PDA

View Full Version : AWB Letter to my Rep (Georgia) and Reply

FlyingHunter
01-04-13, 21:33
Dear Senator Chambliss:
My wife and I are constituents in your district who have voted for you consistently.
Today for the first time we call for your swift and dedicated action as our elected representative. The so called “assault weapon” ban legislation as proposed by Senator Feinstein is a gross violation of the American public’s rights as enumerated under the U.S. Constitution.

As you well know, the US Constitution provides every American protection from government abuse under the Bill of Rights. The Constitution does not provide for merely a Bill of Needs – As such, the U.S. Government has no right to limit our rights based on its interpretation of our needs.
Further, the proposed Firearm Ban provides for the seizure of private property by banning the inheritance or transfer of legally purchased and processed firearms to family members. It thus requires upon the death of the owner that those guns be surrendered to the government. This is yet, another abridgment of our Constitutional rights against unlawful seizure.

Let us remember that from the adoption of the Constitution until the National Firearms Act of 1934, the intent of our founders was clear and unchallenged – the right to bear arms was the second most fundamental right we possess as Americans, and is specially designed to protect against the tyranny of our Government.

The red-herring and false arguments of the Anti-Gun ownership leaders fall flat in face of the fact that not one founding father acted to modify the 2nd Amendment or limit the ownership of firearms to only state chartered militia members, even after such periods as the Whiskey Rebellion and the Civil War. Their intent is clear and ratified by their actions.
Also, the U.S. Supreme court has already ruled in Haynes v. United States against the forced federal registration of firearms as a violation of the Constitution. Yet, we see the willing disregard for well settled law and trampling our Constitutional rights by Senator Feinstein and the supporters of her efforts to violate the rights of every American. The Ban also ignores and would violate the rulings of Heller v The District of Columbia and McDonald v. Chicago the most recent Supreme Courts cases related to the 2nd Amendment.

While, additional arguments and facts are available to defeat every element of the Gun Ban bill basis, the fundamental element of our rights, as established in the Bill of Rights, reduces the proposed ban and its seizure of property to an intolerable affront of our rights as enumerated by the U.S. Constitution.
The only true cause of the recent tragedies has been ignored and untreated mental health issues. Firearms, like the automobiles used to drive to the site of the crimes, were only tools used … not the cause of the actions. Let us address the true cause of these crimes – the lack of mental health treatment which impede the identification and treatment of these persons.

We call upon you as our elected representative to ensure the proposed Ban in its entirety is blocked or defeated.
I appreciate and value your service to our country as our duly elected representative and would leave you with one our founding fathers quotes regarding the issue at hand:
“No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.” –Thomas Jefferson
Sincerely,

HIS REPLY:

Thank you for contacting me regarding Second Amendment rights and gun laws in this country. I sincerely appreciate the benefit of your views.

When our Founding Fathers adopted the Bill of Rights, they specifically included a right for individuals to keep and bear arms. They wisely knew that if the people were armed, there would always be a built-in protection against criminal activity and tyranny. As an avid supporter of the Second Amendment and a gun owner I have consistently fought to protect the right to keep and bear arms.

While many call for more gun laws, we need to enforce the laws that are already on the books. The true solution to gun violence is not creating more laws, but rather in something Congress can't do—changing the basic values people cherish. The solution to violence lies in our homes, schools, and places of worship as people learn the value of the lives of others. We can all work toward addressing those basic attitudes.

Along these same lines, it is important to protect firearm manufacturers from groups that try to shut them down through legal means. Gun makers, just like manufacturers of kitchen knives, make a product, and should not be held liable when that product is used in criminal activity. People make decisions to misuse products—the product itself does not cause the crime.

Hearing from my constituents allows me to better understand your perspective, and how they impact the future of Georgia and the nation. As your representative in Congress, I will continue to take your views into consideration as legislation moves through the process for votes. Thanks again for letting me know your thoughts. For additional information regarding current legislation and my representation of the Third District, I invite you to visit my website at http://www.house.gov/westmoreland, and to receive my monthly newsletter, you can sign up on my website at http://westmoreland.house.gov/Forms/EmailSignup/.

Sincerely,

Lynn A Westmoreland

Member of Congress

While a canned response, of course, I am pleased with the substance and stance he has taken. His history has always been rock solid in support of no 2A infringements.

Your turn...Write your Reps/Senators today!

jaydoc1
01-04-13, 22:00
While that may be a canned response, it is certainly targeted at the main points of your letter. So much so that I would argue that someone actually read it and replied to you.

A reassuring reply which mirrors my, and most members of the site's, beliefs.

Now if they can just hold their ground.

HES
01-04-13, 22:37
At least you've heard back from your congress critters. I haven't heard squat back from Rep Bilirakis, Sen Rubio, or Sen Nelson. I'm ticked off too because with redistricting I have am no longer in Rep Nugent's district and he has already said "hell no" do any more gun control.

Toyoland66
01-04-13, 22:48
A very well written letter by you, and the response received trumps the only response I have received so far (I contacted all of my state and federal reps). The following response is what I received from senator Michael Bennet, (D) CO, senate

Dear Christopher:
Thank you for contacting me regarding the tragedy of the Newtown shooting. I appreciate hearing from you.
The unthinkable events which took place in Newtown, Connecticut are staggering. Like all Colorado families, my family was shocked and deeply saddened by the violence, and my heart is with the victims, their families and the entire state of Connecticut. As Coloradans, we know how this type of tragedy can shake a community to its core and in the aftermath of these abhorrent acts our priority should be on supporting the survivors and families, and healing our communities.
We must have a real discussion in this country about finding ways to stop these types of senseless shootings.* While no one law is likely to prevent a deranged individual committed to taking life from doing so, we should have a comprehensive and civil conversation about finding the right and most effective solutions to protect our communities and particularly, our children. This includes exploring a number of areas, such as mental health services, violence in our culture, and a review of our gun laws.
A Sandy Hook Support Fund has been established by the Newtown government to provide the victims and their families with support services during this difficult time. You can access it at http://www.newtown-ct.gov/Public_Documents/index. In addition, if you or a loved one is having difficulty coping with recent tragedies, including those of Aurora and Newtown, the Disaster Stress Helpline can be reached at 1-800-985-5990 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Let us all continue to keep the communities of Newtown and Aurora in our thoughts and prayers.
I value the input of fellow Coloradans in considering the wide variety of important issues and legislative initiatives that come before the Senate. I hope you will continue to inform me of your thoughts and concerns.
For more information about my priorities as a U.S. Senator, I invite you to visit my website at http://bennet.senate.gov/. Again, thank you for contacting me.
Sincerely,

Michael F. Bennet
United States Senator

TSully
01-07-13, 15:29
Thought I would pass along a response from Tim Ryan after I wrote him regarding

1421 Longworth Building
Washington, DC 20515
202-225-5261
202-225-3719 FAX

Tim Ryan
Congress of the United States
17th District, Ohio

Armed Services Committee

Committee on the Budget

January 7, 2013

Dear Mr. Sullivan:

Thank you for contacting me regarding your views about the shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. Like all Americans, I was shocked and saddened when I heard about the deaths of 20 first graders and six adults at Sandy Hook Elementary. As we reflect after this tragedy many people, including myself, are asking the important question of how do we prevent this event from happening again.

I believe we need not only a national conversation regarding responsible gun laws, but actual policies that address all of the elements that led to this tragedy, including gun safety and the lack of mental health investments.

As a co-chair of the Congressional Addiction, Treatment and Recovery Caucus I understand how imperative it is to educate and raise awareness about mental health treatment. During my time in public office, I have consistently supported legislation to support mental health programs with the appropriate funding to make sure that all people suffering from these illnesses get the help they need.

As Congress begins to consider the appropriations bills for the 2014 Fiscal Year, I will continue to push to fund both the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration and the Substance Abuse Prevention Treatment block grant at increased funding levels.

I was proud to vote for both the Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act and the Affordable Care Act, which took the necessary steps to ensure the same rules for coverage limits, co-payments, and out-of-network coverage to both mental health services and other health care services. I have recently joined my Congressional Colleagues in urging the Obama Administration to fully implement these regulations.

As we move ahead, I look forward to a healthy debate in Congress on sensible gun reforms that can keep dangerous weapons out of the hand criminals and the mental ill. In this regard, everything should be on the table for discussion, including background checks, high-capacity magazines, armor-piercing bullets, assault weapons, etc. Rest assured I will keep your views in mind as Congress continues to work on these important issues. Thank you again for your correspondence.

Sincerely,

Tim Ryan
Member of Congress

MH:as
the gun control issue.

J-Dub
01-07-13, 15:48
Background checks are already done, Assault weapons are already registered NFA, you cant buy armor-piercing bullets, and "high capacity magazines" have nothing to do with shootings.

This guy is full retard and should be out of office, since none of that b.s. should be "on the table". Rest assured, that turd doesnt give two shits about your views.

hotbiggun42
01-07-13, 15:56
Idiot politician.

avengd7x
01-07-13, 17:35
I'm in Ohio too. Here is what senator sherrod brown wrote to me:

Dear Mr. :

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the tragic shooting in Newtown, Connecticut.

My thoughts and prayers are with the victims, their families, and loved ones grieving in the wake of this merciless and random act of violence. No words can describe our horror at the murder of these innocent children and their educators, just as words fail to express our gratitude for the heroism of those teachers and law enforcement officers who responded in the morning hours of December 14, 2012. The school shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary demands that we engage in a serious national discussion about gun violence, not just in terms of weapons and bullets, but also including mental health access, public safety officers, and our responsibility both as individuals and a society. We can and must act to make such tragedies less likely in the future.

This is a complex issue and we must work together to uphold our Constitution while at the same time ensuring that our communities are safe. When our children and families are no longer safe at our schools, in our malls, and in our movie theaters, then we as a country must take action.

Many Ohioans have already written in with comments, suggestions, and concerns. I will continue to pay close attention to each of your letters, calls, and emails, and on behalf of all Ohioans, I offer my continued prayers and condolences to the Newtown community. Thank you again for writing.

Sincerely,

Sherrod Brown
United States Senator

TSully
01-07-13, 17:40
I got that same letter from Sherrod Brown. He's making sure not to commit to anything. Following is the response I wrote to Ryan.

By your response I will assume you will be seeking reforms regarding the armed protection that elected officials are provided as well. You see, I find it insulting that you would propose to limit my ability to determine what tools I deem necessary to defend myself and my family, all the while enjoying protection of heavily armed men for yourself that are provided by my family's tax dollars. My position as a voting citizen is that I have the God given right to protect myself with what ever tools I can afford. The attached story is a perfect example why your view is ignorant of the facts regarding personal safety. This woman and her children were lucky, and this is a perfect example of why it should not be up to you how many rounds I may carry with me, or my weapon should hold. Go after the bad guys and leave the responsible citizens to make their own decisions.

ATLANTA - A Georgia woman hiding with her children in her attic, shot an intruder five times before fleeing to safety.

The incident happened Friday afternoon in Loganville, reported ABC affiliate WSB-TV.

The woman was working in an upstairs office when she spotted a strange man outside a window, according to Walton County Sheriff Joe Chapman. He said she took her 9-year-old twins to a crawlspace before the man broke into the home, using a crowbar.

"The perpetrator opens that door. Of course, at that time he's staring at her, her two children and a .38 revolver," Chapman told WSB-TV.

The woman then shot him five times, but he survived, Chapman said. He said the woman ran out of bullets but threatened to shoot the intruder if he moved.

The woman ran to a neighbor's home with her children. The intruder attempted to flee in his car but crashed into a wooded area and collapsed in a nearby driveway, Chapman said.

Deputies arrested 32-year-old Atlanta resident Paul Slater in connection with the crime. Slater was taken to Gwinnett Medical Center for treatment. Chapman said Slater was shot in the face and neck.

Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved.

boggyboy72
01-07-13, 19:25
I got the same letter from Sherrod Brown.

This is what I got from Rob Portman.

Thank you for contacting me about our Second Amendment rights. It is good to hear from you.

I am a gun owner who believes in the right to bear arms in defense of self, family and property. During my 12 years serving in Congress, I received an "A" rating from the National Rifle Association for defending our Constitutional Rights. I opposed the so-called "assault weapons ban" and opposed the Brady Bill. I supported repealing both the Clinton gun ban and the Washington, D.C. gun ban. I voted to protect the private information of gun owners; to protect state gun laws; and to protect firearm and ammunition manufacturers, dealers or importers from lawsuits and damages related to criminal misuse by a third party.

As a life-long hunter, I also believe the rights and freedoms of hunters must be guarded and I developed an executive order that the president signed to enhance hunting and fishing opportunities at wildlife refuges and national preserves. As your Senator, I will continue to protect our Constitutional freedoms and will be a strong advocate for preserving these rights and traditions for future generations.

Thank you for taking the time to contact my office. For more information, I encourage you to visit my website at www.portman.senate.gov. Please keep in touch.

Sincerely,

Rob Portman
U.S. Senator

jwfuhrman
01-07-13, 19:40
Considering my Representative is also a fellow farmer that has ground adjoining some of my own, he actually made a point of stopping over for an hour to discuss this very topic before returning to Washington to deal with the fiscal cliff.

He and I share the same thoughts on the subject.

My former representative is now my Governor.

feedramp
01-07-13, 19:41
@Toyoland66 -- Anyone who actually has the nerve to call for a "civil conversation" is a pussy. The only people not being civil are the leftists and they're the ones who have the hypocritical nerve to make a request like that of everyone else. That term is wimpy progressive doubletalk from someone who cares more about how you deliver your speech than the truthfulness of what you say. If you discount the truth because you don't like the sound of it, that's your problem to overcome, not ours, Bennet. Get your ass to Mars.

An Undocumented Worker
01-07-13, 19:54
I havn't received a reply from Chambliss, but I did hear a press release/statement from Isakson that he doesn't support any new firearms laws.

I'm also waiting to hear back from my state house representatives and Governor Deal.

FlyingHunter
01-07-13, 21:08
I havn't received a reply from Chambliss, but I did hear a press release/statement from Isakson that he doesn't support any new firearms laws.

I'm also waiting to hear back from my state house representatives and Governor Deal.

Governor Deal is GTG. While I have not contacted him regarding the new federal infringement initiatives, I've personally spoken with him BEFORE he was elected Gov., and he was solid in his complete support for "no infringement on our 2A rights". I feel confident he'll be on the side of freedom.

xjustintimex
01-07-13, 21:11
that is a very positive response!