PDA

View Full Version : My Glock Saved My Life!

Quiet Riot
01-05-13, 08:12
As I was doing research for my "2nd Amendment Minute" series of videos, I realized that there aren't enough public stories of armed citizens stopping crime. I felt the need to share my own story of how I used my legally concealed Glock G20 (yes, it's possible) to defend myself from an armed carjacker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75gP8W37c-Y

BioLayne
01-05-13, 09:02
Great video. Some stuff we honestly don't think about. It was interesting as my defensive pistol class just went over a car break in. You never realize how small a car is and how tough it would be to get your gun out, and forget 2 hands with proper arm angles. I think you did great other than having the doors open LOL, but how many times have all of us made stupid mistakes? BG was sent away and you got out with your life and never had to shoot someone. I'd say that's a win-win. Great video.

Packman73
01-05-13, 09:11
Nice vid.:cool:

awmp
01-05-13, 09:25
Good video, wish the word would get out more

Business_Casual
01-05-13, 09:44
That is awesome, thanks for posting!

bc

ovlov28
01-05-13, 10:00
Thanks for posting, great story.

Stay safe!

SteveL
01-05-13, 10:21
Excellent video. Thanks for taking the time to put that together and share your story. Not only were you able to successfully defend yourself without having to fire a single round, but valuable lessons were learned in the process. Well done sir.

bruce21b
01-05-13, 10:26
EXCELLENT....

this is the type of stuff we need to counter the liberal-idiots depiction of typical-gun owners........

the video is done with common-sense and intelligence, something liberal goons do not possess......

very well done..

Cazwell
01-05-13, 10:31
Great video, well articulated and points we need to be making to non-gun owners and gun owners alike.

You never realize how small a car is and how tough it would be to get your gun out.

One of the main reasons I carry AIWB.

habibi
01-05-13, 11:09
That was a great video and it definitely makes you realize that we're not as "safe" in our vehicles as we like to think we are. I will be practicing drawing my weapon from a seated position more often.

kcara
01-05-13, 11:15
THanks for doing a great video.

sammage
01-05-13, 11:19
Thanks for sharing dude, good video.

af_tt
01-05-13, 11:25
Thanks for the video, brother. I had a somewhat similar experience and never thought of the fact that there are no numbers for the good guys that don't have to shoot. Would be a great PSA campaign for the NRA; interviews with people who having had a firearm, saved their lives, both shooting and not shooting.

SkiDevil
01-05-13, 11:51
Twang,
Great videos. I watched all of the 2nd Amendment videos. You should forward copies to the NRA because they could sure use a new spokesman. You come across well in the footage: cleanup, educated, and articulate.

These types of videos and some billboards are what the NRA needs to utilize to get the word out and educate folks. Maybe some type of program for schools and colleges to help educate the younger generation regarding all of the individual rights, including the 2nd Amendment.

skydivr
01-05-13, 12:04
Twang,
Great videos. I watched all of the 2nd Amendment videos. You should forward copies to the NRA because they could sure use a new spokesman. You come across well in the footage: cleanup, educated, and articulate.

These types of videos and some billboards are what the NRA needs to utilize to get the word out and educate folks. Maybe some type of program for schools and colleges to help educate the younger generation regarding all of the individual rights, including the 2nd Amendment.

Concur 100%

S. Galbraith
01-05-13, 12:08
Great video! In the 90s when carjackings and gun restrictions were all the rage, there was a female news reporter who said on TV that you don't need a gun to resist a carjacking......you just need a loud whistle or small air horn and you blast it in the carjackers face to make them run away.

Quiet Riot
01-05-13, 13:48
Thanks, everyone. I'm glad that it has been so well-received.

A few people have suggested that I forward my videos to the NRA, but there are two challenges:
1. I don't know where to forward them that they'd actually get seen, and...
2. It would probably have a greater impact if the guy making the video isn't the one saying, "Hey, check this out."

If anyone knows where and is motivated enough to forward these to the right place, I'd greatly appreciate it.

jmp45
01-05-13, 14:24
Thanks for posting, great video. I'm passing it on. That really is a shame but not surprised that there are no substantive statistics of a positive encounter like yours.

I almost had a similar incident in the early 90s while at a stop light. A guy walked up to the passenger door which was locked and tried to get in, shaking the van. Not armed in those days, I yelled at him and drove off.

wvincent
01-05-13, 14:25
Outstanding video, and a great explanation of your situation. I'm no SME, but I do know how tough it is to have to fight in a confined space. What really matters at the end of the day is the outcome, and yours was a definite win for the good guys. You survived to walk away with some lessons learned and that's what really matters.

This video needs to be forwarded to the NRA.

TriviaMonster
01-05-13, 15:21
Thanks for sharing. That really was a great story.

Also, take note all you left handed potential carjackers, you can't win.

Its funny how we never traded a little bit of freedom of religion after the Jonestown Massacre.

DocH
01-05-13, 15:29
It is true that the mere presentation of a firearm by a legally armed person can often thwart a crime. We,as you said in the video,don't have the percentages on how often this occurs,which is unfortunate,as those figures would certainly serve to show the gun grabbers that we're not all trigger happy maniacs.

I think everyone who is involved in an incident where a firearm comes into play should document it and send it to the NRA for compilation of some statistical data on this.It could only serve to help our cause. However,at this point it may be too little to late,but it should be done anyway.

I think you did well in your own case,and the fact that you didn't have to shoot(even though you tried to) probably made your life a lot easier in the 20 years since it occured.
Thanks for the video and story.

TonyM4G26
01-05-13, 15:39
Great Video.

Avedis
01-05-13, 15:51
maybe I missed it, but how did he end up getting into the vehicle? Break the window? was it unlocked?

thanks for sharing, just subscribed to your channel

gun71530
01-05-13, 16:10
Excellent video, thanks for sharing your story.

Salamander
01-05-13, 16:15
EXCELLENT....

this is the type of stuff we need to counter the liberal-idiots depiction of typical-gun owners........

the video is done with common-sense and intelligence, something liberal goons do not possess......

very well done..

The only distinction I heard him make in the video was between people who have or have not experienced a potentially life-threatening situation. I heard nothing about political beliefs.

I'd respectfully suggest that there are many pro-gun liberals especially in more rural areas, simply because they're more likely to have had personal experience with guns. There's also a rapidly growing young urban professional/progressive class re-discovering shooting as sport. We need those people on our side right now, and we need to convert others like them. Sweeping generalizations lumping those folks in with the "the enemy" only make it harder for those of us out there trying to influence the undecideds.

On the other hands, videos like this one are useful tools that we can use, precisely because they're factual and do not attempt to polarize or score political points. To the OP, nice job.

Magic_Salad0892
01-05-13, 16:16
Good video.

I'm glad you didn't have to shoot another man. I don't wish that burden on anybody.

gunrunner505
01-05-13, 16:51
Good video. Intersting stuff. Glad this instance went your way.

I wonder how many of our elected representation who want to strip away our rights might watch this? :haha: The legal armed citizen is not the danger.

G_M
01-05-13, 17:09
Thanks for sharing the video the insights were very helpful for me.

malstew123
01-05-13, 17:27
Great video. Most people are in a state of denial and think a situation such as this couldn't/won't happen to them. I was carjacked when I was 17 at a gas station in broad daylight. It certainly changed my outlook on public places and having situational awareness. Good for you that you were prepared/able to act.

Clint
01-05-13, 18:09
Great video.

I love the fun, lighthearted delivery on most your videos.

bruce21b
01-05-13, 18:19
The only distinction I heard him make in the video was between people who have or have not experienced a potentially life-threatening situation. I heard nothing about political beliefs.

I'd respectfully suggest that there are many pro-gun liberals especially in more rural areas, simply because they're more likely to have had personal experience with guns. There's also a rapidly growing young urban professional/progressive class re-discovering shooting as sport. We need those people on our side right now, and we need to convert others like them. Sweeping generalizations lumping those folks in with the "the enemy" only make it harder for those of us out there trying to influence the undecideds.

On the other hands, videos like this one are useful tools that we can use, precisely because they're factual and do not attempt to polarize or score political points. To the OP, nice job.

maybe you need to watch the news more often and get caught up on current events, pal.......

cdunn
01-05-13, 18:20
thanks for sharing, good video.

Guitarman
01-05-13, 18:33
Thanks for sharing. I never can get enough of these stories. Shared on Facebook. Hopefully one of my hippy friends will unfriend me now! :)

darr3239
01-05-13, 19:01
Honesty, and real life experiences go a long way in my book.

Thanks for the video and the info. presented there in.

Insta-Gator
01-05-13, 19:06
Thanks for the video. I've subscribed to your YouTube channel.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/yessssss.gif

dreamer56
01-05-13, 19:09
Great video - as you said, if you didn't have a gun it would have been totally different -

buddy of mine had similar experience but we are in Illinois - a no carry state - he took a 20 minute ride with the guy from ATM to ATM with a pistol in his side the whole time. Luckily the bad guy just walked away with the cash at the end of it all but it could have been much, much worse.

Brimstone
01-05-13, 22:33
Great video. I passed it along on Twitter. Maybe it will pick up some steam and go viral if a few people start linking it. It is a very thoughtful video about the reality of firearm ownership.

Thanks.

summertrips
01-05-13, 23:28
I loved it and have subscribed. Keep up the great work. We need to make our voices heard in effective and attitude changing ways.

Wake27
01-06-13, 00:16
Good video. Intersting stuff. Glad this instance went your way.

I wonder how many of our elected representation who want to strip away our rights might watch this? :haha: The legal armed citizen is not the danger.

To politicians with dreams of a big, powerful government that's exactly what they are.

OP, nice vid. I enjoyed your 2A minute's as well.

SouthpawARM4
01-06-13, 01:00
It's great to hear that a Glock owner has been able to divert an attack. And it is very true that when a person who legally owns a firearm and defends themselves there is never any coverage. I take in account of what happened back in December in San Antonio when an attack took place and was stopped by an armed police officer & security guard. It happened only a few days after the tragedy in Sandy Hook. Yet there is no media coverage of it in the national news. It seems like the national media only wants to show "body counts" instead of good news.
Also great to hear there is another G20 owner out there that uses there's for self defense. :D

Quiet Riot
01-06-13, 07:08

You get it!!!! This is exactly why I'm making these videos. They hopefully work for everyone regardless of where they are on the political spectrum.

We need the rant videos to motivate those are are already rabid 2nd Amendment supporters, but they are not likely going to reach those who are more moderate on this issue. I find it ironic about how much we complain that the media twists things to suit their purpose, but then we accept their narrative that all Democrats and social liberals are anti-gun.

While the correlation is strong, it is not 1:1. If it was, the Democrats would've easily passed DiFi's AWB II either of the two years she introduced it with both houses of Congress and POTUS strongly Democrat. They didn't because they knew that a significant amount of their support still comes from pro-2A Dems and Independents.

We need those who vote Democrat to be rabid supporters of the 2nd Ammendment, too. Otherwise, we will lose everything as soon as the anti-gun segment of the Democratic Party holds both houses of Congress and POTUS. They won't even need a tragedy if we continue to fulfill the prophecy that only social conservatives and Republicans care about gun rights.

On another note, I appreciate all the work that has been done to spread these videos. It has been a huge help, and they are already getting in front of critical thinkers still making up their minds about increasing restrictions on the 2nd Amendment.

I have more 2AMin videos outlined that will go out this week as I have time to make them. I don't want my channel to get sucked into this, so I have a few of my regular fun videos to put out first. I'd much rather focus on making vids like my "Temporary Tactical Beard" video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZO_cKASmA8), but I can't sit on the sidelines for this.

Littlelebowski
01-06-13, 07:20
maybe you need to watch the news more often and get caught up on current events, pal.......

He's dead right. Hunkering down in a trench is not going to work.

Hogsgunwild
01-06-13, 08:27
Nice work on your video.

I pulled a five shot Ruger on a scumbag (back in the early '90s) that wouldn't leave me alone (trying to mooch money) and I thought he had a knife. Luckily, it turned out not to be a knife, but, a cigarette cupped in his hand. Man did he leave me alone after that!

Bought a Glock 20 in 1991. Your video is pushing me over the edge on getting one again.

Hogsgunwild
01-06-13, 08:42
Thought I should mention how excellent SouthNarc's ECQC class was in regards to training for things that really happen like what happened to you. One of the items in his curriculum was the carjacking scenario.
We paired up to do the drill twice, in a real car, first as a driver who gets jacked and then as the carjacker. We both had our holstered, blue, Simunitions Glocks and man, that was two memorable brawls!
Each time there were two guns that needed to be commandeered.
I took a shot to the ribs that may not have stopped me (hopefully) if it was real but what a good learning experience. Kicking, punching, slamming the gun into the opponent's skull (FIST helmet).

I highly reccommend the course.

misanthropist
01-06-13, 11:24
I'll second ECQC...it was all I could think about while watching this vid: the carjacking evos.

Anyway I thought this video was excellent. I really like your straightforward, positive, apolitical delivery.

Your observation about the left-handed carjacker is both really interesting and really funny when you present it. I don't generally find that I have the patience or the interest to sit through any of the dozens of youtube gun videos that get recommended to me each week, so why exactly I picked yours to watch I couldn't really say.

But it is both worthwhile in content and engaging in delivery. Excellent job.

Bulletdog
01-06-13, 12:23
I'm sorry I don't have the link, but I distinctly remember reading a book on gun studies and statistics a few years back. The authors were from a lefty institution and their statistical analysis showed an estimated 2.5 million defensive firearm uses every year. They reported that in the vast majority of these instances not a shot was fired. I will look for the book when I get home. Surely somebody else here knows the book to which I'm referring?

I have personally had three such encounters in my short life. Two of which were during the L.A. Riots. I too am very glad that no shots were fired and no one was harmed.

elnino31
01-06-13, 12:45
Great video.

Definitely they kind of information that needs to be shared with those are hesitant or leary of gun ownership.

Hogsgunwild
01-07-13, 20:40
Thanks for jogging my memory Misanthropist, ECQC is the correct title.

Psalms144.1
01-09-13, 12:58
Quiet Riot - excellent work, sir, all the way around. Especially with your 2nd Amendment Minute videos - you're hitting the important points without even a hint of "gun nut" about your presentation. I would predict that any gun grabber seeing your videos would have nightmares about having to debate the issue intelligently with you. Bravo!

Regards,

Kevin

robfromsc
01-09-13, 14:11
Good video ,thanks for sharing.

rauchman
01-10-13, 09:11
Excellent video. I also watched your 3 part 2A series of videos. Thank you for taking the time to put these together. Also, good job on defending yourself during your car attack. You present yourself in a very credible manner and are a great ambassador of this issue. You should be on CNN as a guest of Pierce Morgan to represent gun owners.

Since you are motivated to put forth the effort of making these videos, might I humbly suggest putting together a website/blog for those who have defended themselves w/ a firearm. I would venture to guess if done the right way, and you do seem to have the knack, and also be independent of the NRA, you might start some kind of grass roots effort to further this cause.

Great job!

K1tt3n5
01-11-13, 00:19
Great story, with the best possible outcome! I hope that if I'm ever in that situation I can be as lucky!

Russell92
01-13-13, 21:40
Awesome video, as always. Thanks for sharing!

loupav
01-13-13, 22:31
Good story, thank you for posting.

xjustintimex
01-13-13, 22:46
thanks for the video!

also thanks for this video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZO_cKASmA8&list=PLLL3Kmhuld1VkfIH9ozNWMoR-Z86TbmX4&index=1

comedy appeals to the masses

thepatriot2705
01-14-13, 18:14
thanks for the video. definitely need more stories like this.

J-Dub
01-14-13, 20:50
Thank you for sharing.

In my opinion your weapon did exactly what you bought it to do...it saved your life.

Prairie Patriot
01-14-13, 21:12
Thanks, everyone. I'm glad that it has been so well-received.

A few people have suggested that I forward my videos to the NRA, but there are two challenges:
1. I don't know where to forward them that they'd actually get seen, and...
2. It would probably have a greater impact if the guy making the video isn't the one saying, "Hey, check this out."

If anyone knows where and is motivated enough to forward these to the right place, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I don't know about how to forward to the NRA, but I already shared your video on FB and Twitter. I try to make as much noise as possible and your video is an excellent presentation of an example where guns do save lives. Pointing out that there is no data regarding no shoot successes was a very nice touch.

SmokeJumper
01-14-13, 22:31
That was a good video from a real world experience and some good thought process. Thanks for sharing

bluejackets92fs
01-14-13, 22:48
Great video. I love how people always throw out the "I would have....." into these situational videos. I don't care how much someone plans, trains or preps for a situation, you are almost 100% guaranteed to approach it on the fly. Nothing goes as planned in a self defense situation.