PDA

View Full Version : Best way to sell gold jewlery?

kaltesherz
12-30-12, 16:41
A friend was mentioning to me the other day how much more expensive it was to replace a lost wedding band and it got me thinking- I've got my both mine and my ex wife's wedding bands in the safe, not doing anything, so it might be a good time to sell them. They're both white gold with no diamonds. Any ideas?

Belmont31R
12-30-12, 17:06
We sold some stuff of my mom's that was broken, missing an earring, ect.

Basically just called around the gold buying places, and asked them what percent of spot they paid for scrap jewelry. Highest was 80%. You won't get spot because it has to be smelted down, and the percent they pay depends on what karat gold it is. The place we went to pumped it up to 85% for 18k.

If you have any large stones they probably won't give you shit for them, and that's because diamonds are marked up enormously on retail. They aren't going to give you near retail prices for them. If you have a larger center stone or accent stones have them pulled from the ring. You can always reuse them later, and if you go to buy another ring you can have one made and use the stones you already paid retail on once...or even something like a pendant. My wife has a pendant in a heart shape my mom had made from her first ring my dad gave her (not divorced just changed rings over the years, and had her first one made into the pendant).

The little tiny diamonds in a lot of rings aren't worth crap. They might give you $20 for em if anything.

montanadave
12-30-12, 17:45
Just find a local coin shop that trades gold coins. Here's a link to some sites that might help you get a rough idea what they're worth: http://www.precious-metal-refining.info/what-are-my-14k-gold-wedding-rings-worth/