PDA

View Full Version : Denny's tells detectives to leave resteraunt

bubba04
01-03-13, 19:01
Never was a big fan, but I will be damned if I got to their chain now.

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/dennys-refuses-to-serve-gun-toting-police-officer.html

Moose-Knuckle
01-03-13, 19:43
True story.

One of our late Judges cut his teeth on the border as a Texas Ranger. He told us one day that an older Ranger and him ventured into some jerk water cafe and asked for two cups of coffee. The cafe owner and staff wouldn't even acknowledge their existence. Without skipping a beat the old Ranger told the younger one to get two coffee cups and go over to the large coffee urn across the room. At that time the old Ranger pulled his service pistol and shot two holes in the urn. As the coffee began pouring out the two bullet holes all over the floor he instructed the younger one to fill their cups. The cafe folk's eyes were as big a dinner plates and no one said a damn word the whole time, LOL.

As far as Denny is concerned, IIRC they are franchised out. One of the largest franchise chain owners was in hot water with the CEO for charging an Obamacare Surcharge. :D

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/20/john-metz-dennys-obamacare-surcharge-_n_2146735.html

bubba04
01-03-13, 19:47
I love my state, though I think I would have really liked it 50 years ago more.

Moose-Knuckle
01-03-13, 19:50
I love my state, though I think I would have really liked it 50 years ago more.

Yeah we did things a little different back then. :cool:

Belmont31R
01-03-13, 19:57
I find it worse that the chief would ban officers from patronizing the restaurant at all.

Irish
01-03-13, 20:02
unsubbed

feedramp
01-03-13, 20:10
I find it worse that the chief would ban officers from patronizing the restaurant at all.

Worse for the restaurant! lol

mnoe82
01-03-13, 20:24
True story.

One of our late Judges cut his teeth on the border as a Texas Ranger. He told us one day that an older Ranger and him ventured into some jerk water cafe and asked for two cups of coffee. The cafe owner and staff wouldn't even acknowledge their existence. Without skipping a beat the old Ranger told the younger one to get two coffee cups and go over to the large coffee urn across the room. At that time the old Ranger pulled his service pistol and shot two holes in the urn. As the coffee began pouring out the two bullet holes all over the floor he instructed the younger one to fill their cups. The cafe folk's eyes were as big a dinner plates and no one said a damn word the whole time, LOL.

I guess I'm missing something here. Are you promoting this type of behavior?

7 RING
01-03-13, 20:33

The chief of police did the right thing. This way he can prevent conflicts from occurring between his officers and Denny's staff until things cool down.

The downside is that the midnight shift manager at Denny's will be a little busier without officers eating at Denny's after the bars close.

Moose-Knuckle
01-03-13, 20:34
Are you promoting this type of behavior?

Negative.

This story happened during the 1930's. It was a MUCH different world back then. Point being this sort of thing is not NEW. I find both stories humerous, the latter being a two edged sword.

Belmont31R
01-03-13, 20:35
The chief of police did the right thing. This way he can prevent conflicts between his officers and Denny's staff until things cool down.

The midnight shift manager at Denny's will be a little busier without midnight shift officers eating at Denny's after the bars close though.

I didn't see a differentiation between on or off duty. I read it as the chief banning his officers from the place either way.

mnoe82
01-03-13, 20:36
Negative.

This story happened during the 1930's. It was a MUCH different world back then. Point being this sort of thing is not NEW. I find both stories humerous, the latter being a two edged sword.

Gotcha. Just clarifying

Reagans Rascals
01-04-13, 04:18
Damn.... looks like Denny's is going on the list now... and I was just saying to myself how its been such a long time since I've had a raging case of the hot shits...

montanadave
01-04-13, 07:58
Having worked in the substance abuse and mental health fields, I wouldn't eat in one of our local Denny's if you held a gun to my head. If you think the folks sitting out front look a little sketchy, you should see who's cooking your food! :eek:

Those cops deserve a commendation for gastrointestinal heroism just for eating in the joint.

Chameleox
01-04-13, 08:13
I didn't see a differentiation between on or off duty. I read it as the chief banning his officers from the place either way.

From the article, first full paragraph:
“The Belleville Police Department is very disheartened by the lack of respect shown to on-duty sworn police officers, Capt. Don Sax said in a statement to Fox News. “Until further notice all on duty Belleville Police officers are banned from Denny’s Restaurant unless responding to an official call for service.”
(emphasis added)

The articles I've read seem to indicate that this was a mis-step by a junior manager, and not a corporate or regional problem.

Still not eating there, though. On duty or off.

WillBrink
01-04-13, 08:21
Never was a big fan, but I will be damned if I got to their chain now.

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/dennys-refuses-to-serve-gun-toting-police-officer.html

But:

"A spokesperson for Denny’s told Fox News told Fox News the restaurant manager made a mistake. They do allow both uniformed and non-uniformed officers to carry weapons in the restaurant.

The spokesman said it was a case of miscommunication. They said the manager was trying to do the right thing after a diner had complained.

Denny’s said they regret any misunderstanding."

Sh&* happens, people screw up, but it seems to me Denny's made it right and is clear it was a mistake by one person.

I wouldn't eat at Denny's unless I was dying of starvation, but they are not on my sh%$ list quite yet due to this.

ST911
01-04-13, 09:17
Slow the train down a bit here. Issues of employee selection and food quality aside... I see nothing in the article that suggest Denny's corporation is worthy of boycott as a result of a local manager with HUA. Is there more somewhere I missed?

I am much more bothered that these guys were obvious enough to get made, and a gun was specifically seen. Cover it up, folks.

7 RING
01-04-13, 09:21
This issue was resolved and the Belleville Police Chief told his officers they could frequent the restaurant while on duty. I am not going to punish the Denny's Corporation, because one manager made a bad decision.

Magic_Salad0892
01-04-13, 11:51
**** you guys, I love Dennys.

Gunfighter.45
01-04-13, 12:05
**** you guys, I love Dennys.

Lol...**** Denny's. I'll keep going to Cracker Barrel for my breakfast.

Moose-Knuckle
01-04-13, 15:55
Lol...**** Denny's. I'll keep going to Cracker Barrel for my breakfast.

Yeah I can't stand Denny's, IHOP, or Waffle House . . . eggs out of a box, frozen everything, etc. :bad:

jet66
01-04-13, 16:07
It's definitely 'just that place,' as I see city cops, county deputies, and state troopers in all of the Denny's in the two counties I frequent, usually in the wee hours.

Say what you want about Denny's, nothing beats a Super Bird and coffee after the bars close. :p

Magic_Salad0892
01-04-13, 16:29
It's definitely 'just that place,' as I see city cops, county deputies, and state troopers in all of the Denny's in the two counties I frequent, usually in the wee hours.

Say what you want about Denny's, nothing beats a Super Bird and coffee after the bars close. :p

I'm with you on that one, except the coffee. Their coffee is made of ground up horse testicles for sure.

jet66
01-04-13, 17:00
I'm with you on that one, except the coffee. Their coffee is made of ground up horse testicles for sure.

Usually at that point I don't care, but I agree, their coffee leaves something to be desired.