PDA

View Full Version : Illinois Gun Grabbers: NOT ENOUGH VOTES!-EDIT W/UPDATE

Doc Safari
01-04-13, 12:55
http://washingtonexaminer.com/nra-warns-of-more-fights-after-illinois-win/article/2517558#.UObsgW_AexV

President Obama's home state of Illinois won't be the first to approve post-Sandy Hook Elementary School gun control measures after all, thanks in part to the Second Amendment advocacy of the National Rifle Association.

The Illinois Senate pulled the plug on legislation to ban assault-style weapons and high-capacity ammo clips late Thursday, a stinging rebuke to Democrats and a wake-up call to the president and his supporters who think the Newtown, Conn. school child slayings will make it easy to pass gun control.

Gun advocates predict that the Illinois Senate will offer watered down legislation next year, likely limiting the number and types of guns to be restricted. "This is in no way a victory and nobody is doing a victory dance," said a state gun advocate. "This is a minor win and we have to keep on."

--boldface type mine

Lawmakers in Springfield, Ill. who support the measures said they lacked the support to win, in part because some members were absent.

The first hiccup in their momentum! Have a great weekend!

(But don't go back to sleep: this shit is just starting) :D

IYAAYASwarrior
01-04-13, 12:57
I hope this is a lesson to the rest of the country's Gun-Grabbers!

cinco
01-04-13, 12:58
'Merica!

jaxman7
01-04-13, 13:10
Nice to receive a small portion of hope through all this.

Very good to hear.

-Jax

ryr8828
01-04-13, 13:43
Now they're going to try it in the IL House.

House convenes Sunday.

ICANHITHIMMAN
01-04-13, 14:57
Any chance they did It hoping for a federal plan so they don't look like the bad guys?

hatt
01-04-13, 18:45
Any chance they did It hoping for a federal plan so they don't look like the bad guys?
I don't see how that would be the plan. Looks like it'd make those on the fence in DC pretty skittish seeing that a very antigun State fall short in attempting additional regulations.

Moose-Knuckle
01-04-13, 20:15
. . . thanks in part to the Second Amendment advocacy of the National Rifle Association.

For you non-NRA members out there if this is not a wake up call to pony up a measley $35 then I don't know what is.

It's past time to circle the wagons . . .

brushy bill
01-04-13, 21:20
For you non-NRA members out there if this is not a wake up call to pony up a measley $35 then I don't know what is.

It's past time to circle the wagons . . .

Sad so many won't pull their share, but this seems to be the trend.

jaydoc1
01-04-13, 22:01
Not just NRA the NRA-ILA.

Safetyhit
01-04-13, 22:08
Sad so many won't pull their share, but this seems to be the trend.

Maybe you're referring to some members such as myself expressing their frustration regarding the fact that the organization is essentially a non-factor in our respective states, usually the ones in which they're needed most. But that said there's no doubt that everyone needs to be back on board now regardless.

brushy bill
01-04-13, 22:23
Maybe you're referring to some members such as myself expressing their frustration regarding the fact that the organization is essentially a non-factor in our respective states, usually the ones in which they're needed most. But that said there's no doubt that everyone needs to be back on board now regardless.

Not referring to you or anyone else in particular. However, when there are only 3 million NRA members and how many million gun owners, it is frustrating.

True enough there have been posts here faulting the NRA, but warts and all, it is the most powerful lobbying voice we have. I support other groups as well, such as NAGR, but they simply don't have the numbers/financing/legislative know how the NRA has.

I am not a wealthy man, but if I can be an endowment member (I plan to upgrade to benefactor as soon as I can) why can't others bringing in considerably more than me (at least from the "my stuff" posts I see here) pitch in as well rather than finding reasons the NRA isn't good enough?

As you say, everyone needs to get on board if they really care about our gun rights. Maybe you believe the NRA is not doing as much as they can in your state, but if everyone doesn't pitch in now, it may be too little too late. Also, the state membership has to be there to support the NRA. To complain they aren't doing enough in your area when you aren't in for the fight goes back to the old saying about pointing your index finger at someone else, but finding three pointing back at you. Again, not a personal attack, but we really need to get everyone on board IMHO and rationalizing that the NRA isn't doing enough in your area doesn't cut it when we are in for the fight of our lives. State associations are there as well. I'll get off my pulpit now.

bondmid003
01-05-13, 00:13

I vote in florida's first district , I wrote and emailed rep miller and senators Nelson and Rubio .

Unfortunately safety your state seems beyond saving

ryr8828
01-06-13, 17:15
Slapped down in the House also, but I'm sure they'll start beating their drums again when the new session starts.

House pulls plug on gun-control measures: "We didn't think we had the votes"
By Dave McKinney on January 6, 2013 3:15 PM |

SPRINGFIELD-Add gun-control legislation to the growing legislative scrap heap for what thus far has been a lame lame-duck session.

Citing a lack of support, the House sponsor of bans on military-style weapons -- dubbed "assault weapons" by critics -- and the high-powered ammunition that feeds them decided Sunday not to call either measure for a vote in his chamber.

Those same bills stalled last week in the Senate.

"Since we felt we didn't have enough overwhelming support in the Senate, we were worried about having the support in the House," state Rep. Edward Acevedo (D-Chicago), chief House sponsor of both bills, told the Chicago Sun-Times.

The House convened for its part of the lame-duck session Sunday and is scheduled to remain until Tuesday, the final full day of this General Assembly's two-year term. The bills were scheduled to be heard in committee Sunday until the plug was pulled on both.

The Senate has scheduled a return to Springfield on Tuesday to deal with anything the House might pass, but it's an open question of whether there will be anything of substance for the Senate to act upon.

"We didn't want to call it if we didn't think we had the votes, and we really don't know today if the Senate is coming back Tuesday," Acevedo said. "Time is so limited, I didn't want to lay any of my colleagues out."

State Rep. Brandon Phelps (D-Harrisburg), one of the House's leading gun-rights advocates, said he was surprised the gun bills weren't called even though he thinks a majority of House members were spooked by the expansive nature of the legislation, which he said could affect as many as 85 percent of all guns.

"It's just too broad and covers way too many guns," Phelps said. "The way I've heard from other people, they're not sitting down negotiating this bill. They're just throwing something out there to see if this sticks."

Beyond guns, sponsors of legislation to legalize gay marriage folded up shop last week after being unable to put together a 30-vote roll call in the Senate. A push to legalize medicinal use of marijuana also has been scrapped.

The major items still on the House agenda are a package to cut pension benefits for government workers and legislation to grant undocumented immigrants state driving permits.

Contributing: Zach Buchheit

http://blogs.suntimes.com/politics/2013/01/house_pulls_plug_on_gun-control_measures.html

jaydoc1
01-06-13, 17:20
...The major items still on the House agenda are a package to cut pension benefits for government workers and legislation to grant illegal aliens state driving permits.

Fixed a little typo there for you.

Doc Safari
01-07-13, 12:51
OOPS! The fat lady ain't singin' yet:

http://isra.org/

URGENT ALERT – PLEASE READ CAREFULLY

ILLINOIS HOUSE ADJOURNS WITH NO MOVEMENT ON GUN BILLS – BUT DO NOT BE MISLED

As reported earlier, the House version of the Cullerton Gun Grab Bill was supposed to be debated before the House Judiciary Committee I at 2:00 PM today. The Chairman of the committee convened the committee, announced that there would be no gun bills debated for the rest of the session, then adjourned.

From all appearances, this was the end of the push for gun control in the legislature this session. But, don’t be confused – the session ends Wednesday. There is nothing saying that the legislature couldn’t call the bills anyway. So, be on guard and watch for alerts from the ISRA.

Also, be advised that the newly elected legislature, the 98th General Assembly, gets gaveled into action on Wednesday as well. With several pro-gun stalwarts leaving the legislature, and several brand new gun grabbers to contend with, the next session of the General Assembly promises to be turbulent times for law-abiding gun owners

ryr8828
01-07-13, 13:25
Bill sponsor Rep. Edward Acevedo (D-Chicago) listens as the House Judiciary Committee pushes the Assault Weapons Ban legislation off until next session, which begins Wednesday. (Michael Tercha, Chicago Tribune / January 6, 2013)

He mad.

Meanwhile, a proposal to allow undocumented immigrants to qualify for Illinois driver's licenses could get its first House test Monday. Sponsoring Rep. Eddie Acevedo, D-Chicago, said he would call the Senate-passed bill on the House floor if it advances from committee.

So to recap:
Acevedo is in favor of taking citizen's rights away.
Acevedo is in favor of granting rights to illegal aliens.

http://www.trbimg.com/img-50ea3203/turbine/chi-weapons-ban-on-hold-20130106/600

Moose-Knuckle
01-08-13, 02:40
So to recap:
Acevedo is in favor of taking citizen's rights away.
Acevedo is in favor of granting rights to illegal aliens.

This is the same play as Obama; "take something that is right and make it wrong and take something that is wrong and make it right".

Topsy turvy times for sure . . . :help: