PDA

View Full Version : Sonic Cleaner Reviews

MonkeyBones
12-30-12, 14:12
I purchased a sonic cleaner about three weeks ago and have been using it to clean brass. It has worked great. Has anyone used it on M4 components?

markm
12-30-12, 14:14
It works ok on some parts. Silencer mounts, gas tubes, etc.

It splotched the finish on my Colt BCG so I don't use it for those anymore. I guess if you had a Nickel Boron bolt it's be alright.

RearwardAssist
12-30-12, 14:45
I have used mine on on my colt bcg many times and my frineds have thrown in there bcg from bushmaster to dd all without problems. Mark what solution are you using?

scoutfsu99
12-30-12, 16:03
It splotched the finish on my Colt BCG so I don't use it for those anymore. I guess if you had a Nickel Boron bolt it's be alright.

Did the same on my BCM. I don't know if it was my fault or the cleaners fault but I only use it for certain things now.

NWPilgrim
12-30-12, 16:10
I used mine (Lymans) on my BCGs (LMT and BCM) with the part cleaner solution. Cleaned well except did not break up the caked on carbon behind the gas rings. Reverted back to just cleaning with bore cleaner and brass scraper. I might try it again with other solutions to test. For one BCG it is not worth the time to set up and run, but for 3-4 at a time it would be great if I could get the carbon to break up easily.

RearwardAssist
12-30-12, 16:20
I used mine (Lymans) on my BCGs (LMT and BCM) with the part cleaner solution. Cleaned well except did not break up the caked on carbon behind the gas rings. Reverted back to just cleaning with bore cleaner and brass scraper. I might try it again with other solutions to test. For one BCG it is not worth the time to set up and run, but for 3-4 at a time it would be great if I could get the carbon to break up easily.

Does yours heat the water? I have used the hornady cleaning solution and turn the heater on mine and it works well still leaves a little carbon built up but from the heat and solution it brushes right off with a nylon brush or your finger nail.

Suwannee Tim
12-30-12, 20:27
Some of the cleaners available are very alkaline and could damage the phosphated finish of a bolt carrier. There is no substance known to man that will remove carbon deposits that will not also react with common metals. Carbon is pretty inert stuff at room temperature or even boiling. You pretty much have to remove carbon mechanically.

markm
12-31-12, 06:55
I just tried it with straight water. No chemicals.

Outerlimits
12-31-12, 19:11
I use the Harbour freight sonic cleaner, For cleaning my firearms. I let the cleaner heat the water with a few drops of dish soap and 5~6 sprays of simple green. For the dish soap, I try use the ones with out added hand softener or add scents. You do have to watch out for painted and silk screened items. Like painted on dots for sights or the trijicon text on sights. My M&P has a Nickel Boron coating, no ill affect so far on the coating. It's nice to be able to pull a bolt out of the tank and be able to wipe it down with a white towel that does not turn all black when done.

NWPilgrim
12-31-12, 19:21
Yes, my Lyman sonic cleaner does heat the solution as well. Tried adding a squirt of Dawn dish soap to the parts cleaner and it was still a no go on the carbon. But everything else of course is spic and span clean. Ran three BCGs through it yesterday. I only do that about once or twice a year and most times just wipe them down with Ed's Red and scrape the carbon anyway.

RearwardAssist
12-31-12, 19:35
I just tried it with straight water. No chemicals.

That seems really strange with just water was it hard water marks? I know they recommend distilled water. I have also read not to run aluminum in it, but not really applicable to this situation?

Yes, my Lyman sonic cleaner does heat the solution as well. Tried adding a squirt of Dawn dish soap to the parts cleaner and it was still a no go on the carbon. But everything else of course is spic and span clean. Ran three BCGs through it yesterday. I only do that about once or twice a year and most times just wipe them down with Ed's Red and scrape the carbon anyway.
Maybe give the hornady solution a try.

dwhitehorne
12-31-12, 19:37
We have a double sonic tank at work. I use it every month on something. One side is heated with the cleaner and the other side is just for lube. I have nineteen Colt SMG's that I use for training on our indoor range that is not rifle rated. About every quarter, I drop two in at a time for an hour and they come out like new everytime. I've never seen any marks left on weapons, but I'm not really looking either. I use L&R cleaning solution. The only issue I've ever had was leaving a HK53 in with the heat on high and wiped the painted finish right off. Ooops. But that did teach me I can take my krylon AR back to black in an hour :D David

kyarguy
01-03-13, 16:47
I use a Hornady cleaner on my Bolt and suppressor internals. Works great.