PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 92G-SD

C4IGrant
01-05-13, 14:12
I have been looking for one of these pistols for a long time and finally (after 6 months of searching), I found one! For those that are not up on their 92's, below is a list of the differences:

Accessory rail
Aggressive checkering on the backstrap and frontstrap
Extended mag release
Brigadier slide with G (decocker only) action
Night Sights
Blackened stainless (Cajun) barrel
Machined target crown on barrel

The gun I picked up had also been sent to Robar for their NP3 coating (looks good I think).

Public Service Announcement: If you come across one of these, I would buy it (even if you don't like 92's). They are rare and considered one of the best 92 variance ever made.

Video I did on the pistol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH6HNlH21I4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/Beretta_92G-SD.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/Beretta_92G-SD1.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/Beretta_92G-SD2.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/Beretta_92G-SD3.jpg

ffhounddog
01-05-13, 14:23
Beautiful Grant just Beautiful. I miss my M9 the more I shoot my P30. For some reason the M9/92 series just fits me well.

helothar
01-05-13, 14:28
I agree this is one of the few guns I would pick up right away if I came across it. They are simply awesome. Nice piece!

Beat Trash
01-05-13, 15:08
Nice looking pistol. You need to let us know how it shoots.

Sam
01-05-13, 15:47
The 92G-SD was the first Beretta of many that I owned. It was recommended to me by SD himself. The heavier weight of the SD really soaked up the recoil of the puny 9mm. In the time that I owned the gun, I shot probably 5000 rounds through it without a single malfunction. That gun and the G-Vertec were the best shooting Berettas.

01-05-13, 16:39
I like my simple 92G very much. Mine has trij NS.

bubba04
01-05-13, 16:50
That is a great looking gun.

Cagemonkey
01-05-13, 17:54
Beautiful pistol.

morbidbattlecry
01-05-13, 17:56
I've been looking for one of these ever sense i saw SD shooting one on TAC TV. Nice looking piece you got there Grant.

Joe R.
01-05-13, 18:24
Been looking for one of those or another Elite for years. Good score Grant.

Exiledviking
01-05-13, 18:56
Nice! I've wanted one for years.

crazymoose
01-05-13, 20:40
I don't understand why the dovetailed front sight and reinforced slide didn't become standard on all 92's. Those upgrades can't represent that much additional cost.

Sam
01-05-13, 20:50
I don't understand why the dovetailed front sight and reinforced slide didn't become standard on all 92's. Those upgrades can't represent that much additional cost.

On one gun it wouldn't be much but on a few hundred thousand guns ...

dconline
01-05-13, 20:55
Best...pistol...ever. Form and function.

lethal dose
01-05-13, 20:55
Ugh. What I wouldn't give. Always wanted one. Bad. If not for the decocker alone.

Traveshamockery
01-05-13, 21:05
On one gun it wouldn't be much but on a few hundred thousand guns ...

Exactly the opposite, really.

Rob Haught
01-05-13, 21:11
For reasons known only to Beretta USA, they never really pushed the Elite Series of 92's. These were some of the best pistols they ever made. Due to the direct input of the Pistol Team members the Elite I was reluctlantly produced in modest numbers. The Elite II was everything we tried to get on the first edition but they wouldnt do. Ernest Langdon was the driving force behind them with myself, Todd Green and SD adding our input. The SD was SD's vision of the perfect service Beretta. He was kinda hard to say no to! They are rare and a great gun as are both of the ELite models. I dont think I ever saw a magazine add for any of those guns. They just didnt push them even though they sold like hotcakes. Why is it that most gun companies couldnt market free sex?

Rob Haught
01-05-13, 21:16
Probably the rarest of these is the 92 CQB. I believe there are less than 10 of them. For whatever reason Beretta decided to switch gears and go in a different direction in pistol design and we now have the Storm.

Kain
01-05-13, 21:34
Nice, not a huge two tone guy, but the features and what that is, but Damn! I would love to have one, am going to be trying to add at least one or two more 92s to my inventory in the up coming months, my 92SB is lonely and doesn't like playing with my Glocks.

Exiledviking
01-05-13, 23:15
The Elite II was everything we tried to get on the first edition but they wouldnt do. Ernest Langdon was the driving force behind them with myself, Todd Green and SD adding our input. The SD was SD's vision of the perfect service Beretta. He was kinda hard to say no to!

Who is SD? Love those Elites.

IZinterrogator
01-06-13, 00:15
I've had the 96G-SD sitting on my nightstand for eight years now. With a Mec-gar 15 round magazine and a Surefire X400, it's the perfect HD gun IMHO.

Magic_Salad0892
01-06-13, 01:06
My brother was actually bitching about wanting one of these not long ago.

"If they made that shit without the stupid rail, and made it a bit smaller... like a Centurion. That would be tits, bro." - Exact quote.

morbidbattlecry
01-06-13, 06:03
My brother was actually bitching about wanting one of these not long ago.

"If they made that shit without the stupid rail, and made it a bit smaller... like a Centurion. That would be tits, bro." - Exact quote.

Your brother has a certain way with words. :D

Robb Jensen
01-06-13, 06:38
I miss my old 92G Elite.

Speaking of weird rare Beretta's we got a Inox M9A1 Compact L. Pretty cool gun, if it were G model I'd buy it.

HackerF15E
01-06-13, 06:58
Who is SD?

Dave Harrington, a.k.a. "Super Dave" or SD.

Larry Vickers
01-06-13, 08:15
Back when Super Dave was organizing the 92G-SD I could have gotten one easily - like a dumbass I blew it off thinking I could get one down the road

Unfortunately Beretta made very few of them and I only recently got one for a good price in excellent condition

The pistol holds a special place in my heart because of my friendship with S Dave and his input made it probably the single best 92 variant for service use ever created

FYI; the frame as SD designed it lived on on the M9A1 Beretta

Cool gun - Grant called me right after he got his very excited as he should be

If you get a chance to get one don't pass it up

GrandPooba
01-06-13, 11:02
the 92G-SD is hands down the best pistol Beretta ever produced. They managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory buy not producing them anymore.

Many of the police special production runs (92G Compact, 92G Vertec, and 92G Centurion) are also outstanding pistols and are very hard to find.

C4IGrant
01-06-13, 12:41
Probably the rarest of these is the 92 CQB. I believe there are less than 10 of them. For whatever reason Beretta decided to switch gears and go in a different direction in pistol design and we now have the Storm.

LOL, good stuff Rob. I am just thrilled that the made the Storm. :suicide:

C4

C4IGrant
01-06-13, 12:46
Who is SD? Love those Elites.

Did you watch my video?? SD = Super Dave Harrington.

You can catch his training classes via Alias Training Group: http://aliastraining.com/davesuperdaveharrington2-daycombatspeedhandgun-july20-212013-councilbluffsia.aspx

C4

C4IGrant
01-06-13, 12:48
I miss my old 92G Elite.

Speaking of weird rare Beretta's we got a Inox M9A1 Compact L. Pretty cool gun, if it were G model I'd buy it.

I just bought a 92G Centurion TYPE M. Will get some pics up in the near future.

C4

C4IGrant
01-06-13, 12:59
the 92G-SD is hands down the best pistol Beretta ever produced. They managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory buy not producing them anymore.

Many of the police special production runs (92G Compact, 92G Vertec, and 92G Centurion) are also outstanding pistols and are very hard to find.

As Rob stated, gun companies (especially ones in Europe) couldn't market free sex. They also follow another common theme; "Were not happy unless your NOT happy."

These companies are run by NONE GUN PEOPLE and have just about zero clue. All gun companies (at one time or another) have consulted combat veterans/master instructors (Vickers, Harrington, Hackathorn, etc) for their input on design. They (sometimes) take their advice and produce a pistol for a short amount of time (92G-SD, etc) or ignore their advice all together and go their own way (as they know better). :rolleyes:

C4

Magic_Salad0892
01-06-13, 14:42
I just bought a 92G Centurion TYPE M. Will get some pics up in the near future.

C4

What's the Type M?

(Centurion 92G sounds like the perfect Beretta.)

GrandPooba
01-06-13, 14:52
What's the Type M?

(Centurion 92G sounds like the perfect Beretta.)

it's a Compact frame, but it's single stack 8 rds and thinner grip.

Compact L = 13rd double stack frame, slightly shorter frame dimensions compared to full size 92
Compact Type M = 8rd single stack version of the Compact L frame

BH321
01-06-13, 15:00
it's a Compact frame, but it's single stack 8 rds and thinner grip.

Compact L = 13rd double stack frame, slightly shorter frame dimensions compared to full size 92
Compact Type M = 8rd single stack version of the Compact L frame

An only slightly slimmer frame punctuated by nearly impossible to find Type M magazines. Luckily type L can take standard 92 magazines.

Magic_Salad0892
01-06-13, 15:13
Thanks, guys.

Rob Haught
01-06-13, 15:51
Super Dave Harrington

maddawg5777
01-07-13, 03:40
Nice grab, my m9a1 is my all purpose do everything pistol and I love it. Coming from a past filled with 1911's I was resistant to the m9 when I started my enlistment. Now I would trade my tv for a SD.

Trajan
01-07-13, 08:36
I like how it only has a decocker, no need to worry about putting it on safe from a power rack.

Good video Grant. I'd love to see more on the other rare guns you have.

Sam
01-07-13, 11:51
Original paint job:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/RichardTouch/GSD2.jpg

Ignore the finger groove laser grips, not factory standard.

interfan
01-07-13, 19:29
As Rob stated, gun companies (especially ones in Europe) couldn't market free sex.
C4

In Holland, free sex is just an employee benefit like vacation time.:bad:

Looks good, Grant. My wife's cousin in Italy is a Beretta freak and would trade a kidney, his dog, and one of his children for your gun.

C4IGrant
01-07-13, 20:51
Looks good, Grant. his dog.

Really? What kind of dog? :D

C4

interfan
01-08-13, 18:05
Spinone Italiano that knows how to find truffles.;)

C4IGrant
01-08-13, 19:41
Spinone Italiano that knows how to find truffles.;)

SOLD!

C4

uniform64
01-08-13, 19:49
I remember an Elite 1A also. Can't remember what the difference was but I like it better than the 1 or 2.
Nice pick up Grant.

Sam
01-08-13, 20:06
I remember an Elite 1A also. Can't remember what the difference was but I like it better than the 1 or 2.
Nice pick up Grant.

The Elite 1A has a Vertec grip, the slide and barrel is still the same Brigadier style as the other Elite series.

Fail-Safe
01-09-13, 00:33
I've been wanting an E1A for years. They made a bunch, cant find one for sale.

LHS
01-12-13, 14:54
I've been carrying my old 92G Elite for years. The 92G-SD is pretty much my ideal Beretta, and I've had my eye out for a long time looking for one at a reasonable price. In all honesty, I've been pondering getting an M9A1 and sending it off to AGW to have it converted to a G-model, or buying an M9A1 Compact and tossing my 92G Compact slide onto it.

I still bang my head that Beretta stopped making G-models and Brig slides. The Elite series (and the 92G-SD) brought the 92 into the modern era, and they threw them away like so much refuse.

morbidbattlecry
01-12-13, 15:59
I'm going to have to ask. Why the hell does beretta discontinue making so many of there models? Is it because they have the M9 contract and they don't have to diversify to make more money?

PlatoCATM
01-12-13, 22:46
These are some pretty nice iterations of the 92 that I have never seen before. So what is a reasonable price on these, when standard 92s and M9A1s are going for ~700?

LHS
01-13-13, 18:09
I'm going to have to ask. Why the hell does beretta discontinue making so many of there models? Is it because they have the M9 contract and they don't have to diversify to make more money?

This is a question that many have tried and failed to answer, including people on the Beretta IDPA team back in the day, and folks like Todd Green who worked for Beretta USA. Beretta had one of the best pistols going when they modernized the 92, and then threw it away for the PX4 insanity.

Slater
01-14-13, 06:16
As I understand it, their 90Two variant didn't do so well in the sales arena although some of it's features carried over into the 92A1.

LHS
01-14-13, 06:39
As I understand it, their 90Two variant didn't do so well in the sales arena although some of it's features carried over into the 92A1.

The 92A1 is kind of a bastardized hybrid of the 92G-SD and the 90-Two. It took the recoil buffer from the latter and the basic frame design of the former, without the little tweaks (dovetailed front sight, G-model controls, etc) that made the SD what it really was.

windigo
01-14-13, 07:23
My first pistol was a 92. I sold it when I decided to consolidate platforms. When I get some disposable income to play with, I'm going to go hunting for an Elite 1A

sinlessorrow
01-14-13, 07:45
LOL, good stuff Rob. I am just thrilled that the made the Storm. :suicide:

C4

I had a storm.....for 5 days then sold it and got a 92FS, such a nice trade off.

That is one nice gun Grant, makes me all jelly inside.

Fail-Safe
01-14-13, 14:04
In digging around in drawer of gun parts, I found a Beretta 96 mag. Its factory Beretta, but it has the big rubber pad on the bottom, also marked Beretta. It looks very similar to my old Elite 2 mags. Is this a 96G-SD mag?

556A2
01-14-13, 15:54
The 92A1 is kind of a bastardized hybrid of the 92G-SD and the 90-Two. It took the recoil buffer from the latter and the basic frame design of the former, without the little tweaks (dovetailed front sight, G-model controls, etc) that made the SD what it really was.

The 92A1 does have a dovetailed front sight.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

balance
01-14-13, 21:54
If I ever find a Steel-1 locally, it is mine.

All of the Beretta pistols that interest me the most, have been discontinued.

G-lock
03-16-13, 14:17
Hey guys-
I got an M9A1 and a 92G Brigadier upper, which gives the same config as a 92G-SD.

Any suggestions on where to find holsters, I'd like a Safariland 6004 or ALS type. I've found a few sites that list Safariland's for 92G-SD's but Safariland's website is contradictory as they don't list the SD and the other sites show commonality between the 92FS and the SD, which have different slides.

Any ideas, thanks. Jeff

LHS
03-16-13, 14:46
Hey guys-
I got an M9A1 and a 92G Brigadier upper, which gives the same config as a 92G-SD.

Any suggestions on where to find holsters, I'd like a Safariland 6004 or ALS type. I've found a few sites that list Safariland's for 92G-SD's but Safariland's website is contradictory as they don't list the SD and the other sites show commonality between the 92FS and the SD, which have different slides.

Any ideas, thanks. Jeff

They never made an ALS for the 92G-SD, but I'm not sure about the 6004. I know they made the 6004 for the Brigadier slide on the regular 92 frame, but not sure if they ever made one for the Brig slide on the railed frame.

G-lock
03-16-13, 15:08
I found in the Safariland charts it looks like the standard 6004-73 holster will fit the 92G-SD. They list the 6004-73 for the M9A1 as well, so if it clears the Brig slide I should be in business. They also list the 6004-73 for a 92 Brig, so maybe they built in enough space for the G-SD combination.

I think my buddy has one of these holsters so I can try it, now the better question is does this hold true for the light bearing holsters?

Jeff

C4IGrant
03-16-13, 20:39
I found in the Safariland charts it looks like the standard 6004-73 holster will fit the 92G-SD. They list the 6004-73 for the M9A1 as well, so if it clears the Brig slide I should be in business. They also list the 6004-73 for a 92 Brig, so maybe they built in enough space for the G-SD combination.

I think my buddy has one of these holsters so I can try it, now the better question is does this hold true for the light bearing holsters?

Jeff

I have this holster. It doesn't fit. You will need to have a custom Kydex holster made.

C4

G-lock
03-16-13, 21:38
I have this holster. It doesn't fit. You will need to have a custom Kydex holster made.

C4

I was afraid of that, odd that Safariland would get it wrong in so many places on the will fit chart.

Althought in looking at the pics of 6004's it looks they may have put in a design change somewhere in the game, I'll post a couple pics tomorrow.

Any suggestions for a holster maker?

C4IGrant
03-16-13, 21:41
I was afraid of that, odd that Safariland would get it wrong in so many places on the will fit chart.

Althought in looking at the pics of 6004's it looks they may have put in a design change somewhere in the game, I'll post a couple pics tomorrow.

Any suggestions for a holster maker?

One that you trust enough to send your gun to!

C4

Littlelebowski
03-16-13, 21:43
One that you trust enough to send your gun to!

C4

Dark Star Gear.

G-lock
03-16-13, 22:12
Thanks for the suggestions.

Grant-
Does your 6004 look like this one.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk95/Mitzelj2011/6004_l_zps04862120.jpg

Looks like maybe they updated it.

Regards, Jeff

saddlerocker
03-16-13, 23:06
Pretty cool, Whats the Loaded Chamber indicator look like?

Oh and Here is another for sale if anyone else is jonesin'
(Picture Doesnt look the same though)
http://www.gunsamerica.com/936440539/BERETTA_92G_SD.htm

Steve S.
03-17-13, 03:03
Dark Star Gear.

Tom has an FFL?

G-lock
03-17-13, 16:52
Ignore my post with the pic, apparently I was keying on the bump being the feature that changed the fit with Brig. slides, but what is really different is it 1.5mm wider.

Jeff

twistedcomrade
03-18-13, 05:32
I remember seeing these pistols, new, at gunshows and telling myself I would get one later. I really missed the boat on these. However, my 92FS has been flawless.

G-lock
03-18-13, 15:59

C4

Grant-
I got my hands on my buddies 6004-73 and it does fit the M9A1 with the Brig. slide, it is a bit snug, but usable.

Jeff

C4IGrant
03-18-13, 16:12
Grant-
I got my hands on my buddies 6004-73 and it does fit the M9A1 with the Brig. slide, it is a bit snug, but usable.

Jeff

Ya, I can get it in and with a twisting motion, get it out, but that isn't how it is supposed to be.

C4

CCK
03-18-13, 17:11
Still a glock guy at heart but just picked up a 92 Vertec for my desk drawer gun here at work.

http://imgur.com/v2Z2TsN.jpg

Chris

GJM
03-22-13, 21:04
Read the entire thread, but can't figure out the exact differences between the SD and Elite II?

LHS
03-23-13, 11:57
Read the entire thread, but can't figure out the exact differences between the SD and Elite II?

http://pistol-training.com/articles/kevhs-very-opinionated-guide-to-the-beretta-92

The SD has a rail, and a black (Bruniton) slide, while the Elite II has a bright stainless slide and no rail. The SD also had a black barrel of normal length, while the Elite series had bright barrels that were cut just a little shorter (and were crowned on the Elite II). The SD had a standard Beretta hammer, while the Elite series had skeletonized hammers. The Elite II had an extended mag release, I believe (though am not sure at the moment) that the SD had a standard mag release. The SD is basically an M9A1 frame with a Brig G slide and night sights.

BBossman
03-23-13, 14:30
http://pistol-training.com/articles/kevhs-very-opinionated-guide-to-the-beretta-92

The SD has a rail, and a black (Bruniton) slide, while the Elite II has a bright stainless slide and no rail. The SD also had a black barrel of normal length, while the Elite series had bright barrels that were cut just a little shorter (and were crowned on the Elite II). The SD had a standard Beretta hammer, while the Elite series had skeletonized hammers. The Elite II had an extended mag release, I believe (though am not sure at the moment) that the SD had a standard mag release. The SD is basically an M9A1 frame with a Brig G slide and night sights.

The SD has the extended mag release. Beretta should make it standard across the 92 family, well whats left of the family.

FortySixand2
03-24-13, 20:40
Nice looking Beretta!

GJM
03-25-13, 08:51
I stumbled across a 92G-SD by chance this morning and bought it on the spot. Price was $1,200 -- how much did I overpay?

Littlelebowski
03-25-13, 10:30
I stumbled across a 92G-SD by chance this morning and bought it on the spot. Price was $1,200 -- how much did I overpay?

I just want a range report, ASAP! :D

Bowser
03-28-13, 04:57
I've always liked the way the Elite II's looked. Some interesting info about the 92's in this thread.

Also read this too...

Turnkey11
03-28-13, 18:32
Wish I had bought one 8-10 years ago when they were in every gun shop...its still on my list.

PPGMD
03-29-13, 21:34

By stumbled you mean that Gunbroker emailed you a search result?

IMO quite a lot, but it's value is really dependent on the user. You felt $1,200 is worth the rarity. Personally I felt the starting bid price at more then a new M9A1 was too high, let alone the buy it now price. Obviously we disagree. So I will have to wait for the next one to hit Gunbroker.

orionz06
03-29-13, 22:07

You lucky SOB.

Up1911fan
03-29-13, 22:27
You didn't. Nice find!

foxtrotx1
03-30-13, 03:41

IMO quite a lot, but it's value is really dependent on the user. You felt $1,200 is worth the rarity. Personally I felt the starting bid price at more then a new M9A1 was too high, let alone the buy it now price. Obviously we disagree. So I will have to wait for the next one to hit Gunbroker.

:rolleyes:

IZinterrogator
03-30-13, 07:04
I bought my 96G-SD back in '04 for $1050 when you could still order them from Beretta, so if you got one that's still NIB I think you did alright.

Littlelebowski
03-30-13, 07:07

Do let us know when you find a cheaper one.

GJM
03-30-13, 07:17

That is funny. If you find a great condition SD for $600, I hope you will immediately post it in this thread to give us all a chance at it.

The other morning, I put "92G" into the GB search function, as I have been looking for one after giving up on finding a 92G-SD, and couldn't believe it when I saw not a 92G, but a 92G-SD.

I quickly reread this thread, which I have been following with great interest, thought about the last time I saw a 92G-SD for sale (never), thought about the GB Elite II auction that recently ended at $1,525, thought about the stupid prices I recently sold extra rifles for in late December and January, counted "1,2,3" and hit the "buy it now" button.

Couldn't have been happier with my impulse decision. :)

orionz06
03-30-13, 08:41
Couldn't have been happier with my impulse decision. :)

Now you're just bragging. :nono::nono::nono:

Safetyhit
03-30-13, 09:00
Good to see an extended, positive Beretta discussion going here. Seen them needlessly whipped like a redheaded step child in this forum too many times.

As mentioned by another member I'm also not usually a two-tone fan either, but in this case an exception could be made. The closest I have to it now is a .40 90-Two, which has swiftly become one of my favored handguns.

tenchu74
04-02-13, 10:41
Sweet shooting pistol but its very frustrating that its close to impossible to find a holster for it. Here's mine.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj84/tenchu74/image-1_zpsf673f429.jpg

Safetyhit
04-02-13, 11:08
Very nice tenchu74. I should have known they'd also make an all black version.

Surprising to see it so hard to find a good holster though.

tenchu74
04-02-13, 11:19
Yeah the 92/96g sd & 92/96g Elite 1A were the only models with the Brigadier slide (which is thicker) & the railed frame. These were both limited to a few years of production. I can only assume that holster companies either never got around to making them or figured there was no money in it considering the limited numbers produced.

Sam
04-02-13, 11:25
Most custom holster makers can accomodate a G-SD. They may need to get a little creative with their model that they use to shape the holster. When the SD first came out, I asked Lou Alessi to make a leather holster for it. Of course he didn't have the exact gun but a little explanation on my part and Lou and his crew made it work. For example, they had a model for the Vertec and a model for the Elite series. So I told them that the SD is basically a Vertec with the Elite slide. Voila. Lou and his crew used the Vertec model and padded up the slide in the area where the Elite slide was beefier than the standard slide.

This was the result:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/17880ACP_002.jpg

I used it for the SD, Vertec and Centurion. It fit perfectly.

Sam
04-02-13, 11:29

When the gun was in production, I paid $850.

RD62
04-04-13, 20:26
Out of necessity I sold my Beretta 96 that had been warmed over by Ernest Langdon and LTT several years ago.

I've got a couple of other projects to complete first but would like to pick up another Beretta, this time a 92 variant. Since they no longer make an Elite I'm thinking of picking up a 92 A1 and sending it to someone like Allegheny Gun Works for a G conversion, D Spring, Elite Hammer, Bar-Sto Elite length barrel, checkering, etc...

Not having kept up with Berettas for the last few years would the 92 A1 make this best base for this project and is AGW the go to shop or is there someone else that would be the contemporary equivalent of LTT?

GrandPooba
04-04-13, 22:55
Out of necessity I sold my Beretta 96 that had been warmed over by Ernest Langdon and LTT several years ago.

I've got a couple of other projects to complete first but would like to pick up another Beretta, this time a 92 variant. Since they no longer make an Elite I'm thinking of picking up a 92 A1 and sending it to someone like Allegheny Gun Works for a G conversion, D Spring, Elite Hammer, Bar-Sto Elite length barrel, checkering, etc...

Not having kept up with Berettas for the last few years would the 92 A1 make this best base for this project and is AGW the go to shop or is there someone else that would be the contemporary equivalent of LTT?

from what I have seen on beretta-forum, AGW seems to be a very popular choice and turns out great work.

IZinterrogator
04-06-13, 03:07
Grant, I just had a crazy idea. Why don't you take your 92G-SD to Tom at RCS so he can make a mold for a Phantom holster? All of us other G-SD owners would be eternally grateful.

C4IGrant
04-06-13, 06:50
Grant, I just had a crazy idea. Why don't you take your 92G-SD to Tom at RCS so he can make a mold for a Phantom holster? All of us other G-SD owners would be eternally grateful.

I have thought of that, but my guess is that they are super busy and don't want to mess with a handful of guns.

C4

GJM
04-06-13, 06:55
As he is just down the street from where we stay in Montana, next trip down to lower 48 I plan to bring my 92G-SD to Dale Fricke, and have him make a Gideon for it. After that visit, I think folks can get a holster from Fricke Holsters.

YVK
04-06-13, 10:31
As he is just down the street from where we stay in Montana, next trip down to lower 48 I plan to bring my 92G-SD to Dale Fricke, and have him make a Gideon for it. After that visit, I think folks can get a holster from Fricke Holsters.

Bring an Elite too...

Bret
04-07-13, 11:53
Speaking of discontinued variants, I remember seeing a 92 variant in a catalog about 20 years ago (mid '90's or so) that had a frame mounted safety. It was some kind of higher end target model. I never actually saw one in person, so I don't know how many they actually produced. Since I couldn't find one (this was before the internet took off, so search was much more difficult), I bought a 96 Brigadier. I never could get use to the safety rotating backwards, not to mention that it was harder to reach. To top it off, this particular Brigadier was horribly inaccurate, so I sold it. I'd sure like to have a Beretta with a frame mounted safety to go along with my CZ's/Clones.

LHS
04-07-13, 12:00
Speaking of discontinued variants, I remember seeing a 92 variant in a catalog about 20 years ago (mid '90's or so) that had a frame mounted safety. It was some kind of higher end target model. I never actually saw one in person, so I don't know how many they actually produced. Since I couldn't find one (this was before the internet took off, so search was much more difficult), I bought a 96 Brigadier. I never could get use to the safety rotating backwards, not to mention that it was harder to reach. To top it off, this particular Brigadier was horribly inaccurate, so I sold it. I'd sure like to have a Beretta with a frame mounted safety to go along with my CZ's/Clones.

92 Combat. Actually, the original 92 had a frame-mounted safety a la the Taurus PT92 (which began life as a direct clone of the original design as produced in Brazil, on old Beretta tooling), but it was redesigned to the slide-mounted safety fairly early on in the design.

Bret
04-07-13, 12:28
92 Combat.
Yep, that's it.
http://www.berettaweb.com/92%20combat/92-sauron-combat.gif

texasgunhand
04-07-13, 12:39
Thats really nice. I wish companys would make the nicer stuff for people that dont mind paying an extra 100 bucks or so.And they always stop making the cool stuff..

LHS
04-07-13, 13:20
If memory serves, that one was single-action only. Basically a cocked-and-locked 92. Get rid of all the silly IPSC crap and put a set of decent sights on it, and I'd love to have one.

Heavy Metal
04-07-13, 13:26
Yep, that's it.
http://www.berettaweb.com/92%20combat/92-sauron-combat.gif

Well, we know what Morgoth's right-hand man prefers now!

Exiledviking
04-07-13, 17:14
It was also available with the frame mounted safety DA/SA as the Beretta 92 Stock in black. I would love to own one.

LHS
04-07-13, 17:17
It was also available with the frame mounted safety DA/SA as the Beretta 92 Stock in black. I would love to own one.

That's the other one. I knew they made two frame-mounted models, but I couldn't for the life of me remember the other one.

Bret
04-07-13, 18:08
http://www.berettaweb.com/92%20combat/92-Stock.gif
Yep, I'd be all over this if I could find one. This is how 92's should be made.

Exiledviking
04-07-13, 18:54
Yep, I'd be all of this if I could find one. This is how 92's should be made.

IF Beretta would build that 92 Stock again, I would put down a deposit right now. Perhaps build it on the M9A1 frame? Group buy anyone??? :D

RD62
04-07-13, 20:27
IF Beretta would build that 92 Stock again, I would put down a deposit right now. Perhaps build it on the M9A1 frame? Group buy anyone??? :D

I'd be in.

NCPatrolAR
04-07-13, 20:40
There was a smith that, at one time, was converting 92D variants into a SA version w/ thumb safety

foxtrotx1
04-08-13, 02:54
Yep, I'd be all over this if I could find one. This is how 92's should be made.

Holy twat waffles I want that. That eliminates my main complaint with my beloved 92. Although, I do like that when shooting two thumbs forward, you auto disengage the safety with your right hand thumb.

I would be in for that buy as well.

Koshinn
04-08-13, 03:06
I'd be in.

On an m9a1 frame I'd be in too

BBossman
04-08-13, 07:55
92/96 Stock and Combat pop up for sale on occasion. However they approach and surpass the $2500 mark.

Beretta also made the 92/96 Steel in S/A only and D/A-S/A. Its a Vertec made of all steel with the "cocked and locked" option. They seem to go for less than the Stock and Combat.

Nice samples of each have traded hands on the Beretta Forum over the last year. In fact, there's a S/A only 92 Steel up for trade on the Beretta Forum right now.

Sent from my Proctor Silex Toaster Oven using Tapatalk 2.

GJM
04-08-13, 21:11
I am at the Rogers School this week. I have in my hands the new Safariland 7390-73 ALS holster for the Beretta 92F, which also fits the Elite II. Need to figure out tomorrow whether they have a railed version which would work with the SD. The new holster is much thinner than the previous ALS holsters like the 6377.

Up1911fan
04-08-13, 22:55
I am at the Rogers School this week. I have in my hands the new Safariland 7390-73 ALS holster for the Beretta 92F, which also fits the Elite II. Need to figure out tomorrow whether they have a railed version which would work with the SD. The new holster is much thinner than the previous ALS holsters like the 6377.

Any pics or details on the holster? Big ALS fan here.

S-1
04-08-13, 23:04

Another big ALS fan here. I'm also curious to see this new model as I just ordered an FDE 6377 for my Mk25.

LHS
04-08-13, 23:12

Are you sure the new holster fits the thicker Brigadier slide? If so, I may have to jump on one.

Bowser
04-09-13, 01:29
Does the D spring lighten up the SA pull too?

GJM
04-09-13, 02:15
Are you sure the new holster fits the thicker Brigadier slide? If so, I may have to jump on one.

I tried Bill's Elite II in it, and fits fine. Will try to post a pic after class today.

GJM
04-09-13, 02:29
Can't make upload from iPad.

alvincullumyork
04-09-13, 04:26
Nice samples of each have traded hands on the Beretta Forum over the last year. In fact, there's a S/A only 92 Steel up for trade on the Beretta Forum right now.

Sent from my Proctor Silex Toaster Oven using Tapatalk 2.

Got a link?

GJM
04-09-13, 06:17

Pics pulled, holster not released.

BBossman
04-10-13, 16:16
Got a link?

http://berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=92825&highlight=steel

RAM Engineer
01-10-15, 00:06
Most custom holster makers can accomodate a G-SD. They may need to get a little creative with their model that they use to shape the holster. When the SD first came out, I asked Lou Alessi to make a leather holster for it. Of course he didn't have the exact gun but a little explanation on my part and Lou and his crew made it work. For example, they had a model for the Vertec and a model for the Elite series. So I told them that the SD is basically a Vertec with the Elite slide. Voila. Lou and his crew used the Vertec model and padded up the slide in the area where the Elite slide was beefier than the standard slide.

This was the result:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/17880ACP_002.jpg

I used it for the SD, Vertec and Centurion. It fit perfectly.

Sam, what model is that holster? I was looking around on their site and didn't see it specifically.

Sam
01-10-15, 07:57
Sam, what model is that holster? I was looking around on their site and didn't see it specifically.

That holster was the ACP.

RAM Engineer
01-10-15, 09:20
That holster was the ACP.

I see they have an option listed for Elite IA, but no G-SD. I guess I'd need to call them and see if that had enough space at the muzzle to accommodate the slightly longer G-SD barrel.

Sam
01-10-15, 10:16
I see they have an option listed for Elite IA, but no G-SD. I guess I'd need to call them and see if that had enough space at the muzzle to accommodate the slightly longer G-SD barrel.

Just ask them to make the holster for the E1A with the full length barrel. :-)

LHS
01-10-15, 13:55
https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10892009_10152660127892877_9123501719626948231_n.jpg?oh=8229fcf7f5d5d52992955a5fc41f411b&oe=556EFC58

Beretta USA just tossed this on their FB page. Looks like the SD is coming back!

Exiledviking
01-12-15, 18:59
I'm anxiously waiting to see what the selling price will be on these.

LHS
01-12-15, 19:54
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10923617_10152669494077877_2091356427987214921_n.jpg?oh=9b4b95b22f05c118e4b157d961e3cb26&oe=556A0BE6&__gda__=1429888752_952f03b7e02fb2de04e184c356586ae3

Another pic from BUSA of the upcoming re-release.

w3453l
01-12-15, 20:42
Did they happen to give a release date? Or at least a rough estimate of when they'd be available?

LHS
01-12-15, 21:06
Did they happen to give a release date? Or at least a rough estimate of when they'd be available?

Not as of yet, but I'd expect more details at SHOT.

Turnkey11
01-12-15, 21:17
What would be even sweeter is a factory threaded barrel option.

Sensei
01-12-15, 21:33
It is interesting how Beretta is bringing these out on the tails of Wilson's Brigadier Tactical release. I would think that this has a chilling effect as people wait and see the price point for these new guns.

Bret
01-12-15, 22:41
I think the price will be more in line with the limited run of regular Brigadiers that were recently released.

YVK
01-12-15, 22:48
I think the price will be in line of whatever maximum they can charge for them and still sell them. I think it will be more than Brigs.
I find it interesting that those box labels have a very visible print of "California certified lock".

Bret
01-12-15, 22:51
I'm in Georgia. A couple of pistols that I recently purchased came with California certified locks, so I don't think that really means much.

LHS
01-12-15, 22:54
I think the price will be in line of whatever maximum they can charge for them and still sell them. I think it will be more than Brigs.
I find it interesting that those box labels have a very visible print of "California certified lock".

My Brig Tac came with a 'California certified lock', but IIRC the actual 92G-SD is still on the California roster.

Exiledviking
01-13-15, 09:44
My Brig Tac came with a 'California certified lock', but IIRC the actual 92G-SD is still on the California roster.
Yeah, thankfully the 92G-SD is still on the California "Safe Handgun Roster".

L-2
01-13-15, 14:48
Deleted

greyman556
06-23-15, 18:24
It is an excellent pistol. I welcome the return of the Vertec also.

rojocorsa
08-10-15, 02:06
For some reason they're all over the place in the SF Bay Area and in So-Cal these days.

I pick mine up on Saturday.

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/11855645_10200825260271378_2597559874358158548_n.jpg?oh=30f0637cdd1bd422ba9e6cdfc120d635&oe=563657AD

Also didnt realize they were *that* rare and stuff.

w3453l
08-10-15, 11:55
Makes me wonder if there was more than "only 50" 92G-SD's sent to CA.

rojocorsa
08-11-15, 01:20
Makes me wonder if there was more than "only 50" 92G-SD's sent to CA.

I would think so. Especially since they can legally sell this but not the Brig-Tac.

That's why I got it. Pretty much anyone here with a Brig Tac isn't letting go (for obvious reasons).