PDA

View Full Version : 5 Popular Crime Fighting Tactics That Statistics Say Don't Work (Article)

Magic_Salad0892
01-04-13, 15:45
http://www.cracked.com/article_19455_5-common-crime-fighting-tactics-statistics-say-dont-work.html

I thought you guys might like this.

whiterabbit05
01-04-13, 16:11
Interesting read.

I was given a lineup once, & I knew it was BS and impossible for me to ID the perp. I only saw him 50 yds away and everyone in the photo lineup looked the same.

You really think I can pick someone out like that 1 week later???

jet66
01-04-13, 18:50
Interesting read, and not too surprising. I know a family, they had a kid that would get in to trouble from time to time, but usually nothing too serious. So one day he ends up with a group of kids, someone has a pistol, and there is an ND. Nobody hurt, nobody intentionally shot at, etc. but the police are called by a neighbor. (This happened t one of the other kid's home.) Of course no one will talk and the other parents had all 'lawyered up,' so the police step up pressure. The mom of the family I know, after getting the story from her son, says 'we're going to the police and you're cooperating, you didn't do anything wrong so you have nothing to worry about.' Famous last words...

Long story short, after 'cooperating' without counsel present, the kid is charged: Attempted murder. Ummm... what? How this came about exactly I still don't know, as the whole thing is this big convoluted story that assumes a whole lot without there being any real evidence to support any of it. The story ends with him pleaing down to some misdemeanor, and gets a year probation. He was the only one charged, in the end.

While I have the utmost respect for LEOs, I understand the politics of the job that may exist in some departments, and the prosecutor's office has a W/L tally sheet to keep up. It ain't always about truth, justice, and The American Way, sometimes it's all about making a case and getting a 'Win,' regardless of what happens to the people who are forever affected by it beyond elections, appointments, and contracts.