PDA

View Full Version : Eat up some Zmax!

robfromsc
01-01-13, 19:37
I got these cheap,not buying into the marketing. But they are just green Vmax.

Loaded with 24.9gn H335 in LC and WCC brass. Cci small rifles. Pretty white bread stuff.
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee239/rob1bike/IMG_20130101_162504.jpg

Meat!!!
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee239/rob1bike/IMG_20130101_161546.jpg
2.57 lbs of rump roast. About 6" tall by 8" deep.

Here's the entry,hit slightly low

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee239/rob1bike/IMG_20130101_162128.jpg

Shot from about 50'. Launched it about 15' high and it landed some 8' away

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee239/rob1bike/IMG_20130101_161727.jpg
That's a piece of Hardy plank that it blew the bottom out of.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee239/rob1bike/IMG_20130101_161754.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee239/rob1bike/IMG_20130101_162004.jpg

Massive wound. It started about 1.5" in and exploded. Had the meat been thicker(that's what she said) it would have shown more damage. It blew the back out.

Id say these would make a pretty stellar HD/SD loading? Over penetration would be nil and center mass on a non armoured target devastating. I understand that these wont penetrate to the central nervous area,but the tissue damage is undeniable.

Kenneth
01-01-13, 19:57
Wow! That's a pretty gruesome sight.

Why wouldn't they penetrate the skull?

robfromsc
01-01-13, 20:04
Wow! That's a pretty gruesome sight.

Why wouldn't they penetrate the skull?

No, doubt it. From the gel testing I've seen the 1.5" penetration is pretty normal. I got these as hot as I was comfortable (Lee auto disc, the next size threw 25.4, which is over max) I don't think speeding these up gets you any more depth. I think they are pretty much designed to pop in and go off.

The gel tests where not as spectacular as this meat test.

This was shot from a 1/9 16" barrel.

Airhasz
01-01-13, 22:58
That second pic looks like you are shooting toward a road...:eek:

robfromsc
01-02-13, 06:54
That second pic looks like you are shooting toward a road...:eek:

That's my driveway

Stump70
01-02-13, 11:36
I'm just as impressed on the damage the board took. :eek:

robfromsc
01-02-13, 12:37
I'm just as impressed on the damage the board took. :eek:

Yep. This is far from a scientific test. That was a brand new piece of Hardy board,while not super strong,it tore though it.

I'm looking for bigger meat(she said that too) to test again.

Todd.K
01-02-13, 12:50
I'm looking for bigger meat(she said that too) to test again.
Why? The performance of light varmint bullets is well known, you can find plenty of gel test results.

robfromsc
01-02-13, 12:59
Why? The performance of light varmint bullets is well known, you can find plenty of gel test results.

To give you a reason to belly ache.

Nemecsek
01-11-13, 08:54
For some reason, this test made me hungry....

Keep up the good work.

BTW, I will not be attending the BBQ at your house this weekend...

xjustintimex
01-11-13, 11:11
On the issue of penetrating the skull... Last weekend I used this pig hunting as its all that was left on the shelves. I shot over 6 pigs in the head and this ammo was going clean through

Edit: sorry was using .308 nvm

jmnielsen
01-11-13, 11:14
On the issue of penetrating the skull... Last weekend I used this pig hunting as its all that was left on the shelves. I shot over 6 pigs in the head and this ammo was going clean through

Was it exiting the skull or penetrating and fragmenting? I've used VMAX for coyotes and the second they hit bone the fragment into oblivion. They usually shatter the bone it hits, though.

Hehuhates
01-11-13, 11:43
I have shot both deer and coyote in the neck with 55gr. poly tipped bullets. Each one shut down the animal instantly Kinetic energy, temporary cavitation, or hydrostatic shock etc. It snaps the spine at the neck and it's lights out. Head shots are silly to me with those type of results. I did shoot a large doe in the forehead once with a .218 bee that I thought I was gonna have to tip over. Deer stood completely erect for about 4 full seconds then fell over like a plastic statue.

xjustintimex
01-11-13, 11:58
Was it exiting the skull or penetrating and fragmenting? I've used VMAX for coyotes and the second they hit bone the fragment into oblivion. They usually shatter the bone it hits, though.

They were going clean through. One pig I shot went through the head and then lodged its self into the head of a second pig standing behind it. But again, I read to fast and didn't realize we were taking about the .223 :o

xjustintimex
01-11-13, 12:00
I have shot both deer and coyote in the neck with 55gr. poly tipped bullets. Each one shut down the animal instantly Kinetic energy, temporary cavitation, or hydrostatic shock etc. It snaps the spine at the neck and it's lights out. Head shots are silly to me with those type of results. I did shoot a large doe in the forehead once with a .218 bee that I thought I was gonna have to tip over. Deer stood completely erect for about 4 full seconds then fell over like a plastic statue.

I've shot two deer in the neck with the .223 using poly tipped bulles as well, and like you, the deer dropped in their spot. but there was no exit and basically no blood so if they did run... tracking would be hard.

Doc. Holiday
01-11-13, 12:21
Pretty cool to see. Sometimes it's nice to see devastation in other things besides gel. It kinda brings the "hit home" or "puts it into perspective" factors for me seeing something like that.

RogerinTPA
01-11-13, 16:43

I've shot two deer in the neck with the .223 using poly tipped bulles as well, and like you, the deer dropped in their spot. but there was no exit and basically no blood so if they did run... tracking would be hard.

What was the distances on the deer when taking these shots?

xjustintimex
01-11-13, 16:50
75 and about 125 for the second. I'm not sure I would play further than that from the results that I saw, dropped deer or not, I felt the results were not very inspiring unless the shot hits the central nervous system. I did however shoot a deer using the barnes bullets which I was more than overly impressed with and would definitely feel comfortable using.

What was the distances on the deer when taking these shots?