PDA

View Full Version : Response from my republican senator.

Caeser25
01-05-13, 07:43
Thank you for contacting me about the killings in Newtown, CT. I appreciate hearing from you.

Like all Americans, I was horrified and sickened to learn about the mass murder in Newtown, CT on December 14, 2012. As you know, Adam Lanza murdered 26 people that day, including educators and young children at Sandy Hook Elementary School and his mother at her house, before committing suicide. My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and the families who were affected.

In response, we need to come together as a nation, carefully reflect on what happened, and have a thoughtful dialogue on how we can improve public safety and protect our children. Of note, this atrocity in Newtown was the direct result of serious mental illness - something we have consistently observed in other mass killings over the years. We therefore need to better protect ourselves from mentally ill individuals who seek to carry out such atrocities. We also need to review and improve how we take care of the mentally ill. I therefore value your input on this issue and look forward to Congress debating which policies should be implemented to improve public safety.

J Krammes
01-05-13, 11:11
Pat Toomy...

bondmid003
01-05-13, 15:14
Care to say which one? I have not received a response from either Nelson or Rubio's office.

HES
01-05-13, 15:52
Ditto. Rubio and Nelson have been dead silent. Three emails and not a response.

Caeser25
01-05-13, 17:08
Pat Toomy...

It's from Toomey. Glad to see recognizes the mental health issue. Will our representatives stand up to big pharma?

jwperry
01-05-13, 18:25
Ditto. Rubio and Nelson have been dead silent. Three emails and not a response.

Care to say which one? I have not received a response from either Nelson or Rubio's office.

Did you really think you'd get one from Nelson?
I'm not holding my breath to receive anything from Alan Grayson..

Trajan
01-05-13, 18:31
Here's what my rep said to me

Dear Trajan,

Thank you for contacting me regarding requests for greater gun control in the wake of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting. Your views are important to me as I work to effectively represent you and Ohio's 16th Congressional District.

As a father of three, I was heartbroken by the horrific and senseless murders that took place in Connecticut. My thoughts and prayers remain with the victims, their families, friends, and loved ones. It is important we come together as a nation to support those who are currently experiencing the most tragic loss any parent or the loved ones of the victims could possibly imagine.

It is clear there is a growing mental health epidemic and culture of violence in America, which families, parents and elected officials must address. The common thread between the horrific scene at Sandy Hook Elementary School and others we've seen before in places like Colorado and Virginia Tech is unidentified or untreated mental illness. How we as a nation treat and identify mental health problems must be a primary focus in the wake of this tragedy.

I believe strongly in the 2nd Amendment, as I do in all of the enumerated rights bestowed upon us in the Bill of Rights. When acts of violence are carried out in the name of religion, as we saw on 9/11, our first reaction cannot be to put our Constitution on trial or to disavow our 1st Amendment right to freely exercise our chosen faith. The same is true when it comes to the 2nd Amendment. While none of the rights set forth in the Bill of Rights are absolute rights or without limitation, any restrictions on those rights must be narrowly tailored and meet the strictest scrutiny of our judiciary.

As Congress discusses future gun control legislation, I will be sure to keep your views in mind. I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts with me on this issue. In the future I encourage you to visit my website www.renacci.house.gov where you can email me any other concerns that you have. If you would like to stay up to date with what I am doing in the 16th District and in Washington, follow me on Facebook and Twitter to receive frequent updates at www.facebook.com/repjimrenacci and www.twitter.com/repjimrenacci.

Sincerely,

Congressman Jim Renacci
Member of Congress

ralph
01-05-13, 20:06
It is heartening to see that some of these people seen to understand that this is primarly a mental health issue. This is going to be a bitter pill for the left to swallow, as was their idea to make it more difficult to get some of these people committed..

brushy bill
01-05-13, 21:37
Cornyn and Cuellar ignored my messages and Hutchison "auto-replied" with a form letter that didn't address the issue. Typical of Cornyn. Typically weeks delay if his office replies and I suppose Cuellar could only truthfully reply he wants a ban so didn't bother.

usmcvet
01-05-13, 22:40
Well at least two of them get it.

bondmid003
01-06-13, 15:46
Did you really think you'd get one from Nelson?
I'm not holding my breath to receive anything from Alan Grayson..

No but Nelson better realize he isn't safely entrenched like Feinstein. Florida is a swing state and he better remember that

Kchen986
01-06-13, 16:45
No but Nelson better realize he isn't safely entrenched like Feinstein. Florida is a swing state and he better remember that

But he just won reelection. We need to campaign against him if he votes to violate our rights. He voted in favor of Obamacare..

Suwannee Tim
01-06-13, 20:19

Senator Bill Nelson is 70 years old and is 6 years from his next election if he chooses to run. He won the last election by 60% to 40%. He is going to do as he pleases and he greatly admires President Obama. If you want to influence Nelson the only leverage is the prospect of the Senate changing from Democrat to Republican majority in the next election. It is a lot more fun to be in the majority and Nelson knows this very well. Even that though is very little leverage. The Dems agenda it to make the US a one party state. This gun control stuff is just tactical.