PDA

View Full Version : Regional instructors & classes in survival

Grizzly16
01-03-13, 11:12
Does anyone have recommendations for good classes/teachers in the Arkansas region? Google has turned up a few interesting folks. But I haven't found an instructor yet who will say "ya I suck compared to an expert but I"ll still take your money". I'm looking for something on par with Cody Lundin's very primitive approach and would travel as needed. But I'd prefer to stay in a similar bio-region as Arkansas so actually heading to the desert isn't my first choice for a number of reasons.

strow
01-05-13, 11:07
Give Jerry Ward a call. He is the real deal with plenty of real work experience. Also a really good guy!

http://www.ozarkmountainpreparedness.com/

Without getting into a pissing contest, I would pass on Cody. It is my opinion he has drank to much of my own cool-aid. YMMV.

Hope this helps.

ReRun
01-31-13, 19:40
OP I think it depends on what you're looking for. Primitive survival or a more modern slant.

Jerry is a great guy and takes a more modern approach from a standpoint of having tools available and using them.

For a more primitive approach (you've got a knife, now what?) check out Sigma III Survival. Their wilderness courses are more geared to a minimalist approach.

I learned quite a bit from both places and plan on visiting both again.