PDA

View Full Version : FAL prices

TXBob
01-04-13, 10:43
I was looking at picking up a FAL, however with the current craze everything has gone nuts.

With my limited experience, what should I expect to pay for a decent SA58 20" I was thinking 1200 to 1500

This is not a panic buy, so I don't NEED to purchase. I can walk away from any deal. But there are deals to be had--just harder to find. Any guides? DSA just upped their prices 400-500 dollars for NEW rifles (1700) over last year at this time--and that appears to be affecting even "Honest" Buyers.

shootist~
01-05-13, 13:12
It used to be the sum value of the parts for a "parts kit" gun, so about 750-900. I would guess twice that right now.

BTW, I'll take a good parts kit gun gun, with all original mil parts except the compliance parts, over a DSA factory build with US made barrel - assuming I built it myself or it came from ARS (gunplumber), or some other of known quality. But that's just my humble opinion.

I would probably pass on anything that started as a G-1 kit or SA/Rhodie since those were (mostly) worn slap out.

Just because it has a DSA upper receiver does not mean much, btw as most or many of the kit guns out there used stripped DSA or Imbel uppers.

The main thing (other than a bright/shiny barrel) is a tight fit between the upper and lower receivers - no horizontal slop. Plus being confident that it has the requisite number of not-evil US compliance parts. Several of mine ended up with a brand new (old stock) G1 lower receiver to correct the slop issue.

TXBob
01-05-13, 15:16
Many thanks for the guidelines

Gutshot John
01-05-13, 15:42
There is a difference between kit gun builds done by your average WECSOGer and those either built at a factory or builds done by a reputable gunsmith (e.g. Mark "Gunplumber" Graham).

For a WECSOG kit gun I wouldn't consider anything more expensive than $1000 assuming it has either an Imbel, Coonan, or DSA receiver. Some might run great, some will undoubtedly suck. For $1000 you'll either get lucky or need to invest some time/effort/money in order to get a decent gun. This isn't a huge deal as you'll learn a lot about the platform.

For either of the other two options $1700+ for a new SA58 isn't really that much anymore given how hard to find parts and other necessities are compared to past years. FALs used to be had for a song compared to other battle rifles, that's no longer the case.

Bret
01-05-13, 20:41
If you are somewhat mechanically enclined, I'd recommend that you build one yourself. An FAL was my first rifle build. I used an Entreprise receiver, an SA58 kit and Gunplumber's video. I just took my time and followed the instructions. When I shot it for the first time (at 100yds), I didn't even have to adjust the sights. The accuracy was so much better than that of my Springfield SAR4800, that I sold the Springfield. I figured that there's no point in having a factory rifle that's worth more (to others) than one I built myself that outperforms it. As far as build difficulty goes, it's harder to build than an AR15, but easier than an AK.

CRAMBONE
01-06-13, 00:16
Not sure if the prices I got from them are still current, but if your mil/Leo DS Arms gives a bad ass discount. Does anyone know when they stopped production of the STGs?

RedXd
01-12-13, 00:12
I second the idea of building your own. Although Gunplummer did build mine. It's pretty straightforward. You would have lots of resources to lean on. And the pride of it be truly your making. Good luck and go for it dude.

bondmid003
01-16-13, 07:14
I got a pretty good price on a STG58 Para built by DSA. PM me if you want to know what the price was. For the folding stock and included top rail, I felt I got a pretty good deal.

Trueno
01-21-13, 22:40
I looked at one at the HGCA show this past weekend in Houston, an STG58 clone. Imbel rec'r with correct flash hider and metal handguards but was built by CAI.

6/10 used condition, price was 1150, seller was a friend of a friend and will let me have it for 1000 even. I might go for it.

t

jameseguerin@hotmail.com
01-22-13, 10:39
$1000 sounds like a good deal.

Bret
01-22-13, 10:54
It may be a decent deal depending on how it's made. I'd definitely inspect the barrel and headspace.