PDA

View Full Version : PMC ammo

Seth Harness
02-27-08, 17:38
Local gun shop has a bunch of it and I know nothing about it. They have two kinds, gold (black box gold writing) and regular I guess (white box red stripe). Can someone fill me in ; any good?

BTW- Im not a match shooter and if I shoot 3" @ 100yds Im happy. Then again I dont wont to clean some crazy-ass substance from my reciever either.

Deadcenter45
02-27-08, 18:40
I have some PMC ammo for my .270 - seems pretty consistent to me.

Seth Harness
02-28-08, 20:32
I have some PMC ammo for my .270 - seems pretty consistent to me.

Thanx for replying.

I was JUST told by the shop owner the difference between gold and the other is, the one I thought was original isnt that at all. Its casings are something other than brass. The gold series referse to them finally useing brass for their casings... Whatever. :confused:

I'll probably still buy it though. :D Its pretty cheap.

markm
02-29-08, 07:52
The PMC bronze (black and gold box) is OK if you run it in a carbine gas system. It short strokes in a rifle.

Robb Jensen
02-29-08, 08:04
The PMC bronze (black and gold box) is OK if you run it in a carbine gas system. It short strokes in a rifle.

I fixed my co-workers short stroking (w/PMC bronze) 20" Armalite by enlarging the gas port 2/100ths of an inch. His would fire and eject but not pick up the next round in the magazine nor would it lock the bolt back. Runs well now.

markm
02-29-08, 08:20
Won't that create over gassing when he runs good ammo?

I'd be reluctant to modify a gun to accomodate jookie ammo.

Robb Jensen
02-29-08, 14:49
Won't that create over gassing when he runs good ammo?

I'd be reluctant to modify a gun to accomodate jookie ammo.

No really since it's a rifle length gas system. It's less extra gas than shooting with a suppressor.

Seth Harness
02-29-08, 16:57
I fixed my co-workers short stroking (w/PMC bronze) 20" Armalite by enlarging the gas port 2/100ths of an inch. His would fire and eject but not pick up the next round in the magazine nor would it lock the bolt back. Runs well now.

I dont think I'll be opening up my gas port 20 thousandths just to shoot PMC ammo. Thanx for the reply though. Maybe I wont buy it.

Its always nice to hear from a fellow gun tinkerer. :)

markm
03-02-08, 08:34
You don't have to open your port if you're going to shoot it thru a carbean. If I found this ammo for cheap, I'd buy it.

But I am a little skiddish about having ammo in my stash that can't run a bean and a rifle.... As a reloader I find it's really not hard at all to come up with mild and hot loads that work on both systems.

I don't know WTF these foreign bannanas are using for propellant. :rolleyes:

Robb Jensen
03-02-08, 21:41
I dont think I'll be opening up my gas port 20 thousandths just to shoot PMC ammo. Thanx for the reply though. Maybe I wont buy it.

Its always nice to hear from a fellow gun tinkerer. :)

Hey I'm certified (or is it certifiable? to F-something up as a pro). :D

S-1
03-02-08, 21:56
The PMC Bronze stuff is very weak. I wouldn't waste my money on it when there is plenty of Privi out there to be had.

RogerinTPA
03-07-08, 18:48
The PMC Bronze stuff is very weak. I wouldn't waste my money on it when there is plenty of Privi out there to be had.

I dunno about that, but I have shot 1'1/2" 5 round groups with PMC Bronze 55 grain at 100yards with my Colt 6920 with EOTech, several times (10 5' Shoot and See targets on the same silhouette). There were a few post of some members having short stoke problems with it, but I haven't experienced it yet. I thought it was plenty accurate. Not up to M193 velocities, but I wouldn't discount it. I tested several kinds of ammo to evaluate accuracy and PMC was in the top 3 out of the 12 kinds tested. YMMV.

markm
03-10-08, 09:14
I like weak ammo for practice. To me there's no sense in shooting the hottest ammo you can (especially on the carbean gas system) when you're just drilling at close or mid range targets.

Also, with weak ammo, your silencer doesn't have to work as hard. (if you run a can)

That said, weak ammo has to be able to run in both the rifle and carbine. PMC doesn't do that.