PDA

View Full Version : S&W M&P Sight Tool!!

C4IGrant
02-27-08, 10:55
Praise the Lord! The M&P sight tool is finally out and available!! :D

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/SW/Site%20tool1.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/SW/Site%20tool.jpg

Robb Jensen
02-27-08, 11:00
I saw that at SHOT at the LE S&W booth when I was chatting with Ernest Langdon and Doug Grier.
I'm still leary now of sights tools and M&Ps and will still use the rubber padded vise and brass punches.

DM-SC
02-27-08, 11:09
I'm still leary now of sights tools and M&Ps and will still use the rubber padded vise and brass punches.

I hear ya! Hopefully, this M&P specific tool works better than the ones others have been using. Not a fun thing to crack a slide...:(

Grant,

Do you have a price?

Steve
02-27-08, 11:09
How much.

C4IGrant
02-27-08, 11:24
I saw that at SHOT at the LE S&W booth when I was chatting with Ernest Langdon and Doug Grier.

I do it this way as well, but it is PITA. I woul also think that if you damaged the slide using S&W's authorized sight tool, you get less flack over wanting to return the slide.

C4

C4IGrant
02-27-08, 11:31
I hear ya! Hopefully, this M&P specific tool works better than the ones others have been using. Not a fun thing to crack a slide...:(

Grant,

Do you have a price?

Price is $150.

C4

John_Wayne777
02-27-08, 12:34
Price is $150.

C4

Do you prefer an order through e-mail or through the G&R Tactical website?

C4IGrant
02-27-08, 12:45
Do you prefer an order through e-mail or through the G&R Tactical website?

They are not on the website site, so please give us a call.

C4

John_Wayne777
02-27-08, 12:49
They are not on the website site, so please give us a call.

C4

I'll be in touch before the afternoon is out.

DM-SC
02-27-08, 14:53
I'll be in touch before the afternoon is out.

Please let us know how it works once you have used it...

John_Wayne777
02-27-08, 15:50

Gladly. Right now I think I am going to go with three of Mr. Bowie's tritium fronts for my M&P pistols. That should make for a good combo with the Warren Tactical rear sights I have on my M&Ps. I've noticed that the rear sights on my .45 and my 9C weren't nearly as tight as my full sized 9mm.....perhaps I'll have the same luck with the front sight.

I used the hammer, vise, and brass punch method GotM4 mentioned to replace my original front sight on my full-sized 9mm....I had to beat the damn thing almost to death to even get the sight to budge. I think that might be how the Trijicon front ended up going dead on me during the low light class.

C4IGrant
02-27-08, 15:54

Just used it, everything worked well.

C4

Lawdog537
02-27-08, 16:23
Can you let us know how these work with the 10-8, Warren, Bowie type rear sights?

Thanks!

C4IGrant
02-27-08, 16:30
Can you let us know how these work with the 10-8, Warren, Bowie type rear sights?

Thanks!

So far, 10-8 and Bowie rears are GTG.

C4

Lawdog537
02-27-08, 16:46
Thanks Grant!

Leonidas
02-27-08, 18:34
Praise the Lord! The M&P sight tool is finally out and available!! :D

C4

I'm betting you wish you had this while you were doing my front sight ;)

nickdrak
02-27-08, 20:16
Just to clarify, this tool works on the front sight as well correct???

If this is the case, and if it works well when replacing the front M&P sights, then it is well worth the $150 price tag.

subzero
02-28-08, 05:52
Yes, front sights as well.

The gentleman who showed me this tool told me that it would not work for the front sight on the 9L though.

RAM Engineer
02-28-08, 06:39
I'd be worried about it snapping the blade off a front sight, since it doesn't contact the base of the sight. ...or does it?

John_Wayne777
02-28-08, 07:09
I'd be worried about it snapping the blade off a front sight, since it doesn't contact the base of the sight. ...or does it?

The sights on the M&P are all steel affairs, and are pretty robust from what I've seen. My front sights survived having the living snot beat out of them with a ball-peen hammer and a steel punch with little more than a few scratches.

I ruined THREE brass punches trying to get the original front sight off of my 9mm before finally making progress with the steel punch.

Robb Jensen
02-28-08, 07:28

The gentleman who showed me this tool told me that it would not work for the front sight on the 9L though.

The MGW sight tool appears to work just like it does on SIG-Sauer pistols where the backward travel of the slide into the sight tool is limited by the slides dust cover. So it makes sense that it won't work on the M&P9L because that slide is longer in that area.

The sights on the M&P are all steel affairs, and are pretty robust from what I've seen. My front sights survived having the living snot beat out of them with a ball-peen hammer and a steel punch with little more than a few scratches.

I ruined THREE brass punches trying to get the original front sight off of my 9mm before finally making progress with the steel punch.

A trick I use to make front sight installation easier on SIG-Sauer and M&Ps is to use a triangular file and remove just a little metal from the front, rear and bottom edges from the sights right side (basically tapering it a little bit), I also coat the dovetail and bottom of the front and rear sights in Militec-1. It makes starting the sights much easier. Knowing how much to remove comes with experience, I've probably installed sights on at least a hundred M&Ps now and a 2-3 hundred SIGs. Another tip: Use Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black to remove any brass marks, works on aluminum and steel.

C4IGrant
02-28-08, 08:50

Depends on which 9L model. The fiber optic sight would be a no, but the standard front sight is a yes.

C4

blackscot
02-28-08, 09:01
I used to have the MGW sight tool for the 1911. Used it many, many times on probably several dozen guns. Always 100%. Sold it when I got out of 1911 building.

I would expect this item to perform similarly.

Razoreye
02-29-08, 16:08
Damnit, I can't get my rear .45 sight to budge after beating on it with steel and brass... I don't want to shell out $150 for something I may use 6 times... :(

C4IGrant
02-29-08, 16:12
Damnit, I can't get my rear .45 sight to budge after beating on it with steel and brass... I don't want to shell out $150 for something I may use 6 times... :(

Send me your slide and I will install it for you (for small Fee). :D

C4

Razoreye
02-29-08, 16:15
Send me your slide and I will install it for you (for small Fee). :D

C4

Thanks bud, but I need to get at the plunger for a little TLC ;) then put back on the same sight. There's a tad bit of drag in the very last part of the trigger pull which has to be the trigger bar to plunger contact. :p

Thanks, anyways!

John_Wayne777
03-03-08, 18:13
Thanks to some very fast shipping by Mr. Bowie and by the folks at G&R, I received both my sight tool and the three new Bowie designed Ameriglo tritium front sights for the M&P. I followed the very easy to use instructions and in 30 minutes I had switched the front sights on all three of my M&P pistols.

I'm VERY happy with the performance of the tool. If you are interested in the M&P as your go-to platform I would heartily recommend acquisition of the sight tool.

DrMark
03-03-08, 18:40
Thanks to some very fast shipping by Mr. Bowie and by the folks at G&R, I received both my sight tool and the three new Bowie designed Ameriglo tritium front sights for the M&P.

Are there pictures of these online somewhere, or might you post some when you get a chance?

Thanks.

John_Wayne777
03-03-08, 19:04
Are there pictures of these online somewhere, or might you post some when you get a chance?

Thanks.

I took some pics but alas! I can't find the friggin' USB cable for my digicam.

In the meantime, here's some info from Bowie's website:

http://www.bowietacticalconcepts.com/sitebuilder/images/btc_mp_rear1_postcard4-964x645.png

DrMark
03-03-08, 22:06
...here's some info from Bowie's website:

Thanks.

Those look pretty good, though I wish there were more sights made according to my preference: both front & rear with serrated faces and tritium inserts (without white outlines).

C4IGrant
03-04-08, 08:18
Thanks to some very fast shipping by Mr. Bowie and by the folks at G&R, I received both my sight tool and the three new Bowie designed Ameriglo tritium front sights for the M&P. I followed the very easy to use instructions and in 30 minutes I had switched the front sights on all three of my M&P pistols.

I'm VERY happy with the performance of the tool. If you are interested in the M&P as your go-to platform I would heartily recommend acquisition of the sight tool.

Glad you like it. The tool has made my life very easy for sure!

C4

Robb Jensen
03-04-08, 12:47
I just got my S&W sight tool last night and installed a Warren fiber front with it today on my M&P, it works VERY WELL! :D

I used it to removed my too thin .100" Speed Shooters Specialties front sight too, it didn't damage it.

nickdrak
03-11-08, 03:41
I agree, the MGW M&P sight tool is a God send for the removal/installation of the front sight.

nickdrak
03-14-08, 21:04
I just used the MGW M&P sight tool to install a set of Bowie Tactical tritium sights on a co-workers 45. It was a total pleasure with the sight tool, no issues at all. It also did work well with the Bowie rear.

SuicideHz
03-14-08, 21:59
Thanks.

Those look pretty good, though I wish there were more sights made according to my preference: both front & rear with serrated faces and tritium inserts (without white outlines).

Yeah, me too!

C4IGrant
03-22-08, 11:34
For those interested, we finally got them up on our website!

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=19196

C4

USPcompact
06-11-08, 11:50
Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I was wondering how well this sight works with Warren rears?

If Grant gets it out today, hopefully I'll have the tool tomorrow.

:D

C4IGrant
06-11-08, 12:09
Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I was wondering how well this sight works with Warren rears?

If Grant gets it out today, hopefully I'll have the tool tomorrow.

Yes it does.

C4

USPcompact
06-12-08, 13:36
Yes it does.

C4

And it does it very well.

Thanks.

vicious_cb
04-17-10, 00:45
Any idea when you'll be getting more of these?

C4IGrant
04-17-10, 08:04
Any idea when you'll be getting more of these?

We can special order one for you. Send us an e-mail.

C4

jck397
06-11-10, 02:30
I've always had my sights installed by a gunsmith, but I'm thinking of picking one of these up for my M&P's since you need to remove the rear sight to detail strip the weapon, plus I'm looking into the Apex sear/striker block and Heinie stright-8's and I want to be able to do my own installation. How do you get the sights zeroed? Is it marked on the pusher? When I've had night sights installed in the past, there was no test fire so I'm assuming there's a natural zero point marked somehow? Or do you have to drift it around after you're done?

Thanks!

John_Wayne777
06-11-10, 07:07
How do you get the sights zeroed? Is it marked on the pusher?

Generally getting the sights centered in the dovetail is sufficient to get the gun zeroed. Occasionally you will need to adjust on the range to get things just right. If your current sights are properly regulated, mark their locations with some reference marks on the slide and the sight. Measure the new sights to ensure they match the dimensions of the old ones using a caliper, mark the new sights with reference marks that are in the same location, then install the sights.

Or do you have to drift it around after you're done.

Generally I just try and get the new sights centered in the dovetails and then I go to the range with my sight tool and shoot the gun to ensure it's properly zeroed. I usually have to make minor adjustments at the range to get things exactly right.

Robb Jensen
06-11-10, 07:23
I center both front and rear in their dovetails. For me all M&Ps have hit POA/POI at 50yds this way. With Glocks I have to have the rear about 1/64"-1/32" to the right to hit POA/POI at 25-50yds.

AllanRR
06-11-10, 11:14
a bit off topic...

I plan to order the sight tool from Grant and have it shipped to a relative visiting the US this June. It it ok to have the sight tool in her checked-in luggage for the international flight home or will she be hassled at customs? Thanks.

bulbvivid
04-21-11, 11:03
I recently received one of these tools from Mounting Solutions Plus. It is black whereas every image of them I have seen the tool is blue. Has anyone run across any other black ones?

Any tips regarding the use of this tool would be appreciated.

dougwg
04-21-11, 13:21
MGW started anodizing them black a while ago.

What does it matter?

bulbvivid
04-21-11, 13:32
MGW started anodizing them black a while ago.

What does it matter?

Thanks for the info. I wanted the blue because it matches the turquoise balls on the barbells in my nipple piercings.

I had never ordered from that outfit before and wanted to make sure I received the proper tool. That's why it matters.

John_Wayne777
04-21-11, 14:17
I recently received on of these tools from Mounting Solutions Plus. It is black whereas every image of them I have seen the tool is blue. Has anyone run across any other black ones?

Any tips regarding the use of this tool would be appreciated.

It's really simple to use. Follow the instructions carefully and don't forget to lube the threads on the tool generously prior to use.

bulbvivid
04-22-11, 17:52
It's really simple to use. Follow the instructions carefully and don't forget to lube the threads on the tool generously prior to use.

Thanks for that. You never know when something that appears simple to use is anything but.

Now to get to those Hack sights. I've never used any aftermarket sights, so now the quest can begin.

mkmckinley
04-22-11, 18:06
Grease the bejesus out of the screw. I put some slide glide on mine and it's much smoother than when I tried CLP. I don't know if you've done sight installs before but on the two that I've done on my M&P's the front sights went on easy with no fitting while the rears required a decent bit of fitting. The MGW tool works as advertised.

bulbvivid
04-23-11, 21:40
Grease the bejesus out of the screw. I put some slide glide on mine and it's much smoother than when I tried CLP. I don't know if you've done sight installs before but on the two that I've done on my M&P's the front sights went on easy with no fitting while the rears required a decent bit of fitting. The MGW tool works as advertised.

Thanks for the info.

This was my first sight install. I started with the rear sight and had to get a crash course in sight fitting. Part of the problem was that the tool pushes/pulls on the top of the sight instead of at the dovetail, causing a situation where the sight cants in the slot. I ended up using a stone razor hone that belonged to my grandfather to fit the sight. I removed enough metal to where the new sight slipped in about as far as the stock one. Then it stopped canting and pulled in pretty easy. The front sight was no problem.

I eye-balled them in and then took it to the range today and they seemed to hit where I was trying to put them. Provided that the sights don't go flying off when I get to shoot some more, I think it turned out well.

blackscot
04-25-11, 08:31
.....I wanted the blue because it matches the turquoise balls on the barbells in my nipple piercings.....

:haha: :lol: :sarcastic:

Grease the bejesus out of the screw......

And the piercings. :jester:

Back on-topic, glad the install went well. I might go with an M&P for carry next Fall, in which case I'll be looking to put on a set of NS's.