PDA

View Full Version : Piece from The New Yorker on prospects of a new ban

oldtexan
12-31-12, 08:52
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2012/12/can-gun-control-make-it-through-congress.html

This piece lays out in detail what obstacles a new ban would face. Numerous names are listed of people in the Senate and House we can work on to oppose the ban.

tb-av
12-31-12, 09:34
“I know people on our side of the aisle are scared about it, but when I see someone like Warner … Manchin, and even Reid, and not just hinting—Reid said change the laws, Manchin talked specifically about an assault-weapons ban, as did Mark Warner—that’s very meaningful.”

Warner is an absolute classic example of a lying politician. Lie to the people. Tell them you support their gun rights. Then when your State is on the verge of Red/Blue and your uber liberal partner gets elected along side you ..... show your true colors ... ban the guns.

These people have no shame.

bubba04
12-31-12, 09:46
I am optimistic new legislation will not be passed.

Doc Safari
01-02-13, 14:42
Good article. Glad to see someone presenting an analysis of what might actually happen. I don't feel so bad now.

HackerF15E
01-02-13, 19:24
I don’t understand why a disturbed twenty-year-old young man has more firepower to walk into—blast his way into—an elementary school than my niece serving in Kabul, also twenty years old, has at her disposal at a checkpoint at a U.S. Army base.

Where do people -- especially elected representatives -- come up with this obviously incorrect, ignorant crap?

brushy bill
01-02-13, 19:30
Where do people -- especially elected representatives -- come up with this obviously incorrect, ignorant crap?

It is purposefully misleading rhetoric based on emotional appeal. No basis in fact or logic. Designed to appeal to the intellectually lazy masses.

Denali
01-02-13, 21:07
I am optimistic new legislation will not be passed.

“If the N.R.A. has got twenty million dollars that they’re going to kick in, a guy like Bloomberg—or anybody—can step out of the woodwork and say, ‘Here, I’m going to give you cover from the N.R.A.,’ and it wouldn’t even be a big check to write,” the former Reid aide says. “I know people on our side of the aisle are scared about it, but when I see someone like Warner … Manchin, and even Reid, and not just hinting—Reid said change the laws, Manchin talked specifically about an assault-weapons ban, as did Mark Warner—that’s very meaningful.”

Read more: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2012/12/can-gun-control-make-it-through-congress.html#ixzz2GsSph0IL

I'm not optimistic at all. I believe the USA is breaking up, they want those guns, they know that while 90% of you will do anything that they order you to do, about 10% will stand their ground, and use those guns against them...Thats what they are afraid of, thats all that they are afraid of, they could care less about anything beyond that...

Safetyhit
01-03-13, 09:08
It is purposefully misleading rhetoric based on emotional appeal. No basis in fact or logic. Designed to appeal to the intellectually lazy masses.

More than likely it's a combination that and also genuine ignorance. Don't let yourself believe that it can't be the case because they were smart and capable enough to be elected.

Just look at Alan Greyson.