PDA

View Full Version : How an AWB harms national security?

MountainRaven
01-01-13, 10:39
How many innovations spurred by the commercial market have been successfully adapted by the militaries of the United States and our allies?

The obvious ones to me are the red dot sight and 'anti-material' rifle, particularly the M82 and M107.

More specific to the 'AWB', MagPul would not have made the Pmag... which would mean no Emag or Pmag-LR (both for our British friends) and no improved USGI followers. Would LMT have ever built the LM8? What about the LaRue OBR? Would H&K ever have put the HK45 into production, if such pistols were banned as 'assault pistols' (therefore no HK45C-Tactical)? Would Daniel Defense ever even have stood a chance to become a manufacturer, not even of rifles but just parts accessories? Would KAC have been able to improve the SR-25 to its current level of excellence without the input of civilian instructors who wouldn't have a job without civilians owning 'assault weapons'?

Would anyone have realized the value of 16 inch barrels without the arbitrary minimum barrel length of the NFA and therefore every non-NFA 'assault rifle' carbine being built with a 16 inch tube?

What else might our fighting men and -women have lost out on if it was not for the commercial 'black rifle' market?

Mauser KAR98K
01-01-13, 11:27
Better adjustable stocks. Prior to 2004, there was not a market for them for some reason.

ICANHITHIMMAN
01-01-13, 18:50
You forgot to mention the training aspect. I can attest to 10 or more people, I have had a hand in training. Who have told me they would not be alive today, if military training in firearms is all they had received prior to deployment. I could not have done any of that, if I was not allowed to have my own weapons. They are fundamental to the American way of life.