PDA

View Full Version : Red Wing Boots?

KrampusArms
01-01-13, 23:36
Red Wing Boots, are they worth the coin?

All my life I have always purchased shoes in the $80 or under range. Being at work on my feet all day, I realise I want something a bit higher end.

I've purchased too many ill fitting pairs of boots now, I'm just curious what the M4C collective has to chime in with. Are Red Wings really that great?

Honu
01-01-13, 23:52
not sure these days way back some 30 years ago when I was in the FD those were the brand we had they were super comfy the soles wore out kinda quick but were nice non slip steel toe some special FD model we had to ask for
mostly medic runs and stuff with them daily things but being on a 24 hour shift and about 16 hours on your feet in your boots I never had foot pain or ever felt spots rub etc.. and the only steel toe boots I ever had that were comfy !!! actually as comfy as tennis shoes easily

not sure that helps but often wondered if they still make those models kinda tall with a zipper lace thing would not mind a pair again :)

RancidSumo
01-02-13, 00:33
One summer I wore a pair of Red Wing steel toes every day for 12+ hours a day out in the mud and dust. I put a pair of insoles in them but other than that they were great (or as great as a steel toe boot can be). They were worth every penny. The ones I have are still in great shape so I can use them again when I need to but when they finally wear out I'd definitely pick up another pair.

I'm a firm believer in spending the money for quality footwear. Whether it is a pair of Red Wing work boots or Allen Edmonds dress/casual shoes, your feet and back will feel so much better. It also doesn't hurt that they last forever so that couple hundred now will pay off when you don't have to replace your boots or shoes every few months.

AKDoug
01-02-13, 00:58
Three years on my last set of steel toed work boots. Make sure you get the made in USA models. I just got a new pair and they feel just as good.

Sent from my iPhone on tapatalk

montanadave
01-02-13, 06:04
In a word, yes.

ICANHITHIMMAN
01-02-13, 07:27
I'm going against the group and saying NO. They are pretty much the exclusive boot for walking steel. I have owned 2 pairs of them and both times the stitching has come out of the toe, I had them repaired free of course but it just happened again. I ended up buying my owns stuff and stitching them up. For 250$ I don't expect them to come apart so fast. The Diehards cost 80 and they a ten times the boot for my application.

Nightvisionary
01-02-13, 07:32
I had a pair of Chinese steel toe Red Wings. Those things were torture on my feet. Oregon made Danners are the most durable and comfortable boots I have ever owned.

lethal dose
01-02-13, 07:45
USA RWs, yes. Overseas, not so much.

montanadave
01-02-13, 08:00
I should clarify my earlier comment supporting Red Wings. The Red Wings I have paid top dollar for were 9" Logger steel-toe boots. I wore them when working on drilling rigs. On your feet all day, up and down steps but not a lot of walking. They held up well when properly cared for (cleaned regularly and re-oiled). They are HEAVY.

I also have had a couple of pairs of 6" boots which wore pretty well and were comfortable for general landscaping and construction work. And I have a pair of Red Wing wellington boots that I have worn for almost 20 years (resoled once, IIRC). I have purchased my boots at a local Red Wing store where the owner has treated me well and stood behind his product. That's another plus in my book.

Some friends that have worked in the logging/forestry industry absolutely swear by White's Boots but they are spendy as well.

My Danner hunting boots are decent but I have not been thrilled with their comfort after a day of hiking in the hills.

Guys tend to be pretty brand loyal with boots and when they find a good fit, they stick with that brand. Unfortunately, feet come in a lot of different sizes and shapes and so do the bodies standing on them. A brand that fits well for one guy may not work worth a shit for someone else.

But quality costs money, regardless of the brand. Try on multiple brands before you make a decision and consider what kind of wear you're going to put on the boot. I've ruined a pair of boots in month by crawling around setting/fitting flagstone and pavers. The abrasion just ate holes through the uppers. Wearing expensive boots for that kind of work is a waste, in my opinion. Roofing also tears the shit out of boots in a hurry.

Asking for advice on boots is a lot like asking for advice on guns. What are you willing to spend? What is your intended use? :)

nineteenkilo
01-02-13, 10:18
I have worn a couple of pair of USA Redwings over the years. My observations are that, for my purposes, they were great boots and worth the $. They were also had a miserably long break-in period and the soles didn't last as long as I'd hoped. They were easy and cheap to have re-soled and the uppers made it through about 3 soles before they were kaput.

I have since switched to Georgia boots now as they seem to be the best bang for the buck in the boot world at the moment. I don't know if you can get them in your area or not. They are durable and comfortable with a fairly low break-in period.

Lastly, I have also had great luck with Wolverine Durashocks in the paast. They are far from the Redwings and Georgia boots in durability, but they are supremely comfortable and their lower cost reflects the ability to replace them.

I should note that all of my boots have been the Wellington style pull-ons. My logger style hunting boots are Lacrosse and they are, without a shadow of a doubt, the best hunting boots I've ever owned.

Hmac
01-02-13, 13:47
I've lived in Minnesota most of my life, had never been through the town of Red Wing until a couple of weeks ago. Quite a nice little town. Some unbelievable deals on boots and apparel at their factory store and did the obligatory photo next the the World's Largest Boot. The lady told me with pride that it would be way too big even for Paul Bunyan :).

http://SSEquine.net/redwingboot.JPG

I own a pair of Danners myself.

/

Belmont31R
01-02-13, 14:14
Different companies use different lasts which are how the footbed and general shape of the boot is decided.

Danner fit me fine as they tend to be a little bit narrow (I have narrow feet) and don't have a huge arch thing on the footbed. I've tried Red Wing's on, and the toe box was way too big for my feet. My foot would slide around that causes blisters. My only beef with Danner for my uses is they tend to be hot, and on the heavier side. A lot of boots fit that category though...I live in Texas and those types of boots (loggers and such) suck when its 100+ 3-4 months out of the year.

So try to find a store that sells a few brands and see what fits your foot the best. That should be the deciding factor first, and make sure you don't buy the imported (cheaper versions). The imported versions are probably fine for around the house work for an average homeowner they're not something someone who uses the boots for a living will get durability out of. I do have a pair of imported Danner's, and some US made one's as well. The US made versions are made much better with better materials.

If you have an unusual shaped foot or just want a custom fit check out Whites. They do sell some versions off the shelf but offer a custom fit service as well. If I worked in boots like that for a living that is what I would get. A good buddy has a couple of pairs and they are even better made and more robust than Danner or Red Wing.

SkiDevil
01-02-13, 18:06
I had a pair of Chinese steel toe Red Wings. Those things were torture on my feet. Oregon made Danners are the most durable and comfortable boots I have ever owned.

The Danner USA boots are some of the best made. I would also add that Thorogood, and Altima boots are well (USA) made and durable.

I would try-out a few different brands and see what feels best to your feet.

Only problem which could arise is that many of the higher-end boots can be harder to find because many people don't want to spend the money. I would check with the local uniform stores or 'boot barn' type stores who specialize in selling boots.

p.s. There was a thread on here sometime ago about boots. It might be worth looking for it.

ST911
01-02-13, 20:14
I've had several pairs of Red Wing boots over the years, a couple from the factory outlet while there. You can order custom fits and tweaks, and local stores are pretty helpful. Service is excellent when repair is needed. When one pair couldn't be repaired any longer, they replaced them for free far beyond their obligation to do so.

Suwannee Tim
01-02-13, 21:14
Since the Doc Martens are now made in China not England, Red Wings are all I will wear. Model number 2240 (http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/2240-red-wing-shoes/2240-red-wing-mens-6-inch-boot-brown) is light, comfortable and reasonably priced. They are so comfortable I wear them on hikes of several miles. Beware, if you buy a steel toe shoe they must be large enough. You can wear a steel toe shoe that is a bit too large but steel toe shoes that have too small a toe box will kill your feet. The width of the shoe must match your foot for best fit. My feet are wide at the toes, I require a boot with a large toe box. Most boots in the store will not fit me properly, if I get a boot with a large enough toe box the length is way too long. You need to try on as many pair as necessary till you find something that fits well. Another thing you want to look for is the hooks that engage the laces at the top of the boot. Many models have hooks made of stamped sheet metal that are easily crushed. You bend them out then crush them again a few times and they break off. The 2240 and others have a cast hook that can't be bent.

........They were also had a miserably long break-in period.......

It ain't the boots getting broke in, it's your feet. If the boots are not comfortable in the store don't buy them. If they are not comfortable as you try them out, wearing them around the house to keep them new, take them back.

AKDoug
01-03-13, 01:56
I wear the 3507's. They actually do take a bit to break in. Usually 3 days for me. I wear them truck driving and working on concrete floors. Very comfortable and slip resistant, even on ice.

Suwannee Tim
01-03-13, 04:12
I was addressing the miserable and long break in period. How would you characterize the comfort during the three day break in Doug? The 3507s are not steel or composite toe. The toe box fit is not quite as critical as steel or composite toe.

EzGoingKev
01-17-13, 03:40
I have a pair of Red Wings and do not find them to be all that comfortable.

While they are decent quality I find them to be the most overrated boot out there.

samuse
01-17-13, 09:06
I have a pair of Red Wings and do not find them to be all that comfortable.

While they are decent quality I find them to be the most overrated boot out there.

Red Wings are the most unusually made boots I've ever seen and I'm not sure that they really fit anyone properly. I'm kind of a boot guy and I work in construction. Pretty much everyone I see in Red Wings are wearing ill-fitting boots.

The ankle/heel measurements run about two sizes larger than the vamp/toe size.

If you have really big calves, ankles and heels and a fairly narrow forefoot, Red Wings should fit fine.

If you're built like a human, then they'll more than likely suck.