PDA

View Full Version : Henry 22lr lever action

C-grunt
01-05-13, 19:55
I'm really considering buying one of these in the next couple weeks. Anyone have any experience good or bad with them?

7 RING
01-05-13, 20:30
I own the Frontier model and it's a lot of fun to shoot. It will only shoot in the same area code with Federal 36g bulk pack ammunition.

It is reasonably accurate with Remington GB 36g hollow point ammunition. It will shoot 10 shots inside 1" at 50 meters and inside 3-1/2" at 100 meters. It will shoot decent groups with CCI Blazer 40 RN as well.

You should be able to hit clay birds at 100 meters with regularity. Buy yourself a few boxes of bulk pack, pick up a couple hundred clay birds and have a ball.

lethal dose
01-05-13, 20:35
Great guns. Period.

LibertyNeverDies
01-06-13, 15:56
My buddy has one that I recently shot. Fun gun but absolutely no cheek weld.

Kain
01-06-13, 18:26
Have had one for years here, my dad bought it about 15 years ago, it is a very nice gun, reliable, accurate, and very fun to shoot. Thousands of rounds through the rifle without much issue. A very good investment. Need to add a Henry pump action to my inventory so it has someone to play with.

SunTzu
01-06-13, 18:59
Buy it. LOADS of fun!

Hmac
01-06-13, 19:00
I have a Golden Boy in .17HMR. It's a very pretty gun and a lot of fun to shoot. Certainly not the most accurate rimfire around, but OK in that department. They occasionally have cycling issues. You need to practice your cadence running the lever. Too fast and you'll get a jam. Customer service is good. Anthony Imperato is the owner. He'll talk to you or respond to your emails and generally bend over backwards to make you a satisfied customer.

Bear in mind this is not a top-of-the-line firearm in the construction material department. The receiver is Zamak-3 (pot metal) rather than aluminum or steel. Good enough for a rimfire, no doubt and I've never heard of one breaking.

If you're considering a Golden Boy, be aware that it has a much steeper drop-at-comb than the Frontier or varmint lineup. There's no real good way to scope it. The other models have a grooved receiver cover.

I'm assuming you're talking rimfire here. If you're looking at the larger calibers, can't help you.

C-grunt
01-06-13, 19:42
Thanks guys. The model I'm looking at is the low end model they sell at Walmart for 290 bucks. Sportsmans Warehouse has an octagon barrel model that I'm also interested in but I'm not sure if its worth the extra money to me.

I've asked this question a couple places and done some research and the only negative I hear is that they are not as well built as a Marlin 39 or a Browning. My uncle has a Browning and I grew up shooting my friends dads Marlin. They definitely are great guns but I can't find a used one around here at all.

7 RING
01-06-13, 20:02
Used Browning BLRs and Marlin Model 39s bring a premium in my area. I plan on shooting the rifle a lot and carrying it through the brush and woods, so I did not want to buy a higher end rifle and beat it up. That is why I opted to buy the Henry Frontier .22 LR with octagon barrel.

I have no regrets about buying the Henry. It is an accurate and reliable rifle. It is a lot of fun to shoot with iron sights and I also have the option of using a standard .22 rimfire scope setup or removing the rear sight and installing the Henry scope mount.

Buy the Henry, you won't regret it. If you can afford it, buy the Henry with the octagon barrel.

Hmac
01-06-13, 21:31
Thanks guys. The model I'm looking at is the low end model they sell at Walmart for 290 bucks. Sportsmans Warehouse has an octagon barrel model that I'm also interested in but I'm not sure if its worth the extra money to me.

In .17HMR, the non-octagonal barrel tends to heat up a fair amount. From what I gather, that's not a big problem with the .22 LR version so I'd guess you'd get by fine.

brickboy240
01-07-13, 15:54
My dad has a Golden Boy in 17HMR.

I kind of laughed when he bought it but now with some trigger time on the thing...I am not sure if I should have laughed.

First, it is a handsome rifle with a pretty good build quality and fit and finish.

Second, it has a heavy and long barrel that gives it heft and a decent set of open sights.

Third, the lever runs very smooth and the thing is very accurate. I have not shot it for groups but we sat out cans and pumpkins at ranges from 25 to maybe 70 yards and I had no problems hitting anything with the thing. dad busts varmints with the 17 often and raves about it's accuracy and the speed of the lever.

It might not be historically correct but it seems well made and really fun to shoot. Comes with a lifetime warranty and I hear their customer service is excellent.

So I don't know if I'd race out and get one...but they are definitely not crap and shoot very well. If it appeals to you...go for it.

-brickboy240

MistWolf
01-09-13, 08:02
My son has a Henry. He likes it better than the Winchester or the Marlin. It's been accurate with anything it's fed and has proven reliable. I don't care for the cheesy pot metal side plates on the action but that dislike is based more on cosmetics than anything
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/Henry.jpg

We got it for under $200 at some Wally World in Texas and it's been a good value

Hmac
01-09-13, 08:14
My son has a Henry. He likes it better than the Winchester or the Marlin. It's been accurate with anything it's fed and has proven reliable. I don't care for the cheesy pot metal side plates on the action but that dislike is based more on cosmetics than anything

The receiver itself is pot metal too, not just the receiver cover. Probably OK for a rimfire. I've not seen reports of failures, and if there were, there would be numerous angry reports over on rimfirecentral.com.

brickboy240
01-09-13, 11:05
A friend of mine took that "cheesy pot metal cover' off his Henry and removed the thick black paint and gave it a brushed finish. Looks more like stainless. He also did the lever. The rifle has a nice two tone look.

If the black receiver cover bothers you...you might consider doing something like that. The Henry with the brushed receiver cover is actually an attractive little rifle.

-brickboy240

Hmac
01-09-13, 13:44
A friend of mine took that "cheesy pot metal cover' off his Henry and removed the thick black paint and gave it a brushed finish. Looks more like stainless. He also did the lever. The rifle has a nice two tone look.

If the black receiver cover bothers you...you might consider doing something like that. The Henry with the brushed receiver cover is actually an attractive little rifle.

-brickboy240

Here's an image from rimfirecentral.com from a guy who did just that.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s48/sheriff160/Henrycloseup.jpg

bullitt
01-09-13, 14:28
I've had one of the basic Henery lever actions for a long time. It goes to the range with me every time. Even after an afternoon of shooting a suppressed SBR I still like to pull out my Henry .22. I shot it so much the firing pin broke in half. Henry paid shipping both ways and had it back to me all fixed up very quickly. They also gave me some misc. goodies for my troubles.

My only complaint is that the sights aren't very nice. the front post is too wide and the rear sight is a little flimsy. Newer models might have better sights, not sure.

In my opinion they are great guns for the price.

Andrew Jackson
01-10-13, 11:10
I love my Henry. I got the basic .22 and it is a blast to shoot.

El Pistolero
01-11-13, 22:45
I've had one of the basic Henery lever actions for a long time. It goes to the range with me every time. Even after an afternoon of shooting a suppressed SBR I still like to pull out my Henry .22. I shot it so much the firing pin broke in half. Henry paid shipping both ways and had it back to me all fixed up very quickly. They also gave me some misc. goodies for my troubles.

My only complaint is that the sights aren't very nice. the front post is too wide and the rear sight is a little flimsy. Newer models might have better sights, not sure.

In my opinion they are great guns for the price.

That's great to hear about their service. I bought one from Wal-Mart when I turned 18 for $254 and I've shot the living shit out of it, probably tens and tens of thousands of rounds of bulk pack fodder. Never had a jam, cycles smooth as butter, and very accurate. It goes to the range every time and is my favorite rifle for introducing people to shooting and everybody loves it.

RedXd
01-12-13, 00:32
I want one too!

juan916
07-14-13, 22:34
H001 threaded
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r142/juan916/IMG_1181_2.jpg

lethal dose
07-15-13, 01:58
H001 threaded
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r142/juan916/IMG_1181_2.jpg

Like a BOSS!