PDA

View Full Version : Good option for a B.O.B or G.H.B?

bluejackets92fs
12-31-12, 01:28
I am very new to the whole prepping thing and really wish I would have started sooner. What I have been doing is making a 72 hour/bug out bag. I have almost all of it completed with the exception of a few loose ends. I am looking for a discreet bag that is durable. Would this be a good option or should I look at another brand. I really want an Eberlestock but that would be way over kill for my pack as of right now. I would get it in black.
http://oakleyvault.com/product/oakley-flak-pack-3/92271OVT-411

Kaw77
12-31-12, 10:21
seems a little small, honestly
I notice that the zippered side pockets may be too small for water/Nalgene bottles?
I don't see a waist belt - but if that doesn't matter to you......

Kaw77
12-31-12, 10:26
edit would not let me post this link, sorry for 2 part response
check this out - it receives numerous positive reviews and is a reasonable cost

http://www.backcountryedge.com/kelty-redwing-50-3100.aspx?utm_source=GoogleMerch&utm_medium=dfm&zProductAttributeID=3167&utm_campaign=pla&utm_term={keyword}&gclid=CK2th_2GxbQCFeiPPAodMxoAxQ

Who0ligan
12-31-12, 12:10
Agreed, much too small for those purposes unless you're only packing the basics. It all comes down to what you're aiming to keep in it. I would say for a BOB you'll need something that's at least 2500ci.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

bluejackets92fs
12-31-12, 19:11
Thanks for the tips guys.
So far my kit consist of enough items for a few days. Basic first aid items, water purification system, zip ties, paracord for shelter making, fishing line, water proof container. I know i'm leaving items out.

I know it needs improving and I will get it there. I will probably go bigger since I will find more things to put in there I'm sure. Cost really isn't a huge concern but I am also not wanting to drop $300 on something either.

RatDrall
01-02-13, 05:49
Thanks for the tips guys.
So far my kit consist of enough items for a few days. Basic first aid items, water purification system, zip ties, paracord for shelter making, fishing line, water proof container. I know i'm leaving items out.

Focus on the things that will kill you the fastest (and the mostest): Dehydration, Hypothermia, and Injuries.

As to which 'pack, I'd recommend something made like the military grade backpacks, but maybe with less MOLLE webbing. A few companies make "urban" versions of their military backpacks, including Camelbak, Tactical Tailor, and others. Don't get too hung up on getting a "civilian" bag, military looking stuff has become common fashion in the last few years and doesn't stand out like it used to.

I would say for a BOB you'll need something that's at least 2500ci.

Jeff Randall, of Randall's Adventure Training (RAT Cutlery, ESEE knives!) uses a 1400 ci Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon for his bugout bag.

"The more you know, the less you need"

I always recommend a small backpack with absolute essentials (only) inside - the stuff mentioned earlier: water (storage, collection and purification), shelter (layered clothing, poncho, lightweight tarp, paracord, hatchet for making a shelter with natural materials), and a very good trauma and first aid kit. Things like a multi tool, fixed blade knife, and other tools go in here as well.

Everything else goes into a duffel bag that can easily be thrown into your truck or car, but could be left behind if you had to. In here goes spare clothing, food, etc. that would be nice to have, but not life or death to be without.

Who0ligan
01-02-13, 11:47
"The more you know, the less you need"

Well considering he says that he is pretty new to this then he should need a little more :D

I've always been a firm believer of having a little more than you need, and still having some room in your pack in case you need it. While the size you recommend is doable, for someone who is a little newer to the game with (possibly) less wilderness skills, I think something a little bigger would be more appropriate. My bag is roughly 2600ci and has plenty of room for everything one would need for a 72hr bag (for these types of bags I always recommend at least some water and some MREs/Mountain House/Protein bars to hold you over for 3 days) and still be fairly light (15-25lbs), without being huge. At the end of the day it's up to the user whether they'd like small and compact with less stuff, or bigger and a little less compact, with the tradeoff of more goodies.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

soulezoo
01-02-13, 11:51
Without giving a specific recommendation, do some research and make yourself a list. There is a ton of info on what to pack and why. That doesn't make them all right or necessary, but gives you some ideas you can take away for yourself. Make that list and you'll have an idea of what size bag you'll need. From there make sure you get a good quality bag; one that is comfortable with weight in it. There are plenty of choices. You don't need a kifaru, but you don't want the made in china crap either.

I've seen BoB's from 1500-6000 ci. Depends on what you're willing to hump and decide you can't do without. Liquor makes up entirely too much weight in mine! Lol