PDA

View Full Version : How diverse is your collection?

sapper36
02-26-08, 12:47
And how do you decide to buy a new handgun? Reason I ask is that I am a 1911 guy. Always had them and love them. As of right now I have 2 Kimbers and a Springfield. The only other pistols I have are .22's that are mainly for teaching the kids how to use them. I keep reading about the M&P and Glocks out there and I just caint justify buying one, becuase what I have works and I like it. The next one I buy will probablly be a 38 wheel gun because I dont have to worry about magazines and they are great to have around the house. So what do have and why? Thanks.

mark5pt56
02-26-08, 12:57
I'm a Glock guy, all 9mm. My duty gun is a G17, normally carry a G26 off duty. Although I can shoot any platform well, I concentrate on the Glock 17/26. Anything else is just for fun and collection. .22 revolvers and auto's are fun to shoot, can be cheap. Concerning the .38, I would get a like size .357 first, that way you can choose between the calibers if you wish, especially when the kids learn to shoot them.

markm
02-26-08, 13:18
Not very diverse. I like staying on the beaten path when it comes to my handguns and rifles.

Storage space for mags and ammo to support any platform is limited. I keep 2 1911s and 3 glocks. The 1911s are for recreational shooting, and the glocks are for carry/defense.

Having a big handgun collection just doesn't make sense for me.

bspring
02-26-08, 13:19
I like different varitions, have:

HK USP .45 expert
HK USP .9mm
HK USP.40 converted to 10mm
HK P7
CZ sp01 tactical
Para Ord P-14
SA XD .45
Glock 20
Sig p226
Beretta 92
Walther P99
Luger
P-38

Striker5
02-26-08, 13:22
I am de-diversifying. I have sold off many guns for a few better ones. I'm not there yet but I want to go w/ my Glock 17 as a primary gun, get another one for redundancy. I am keeping my BHP Mk III and my 1991A1 as bases for custom builds some time in the future. I want a J-frame Smith for a BUG and a Bisley Vaquero for outdoorsy stuff. I am keeping my two Ruger .22's (MkII and Single Six). Everything else is gone or on its way out.

Palmguy
02-26-08, 13:27
Somewhere between not very and moderately diverse...

HK45C
XD9 Service
XD45 Compact
Kahr MK9
Walther P22

By the end of the year, adding a Springer or Kimber stainless 1911 in .45 and a G19.

kihnspiracy
02-26-08, 13:54
1911's and Glocks. .22's for cheap practice.

DM-SC
02-26-08, 14:43
I rarely buy a gun to "just have it". They all were purchased with a specific purpose in mind. Concealed carry, Home Defense, pistol matches, or plinking.

As for deciding what to buy, unless you can spend some quality time with a particular gun or you own one like it already, it's a leap of faith of sorts. I've had guns that felt fine after fondling them at a store but, they just didn't work out after I bought one and actually shot it.

The Browning HP is one such gun. I love the way they feel in my hand, they point just fine and, are just plain good looking, IMHO. I don't own a single one any longer! No since in owning a gun that's a single or maybe double shot before I have to release the slide...after my thumb locks the slide back. :(

Striker5 mentioned redundancy. It's nice to own multiples of some guns. This is especially true of HD and concealed carry guns. If you have to use them to shoot a BG, the police will take it for a while.

demigod mentioned another thing that influences my purchases...storage space. It's less costly to add a gun that you already own mags, holsters and ammo for. ;)

Trim2L
02-26-08, 14:53
Not diverse. My guns are all shooters purchased for certain purposes; concealed carry (cold, warm, or hot weather), field use, or Competition. When one gun isn't working out or is not being used it gets moved out so something can take its place. I have no desire to keep guns I can't, or won't, shoot. There are much better investments outside of firearms.

FlyAndFight
02-26-08, 14:54
With the exception of "one" handgun, every firearm I have purchased has been purchased for a specific purpose as well. There was that one handgun that I was simply made an offer that I couldn't refuse... ;)

markm
02-26-08, 15:07
demigod mentioned another thing that influences my purchases...storage space. It's less costly to add a gun that you already own mags, holsters and ammo for. ;)

That's why I don't run a .308, or an AK. It'd be a whole other set of ammo cans, mags, etc.

Good point on the holsters too. That's the beauty of the glock system.... much less hosters to buy and store.

John_Wayne777
02-26-08, 15:14
I've accumulated a number of pistols seeking the best weapon for serious social purposes. About half of my handguns were purchased in the search for the ideal defensive handgun, or for self defense against 4 legged predators.

The other half I have bought for fun and merriment.

RD62
02-26-08, 15:50
Right now just two. A Springer 1911 Gov't model and a G27. The G27 was back-up/off-duty when I was with my former Dept. It's an ankle gun now.

I do want to add a few though. I want a high cap .45, probably a M&P. May swap the G27 for a G26 and pick up a 17. And I want a S&W 325 and a .38 snubby of some flavor.

-RD62

DocGKR
02-26-08, 18:29
I once had a vast, diverse reference collection of service pistols and revolvers in multiple calibers for testing and familiarization.

I have sold almost all of them.

At this point I only use:
.38 sp J-frames for BUG use
9 mm out of the box G19/17's for cheap, reliable, ubiquitous handguns
.45 ACP customized 1911's as I shoot these better than any other handgun
.44 Mag 629 for wilderness carry

I am planning on getting a couple of .40 S&W M&P's when the ambi-safety models become available.

Also, I always purchase two of any firearm for serious use in order to have one for training and one for carry/duty.

kaltblitz
02-26-08, 18:47
I'm another one of the guys trying to de-diversify my collection.

As of right now I still have:

For Work:
-Glock 21 - Duty gun
-Glock 27 - Backup gun
-Sig 228 - Plainclothes carry at work
-S&W 442 w/CTC grips - CCW

For Fun:
-Two customized Colt 1911's
-Browning Hi Power
-Beretta 92 and a 96
-S&W 686+
-P-38
-P-08 Luger

I'm issued a M&P40 and I'm just not thrilled with it. Due to the rising cost of ammo I think I'm going to switch completely over to 9mm Glocks in the near future for work. I also want to pick up a nice 22LR handgun.

Navy87Guy
02-26-08, 19:01
Currently have:
Beretta PX4 Storm, 92G Vertec, M9, Billennium
CZ SP-01
Ruger KP93
KelTec P32
Rock Island 1911
Navy Colt M1911
Colt Woodsman .22 LR

Have had (and sold):
Ruger GP100, KP-89D
Glock 17, 21
Walther P99AS, P99C AS
Steyr M9
CZ 75BD, 97B
Sig P228

I buy guns that look interesting and might have a purpose for me (carry, home defense or competition shooting). If they don't work out then they end up finding a new home. The only exceptions are the Beretta M9 and the Billennium -- which have sentimental (M9) and collector (Billy) value.

Next on my list is probably an M&P 9C. I currently carry the PX4 and my son shoots it in USPSA, so it's a keeper. Besides, my wife likes it best for home defense.

Jim

Rembrandt
02-26-08, 19:06
Pretty diverse.....ranges from target specific models, snubbies, big bore autos, hunting handguns, rare low production models, to engraved collectibles. No plastic guns, just steel and wood. More interested in quality pieces that are considered proven classic designs.

Rule of thumb is to buy high quality, low production numbers, classic designed actions....and always pay more for guns of exceptional condition....because in the long run it'll be worth it.

QuickStrike
02-26-08, 19:30
Let's see...

3 1911's
1 M&P
1 ruger snubby

Maybe a glock 19 or 9mm M&P in the future. Not very diverse, but I'm not going for that.

I still need a bigger revolver for 4 legged critters.

Don Robison
02-26-08, 20:02
Pistols are primarily Glocks 17/19/21SF 2 each and 1911s X 6 with a FM Hi Power and Ruger MKII thrown in

Revolvers are primarily L and J frame S&W with a Security Six, a couple of Redhwks and a Blackhawk thrown in

Long guns are all over the place but ARs make a good showing.

HolyRoller
02-26-08, 20:33
For serous use, I'm down to:

.223 S&W M&P-15 with Short Dot
.45 Springfield TRP 1911, on duty and off
.38 S&W 637 for backup

Pretty soon I'll have to take an issued SIG 220 DAK for on duty. I just don't have the training time to get proficient with anything more.

I have a custom 1911 and a Walther GSP for bullseye competition, and a match AR for highpower.

I have a Remington 700P LTR .308 that I'll start to use for long-range competition, and to take to LE sniper school in a few months, if the chief doesn't cancel my enrollment in sniper school like he did four months ago, which would be four months before yesterday's active shooter incident where we really rather could have used a scout sniper.

IrishDevil
02-26-08, 21:11
I've gone through phases, picking up everything I could, to selling off everything but what I felt essential. At one time I only owned 40 S&W pistols, another phase only 45's. I've currently trimmed my collection down rather substantially, and plan to go further. I've sold 3 M&P's recently getting ready for the newer thumb safety models coming out. I've abandoned XD's altogether now, for M&P's and Glocks.

Glocks are the current mainstay: 34(2), 35(1), 17(2), 19(2), 21SF(1).
Others are:
M&P 45 w/safety
Sig 226, Sig 220
CZ SP01
Kimber TLE/RL
Colt XSE (future project gun)
and a few others I'm forgetting(the reason I'm trimming!)

LOKNLOD
02-26-08, 21:28
I'm pretty limited. G34 and G17, and a G17 for my wife. Fact is, I just can't afford to be more diverse. There are so many cool/interesting/fun pistols out there that I would love to own but right now my needs are covered so I'm satisfied. I might get a G26 eventually to fill that niche.

RogerinTPA
02-26-08, 22:05
S&W 6906 9mm, M&P9c, M&P45
Barretta PX4 Storm .40
Glock 23
CZ82 in 9x18 Makarov

Looking to get a Glock 19 soon.

sapper36
02-26-08, 22:06
Wow, some of you guys should be class's with all of the different types. I am jealous, but the budget just wont let me get the "wants". Thanks for the respones:)

Tspeis
02-26-08, 22:06
My collection consists of:
- Sig P229R .357 SIG.
That's it.

Pretty diverse, huh? :D I definitely plan on adding several more once I have some spare change. On the wish list is a S&W M&P45 midsize, Sig P250 fullsize .45ACP, Wilson Combat 1911 of some type (don't know which model yet), and a Glock 19.

Tspeis

srfl
02-26-08, 23:18
My collection is extremely diverse (including nine Steyr M and S-series guns)....mostly in the way of handguns; funny thing is I can only carry what my agency issued me on or off-duty. So, my other guns are for "fun" or home defense.

ToddG
02-27-08, 00:25
I hate buying new guns. It's money that could be better spent on ammo and training. The only time I'll buy a new gun is if there is something I have a legitimate need for, but can't cover with my existing "inventory."

I'm happy to sell a gun I'm not using. Most of my early firearms training was funded by selling off "cool" guns and focusing on learning to shoot.

I do have a few exceptions. I worked on a program at Beretta that raised $100,000 for victims of 9/11, and bought one of the guns myself. I worked on a program at SIG that raised $100,000 for the Special Operations Warrior Foundation, and I bought one of the guns for myself. I've got a P229R DAK that I received as a gift from SIG for winning a big contract (it was the very first pistol off the line for delivery to ICE). I'll probably never put a single round through any of them, but they're all significant to me on a personal level and I won't sell them.

Unless I really need ammo. :cool:

STS
02-27-08, 00:57
Its always been a Glock 19 and a couple 1911's.............but thanks to all of YOU I just broke down and bought a M&P.