PDA

View Full Version : HK P 30, p+ a no go?

Phillygunguy
01-04-13, 10:05
I just recently bought a HKP30 9mm and read in the manual. they dont recommend any +p or +P+ ammo. I was kind of shocked beings that glocks can and I figured HK can use it as well. I only ask because most of my ammo is either +p or +p + and with ammo being scarce I was hoping to use what I have rather than buy more ammo

RHINOWSO
01-04-13, 10:20
Mine has no issue with +P. I used Federal 124gr+P HST.

Phillygunguy
01-04-13, 10:24
Mine has no issue with +P. I used Federal 124gr+P HST.

have you put a lot of + p rounds though it?, thousands of rounds?

JSantoro
01-04-13, 10:37
Those things eats +P ammo like candy. A lot of P30s that start out unable to cycle some of the more aenimic stuff Americans like to buy as their go-to training rounds, and have benefitted from 300-500 rounds of nothing but NATO or +P ammo before settling in. Safe to say that +P isn't any more likely to hurt the thing any more than any other duty-grade handgun.

I think that recommendation is a lot like how a Surefire rep will "recommend" that their non-weapon-mount-specific lights shouldn't be used on firearms...

...but they know that they work fine on them, and will be winking and laying their forefinger alongside their nose the entire time they're telling you to not do it.

Laywers wrote that recommendation, not engineers.

Brahmzy
01-04-13, 11:24
No issues with +P in my P30L. Granted I've only ran maybe 100rds of +P through it, but it's still looks perfect after 1,500rds or so of FMJ.

I recently bought a USPc 9 - quite the opposite on it as far as +P is concerned. HK over-advertizes it's ability to handle +P. Almost a "PLEASE run +P through our USP guns!"

Phillygunguy
01-04-13, 11:32
Glad to hear I'll run some Rangers through It and see how it performs thanks

Psalms144.1
01-04-13, 12:07
I have run several thousand NATO ball (+P+ equivalent) through my P30 without a hitch...

Regards,

Kevin

djmorris
01-04-13, 12:14
Practically every firearm manufacturer says this. Any HK will be fine with +P rounds. It's just legal bull crap to cover their own ass.

01-04-13, 12:21
Not P30's but my USP and USPc have seen thousands of +p .45 with no issues.

Phillygunguy
01-04-13, 15:58
put a box of Winchester ranger +p without any issues
I also noticed shooting Remington 115 grain there were erratic ejections not like the other ammo I shot, Can I assume that it needs a higher grain ? I put about 400 rounds so far through the gun

mark7
01-04-13, 21:50
I've also run a couple thousand NATO rounds through my P30 without a hick-up. . . .

decodeddiesel
01-04-13, 21:57
My P30 LEM ran like poop at first on normal 115gr ammo, and it wasn't until I fed it about 500 rounds of 124gr +P, 147gr +P, and 9mm NATO which seems to have set the springs properly and the pistol has fired thousands of trouble free rounds since then.

I have well over 2000 rounds of +P ammo through the pistol at this point.

GNXII
01-04-13, 22:03
Recently a buddy had purchased a P30 in 9mm that choked considerably on Federal AE and Win white box bulk. Stuff was anemic and when fed about 500 rnds of 9mmNATO Spec stuff the P30 runs like butter with all and any he can stuff in the mags.. All modern HK pistols are overbuilt imho and can take the HP stuff with no issue.

Denali
01-04-13, 22:41
I just recently bought a HKP30 9mm and read in the manual. they dont recommend any +p or +P+ ammo. I was kind of shocked beings that glocks can and I figured HK can use it as well. I only ask because most of my ammo is either +p or +p + and with ammo being scarce I was hoping to use what I have rather than buy more ammo

You can run extensive amounts of such ammunition through your P30...The P30 was designed "specifically" around the 124 gr Nato loading, which is virtually identical to 124 gr +P. You should have no problems with +P+ either, though it will accelerate wear.

Don't tell HK though, don't give them any excuse to void your warranty....HK's customer service can be quite indifferent to "consumer market" warranty issues...

Denali
01-04-13, 22:49
I have run several thousand NATO ball (+P+ equivalent) through my P30 without a hitch...

Regards,

Kevin

No, not the equal of +P+...124 gr Nato ball runs at 36,500 cup(CIP), 124 gr +P at about 36,000 cup(SAAMI)

http://gunnuts.net/2009/04/03/9mm-nato-vs-9mm-luger/

Phillygunguy
01-05-13, 00:36
Thanks for all the input guys much appreciated :)

johnnywitt
01-05-13, 23:12

Regards,

Kevin

NATO & +p about the same as above poster stated.

+p+ out side of SAAMI Specs and usually for open bolt subguns like an Uzi. Can use in, so called, closed bolt Uzi as well (FYI).

99HMC4
01-05-13, 23:41
That's like asking if 114 octane race gas is okay in a Ferrari....

avangeline
01-06-13, 03:09
Not P30's but my USP and USPc have seen thousands of +p .45 with no issues.
http://www.booksstore.info/fore/manboy.jpg
http://www.booksstore.info/jokelist/tistar.jpg

Hootiewho
01-07-13, 08:23
You will probably find your P30 will shoot a little bit more accurately with +P or Nato ammo. I got a bunch of 124 gr Nato ball a while back and have shot a ton through my CCW P30. It actually has been a very good load for me. I've also run some Win Ranger 127 +P+ through mine, with no wear issues. If it is a new pistol, you'll see some polymer wear around the steel frame inserts, but after a thousand rounds of any ammo this will pretty much stop, so it you notice it don't freak out.

For a while I shot a lot of AE 147 gr through mine and it seemed to be most accurate for me. Then I happened into a good stash of Gold Dot 124 gr +P & Fed 124 gr +P HST; both of which have proven to be extremely accurate & reliable. Rest assured, these pistols & the HK45 are over built and you will not have any problems over the long haul even if you shot only +P.

Elessar
01-07-13, 14:36
If you haven't seen it before:

http://pistol-training.com/archives/2645

Kyohte
01-08-13, 17:18
Both of my P30s had a few hiccups until I broke them in with a good many NATO spec rounds. From what I recall, HK guns are designed for the NATO spec round, not commercial 9mm.

1gunzenuf
01-09-13, 09:14
Both of my P30s had a few hiccups until I broke them in with a good many NATO spec rounds. From what I recall, HK guns are designed for the NATO spec round, not commercial 9mm.

This... my P30 did not like the American Eagle 124 grain stuff I bought to practice with (it was brand new). 720 rounds NATO ball and 360 rounds +P 124 HST's later and it is still running like an HK should. I carry a PPQ, so it gets most of the training rounds, but dad likes the P30, so we keep it around and shoot it as often as we get together.

Your sidearm should be fine as long as you feed it quality ammo.