PDA

View Full Version : Rifle length free float tube ?

rero360
01-04-13, 13:21
Does anyone know of any free float handguards for a rifle length gassed rifle with the fixed front sight post and that uses the original barrel nut, slip ring and all that?

Basically, I'm deploying as a SDM in a few months and we don't know what rifle systems we are going to be getting, I could get a plain jane M4 or M16 A4 or a more role specific rifle. However I'm just trying to gather options for upgrades to be used depending on what I'm issued. I know Troy has the Delta rail for carbine length guns and the Charlie rail for mid lengths that just drop in and are good to go, but they don't offer a rifle length similar setup.

sammage
01-04-13, 13:49
No armorer install needed: Daniel Defense Omega 12.0 (https://danieldefense.com/rail-systems/omega-rail/omega-rail-12-0-rifle.html)

rero360
01-04-13, 13:52
I don't know how I missed that, I looked at DD's site but missed that. Thank you.

Freelance
01-04-13, 15:30
Rainer arms is selling their 12" Fortis rail for $30 off for an intro deal

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=3366

Haven't tried it yet but it looks light and slim.

Iraqgunz
01-04-13, 15:32
Have you checked with your unit to see if you will be allowed to make a modification?

Some rails will require removal or cutting away of the slip ring.

Does anyone know of any free float handguards for a rifle length gassed rifle with the fixed front sight post and that uses the original barrel nut, slip ring and all that?

Basically, I'm deploying as a SDM in a few months and we don't know what rifle systems we are going to be getting, I could get a plain jane M4 or M16 A4 or a more role specific rifle. However I'm just trying to gather options for upgrades to be used depending on what I'm issued. I know Troy has the Delta rail for carbine length guns and the Charlie rail for mid lengths that just drop in and are good to go, but they don't offer a rifle length similar setup.

sammage
01-04-13, 16:10
Rainer arms is selling their 12" Fortis rail for $30 off for an intro deal

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=3366

Haven't tried it yet but it looks light and slim.

That rail requires removal of the delta ring etc. OP is most likely looking for something that allows the weapon to be returned to the original configuration.

rero360
01-04-13, 16:10
I've been in communication with the command, at least the CPT and LTC leading my team, and while I haven't broached this particular topic with them, every other suggestion I have made has been met with nothing but positive reactions. I've inquired as to what rifle myself and the other SDM will be getting but haven't heard back yet, I figure the earliest we will know is around the 13th.

I figure if I can find solutions that are drop in, requires no modification of the rifle other than removing the original handguard than it should be an easy sell, plus makes return to original condition at the end of tour to be much easier.

badness
01-04-13, 16:32
KAC RAS
Daniel Defense
Midwest Industries
Magpul MOE

Fit with delta and slip rings that i can think of off the top of my head.

TomMcC
01-04-13, 17:09
Apex, I have a rifle length on a 16, it's quite nice.

cjpn318
01-04-13, 22:10
I run a rifle length handguard on my carbine. I've got a magpul handguard because all I have on there is a light right now. Worked pretty well through a few classes for me.

nanners83
01-05-13, 00:28
I figure if I can find solutions that are drop in, requires no modification of the rifle other than removing the original handguard than it should be an easy sell, plus makes return to original condition at the end of tour to be much easier.

Based on your first post where you asked for a Rifle length free float rail I'd suggest the 12" Daniel Defense Omega. Requires no modification other than removing the plastic handguards
I've got one on my personal 20" upper at home and love it.

DD Omega 12.0 (https://danieldefense.com/rail-systems/omega-rail/omega-rail-12-0-rifle.html)

Install Guide for Omega rails (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?65-Daniel-Defense-OMEGA-Rail-install-guide-and-pictorial-review)

rero360
01-05-13, 07:49
Thank you everyone, I learned late yesterday that I should be getting an M16A4, I imagine with the KAC M5 RAS. I'm going to wait until I meet up with everyone and find out for sure and maybe see if the possibility exists for the unit to purchase the Omega rail.

I figure I'll have a light, either my 6P or a scout light, a DBAL or something similar, and a bipod, Harris or the atlas I just ordered mounted up front so not sure on how all that will effect accuracy with the RAS.

skullworks
01-05-13, 08:21
[disregard]

rero360
01-05-13, 08:36
Unless I'm mistaken, and I could be given that KAC's website is pretty lacking of info, from what I've been able to see and read, the RAS is not free float. But if it is free float then this whole exercise is unnecessary although informative and I'll stick with the RAS

skullworks
01-05-13, 15:08
That was why I edited my previous comment; the KAC M5 RAS is, as far as I know, not free floated. I had a brainfart.

rero360
01-05-13, 15:13
no worries, brain farts happen all the time.