PDA

View Full Version : Wake county rep price liberal BS here is my response to a letter to him

dashotgun
01-01-13, 17:06
Please take a moment and write to him to tell him he is FOS

Thank you for contacting me regarding the recent mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. I share your profound sadness at this senseless act of violence, which has taken an unimaginable toll on the families of the victims, the Newtown community, and the nation as a whole.

This is a time of national mourning, as well as a time for serious soul-searching and reflection. The Newtown tragedy is just the most recent reminder that our current laws are failing to keep guns out of the hands of those intent on doing harm. The time has come for a renewed focus on gun violence in this country, one that acknowledges that common-sense precautions can help prevent these terrible tragedies while still allowing law-abiding citizens to own and use guns. I refuse to believe that this issue is too complicated or politically divisive to be addressed comprehensively and conclusively. Surely the horror of Sandy Hook should be sufficient to spur us to action.

To that end, I strongly support legislation that would keep assault weapons and high-capacity magazines--which have no legitimate self-defense or recreational purpose--off of our streets. I have also co-sponsored a measure that would close the "gun show loophole," which allows as many as 40 percent of all guns sold in the United States to change hands without criminal background checks. As we look ahead to the new Congress, I am actively considering other reforms that could help prevent another Sandy Hook, Aurora, Oak Creek, Tuscon, or Virginia Tech.

This tragedy is also a reminder that we must address the way in which we treat mental illness in this country. For too long those suffering from these disorders have been stigmatized and isolated from society. The support and treatment we need to offer are currently being compromised, in North Carolina and elsewhere, by misguided budget priorities. We must do better, especially in reaching out to troubled young people.

You may wish to read my recent statement on the Sandy Hook tragedy at http://go.usa.gov/gGfH. Again, thank you for contacting me, and please continue to keep in touch on issues of concern.

Sincerely,

DAVID PRICE

DAVID PRICE
Member of Congress

DEP:ah

PS: Please sign up for periodic updates on issues, events, and town hall meetings at http://go.usa.gov/XMA. You can also stay up-to-date on my work for the 4th District by following me on Twitter @RepDavidEPrice.