PDA

View Full Version : Question on installing a rail with a perm flash hider.

ffhounddog
01-03-13, 07:43
I have a Daniel Defense 14.5 lightweight Carbine with a Perm attached Gemtech Bilock on it and I just got a Daniel Defense Omega-X rail in the mail. I was told this morning that I might not be able to install the rail because of the permenent flashhider. Is this correct? Sounds odd but I hope I did not screw up with buying the Omega X for the Daniel Defense.

ffh

ICANHITHIMMAN
01-03-13, 08:00
I have a Daniel Defense 14.5 lightweight Carbine with a Perm attached Gemtech Bilock on it and I just got a Daniel Defense Omega-X rail in the mail. I was told this morning that I might not be able to install the rail because of the permenent flashhider. Is this correct? Sounds odd but I hope I did not screw up with buying the Omega X for the Daniel Defense.

ffh

Dont know how it installs, but it should me doable depending on a few things. How long is the rail and how long is your gas system?

ffhounddog
01-03-13, 08:08
Carbine gas system and it is a 12.0 FSB Omega-X Rail.

Sorry forgot to put that in there.

skullworks
01-03-13, 08:09
Since you apparently need a special barrel nut to install the X Rail you'll need to be able to remove the gas block. If you have a 2-piece gas block that can be removed without unpinning the Bi Lock, and the the barrel nut can slip over the Bi Lock as well, you'll be ok. Optionally you could cut off the old gas block and change it to a 2-piece.

Otherwise I guess your only option would be to have a gunsmith "unpin" the Bi Lock and install the rail for you.

Or find another rail.

skullworks
01-03-13, 08:13
Found these two videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnQeVj1OqJA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or7qwDAlMSQ

ffhounddog
01-03-13, 09:02
So it is going to cost more.

Such is life I will take to the folks here in NOVA and see what they can do if anything.

Maybe I can find a new 14.5 barrel to play with.

fdxpilot
01-03-13, 16:00

Such is life I will take to the folks here in NOVA and see what they can do if anything.

That's the downside of a 14.5" barrel with a pinned muzzle device. You are pretty much stuck with the setup you have, unless you have a good gunsmith and lots of cash. You might also make sure your Daniels barrel nut will fit over your muzzle device, or that will also have to be removed.

Iraqgunz
01-03-13, 16:14
If I were you, I would sell the DD rail and get a Centurion. All you need to do is cut away the slip ring. Otherwise you will pay to have the muzzle device removed, then pay to have it re-installed and the original cost of the work.

In all it will cost you alot more.

Travis B
01-03-13, 19:07
I would look into a troy mrf. It's a 2 piece free float and is pretty solid, especially for the price.

sva01
01-03-13, 21:01
IMO, Troy Delta rail is worth a look if you don't have multiple attachment requirements. Troy Charlie rail if you need the quad Picatinny.