PDA

View Full Version : Selector spring question

TheyCallMeGmoney
01-05-13, 17:53
So went to the gun show today and other then everyone wanting 30-60 Bones for pmags and insane amounts for ammo. I got a great deal on a magpul MOE+ grip. Question is instructions say when replacing new grip make sure you don't bend selector spring. Well it looks like it was bent when it was installed from factory. So I just put it back kinda bent, is this really a big deal I mean its just a little spring. Should I replace it? Thanks guys

michael word
01-05-13, 18:03
post pics to show how what you mean by bent and how it is installed.

Hmac
01-05-13, 18:08
I'd install it. If the selector has adequate detent tension, I'd ignore the crease in the spring.

In the meantime, I go cruise around at Brownells or Midway, pick up a couple of spring and detent kits to keep in the bag.

TheyCallMeGmoney
01-05-13, 18:19
post pics to show how what you mean by bent and how it is installed.

http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q754/Theycallmegmoney/image_zps4efaa175.jpg

glock_40_caliber
01-05-13, 18:21
It it worked without any problems before you removed the grip, it should work after being replaced. Unless it causes the detent to bind up where the selector seizes, I do not know of any reason why it would cause an issue. Put it in, install the new grip, and give it a try. If it works, use it until you can get a new one put in. If not, you aren't out anything for trying it.

Picking up an spare one or two might be an idea next time you place an order somewhere. Nice to have some of those small parts on hand.

TheyCallMeGmoney
01-05-13, 18:22
I don't know how it was installed b/c when I pulled the grip off it fell in my lap. But when I put it back in I put the bent end into the grip so the straight part went back into the lower receiver with the selector detent

TheyCallMeGmoney
01-05-13, 18:23
It it worked without any problems before you removed the grip, it should work after being replaced. Unless it causes the detent to bind up where the selector seizes, I do not know of any reason why it would cause an issue. Put it in, install the new grip, and give it a try. If it works, use it until you can get a new one put in. If not, you aren't out anything for trying it.

Picking up an spare one or two might be an idea next time you place an order somewhere. Nice to have some of those small parts on hand.

Great! Thanks for the help guys

Inkslinger
01-05-13, 18:27
If you reuse it, I would put the good end in the receiver and the bent end in the grip.The detent will probably seat against the spring better. Just my OCD.

TheyCallMeGmoney
01-05-13, 18:41
If you reuse it, I would put the good end in the receiver and the bent end in the grip.The detent will probably seat against the spring better. Just my OCD.

Well I put it back in now my safety selector freely changes from safe to fire without having a mag in it. And the selector detent is in place bc I took the grip back off just to make sure it's in there? Guess I'm screwed

Inkslinger
01-05-13, 18:45
It doesn't matter if your mag is in. If your hammer is back the safety will function.

TheyCallMeGmoney
01-05-13, 18:49
It doesn't matter if your mag is in. If your hammer is back the safety will function.

You are right I apologize I didn't even think about that. All good now, just gotta pick up a new one at some point. Thanks again

Inkslinger
01-05-13, 18:55
If you're new to the AR, do yourself a huge favor. Read through the "stickies" at the top of the different subsections. All of the no nonsense info that you will ever need will be located in those threads. Well some nonsense, but it's informative as well.

JSantoro
01-05-13, 23:02
just gotta pick up a new one at some point.

If you're gonna have any reason at all to either 1) swap pistol grips again, or 2) build a lower at any point....

....get three.

These things, and the detents they push against are prone to go zipping across rooms when being installed or otherwise handled. Ask us how we know.... :D

Between that and the fact that they're not even $2 ea., having a small stock of spare parts like that on hand is worthwhile.

eperk
01-09-13, 19:42
OP, I had the exact same problem on my first build. I put the bent end in the grip and reassembled. Never have had a problem. Don't sweat it.

Onyx Z
01-10-13, 08:34
mine is bent on both ends. it was like that when I first replaced the grip with a MOE. It shouldn't hurt anything as long as there is still tension on the safety, which there should be plenty.