PDA

View Full Version : 870 mag cap

MilesVeritatis
01-04-13, 21:43
I recently ordered the Remington 870 7-shot model from Bud's. It showed up today, but I was a little puzzled that it appeared different to the one Remington had pictured on their website. Notably it has a different style mag cap that does not sit flush with the barrel and it is stamped "tactical" instead of "express." I was just wondering if this was an older/newer model, and if so if it might have a better coating than Remington's normal bottom-of-the-line powder coating.

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j341/ahanson0825/Guns%20and%20Knives/IMG_0671.jpg

kVon
01-05-13, 00:20
http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k617/kvon1/3B9C7728-0164-43D7-8FAA-10A9653E6CC7-14377-000006930E854B6E.jpg

It's the new 25077. I got one just like yours. I like it better because the mag tube is one solid piece.

MilesVeritatis
01-05-13, 05:15
Cool, I was just curious because the brand new 870 Police Magnums we just got at the office still had the old style mag cap, though they did have the one piece mag tube, which is a feature I am glad they are adopting on more models. Makes take down so much easier.

Hound_va
01-05-13, 11:51
It does limit replacement barrel choices currently as the ring for the mag tube is farther out towards the muzzle.

twistedcomrade
01-06-13, 10:38
I have been eyeing one of these at Wal-Mart. It never clicked to me that the mag was one solid peice. Replacement barrels would not be an issue for me since I would keep this shotgun stock. I think this pump would fit in real nice with my Benelli M2 and Nova tactical.

Shao
01-06-13, 10:46
Is the trigger guard polymer?

kVon
01-06-13, 10:51

Yes, polymer trigger guard.

5.56_30-06
01-09-13, 19:48
One piece mag tube is a stronger set up but I like being able to tailor mine. As it sits at home, I keep it with no mag extension for agile handling, but in other applications I may want to put a 1 or 2 round extension on there.

I guess you could get different sized tubes though...?

5.56_30-06
01-09-13, 19:49

Aren't pretty much all remmy shotguns polymer trigger assemblies nowadays? Even the police magnums?

By the way, I've heard differing opinions on which is better -- some think the polymer is more shock absorbant and obviously less prone to bending.

Shao
01-09-13, 21:06
Aren't pretty much all remmy shotguns polymer trigger assemblies nowadays? Even the police magnums?

By the way, I've heard differing opinions on which is better -- some think the polymer is more shock absorbant and obviously less prone to bending.

I don't mind a polymer trigger guard on an AR, but I like steel on an 870... My express is an earlier model and has the metal trigger guard/group. No way you could bend that thing...

5.56_30-06
01-09-13, 21:09
Yeah, I prefer the aluminum guards on my remington shotguns -- 11-87 and 870 police magnum. But it would take a lot to bust the polymer too. The polymer on my girlfriend's 870 express feels solid. One of those things that people probably put too much emphasis on.

glock_40_caliber
01-12-13, 12:24
I do like the one piece magazine tube, but the trade off would be none of the barrels I currently have would work with it. I suppose it would be all right for those without the potential for running a standard size magazine tube with it, unless you kept the standard barrel, also.

Shao
01-12-13, 12:54
I do like the one piece magazine tube, but the trade off would be none of the barrels I currently have would work with it. I suppose it would be all right for those without the potential for running a standard size magazine tube with it, unless you kept the standard barrel, also.

I have heard of extended mag tube failures so the one-piece IS appealing, but I like being able to swap out different extensions to match my barrels or if I just want to travel light. I really like the Nordic Components +2 extension with the XL cap on it - it's only .1/2"off with my new 18.5" and sat exactly flush with my OEM Remington 18". Plus it's lightened the weight considerably up front over the old steel tube I had installed. It's pricey but worth every penny in my opinion.

theorangecat
01-12-13, 18:00
I don't think there's any powder coating on that model, whether old OR new. Just the matted (blasted) and "black oxidized" finish that people love to hate. When I still had Express 870s around the place, I kept them pretty well covered with CLP and had no problem with them rusting, but I didn't really take them out that often.

(Which, I guess, is the reason why they no longer live here.)

I'd be perfectly happy with that new longer tube if all I needed was an 18.5" barrel with a +2 capacity, because for that particular combination, my opinion is that the long one-piece tube beats the factory or aftermarket "add-on" extensions hands down. Sure, it messes with the modular possibilities of 50+ years of 870s, but a lot of the younger buyers won't know and/or care.

usmcvet
01-19-13, 23:02
It does limit replacement barrel choices currently as the ring for the mag tube is farther out towards the muzzle.

That's why it looks so different. I wouldn't buy it for that reason unless it was going to be my only Remmy. I have several so I want to be able to swap my turkey/upland bbl for a rifled slug bbl when needed.

Sooie
02-18-13, 00:56
Looks like a newer model. The mag caps can be found in different configurations.