PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Rds?

Low Drag
02-26-08, 07:04
I've done a little reading here and a lot of folks seem to like the heavy bullets, 69 gr and up. I tried some this past weekend from my carbine and got some pretty good results at 200 yards. Both the 69 gr and 75 gr rounds performed well from y carbine. The only problem is I left and arm and a leg at the place I bought the 2 lousy boxes. :eek:

So I found a bulk box of Sierra 69 gr Match King AND they were 20% off so I picked them up. Thus far I've only reloaded 55 gr blasting ammo so this will be a bit of a switch. I want to develop a load that will work for match shooting, that match in Pueblo, CO is a tough one.

Does anyone have any gotta's? I plan on putting a light crimp on the round.

I'm going to try to match trajectory of the M855 load so I can use the BDC in my optic. I like to be able to hit with my little 16" AR at ranges where guys with .308 bolt guns don't even try. ;)

I've seen lots of loads in my manuals that look like they'll work. I've got a bunch of AA 2230 that I want to use and I've got the ole "contradicting data" in different sources. It looks like I can run the 69 grain bullet fast enough to get what I want with AA2230.

So any random thoughts for me?

5pins
02-26-08, 10:33
Well since your using a Sierra bullet then I would stay with Sierra data. If your looking for max accuracy then I would not crimp.

WS6
02-26-08, 15:11
Pump a 68/69gr OTM up to around 2950 or so from your 16" and you should come pretty close to matching your optic. That is 5.56 pressure range though.

Low Drag
02-26-08, 19:59
Thanks gents!

5pins
02-27-08, 18:29
I assumed you are using the Sierra bullet. I had forgotten that Nosler also makes 69 grain. I just picked up the new Nosler guide and notice that AA2230 was the most accurate powder used with that bullet. Starting with 21.5gr and maxing out at 23.5. 23.5 was the most accurate of all.

Low Drag
02-27-08, 19:28
I assumed you are using the Sierra bullet. I had forgotten that Nosler also makes 69 grain. I just picked up the new Nosler guide and notice that AA2230 was the most accurate powder used with that bullet. Starting with 21.5gr and maxing out at 23.5. 23.5 was the most accurate of all.

Yes I have the Sierra MK 69 gr. It's good to see AA 2230 is a good powder for the load. I want to get it up to about 2750 fps from my mid length carbine.

I was going to run out and get some other powder but may just stick with the 2230. I am getting mixed info on the load data. Some say 24.5 is max others say 23.5 is max - Those are both from Accurate too.

5pins
02-27-08, 22:14
My sierra manual has a top load of 23.5gr of AA2230 for a velocity of 2700fps out a 20in tube. Top velocity load was 25.5gr of AA2520 for 2900fps. Top accuracy load was varget with 25.3gr for 2750fps. The firearm used in there data was a Colt AR-15 with a 20in barrel with a 1-7 twist.

A lot of the data you will find is out of bolt guns with longer barrels. The Sierra and Nosler manuals both have sections with data from an AR-15. I find that useful.

TY44934
02-28-08, 13:42
I want to develop a load that will work for match shooting, that match in Pueblo, CO is a tough one.

Does anyone have any gotta's?

So any random thoughts for me?

Yes- don't test them at 100 yards. Don't do it. You won't like what you see because you probably expect them to equal 55 grn bullets. These are NOT the same.

Test at 200 to 300 yards. Zediker discusses this in his book. Heavy bullets are deadly accurate, though they often do not "settle down" to group the same way you are accustomed to 55s grouping at 100. Verify with Zediker if you want. He speaks the truth and I've verified it.

Low Drag
02-28-08, 21:02
Yes- don't test them at 100 yards. Don't do it. You won't like what you see because you probably expect them to equal 55 grn bullets. These are NOT the same.

Test at 200 to 300 yards. Zediker discusses this in his book. Heavy bullets are deadly accurate, though they often do not "settle down" to group the same way you are accustomed to 55s grouping at 100. Verify with Zediker if you want. He speaks the truth and I've verified it.

I'll be testing them at 200 then chrono if they look good. Then the plan it to take them out to 600.

Low Drag
03-02-08, 12:58
Well I got out yesterday, it was a beautiful day, 75 with clouds. Today it's snowing and blowing.

Anyway, the 200 yard line was being used for a match so off to the 100. I was about 1" high at 100 with about a 1" group. I strung them laterally so I assume that was me. I'm very pleased with the load's accuracy but they were a touch slow for me, 2715 fps. I want about 2750 fps from my 16" mid length. So I'll add .2 grains for the next run.

I did find I was crimping WAY too much while getting the OAL the way I wanted. I was using 2 cases/bullets, I'd seat, measure then pull them. After the first attempt I found a nice deep ring around the bullet where it was crimped. That can't be good for accuracy, so I backed off the crimper just a bit and now no ring on the bullet but I can see a slight mark on the case mouth.

So sum it up, I'm happy with this bullet and load. I'll tweak it a little to so it works with the BDC in my scope. It'll be a keeper for mid range stuff out the 600 yards and for carbine matches. Not to mention out shooting some fuds with a high end bolt action .308s or bigger. :D

Thanks to everyone for the info/feedback.

Low Drag
03-07-08, 06:43
I'm heading out tomorrow with a new load, I added .2 gr of powder behind the 69 gr bullet. I should be in the ball park of 2750 fps.

Just for grins I loaded up some of my standard 55 gr blasting bullet, now that I've backed off the crimp a bit. I want to see how well the 55 gr bullet groups now. I'm assuming the crimp didn't do much for accuracy. I want to compare group size between the 55 and 69 gr bullets.

Low Drag
03-08-08, 17:09
OK, that adding .2 gr did nothing. Bad deal.

I tried a different powder Accurate 2520 @ 25 gr and it's in there. I got just over 2" at 200 yards and the velocity I wanted.

I'm a happy camper, thank everyone for your advice.

My 55 gr load is now running about 3" at 200 yards, not bad for blasting ammo. (since I backed off crimping so much)

5pins
03-08-08, 21:37
I may have to try some AA2520. Is it a ball powder?

Low Drag
03-08-08, 21:41
I may have to try some AA2520. Is it a ball powder?

Yes, flows well from my Dillon 550. I try only use ball powder.

sapper36
03-09-08, 00:46
Mind if I ask a couple questions? I am getting ready to start reloading 223, looking at my Speer manual the 2520 for a 62 grain bullet requires a magnum primer to be used. Did you do that or a regular primer? I took about 5 years off from shooting so I just want to make sure my book is still accurate. Thanks.

Low Drag
03-09-08, 08:20
Mind if I ask a couple questions? I am getting ready to start reloading 223, looking at my Speer manual the 2520 for a 62 grain bullet requires a magnum primer to be used. Did you do that or a regular primer? I took about 5 years off from shooting so I just want to make sure my book is still accurate. Thanks.

I used a standard small rifle primer from Winchester - WSR. You may want to try Accurate's web page too. They have some load data out there. I like those little "One Book One Caliber' books, very handy.