams to be an off year as the last trail cam pic and sign of tracks I've seen was in late February. Also the small critters are thriving. Rabbits, woodchucks, fisher, large flocks of turkey and plentiful fawns. It is definitely hard hunting yotes around my immediate area as it is heavy tree cover and they don't seam to like to leave the tree line much.

My area has been hit hard with mange, and the winters haven't been very harsh so there have been a lot that made it through and kept passing it on.

T2C
09-20-13, 20:55

Crock Pot Coyote

Stewed Coyote

Grilled Coyote

Deep Fried Coyote

Coyote Jerky

I shot another coyote yesterday. My designated coyote rifle was in the safe, where it always is when I see one, and I anchored him with my 8mm Mauser. I hit him in the right shoulder and cut him into two pieces.

I guess I could make coyote stew, but he was covered in ticks. What do you do about the ticks before cooking your coyote? Do you remove the ticks or just add extra seasoning to cover the taste of the ticks?

aguila327
09-20-13, 21:35
I shot another coyote yesterday. My designated coyote rifle was in the safe, where it always is when I see one, and I anchored him with my 8mm Mauser. I hit him in the right shoulder and cut him into two pieces.

I guess I could make coyote stew, but he was covered in ticks. What do you do about the ticks before cooking your coyote? Do you remove the ticks or just add extra seasoning to cover the taste of the ticks?

The ticks usually start dropping off as the body cools. The ones still attached come off when you skin the yote. I've never tried to eat one. Here in NY they look a little to lean and tough.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2