PDA

View Full Version : Howa 1500 .338 Win Mag

ca_fireman19
12-31-12, 11:49
I've searched the forums and I can't find much on the Howa 1500 rifles, let alone the .338 WM specifically...does anyone have any first had knowledge and/or experience with the 1500? Maybe the .338 Winchester Magnum cartridge?

ICANHITHIMMAN
01-01-13, 10:30
I've searched the forums and I can't find much on the Howa 1500 rifles, let alone the .338 WM specifically...does anyone have any first had knowledge and/or experience with the 1500? Maybe the .338 Winchester Magnum cartridge?

Great rifles, action is excellent, has an integrated recoil lug and an m16 style extractor, bolt is also drilled 3 times for over pressure. I am very pleased with min custom I had built of the action. As for the 338 Win mag if you gave me your intended use I could help a lot. I will assume hunting.

ca_fireman19
01-01-13, 14:21
Great rifles, action is excellent, has an integrated recoil lug and an m16 style extractor, bolt is also drilled 3 times for over pressure. I am very pleased with min custom I had built of the action. As for the 338 Win mag if you gave me your intended use I could help a lot. I will assume hunting.

I've never really been interested in hunting. I enjoy challenging my capabilities as a marksman...the point of this rifle will be to punch holes in paper as far away as possible and as close together as possible.

dstocum
01-01-13, 15:58
I've never really been interested in hunting. I enjoy challenging my capabilities as a marksman...the point of this rifle will be to punch holes in paper as far away as possible and as close together as possible.

Well I don't know what "as far away as possible" means to you, so it's difficult to say whether 338 Win Mag will effectively reach that far.

Do you reload? I would be surprised if factory long range target rounds are commonly available for 338 WM.

338 Win Mag has limited case capacity, for the bullet diameter. There are several better choices (338 Lapua, 338 RUM) that will let you extend your range quite a bit using the same bullets. I am a 308 shooter so I don't have the data memorized and I'm not going to do a ton of comparisons, but it looks to me like 7mm Rem Mag will reach just as far as 338 WM.

So, how far as you trying to reach? I expect a 338 WM should reach 1500 yards or so (Hodgdon load data, 300gr SMK, and JBM ballistics), maybe up to 1600 depending on the bullet and initial velocity, before going transonic.

ICANHITHIMMAN
01-01-13, 18:40
Well I don't know what "as far away as possible" means to you, so it's difficult to say whether 338 Win Mag will effectively reach that far.

Do you reload? I would be surprised if factory long range target rounds are commonly available for 338 WM.

338 Win Mag has limited case capacity, for the bullet diameter. There are several better choices (338 Lapua, 338 RUM) that will let you extend your range quite a bit using the same bullets. I am a 308 shooter so I don't have the data memorized and I'm not going to do a ton of comparisons, but it looks to me like 7mm Rem Mag will reach just as far as 338 WM.

So, how far as you trying to reach? I expect a 338 WM should reach 1500 yards or so (Hodgdon load data, 300gr SMK, and JBM ballistics), maybe up to 1600 depending on the bullet and initial velocity, before going transonic.

Great advice, its really not a target round, its also not a long range hunting round. Its more of an all around hunting round for North America game inside 500m for the most part. If you want to punch holes in paper there are a lot better options. Give us a max range you want to be able to engage targets and your shooting experience.

Here is my Howa in 300 win mag, it could be a hunting rifle, target rifle, tactical rifle.
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn119/ICANHITHIMMAN/0042-1.jpg

ca_fireman19
01-01-13, 18:48
The maximum distance I can shoot locally is approx. 1km. Budget is an issue and this particular rifle came up and is priced right for me to purchase and make a few key modifications.

ICANHITHIMMAN
01-01-13, 18:57
If price is an issue then you will be happy to know, your better off with something like a 243, 7mm-08, 6.5 creedmore, 6.5x47 lapua, 260 Remington, 308 Winchester. They cost less for the hand loader and non hand loader alike. Energy on target is not an issue in you case so you want to look at what gets you the most bang for you buck.

The HOWA line is great and very up gradable. I would suggest you get a 308 Winchester if you do not hand load.

ca_fireman19
01-01-13, 19:00
I see hand loading in my near future...energy upon impact is a factor. Though I am mainly considering this a target rifle, it must be practical for all applications...

ICANHITHIMMAN
01-01-13, 19:18
I see hand loading in my near future...energy upon impact is a factor. Though I am mainly considering this a target rifle, it must be practical for all applications...

Well then, consider the 6.5x284. People are not as tough as deer and I would feel good, given perfect shot placement taking a shot on a deer with the 6.5x284 at 1k. Good bullet selection is key in this equation, the Hornady AMAX is a good pic.

dstocum
01-01-13, 20:18
Yeah, I'd be looking at 6.5, 270, and 7mm rounds. Long action is better, IMO, keeps your options open in the future.

I chose a 270 WSM for my long range hunting round. I won't be making hits on medium game at 1000 yards, but it'll kill a sheep with authority at 600, which is about as far as I'd ever take a shot anyway, given perfect conditions.

Just for reference, in a properly built heavy barreled rifle, I'd say a 270 WSM is good for making hits on an E-type silhouette out to 1250-1400 yards. It varies somewhat, depending on the initial velocity (most precise load != highest velocity, generally) and which bullet you choose. The load I'm looking at is a Nosler Accubond 140gr at 3000 feet per second, well below max, but that's what my barrel likes.

ICANHITHIMMAN
01-01-13, 21:04
Yeah, I'd be looking at 6.5, 270, and 7mm rounds. Long action is better, IMO, keeps your options open in the future.

I chose a 270 WSM for my long range hunting round. I won't be making hits on medium game at 1000 yards, but it'll kill a sheep with authority at 600, which is about as far as I'd ever take a shot anyway, given perfect conditions.

Just for reference, in a properly built heavy barreled rifle, I'd say a 270 WSM is good for making hits on an E-type silhouette out to 1250-1400 yards. It varies somewhat, depending on the initial velocity (most precise load != highest velocity, generally) and which bullet you choose. The load I'm looking at is a Nosler Accubond 140gr at 3000 feet per second, well below max, but that's what my barrel likes.

I agree with everything you posted, however I feel some of it is a bit impractical for a non hand loader, 270 wsm is one hell of a nice round given the right bullet (matrix). Why don't you stop on over to www.lonragehunting.com and read what other guys are doing with the 270wsm