PDA

View Full Version : Seeking opinions M&P 9 vs9c

Caduceus
01-03-13, 04:52
Hi everyone,
Thinking of picking up a second pistol. Currently I own an older Sig P229. It fills the role of nightstand and CCW (when I do, which is rare, but I've got a better holster on the way). Size wise, I'm only 5'8" and to date most full size pistols feel a bit large (I love my friend's Sig P226 though, and shoot expert consistently with the M9 on both Army and Navy courses). The Sig P229 with original rubber grips fit's perfectly; the E2 grips I'm still getting used to.

Can't decide between the M&P 9 or the 9c. Pretty much this will fill the same role - nightstand and/or CCW.

I range shoot usually once every week or 2. I prefer the 9mm due to price, though my Sig has barrels for .40 and .357SIG.

My thoughts:
the full size has better carrying capacity. Harder to conceal. Probably slightly better accuracy. I shot it and didn't really like the ergonomics, but not sure if it was partly the backstrap. Also didn't like how far forward the controls were (ie, mag release). I only put 3 mags (51 rounds) through it, and wasn't super impressed with accuracy at 10m ... but again, that was my first time shooting it.

I haven't had the chance to handle the 9c. Capacity is same as the P229. Slightly smaller/lighter overall, so maybe better for CCW. Obviously lose the extra rounds, but I understand the full size mag will work. Anyone know if the controls are set up the same as the full size?

Any thoughts from members on which to buy? Price is close enough that I'm not put off by it.

Redbeardsong
01-03-13, 05:28
For carry, I'd go with the M&P9c. I've been comfortably carrying a Ruger SR9c (which is practically identical in size to the M&P9c) for the last couple years and just started carrying a full size M&P9. The M&P9 FS is noticeably heavier and less comfortable to carry, and the longer grip is difficult to conceal, as it sticks out and my shirt rides up every time I bend.

turbo38gn
01-03-13, 06:06
I'd recommend the 9c per your post. I have both FS and C's in 9mm and 40sw, In the end I carried my 40c and loved it, until I picked up my 9 Shield. The compacts shoot great and conceal well. If you liked your Sig with multiple barrels then you may want the MP40c since you can purchase 9mm and the 357sig barrel to go with it. You can also use a FS magazine if you like the longer grip.

jstalford
01-03-13, 07:49
If you're going to carry it, I would get the 9c. Maybe get the x-grip and some 17 round mags if you like the extra capacity so at least you have the option.

sapper36
01-03-13, 07:59
I have both and for some reason I have a much better time shooting the full size. The compact seems to jump around and I find that I have to re-establish a good grip with it. I did just hit it with some strippling to see if that would help. Our size is different as I am 6'2" with long arms and large hands.

For carry as others have stated the smaller and lighter the better, to a point. I think the best route is to find both of them and spend some range time to make an informed dicision, good luck

Grizzly16
01-03-13, 08:03
I've got both and prefer the full size. Appendix carry makes it stupid simple to conceal with a good holster.

Other than grip length and barrel length the controls are in the same place.

tibis3383
01-03-13, 09:07
For carry I would say that the 9c would be your best choice. I carry the Fullsize no problem but I am an oaf at 6'4" and find the grip of the 9c too small to enjoy at the range. If the grip of the 9c is comfortable for you then it would be the one to get.

Tim

Sry0fcr
01-03-13, 09:14
I went from the compact to the full size because I only really ever used the magazine with the pinky extension and truth be told there wasn't that much of a difference in concealability but I'm running a pretty radical 30 degree cant positioned at 4:30/5:00 YMMV. Plus recoil control is much more manageable with the fullsize so I can shoot it more accurately faster within 10yds and I got to add 6 more rounds to the gun which I used as partial justification to drop carrying the reload (personal decision, you don't have to agree with it).

Beat Trash
01-03-13, 09:15
I own both, and have carried both since they were first introduced.

It really depends on your body size and build. Appendix carry enables one to conceal the full size easier. But I've been carrying at 3:30-4:00 for almost 30 years, just can't warm up to the concept of changing at this point.

For just shooting, I prefer the full size. But the grip size of the full size is just enough bigger that I carry the 9c when carrying concealed.

As a side note, I carried a Glock 19 concealed for just over 12 years, no issue. The grip of the full size M&P is just a bit too big for my method of carry and body size/shape.

Beat Trash
01-03-13, 09:16
I went from the compact to the full size because I only really ever used the magazine with the pinky extension and truth be told there wasn't that much of a difference in concealability but I'm running a pretty radical 30 degree cant positioned at 4:30/5:00 YMMV. Plus recoil control is much more manageable with the fullsize so I can shoot it more accurately faster within 10yds and I got to add 6 more rounds to the gun which I used as partial justification to drop carrying the reload (personal decision, you don't have to agree with it).

What type of holster are you using?

ericridebike
01-03-13, 09:21
If it will be primarily a concealed carry gun, I would definitely go with the 9c. If you predict lots of range time or possibly competition such as IDPA , I would go with the full size. I have a 9c, full size, and 5" Pro & love them all. The small sized back strap may work best for you in either.

Jdbl14
01-03-13, 09:26
I have a 9c and some full size mags for it. I love how small it is. Even with the "pinky-rest" magazine it is very easy to conceal. That said, I plan on picking up a full sized 9 down the road, but that's mostly because I want another range toy. I have been looking at getting some Apex trigger upgrades and maybe a good threaded barrel with some higher sights. If I go this route I will probably get another 9c and forget about the full size 9.

I wandered off topic there a bit. Get the 9c it is a very nice, easily concealed pistol.

Shorts
01-03-13, 09:37
OP, your situation sounds very familiar to me. My husband is doing exactly what you're considering. He's 5'9" and daily carries a MP9c in one of my holsters @ IWB strong side ~3:30 (I build). It virtually disappears. He has carried 1911s before and he has worked his way down to the 9c and a Sig P238 pocket. Which one depends on the day, activity & clothing. Also, each one is a night stand gun. It would be weird to not see that lump of S&W or Sig on the night stand.

My suggestion for your consideration, go with the MP9c since you already have a fullsize 9mm in your Sig 229. The capacity on the 9c is very good. It runs on a variety of FMJs and JHPs. Concealability (word?) is top notch. Handling is easy (consider the mag with the pinky extension for more comfort. My husband has medium size hands and he likes the extension). The trigger pull gets better with use. When the gun was new (3yrs ago) the trigger felt slightly gritty and heavy. I didn't like shooting it. However now that the round count is up and the trigger has been worked in it is much smoother and more pleasant of a pull to shoot.

Obviously, shoot both that you are considering. Both guns have a good reputation. Do what works for you.

Sry0fcr
01-03-13, 09:52
What type of holster are you using?

Secret City Weaponeers K25 adjusted for a little more cant by moving the rearmost loop down a hole. Great holster but I don't know if he's worked out his business issues yet. I'm 5'6" 170 lbs FWIW.

Shorts
01-03-13, 10:19
I took the liberty of taking a few pictures for side by side comparison of the MP9 and MP9c. Note, these are without the external safety.

MP9 (top), 9c (bottom)
http://imageshack.us/a/img703/7135/sw2lw.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img842/7816/sw1yd.jpg

MP9 (left), 9c (right)
http://imageshack.us/a/img849/9564/sw4z.jpg

9c, no pinky ext mag (left), 9c pinky ext (right)
http://imageshack.us/a/img210/552/sw3d.jpg

RBid
01-03-13, 11:31
The 9c gives you the better all-purpose pick up. I've been using a Ruger SR9c as my light-clothing CCW, and it conceals effortlessly at a slightly larger size than the M&P 9c.

I have trigger time on the M&P 9c, and found that I was immediately accurate with it at 50 feet. I would be about as confident carrying one as I would be with most duty pistols. I shoot the full size a little better, but it's only really noticeable for me if I stretch range a bit.

If I could only own a single handgun, it would be an SR9c or M&P 9c, simply because they are flexible enough to cover light clothing carry or duty use.

RogerinTPA
01-03-13, 12:07
I have both. The 9 is my primary training gun. The controls are identical. I've also carried the 9c in an Mtac holster here in FL for the past few years. It's equipped with a CT laser grip, Heine Ledge Straight Eight night sights, Apex hard sear and ultimate striker block. I carry it with a flat based mag, and a full sized 17 rd mag with an X-grip as a spare. It is more accurate than my full size 9. To date, it has over 12K rounds fired and it has always been a little tack driver.

Caduceus
01-03-13, 14:44
Thanks all for the insight. Special thanks to Shorts for the great photo's - it helps put it in perspective, since I've only seen/handled the full size. it's one thing to read the measurements at the S&W website, another to see the relative sizes.

Seems like most of you are in agreement about the compact. I've been leaning that way, so glad to see the consensus is similar. I still worry a bit about the controls, but some training can overcome that.

I didn't realize I could get extra barrels with this pistol too. Might change my mind and get a .40, with a 9mm barrel. Something to research tonight.

Jdbl14
01-03-13, 14:52
I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this. I understand how a .40 can take .357 sig barrel , how does this work with 9mm? Wouldn't the breech face on the slide be too wide? Will the extractor function correctly? Do 9mm magazines have the same external dimensions?

Edited/added to:
Or am I just reading things wrong and you would need a 9mm slide for this to work?

ra2bach
01-03-13, 15:27
Hi everyone,
Thinking of picking up a second pistol. Currently I own an older Sig P229. It fills the role of nightstand and CCW (when I do, which is rare, but I've got a better holster on the way). Size wise, I'm only 5'8" and to date most full size pistols feel a bit large (I love my friend's Sig P226 though, and shoot expert consistently with the M9 on both Army and Navy courses). The Sig P229 with original rubber grips fit's perfectly; the E2 grips I'm still getting used to.

Can't decide between the M&P 9 or the 9c. Pretty much this will fill the same role - nightstand and/or CCW.

I range shoot usually once every week or 2. I prefer the 9mm due to price, though my Sig has barrels for .40 and .357SIG.

My thoughts:
the full size has better carrying capacity. Harder to conceal. Probably slightly better accuracy. I shot it and didn't really like the ergonomics, but not sure if it was partly the backstrap. Also didn't like how far forward the controls were (ie, mag release). I only put 3 mags (51 rounds) through it, and wasn't super impressed with accuracy at 10m ... but again, that was my first time shooting it.

I haven't had the chance to handle the 9c. Capacity is same as the P229. Slightly smaller/lighter overall, so maybe better for CCW. Obviously lose the extra rounds, but I understand the full size mag will work. Anyone know if the controls are set up the same as the full size?

Any thoughts from members on which to buy? Price is close enough that I'm not put off by it.

I have all the pistols you mention - 226/9, 229/357SIG, M&P9 FS, 9c, as well as the 228 (identical in size to the 229) and the Shield9 and I can tell you it is a matter of degrees of your needs and application.

However, since the 229 you already own is considered a "compact", I would suggest that you should have a service or full size pistol if you don't already have one - either the M&P FS or the 226 you already like. the M&P9 FS is very close in size to the 226, has 17 vs 18 capacity, and the grip is a little slimmer, depending on the grip insert you choose.

aligning the barrels at the ejection ports, the M&P9 FS is about 3/8" longer in the barrel but only about 1/4" taller than the 229 with a 17rd. vs 12 rd. capacity, caliber issues aside... (228 in 9mm is identical in size to the 229/.40/357SIG but has 15 rd mags)

comparing the 229 and the 9c, the 229 is only about 1/4" longer than the 9c but the grip is about 3/4" longer with the same 12rd. capacity mags. this might be an issue if deep concealment is your primary concern but I carry the 229 everyday IWB at 3:30 and it disappears under a light shirt.

however, I don't shoot the 9c well with the flush magazines without the pinky extension so I use Mecgar +2 baseplates. this gives the 9c the added benefit of a 14 rd capacity but then makes it practically the same size as the 229/228 and also the Glock 19.

Mecgar +2 baseplates can fit both M&P and SIG mags giving the M&P9 FS mags 19 rds. and 20rd on the 226

cheapsandwich
01-03-13, 16:39
One more for the 9c, its just more versatile for me. When I made the switch from .40 to 9 I traded in a 40c and a 40 FS (still my all time favorite gun to shoot) I ended up getting 2 9c's because they will fill more roles for me.
With a full size magazine I have the same capacity as a full size and still a decent sight radius (about a 1/4 inch less than a G19) The rear sights on the compact also have a near 90 degree angle that you can use for one handed manipulations. All the normal FS I've seen have had ramped sights,not a big deal if you change them out but it's worth noting.

forumsurfer
01-03-13, 17:17
M&p 9c...a new one. The new triggers are great. If it were me, I'd need to add warren tactical sights as those are my favorites.

Pick up the mags for the standard m&p while you can. Normal mags for carry, extra capacity mags for reload/range use. Some people insist on mag adapters, but they aren't needed. I shoot just as well with or without them.

After you get used to how light it is, you'll find yourself reaching to carry it more often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doc. Holiday
01-03-13, 17:22
I would go with the full size imho. I have shot and concealed both and to be honest, even the full size doesn't even feel like it's there. Both are awesome guns so, whatever you choose it's going to be a good choice.

Doc. Holiday
01-03-13, 17:23
M&p 9c...a new one. The new triggers are great. If it were me, I'd need to add warren tactical sights as those are my favorites.

Pick up the mags for the standard m&p while you can. Normal mags for carry, extra capacity mags for reload/range use. Some people insist on mag adapters, but they aren't needed. I shoot just as well with or without them.

After you get used to how light it is, you'll find yourself reaching to carry it more often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 Make sure it is the newer one. My buddy's 9c had the worst false reset on the trigger. It drove us nutz!

habibi
01-03-13, 18:56
I currently own a 9mm FS and a .40c for CCW. I carry the compact in a Galco inside the waistband holster and its a lot more comfortable to carry than the FS. I carry it fairly regular and at times I forget I even have it on as where the FS would let me know it was there when I would bend over to pick something up. Don't get me wrong the 9mm is awesome and I enjoy shooting it and soon I plan on getting in to competition shooting and I know that the 9mm will be the better due to the longer barrel and cheaper ammo. Good luck with your decision and I know you will be happy with either choice.

Caduceus
01-04-13, 06:12
So of course, the correct answer is "buy both."

I definitely like the idea of the compact w/ a full size spare mag. I'll try and hit up my LGS and man-handle both this weekend before making up my mind.

Shorts
01-04-13, 08:54
Thanks all for the insight. Special thanks to Shorts for the great photo's - it helps put it in perspective, since I've only seen/handled the full size. it's one thing to read the measurements at the S&W website, another to see the relative sizes.

You're welcome. Good luck and happy shopping.

Tomac
01-06-13, 15:16
I've owned both and now own only the 9c which serves both nightstand and CCW duty. I shoot the 9c as well as the FS and I don't feel there's enough difference in capacity to warrant the increased difficulty/discomfort of carrying the FS for my needs (YMMV).
Tomac

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/Tomac/RotationofResizeofSWMP9Compacts002.jpg

malstew123
01-06-13, 17:58
I own both and would suggest the 9c. I would also look into a full size mag with the x grip as previously suggested for a back up mag. I don't care for the magazine without the pinky extension but with training this of course is something that can fixed. Either way, fs or compact, both are easily concealed IMO. As for shooting, I shoot both about the same, maybe a slight edge to the fs.

SunTzu
01-06-13, 19:09

My thoughts:

Of the two I would go with the 9c based on using it for CCW and because it is smaller. I would definitely try to rent one from a range and shoot it prior to purchasing if you experienced that much displeasure from the location of the controls. If you don't like it I'd put the money into another platform if there aren't any other controlling factors.

ROBZ71LM7
01-07-13, 19:11
I have both. I prefer the full size model when practicable due to better grip, easier draw, and easier mag changes. However, if only one I'd choose the compact. With the X-grip it's nearly as good as the full size for me and has added versatility when you cannot conceal I don't have large hands, but even with the pinky extension on the compact magazine, 3 fingers just barely fit.

Guinnessman
01-07-13, 21:21
I picked up a M&Pc 9mm a couple of months ago and have only put around 300 rounds down the pipe. So far it is a great little gun, and I look forward to carrying it this summer. It is a late model, and the trigger is not bad considering all the horror stories of the past. After a couple more months of shooting we will know the final verdict. I am a hard core Glock guy and the M&P has impressed me so far.

rdmega
01-08-13, 09:21
Another vote for the C. If you only have one the compact makes more sense to me, you can always run full size mags in the compact.