PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking with chest rig and other kit

TacticalTyler
12-31-12, 07:49
I searched around and couldnt really find anything close to the question I have.
My problem is for a 3 day backpack or longer hikes/camping. Well,I despise full chest rigs and molle plate carriers.. Im more of a belt guy, or shooter bag.. Something slimmer an lowprofile.
Well, when Im carrying a load with the backpack most have a support belt and it really helps.. But it makes it hard an cumbersome wearing a mollebelt or running a shooters bag is almost impossible.
Any solutions? I dont like being all decked out like some warrior. I just want to carry some mags an ammo, but have it in a way I can access them instantly in worst case scenario. Yes I know a pistol is fine protection out hiking/camping, but im also thinking disaster/prep scenario. So just figuring how to a run rifle and ammo with a load bearing pack?
Just lose the support belt I guess?

Grizzly16
12-31-12, 13:27
Have you looked into the hill people gear bags? (http://hillpeoplegear.com/) they are pretty dang handy for backpacking or running.

urbantroy
12-31-12, 21:19
I've used the OSOE Micro Rig (PALS) with a backpack for a while now and the system has worked well for me. I'm able to have up to 4x rifle magazines, 2x pistol magazines, IFAK, Admin Pouch, and if I ditch a rifle mag pouch, then my secondary too.

Have you seen other 'micro' rigs such as SORD, Tactical Tailor (Mini MAV), HSGI, HPG etc.?

There's also High Ground Gear with the HG830 (and other variants) which offer a unique solution to running a battle belt and hip supported pack.

Lone_Ranger
01-01-13, 08:22
Anyone know who makes something like the TAD Gear Bandoleer? I don't think TAD makes it anymore.

http://www.militarymorons.com/equipment/2ndline2.html

I like the looks of the OSOE Micro Rig, but their price is a big drawback. It looks like you can't order it with the padded H harness, from the get go. You have to order with the standard harness, and add an H harness, which jacks the price up even more.

photosniper
01-04-13, 18:10
I cannot speak highly enough of the Hill People Gear Kit Bag. I started using it about a year ago and it's been on a backcountry trip in the Smoky Mountains and a four day hike across the Presidentials in New Hampshire along with tons of day hikes and other camping trips. In it I carry all the items I don't want to be left without, I could loose my main backpack and still have the emergency items I need to survive. Fire kit, First Aid kit, Paracord and Contractor garbage bags for shelter, space blanket, Aquamira water filter, Steripen, signaling mirror, camera, fixed blade knife and leatherman tool and in the back pouch closest to me is my Kahr or M&P Pistol. When I get to camp, the big bag is dropped but I wear my Kit bag always around camp, at night it is hung on the tarpline for my hammock.
I can speak truthfully when I say there is no better, discreet carry bag that can deploy a pistol as fast as the Hill People Kit Bag. On a multi-day hike this past fall, my hiking partner and I got charged by a pair of dogs about five miles from the nearest road. We both deployed our pistols so quickly, it absolutely amazed us both (and no, we didn't have to shoot the dogs, thankfully).
I love my Hill People Kit bag so much that it goes everywhere with me.

03humpalot
01-10-13, 08:54
When im stateside my hill people gear bag is either on me or in my truck 24/7. I normally carry a pocketknife/pistol (1911 or glock 19) w/x200 and 2 spare mags, a small set of bino's and a small med kit in it.

While its not designed for it i have ran it with 2 spare 30 round pmags as well. Ran some transition drills on the timer with last winter and while its nowhere near as fast as a quality belt holster it is workable fyi.

Excellent piece of gear.

mikeD1Esel
01-14-13, 17:40
I highly recommend the TT mini mav, I love all of TT gear but that little molle panel is amazing.

Grizzly16
01-29-13, 16:12
When im stateside my hill people gear bag is either on me or in my truck 24/7. I normally carry a pocketknife/pistol (1911 or glock 19) w/x200 and 2 spare mags, a small set of bino's and a small med kit in it.

While its not designed for it i have ran it with 2 spare 30 round pmags as well. Ran some transition drills on the timer with last winter and while its nowhere near as fast as a quality belt holster it is workable fyi.

Excellent piece of gear.

I just got back from a 2 day 28 mile hike where aside from my sleeping bag and bladder I lived out of the HPG bag.

Contents included:
1 M&P full size w/ light
1 Extra mag
1 Basic med kit from wwc
1 Mora knife
1 headlamp
1 backup batteries
1 Vacuum sealed "oh no pack" - Mylar blanket, poncho, 10 matches 3 Vaseline soaked cotton balls
1 strikefire
1 topo map + compass
1 Mag light
1 Bottle of tincture of iodine
100 ft 6lb test mono line + 4 hooks + small bobber

That packed it pretty full but it was still comfortable to wear. It also left a little room to pack in tinder as I saw it along the hike for starting a fire at night.

LonghunterCO
01-30-13, 21:47
When you all are talking HPG packs are you taking about the chest rig "Kit Bag" or their full blown pack?

Dave L.
01-31-13, 01:02
I just got back from a 2 day 28 mile hike where aside from my sleeping bag and bladder I lived out of the HPG bag.

Which specific HPG bag?

Also, how did you carry the sleeping bag and bladder?

Grizzly16
01-31-13, 06:15
Which specific HPG bag?

Also, how did you carry the sleeping bag and bladder?

Sorry I forget they make quite a few. It was the original kit bag: http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/InDetail/KitBags/tabid/922/Default.aspx

It was carried un-docked. I wanted to try wearing the pack alone so I could drop the bigger stuff and still keep the hpg kit bag on.

The bladder was carried in large but craptastic jansport hiking pack. The sleeping bag was paracorded to the pack. I'm just getting into hiking/camping that doesn't involve getting a gravel site with a fire pit, showers and normal setup. So this trip was a test to see what I can and can't do. I went in with enough gear to supply a few people for 3 days. With the goal being to use none of it. Thankfully of the 25lb of gear in the back I did the hike using zero pounds of it. It served as a camelback/sleeping bag mount.

We are planning on going back soon. At which point the big bag will be left at home and I'll just roll with a hpg kit bag, camelback and sleeping bag.

Ironman8
01-31-13, 07:35
Sorry I forget they make quite a few. It was the original kit bag: http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/InDetail/KitBags/tabid/922/Default.aspx

It was carried un-docked. I wanted to try wearing the pack alone so I could drop the bigger stuff and still keep the hpg kit bag on.

The bladder was carried in large but craptastic jansport hiking pack. The sleeping bag was paracorded to the pack. I'm just getting into hiking/camping that doesn't involve getting a gravel site with a fire pit, showers and normal setup. So this trip was a test to see what I can and can't do. I went in with enough gear to supply a few people for 3 days. With the goal being to use none of it. Thankfully of the 25lb of gear in the back I did the hike using zero pounds of it. It served as a camelback/sleeping bag mount.

We are planning on going back soon. At which point the big bag will be left at home and I'll just roll with a hpg kit bag, camelback and sleeping bag.

I'm not sure I understand your setup...

If all you have is your HPG Kit Bag with basic survival essentials, a sleeping bag, and a bladder (I'm assuming the bladder is carried in a camelbak carrier and not a "backpack" that includes othe gear storage), then where do you plan to carry food, spare clothes, ect?

Or are you only using this setup for an overnighter where you're not concerned with that?

Grizzly16
01-31-13, 08:22
I'm not sure I understand your setup...

If all you have is your HPG Kit Bag with basic survival essentials, a sleeping bag, and a bladder (I'm assuming the bladder is carried in a camelbak carrier and not a "backpack" that includes othe gear storage), then where do you plan to carry food, spare clothes, ect?

Or are you only using this setup for an overnighter where you're not concerned with that?
It was a ~3day/2night hike. It is a 28 mile loop trail and not everyone on the hike was in great shape to through hike. We all had a good meal before the hike. Then hiked in about 2 miles friday night setup camp and a small fire. Saturday was about 16 miles, camp then finish Sunday.

Spare clothes... bah that is fluff. I had enough layers to keep me warm while hiking (temps ranged from 53 as a high to about 28 at night). As for food I had 4 or 5 datrex bars stuck in a pocket to munch on if needed. I had planned to go with no food but gave into the temptation of the datrex coconutty goodness.

I'm not an experienced bushmaster yet but I've done a bit of running and fasting in my time to learn how my body responds. 28 miles in two days with no food isn't as bad as it sounds.

And so you don't think I'm full on stupid, this is a well traveled trail, with at least 3 or 4 trail heads no further than 6 miles away at any given time. There really wasn't any danger of starving or freezing to death. We had the gear to make a nice camp. Our goal (which we achieved) was to not use it and learn how we responded to the minimal hike.

ARonBoard
01-31-13, 08:30
I cannot speak highly enough of the Hill People Gear Kit Bag. I started using it about a year ago and it's been on a backcountry trip in the Smoky Mountains and a four day hike across the Presidentials in New Hampshire along with tons of day hikes and other camping trips. In it I carry all the items I don't want to be left without, I could loose my main backpack and still have the emergency items I need to survive. Fire kit, First Aid kit, Paracord and Contractor garbage bags for shelter, space blanket, Aquamira water filter, Steripen, signaling mirror, camera, fixed blade knife and leatherman tool and in the back pouch closest to me is my Kahr or M&P Pistol. When I get to camp, the big bag is dropped but I wear my Kit bag always around camp, at night it is hung on the tarpline for my hammock.
I can speak truthfully when I say there is no better, discreet carry bag that can deploy a pistol as fast as the Hill People Kit Bag. On a multi-day hike this past fall, my hiking partner and I got charged by a pair of dogs about five miles from the nearest road. We both deployed our pistols so quickly, it absolutely amazed us both (and no, we didn't have to shoot the dogs, thankfully).
I love my Hill People Kit bag so much that it goes everywhere with me.

Great post. Any pics of this bag loaded out and the pistol pouch?

LonghunterCO
01-31-13, 08:30
I am not sure as to your AO or what time of year it was, but out here that could get you killed. Thanks for clarifying.

Ironman8
01-31-13, 08:56
It was a ~3day/2night hike. It is a 28 mile loop trail and not everyone on the hike was in great shape to through hike. We all had a good meal before the hike. Then hiked in about 2 miles friday night setup camp and a small fire. Saturday was about 16 miles, camp then finish Sunday.

Spare clothes... bah that is fluff. I had enough layers to keep me warm while hiking (temps ranged from 53 as a high to about 28 at night). As for food I had 4 or 5 datrex bars stuck in a pocket to munch on if needed. I had planned to go with no food but gave into the temptation of the datrex coconutty goodness.

I'm not an experienced bushmaster yet but I've done a bit of running and fasting in my time to learn how my body responds. 28 miles in two days with no food isn't as bad as it sounds.

And so you don't think I'm full on stupid, this is a well traveled trail, with at least 3 or 4 trail heads no further than 6 miles away at any given time. There really wasn't any danger of starving or freezing to death. We had the gear to make a nice camp. Our goal (which we achieved) was to not use it and learn how we responded to the minimal hike.

No, I understand, and I do agree with you that food and extra clothing isn't as necessary as some people make it out to be.

But for me, that just wouldn't work. I need some storage for the extra clothes (which is a very minimal list). I sweat alot and get hot really easily (I just run warmer than most people) so I've found that even into the thirties, if I'm wearing 20+ pounds on my back and hiking rough/steep terain, then all I need is a light baselayer up top and a light baselayer+outter pant down bottom. Otherwise I'd get too hot and start sweating. Depending on weather, I may add a light softshell up top. This means that I carry a heavier baselayer with maybe a light fleece top to sleep in along with a light bag (30 degree bag). Still need to get a HPG Kit Bag for my "gotta have it with me at all times" survival needs.

That is a great idea to go and test gear and theories in order to figure out what you do or don't need. I really need to do that again myself.

So, if you were to do a longer trip where the water that you carry wouldn't be enough, would you carry a cookset for boiling water? What about a tarp for shelter? Ground pad? Ect? Just still think that a backpack that can hold more than just a bladder would be necessary...even if it's more empty than filled.

Grizzly16
01-31-13, 11:17
I'll try and grab some pics tonight.

AO = Arkansas in January, record lows are around 5 degrees. That is very rare usually it doesn't dip below 20 where we were hiking.

No, I understand, and I do agree with you that food and extra clothing isn't as necessary as some people make it out to be.

But for me, that just wouldn't work. I need some storage for the extra clothes (which is a very minimal list). I sweat alot and get hot really easily (I just run warmer than most people) so I've found that even into the thirties, if I'm wearing 20+ pounds on my back and hiking rough/steep terain, then all I need is a light baselayer up top and a light baselayer+outter pant down bottom. Otherwise I'd get too hot and start sweating. Depending on weather, I may add a light softshell up top. This means that I carry a heavier baselayer with maybe a light fleece top to sleep in along with a light bag (30 degree bag). Still need to get a HPG Kit Bag for my "gotta have it with me at all times" survival needs.

That is a great idea to go and test gear and theories in order to figure out what you do or don't need. I really need to do that again myself.

So, if you were to do a longer trip where the water that you carry wouldn't be enough, would you carry a cookset for boiling water? What about a tarp for shelter? Ground pad? Ect? Just still think that a backpack that can hold more than just a bladder would be necessary...even if it's more empty than filled.

I'm the same on heat, anything over 70 and I'm gonna be wet.

Here was my clothing for the trip:
Base layer: under armor heat gear compression shorts, heat gear compression shirt and heat gear socks. This wicks sweat like crazy.
Next layer: 100% wool socks, polypro sport pants, poly pro breathable thin long sleeve running shirt, 100% wool gloves, 100% wool watch cap
Next layer: Medium weight wool sweater
Final: waterproof broken in hiking boots, poncho if it was going to rain.

With that setup I can, and did peel away layers to where I was hiking in boots, socks, compression shorts and shirt. The rest was tied up in a ball if dry or hung off my sleeping bag if it was wet from river crossings or sweat. I worked of the principle that if I was comfortable or warm a layer came off. I'd rather stay a little cool and sweat free than let a layer get soaked with sweat. The great thing about a good sweater is you can pack it up like a backpack to hold your gear if needed.

My sleeping bag was the military ECWS gortex bivy shell + black heavy bag. That will keep you alive down to 0ish. I found a neat trick was to pull a mylar emergency blanket inside the black bag and sleep on top of it. For me that kept in as much heat as it did sleeping on a pad. I tested both ways in my backyard on nights it got to 25 for a good comparison.

Thankfully I got to put it to the test, we had a river crossing about an hour after dark, water was knee deep, temps were about 38. I made a bad foot choice (honestly, I was sick of cold feet from crossing barefoot and tried to rush the walk) and I took a knee int he water. Boots were soaked since I got in a rush and didn't keep them tied high enough. I got on the other side, poured out my boots, pulled on my wool socks and carried on. Within 10 minutes the water warmed up enough to be quite comfortable. Once we got to a camp site we started a fire by a large rock to use as a fire wall. I laid my stuff by the fire to dry over night and got in my sleeping bag with nothing but the under armor heat gear shorts and shirt + wool socks that were a little wet. I wasn't breakign a sweat but with the bivy, black bag and mylar blanket I slept fairly comfortably. When I woke up there was frost on the bivy sack so it got pretty chilly that night.

As too a a longer trip... that would depend.

For water I just dropped tincture of iodine in my water bladder after filling it. Wait 30min-1hour and it is good to go no boiling needed.
For shelter the ecws bivy sack is pretty good up to a light rain. If heavy rain was expected my poncho is long enough to lay over the bivy bag when it is unsnapped.

Like I said, the point of this trip was to learn and suffer if needed in the process. We were in a "safe-ish" area so death wasn't a real fear. The worst we had to fear was a long night of suck.

Big lessons learned:

Be able to start a fire... cotton balls w/ vasoline will turn even wet tinder into a fire because of their burn time
Mylar blankets are amazing. It turned a wet cold night into a pretty comfy sleep
Food is over rated, we hiked 28 miles with 20-25lb of gear (again all the fluffy stuff went unused) I averaged 400 calories each day. In retrospect I might have been better served to eat nothing and let ketosis*sp* kick in.
Wool is also amazing. I'm gonna hug the next sheep I see.
There is a vast difference between need and want. Find that out now.
Get in shape. We were all in decent shape but some guys were to the point of thinking $50 for two Tylenol would have been a good deal. No offense but if you are fat and the biggest walk you have is from the garage to the couch your 80lb bug out bag is gonna break you. You'll be in a ditch some where watching the world pass you buy if the S ever HTFs.

photosniper
02-02-13, 08:23
Great post. Any pics of this bag loaded out and the pistol pouch?

I'll have to shoot a couple of photos of the bag the way I have it set up inside. Here is a shot of me on a 3 day trip this fall with the HPG Kit Bag. I have it hooked into the straps of my GoLite backpack, but can unclip it and take the backpack off, leaving the Kit bag on at all times.