PDA

View Full Version : ESS ICE Rx Kit....

JLM
02-26-08, 18:40
Do any of guys have any experience using the Rx kit from ESS? I was looking at their website today and noticed that they offer both a wireframe rx insert as well as a plastic one, and was wondering what the pro's/con's to each of them was.

Don Robison
02-26-08, 18:53
Do any of guys have any experience using the Rx kit from ESS? I was looking at their website today and noticed that they offer both a wireframe rx insert as well as a plastic one, and was wondering what the pro's/con's to each of them was.

I was issued a plastic frame kit. I just bought a pair of ESS Ice glasses for it last week. I haven't been able to use them very hard yet, but my initial impressions are they are comfortable though slighly heavier than my "normal" eyeglasses. I had seen them advertised, but was hesitant to order them on my dime and find out they sucked. I actually wish I would have bought them last year when I saw them instead of waiting for Uncle Sugar to decide I needed them.

Pro: They look like normal sunglasses/tinted eye protection.

Con: With the clear lense you look like a bigger dork than if you were just wearing gas mask inserts.
They can be a pain in the butt to clean because you have to take the insert out to clean it.

JLM
02-26-08, 19:28
Thank you sir!

It looks like the lens shape is different between the nylon and the wire insert. How's the FOV on yours?

Don Robison
02-26-08, 19:32
Thank you sir!

It looks like the lens shape is different between the nylon and the wire insert. How's the FOV on yours?

FOV is good, I can't see around or under the lenses. Since they are molded into and a part of the nose piece for the sunglasses they sit pretty close to your face.

sproc
02-27-08, 18:40
I have the wire-framed ones. The FOV seems fine. Kinda ugly. I occasionally knock them out of the ICE frame, possibly because they sit rather low and can be bumped by your cheek. I am inclined to switch to the plastic-framed ones, which appear to sit higher.

I definitely regret not getting an anti-reflective coating on my lenses and have been suffering from a hall-of-mirrors effect between the rx lenses and the ICE lens.

JLM
02-27-08, 18:59
sproc, where'd you get your rx lens, direct from ESS? I didn't see an antireflective option listed so.

thanks!

sproc
02-27-08, 21:59
No, I just took the rx insert to a local eye doc. Costco also has good prices on lenses.