PDA

View Full Version : AIWB / Holster help??

cotton617
01-06-13, 19:10
So I've been carrying a Gen 4 Glock 19 in a CompTac MTAC holster @ the 4/5 o'clock position for the past 6 months. I've tried to adjust and get comfortable but it just is not happening. The G19 is simply to heavy and too thick, also I don't think the 4/5 o'clock carry is for me. It's extremely uncomfortable driving and any other time you have to sit, especially say at a bar stool I become paranoid about my firearm being exposed and I find myself constantly checking to ensure my clothes are covering.

So the weight and size of the G19 have brought me to buying a PPS. I will be purchasing it tomorrow. Also, I am going to be in need of a new holster, and I think that AIWB should be given a try. Will this be a better position for driving and sitting? Also I will no longer have to second guess whether or not my weapon is exposed.

Holsters, I am looking for extreme comfort and extreme concelmeant. After a quick preliminary search I read a lot of positives reviews about the Fist #1ak holster. I looked into it and I'm not sure this is the route I want to go, the website and the whole ordering process seem suspect. I also stumbled upon a lot of negatives customer service stories with the company.

I then stumbled across High Noon Holsters, wow these look great. Does anybody have any suggestions in regards to choosing between the various models? Do I want high ride or low ride? Etc...
Is AIWB going to work better then behind the hip for me?

Thanks

Shawn.L
01-06-13, 19:14
If you want to go AIWB my suggestion is you get a Keeper

http://www.totalprotectioninteractive.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15433

Don Robison
01-06-13, 19:31
I carried a G21SF AIWB in a horse hide High Noon Hideaway for 2 years before switching to a Dale Fricke Archangel. If I were to go back to a leather holster it would be a High Noon Hideaway.

SunTzu
01-06-13, 19:35
What pistol belt are you wearing? Dressing to conceal sometimes requires buying new clothes and dressing differently. I'd look at Brommeland holsters (or something similar) for a leather alternative to the Comptac. I went from Comptac to a Brommeland and it was a world of difference. I have never AIWB carried so I cannot help you there. But a good pistol belt is a must for any IWB/OWB holster.

gtmtnbiker98
01-06-13, 19:37
Be selective with the High Noon, they carry very high on the belt. I owned a Public Secret and hated it. Simply way too high for AIWB.

JHova
01-06-13, 19:54
I would stick with your current 19 and experiment with different rigs before abandoning the platform after six short months. I have a High Noon Mr. Softy, it's very comfortable and conceals extremely well, but the draw is very slow due to how low the gun rides. I currently carry a g19 aiwb in a Raven VG2 and have no plans on changing. I can easily conceal a g17 in this manner as well.

cotton617
01-06-13, 20:16
Be selective with the High Noon, they carry very high on the belt. I owned a Public Secret and hated it. Simply way too high for AIWB.

They seperate their holsters from high rides and low rides, so I would be better off getting one of the low rides?

cotton617
01-06-13, 20:18
I would stick with your current 19 and experiment with different rigs before abandoning the platform after six short months. I have a High Noon Mr. Softy, it's very comfortable and conceals extremely well, but the draw is very slow due to how low the gun rides. I currently carry a g19 aiwb in a Raven VG2 and have no plans on changing. I can easily conceal a g17 in this manner as well.

I am convinced that I need a single stack. Also, I was looking at the Mr. Softy, why is it so much cheaper than the other holsters and why is this one not molded to your specific gun? Pros/cons of this?

Business_Casual
01-06-13, 20:20
Wow, a 19 is too heavy to CCW.

JHova
01-06-13, 20:54
I am convinced that I need a single stack. Also, I was looking at the Mr. Softy, why is it so much cheaper than the other holsters and why is this one not molded to your specific gun? Pros/cons of this?

I imagine it’s to make the holster more economical. It’s a very basic leather rig, I find less is more when carrying aiwb. Just remember everything is a trade off, low ride conceals better but presents slower. I find the pistol thickness less of an issue when carrying aiwb, the 19 disappears with no discomfort.

gillian_seed
01-06-13, 21:24
The Custom Carry Concepts "Shaggy" is an excellent appendix rig. I've been using it with my Makarov for some time now and it's very comfortable. Sitting, standing, running, doing handstand pushups (I actually can't do those :D), it works extremely well, and conceals under a T-shirt. Plus appendix is very fast to draw from. In my opinion it's the best way to carry a gun, and the Shaggy is an excellent way to do it. I just purchased a USP compact and I'll be getting a Shaggy for it too.

Granted, I've never tried any other appendix rig, but really I have no desire or need to, the Shaggy works.

If I get the chance tomorrow I'll upload some pictures of me wearing the Makarov.

Link to the site http://shop.customcarryconcepts.com/Shaggy-AIWB-SHG.htm

Cazwell
01-06-13, 21:29

Interesting. The high ride is exactly why I like them for AIWB.

Up1911fan
01-06-13, 21:59
My three most used holsters are a JM Custom AIWB, JRC CDA-AIWB and a Shaggy. You can't go wrong with those three. Other's I haven't used YET would be a Dark Star Gear, Keeper or 5 Shot SME.

Redbeardsong
01-06-13, 22:09

It's cheaper because it's made of cheaper split leather and not wet molded to the gun.

Pros: Cheaper; thinner

Cons: Flimsy; won't stay open for one handed reholstering; not wet molded to your gun for firm retention.

LightningFast
01-06-13, 22:30
Do yourself a favor and get a Dark Star Gear AIWB holster. I already have two so far, and am considering another one to replace my PPQ's Shaggy.

TAZ
01-06-13, 23:45
Do yourself a favor and get a Dark Star Gear AIWB holster. I already have two so far, and am considering another one to replace my PPQ's Shaggy.

Got any pics of the Dark Star Gear AIWB???

Dont have a huge amount of time behind AIWB carry, so take my comment with a grain of salt. I carry an MP9 in a JM Custom AIWB rig. No extra tuck, and I use the Kydex belt loop. I have also carried a G21, G19, MP9, 1911, USP45, HK45 in the MTAC or RCS Phantom for decades at the 3-5 position without issues. Even in TX heat. All of that in a 5 stitch Wilderness belt. The 19 is a no brainer to conceal with a good holster and belt combo, so Id try to stick to the platform, unless you want the PPS.

No matter what I carry at the 3-5 position, I find posture to be an issue. Slouch over and you can print the butt of the gun. Its just how it is. It will happen with a regular chair as well.

AIWB will bring a whole new set of concerns. Biggest of them is safety. an ND at 3-5 o'clock puts a hole in your ass. ND during AIWB puts you in the morgue. Its not for novice players or those who dont train regularly. When I switched I spent a couple of months doing nothing but training with an empty gun. Draw stroke, re-holster.... If you go this route, Id suggest the same thing.

I also do not find AIWB as comfortable as 3-5 carry. I have chalked it up to the fact that I dont have a decade of carry to allow my body to adjust to it. I also cant prove it yet, but I also think that it has contributed to my lower back pain.

Bulldog7972
01-07-13, 08:40
The Custom Carry Concepts "Shaggy" is an excellent appendix rig. I've been using it with my Makarov for some time now and it's very comfortable. Sitting, standing, running, doing handstand pushups (I actually can't do those :D), it works extremely well, and conceals under a T-shirt. Plus appendix is very fast to draw from. In my opinion it's the best way to carry a gun, and the Shaggy is an excellent way to do it. I just purchased a USP compact and I'll be getting a Shaggy for it too.

Granted, I've never tried any other appendix rig, but really I have no desire or need to, the Shaggy works.

If I get the chance tomorrow I'll upload some pictures of me wearing the Makarov.

Link to the site http://shop.customcarryconcepts.com/Shaggy-AIWB-SHG.htm

I'll second this. I've had several different AIWB holsers from various companys and IMHO the Shaggy is the best of the lot. If you do buy one, think about the "comfort leather backing" as an option.

R.P.
01-07-13, 10:48
I have been pleased with the Cane and Derby Pardus appendix rig. Carry a G19 in it daily. I find concealment to be a lot easier, and also driving is more comfortable with the gun more easlily accessible for me also.

About the only downside I have with mine so far is it is harder for me to bend over and tie my boot laces!

JSantoro
01-07-13, 11:02
Holsters, I am looking for extreme comfort

You probably shouldn't.

A pistol should perhaps be comforting, not comfortable. We're talking about the line that divides "I can carry it while knowing it's there, can draw it readily, without it being painful or impeding my movement," and "this sucks."

You want the former. Especially with AIWB, which is VERY much more specific to the user's body-type, holster placement, ride height, etc., than just about any other mode of carry. It's a gun in a holster, not a pair of slippers; like with armor, there's always gonna be some element of discomfort.

You don't want a soft-mouthed ANYthing for AIWB carry, and folks have already mentioned JMC and Dark Star products, the Shaggy (CCC's going full-time on holsters, so his stuff will likely be more available very soon....got that email today), the Keeper, others. As little as 2 years ago, there weren't nearly as many GOOD AWB holster-makers out there, so the bigger problem these days is choosing one, not finding a good one, any more.

I wanna try a solid loop, myself, so I'll be getting a JMC, most likely. Been bouncing between a Raven ACR and a C&D PIC (don't get the PIC, BTW...made it work, but it was a chore...not worth the labor it took, too much material to do what it dies, and it SQUEAKS), and while an ACR is stable as all hell, it takes up too much space under my waistband. I know of folks that have soft loops which work for them, but it's a no-go for me if they're less than 3" apart, so I'll be giving up on ease of install/removal to the belt for the sake of better stability with a solid-loop model.....and may yet go back to the ACR if I figure out I don't like that.

You'll be trading one set of complications for another, which is true of most anything. With AIWB, anticipate neding to squat vs. bend over, grunting a bit when you DO bend over because duh you're digging the butt of a gun into your gut, the area between your wedding tackle and your navel needing to get used to having a gun/holster there, holstering reluctantly so as to make sure you're not putting a pill in your boys or your femoral...

...which is effectively NO different than doing the same thing to prevent runing a pill along your IT-band on the outside of your leg, with a more traditional mode of carry....

Point being, AIWB is not just a matter of switching clock positions on your waist. That's just the BEGINNING. There's a learning curve and a "sweet spot" that you may not discover until the 300th .5" adjustment in some random direction....be prepared for that.

theblackknight
01-07-13, 11:08
I had a MTAC for my M&P for 4years. Switched this summer to a JM custom junk carry with same gun.

sent from mah gun,using my sights

montanadave
01-07-13, 11:08
And yet another vote for the CCC "Shaggy." I've got a couple of them for a Ruger LCR and a SP101. I certainly don't have the level of experience of many here but these holsters have worked quite well for me and wear as comfortably as I suspect is possible with this configuration.

And I see J. Santoro mentioned above that Rich Shaefer is making Custom Carry Concepts his full-time business so his products should be more readily available.

yfz
01-07-13, 12:24
You guys that use the shaggy, what belt attachments do you reccomend? Have you tried the other attachments that you do not reccomend? Thanks.

montanadave
01-07-13, 12:32
Both of my Shaggies have the kydex belt loop. I have not tried the other options. The kydex loop provides a very secure, stable attachment point.

yfz
01-07-13, 12:37
Both of my Shaggies have the kydex belt loop. I have not tried the other options. The kydex loop provides a very secure, stable attachment point.

Alright, I will give those a shot first more than likely. Thanks

One other question. Do you use the leather backing?

Trajan
01-07-13, 13:58
I would try either a VG 2 or an Dale Fricke Archangel (if you want a traditional type holster). A G19 is concealable in AIWB with the right choices. I've concealed a G17 AIWB in restricted zones with the VG2. (and I'm 5"11" 155lbs)

AIWB is very comfortable once you find the "sweet spot".

montanadave
01-07-13, 16:24
Do you use the leather backing?

Mine do not have that feature. Mine are several years old and, honestly, I don't recall it being an option at the time I purchased mine. If it had been, I would likely have given it a try.

temecula
01-07-13, 16:41
Try folks at X-Concelment- I have over 15 holsters ( custom) from them and the quality is top notch.

JSantoro
01-07-13, 16:45
And I see J. Santoro mentioned above that Rich Shaefer is making Custom Carry Concepts his full-time business so his products should be more readily available.

Yeah, here's the body of the email I received:

We are proud to announce our plans to make Custom Carry Concepts, LLC our full time venture. Up until now Rich has maintained a full time job with the Post Office and worked CCC as a side business. Opportunities have come up that are enabling him to quit his postal job, devote all of his time to making holsters and doing more of the custom work that he enjoys.
What this means to our customers is more availability of the holsters and potentially shorter wait times. There are also plans to be at Midwest gun shows and have products in some Ohio gun shops.
Going full time with the business is a huge leap of faith for us. We believe in this company and the products we produce. We take pride in the quality of our holsters and take pride in making sure our customers are completely satisfied. We ask that our customers show their support by telling your friends about us and remembering us when it comes time to buy your gun accessories.
As a thank you for your past support, we're offering you free Priority Mail shipping on any order over $100. Enter coupon code 313FrFR at check out. Offer good through March 10th.

Richard and Kristina Schaefer
Custom Carry Concepts, LLC
www.customcarryconcepts.com

Remind me, please....is the Shaggy's loop adjustable for cant?

SPQR476
01-07-13, 16:47
Raven VG2, Dale Fricke Zach, or Dale Fricke Archangel. I wear a 19 w/RMR and extended threaded bbl every day AIWB like that, unless I'm carrying a G17 w/RMR and G34 length Bbl or G21 w/RMR, in the same holsters.

montanadave
01-07-13, 16:57
Remind me, please....is the Shaggy's loop adjustable for cant?

Mine (with the Kydex belt loop) are not. There might be some more flexibility with the leather belt loops.

zacii
01-07-13, 20:23
I've got a Public Secret from High Noon holsters. It's a nice holster, but it does ride very high, and I find that the sweat guard is just in the way of a proper grip.

Been using a Dale Fricke Archangel with an M&P .45 for about a year now, and I wouldn't hesitate to get another.

I wanted to try a CCC Shaggy, or Looper, but I got tired of waiting for them to become available.

AIWB info (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?120-AIWB-%28Appendix-Carry%29)

goteron
01-07-13, 20:29
I carry an M&P9 FS with tlr-3, RMR, and threaded barrel everyday aiwb in a secrecy city aiwb holster.

Up1911fan
01-07-13, 23:06
Solid belt loop for sure. I've got leather backing on my Shaggy (plus the one I have on order now) and my JM, it's not on his site but he did it for me, doesn't hurt to ask.

black22rifle
03-11-13, 16:09
i will be taking my first course in a few months, two day level I pistol, and one of the requirements is a mag carrier for a spare magazine. i carry appendix and i currently just carry a spare magazine in my pocket. if you carry appendix where do you keep your spare? i was thinking about keeping it on my support side also appendix. i have no experience with mag carries, what do you suggest? i was thinking about keeping it comp-tac along with the two o' clock holster.

Littlelebowski
03-11-13, 16:17
Support side, around 8:30. You should not be carrying appendix if you are new to carrying.

twadsw01
03-11-13, 16:22
Honest question: what is the reasoning behind not carrying appendix if you're new to carrying?

black22rifle
03-11-13, 16:31
i have been carrying for about 4 years now this is just my first course ever. i used to carry in a MTAC at 3:00 and i thought that was the absolute best way but then i started appendix carry and have found it is much more comfortable. i actually use a raven vanguard 2 to carry but it is not allowed in the class so i plan on using the two o' clock.

theblackknight
03-11-13, 16:36
No extra magazine.

Littlelebowski
03-11-13, 16:38
Honest question: what is the reasoning behind not carrying appendix if you're new to carrying?

Femoral artery or testicles, pick which one you'd rather take a chance with shooting?

AIWB (appendix inside waste band) carry should only be implemented by an experienced shooter using a purpose built AIWB holster.

An untrained shooter doesn't know to make a hard break before reholstering, to angle on the weapon, and how to properly utilize certain weapons for safer AIWB carry.

Bad ****ing idea.

twadsw01
03-11-13, 16:43
Gotcha - misunderstood your first post then. I thought you were saying that AIWB was a bad idea even for someone who was not new to shooting (i.e., drawing safely from a holster, is educated on which holsters are best suited for which purposes, etc.), but happened to be new to CC'ing.

NeoNeanderthal
03-11-13, 16:51
Femoral artery or testicles, pick which one you'd rather take a chance with shooting?

AIWB (appendix inside waste band) carry should only be implemented by an experienced shooter using a purpose built AIWB holster.

An untrained shooter doesn't know to make a hard break before reholstering, to angle on the weapon, and how to properly utilize certain weapons for safer AIWB carry.

Bad ****ing idea.

Just started carrying AIWB this year, and couldn't agree more. I usually take off the holster and holster the gun then threat it back on. (pretty easy sense its right in front)

Would be very worried taking a class with a AIWB holster where i'd have to reholster frequently. I'm sure its a whole different game. As of right now i carry at 3 o'clock at classes and practice AIWB on my own at the range. (Finish up at the range with my concealed rig)

Any suggestions how to safely run AIWB in a fast paced class environment?

Obviously your not "speed holstering" but in situations where you've transitioned from a long gun, you kinda got to get the gun back in the holster quick to get your long gun back into action.

cgcorrea
03-11-13, 17:06
Support side, around 8:30. You should not be carrying appendix if you are new to carrying.

Same here; in a Ready Tactical or Kytex carrier. If you pull a Tex Grebner while utilizing this method of carry, you're done sir done.

Littlelebowski
03-11-13, 17:17
i have been carrying for about 4 years now this is just my first course ever. i used to carry in a MTAC at 3:00 and i thought that was the absolute best way but then i started appendix carry and have found it is much more comfortable. i actually use a raven vanguard 2 to carry but it is not allowed in the class so i plan on using the two o' clock.

Do you not understand why the Raven VG2 is a bad idea for a training holster?

That's a mediocre AIWB holster, also.

black22rifle
03-11-13, 17:26
yes i understand, since you cannot re holster at will.

RyanB
03-11-13, 17:41
When I carry in my VG2 I carry a 31 rd mag loose in my waistband opposite.

theblackknight
03-11-13, 17:44
to angle on the weapon,

Lean back!

Littlelebowski
03-11-13, 17:57
yes i understand, since you cannot re holster at will.

And the belt loop sucks and the weapon is not properly positioned. Not to mention that you don't still understand the true comfort until you buy a purpose built AIWB holster, not a cock ring for a trigger guard.

Littlelebowski
03-11-13, 18:02
When I carry in my VG2 I carry a 31 rd mag loose in my waistband opposite.

Words fail me.

Littlelebowski
03-11-13, 18:03
Same here; in a Ready Tactical or Kytex carrier. If you pull a Tex Grebner while utilizing this method of carry, you're done sir done.

The KYTEX mag carriers are the shit, aren't they?

Airhasz
03-11-13, 18:04

Ill be carrying soon, do you recommend IWB or OWB for first timer? Just asking because you sound experienced.

black22rifle
03-11-13, 18:05
And the belt loop sucks and the weapon is not properly positioned. Not to mention that you don't still understand the true comfort until you buy a purpose built AIWB holster, not a cock ring for a trigger guard.

how do you feel about the comp-tac two o clock?

Littlelebowski
03-11-13, 18:09
how do you feel about the comp-tac two o clock?

Never tried it. Looks not as bad as the rest of their stuff. I own and recommend Dark Star Gear, JRC Custom, and CCC Shaggy AIWB holsters. I have trained and competed using AIWB for a little over 5 years.

Littlelebowski
03-11-13, 18:11
Ill be carrying soon, do you recommend IWB or OWB for first timer? Just asking because you sound experienced.

Take a class with an OWB and then move onto IWB. Dark Star Gear sells holsters that can do both.

Airhasz
03-11-13, 18:14
Take a class with an OWB and then move onto IWB. Dark Star Gear sells holsters that can do both.

Thanks, I'll follow your advice.

Smash
03-11-13, 18:15
Any suggestions how to safely run AIWB in a fast paced class environment?

Obviously your not "speed holstering" but in situations where you've transitioned from a long gun, you kinda got to get the gun back in the holster quick to get your long gun back into action.

Not saying AIWB is a no go if you have a long gun for your primary but it has some disadvantages.

With a single point or 2 point sling if you let the long gun "hang" it's right on top of your gun/holster. Less than advantageous while drawing/reholstering.

Going prone with your long gun while wearing a secondary AIWB can be less than pleasurable. All depending on environment and body type.

As far as holstering to go back to primary...

At this point you've transitioned from your primary to your secondary because you've made the decision that you're in a situation where you need to get hits and you can do this faster by drawing and utilizing your secondary than reloading your primary. That secondary should not go back into the holster until your threat is neutralized. Then top off the secondary, reholster, regain your primary, reload, and you're back in the fight. Now there are certain situations where you may feel the need to go faster than other times reholstering to regain your primary but it doesn't mean recklessly speed holstering. You "should" have the necessary time.

cgcorrea
03-11-13, 18:22

Fo sho.

theblackknight
03-11-13, 18:23
not a cock ring for a trigger guard.

Pure gold. I just love shoving a hot barrel back in my pants.

sent from mah gun,using my sights

Magic_Salad0892
03-11-13, 18:48
I wouldn't recommend a Glock for AIWB carry either.

ESPECIALLY in a VG2 at a training class. That's all sorts of wrong.

4 O'clock OWB is win, in my opinion. If you do feel super compelled to carry AIWB, check out pistol-training.com, as Todd Green has written some good stuff about AIWB carry.

Trajan
03-11-13, 19:39
11-1130 in a Dale Fricke Archangel mag pouch. Available from Brownells for $30.

The VG 2 is a great holster, but not for a training class IMO (takes too long to reholster and no heat protection).

RyanB
03-11-13, 19:59
Words fail me.

Am I supposed to give a shit what you think?

I tried a 17 round magazine but it was uncomfortable. The big one is great. I go jogging in it.

ra2bach
03-11-13, 22:32

we've all heard of "Glock Leg". "Glock Dick" is at the trademark and copyrights office as we speak...

Littlelebowski
03-12-13, 06:38
Am I supposed to give a shit what you think?

I tried a 17 round magazine but it was uncomfortable. The big one is great. I go jogging in it.

I could care less but if you're throwing stuff out there like carrying a 31 round Glock mag in your waistband sans any form of retention, don't expect not to be ridiculed.

This is a public forum, we discuss things.

ryr8828
03-12-13, 08:04
My goal when conceal carrying a handgun, or carrying a rifle around my property for that matter, is to not have the muzzle pointing at me or anyone else no matter what position I'm in.

Having the muzzle of a gun pointing at my leg or my jewels is definitely not a consideration because accidents happen. Read about them all the time.
If that makes me a pussy, then I'm a pussy.

Littlelebowski
03-12-13, 08:06
My goal when conceal carrying a handgun, or carrying a rifle around my property for that matter, is to not have the muzzle pointing at me or anyone else no matter what position I'm in.

Having the muzzle of a gun pointing at my leg or my jewels is definitely not a consideration because accidents happen. Read about them all the time.

With a proper holster, the only danger is in drawing and reholstering.

Trajan
03-12-13, 11:22

Even at 4 o'clock, if you move your legs outwards, you're still flagging yourself.

Carrying a weapon on a two story or higher building also makes your goals impossible.

Littlelebowski
03-12-13, 11:23
The flagging argument makes so little sense.

RyanB
03-12-13, 12:41
I could care less but if you're throwing stuff out there like carrying a 31 round Glock mag in your waistband sans any form of retention, don't expect not to be ridiculed.

This is a public forum, we discuss things.

It's retained by my gut and belt. If it does slide down (like when jogging) the floor plate always catches securely on my belt. I can run a mile flat out and not lose it. I'm satisfied.

I rarely carry this way unless I'm going to be in a crowd. Appendix carry is very good for that as you can fold your hands in front of you and move through without anyone feeling anything.

Littlelebowski
03-12-13, 13:34
It's retained by my gut and belt. If it does slide down (like when jogging) the floor plate always catches securely on my belt. I can run a mile flat out and not lose it. I'm satisfied.

I rarely carry this way unless I'm going to be in a crowd. Appendix carry is very good for that as you can fold your hands in front of you and move through without anyone feeling anything.

Rock on then. I like to train with repeatability of motions in mind so I always have my securely retained mag in the same spot at the same height. We have different sets of priorities.

Land Shark
03-14-13, 08:41
If I may offer something here. I started using this method of carry about 2 years ago. Before that I carried IWB strong side. I faced some of the questions and concerns that have already been offered. Once I got over the mental part I was home free. I basically had to realize all the pros that this method offered. This method of carry is by far the most concealable, fastest, and easiest way for me on a daily basis. To reply to the OP I carry my spare at the 1 right beside my pistol that is at the 11 (I carry lefty).

Good luck and please remember to practice dry first before using this method.

Stay safe

LS

black22rifle
03-14-13, 08:58
can someone post comparion picks of the shaggy and archangel?

Trajan
03-14-13, 11:21
Thread from two years ago:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=85327

RyanB
03-14-13, 11:54
Rock on then. I like to train with repeatability of motions in mind so I always have my securely retained mag in the same spot at the same height. We have different sets of priorities.

When I carry AIWB its specifically to avoid having things hanging off my hips. Usually I carry a G34 OWB.

Littlelebowski
03-14-13, 12:18
When I carry AIWB its specifically to avoid having things hanging off my hips. Usually I carry a G34 OWB.

I don't even notice a 15 round mag snugly secure to my belt in a quality mag carrier.

Try buying an opposite side (left hand if you're a righty), Kytex mag carrier. Then clip it on, backwards, so that the mag carrier is weak side IWB, forward of your 3 o'clock or 9oclock, depending on what your strong side is.

black22rifle
03-14-13, 12:30
i just ordered a CDI PIC holster. i thought about ordering the CCC shaggy but i didnt want to wait 6 weeks, the CDI is only 2 weeks wait.

JSantoro
03-14-13, 14:49
In my case, in a Ready Tactical carrier....call it 9:30, perhaps even 10:00. Immediately forward of my left hip-point, primarily because it conceals most consistently well for me.

I'd actually carry it further forward, toward my centerline, but I've yet to run across any carrier that doesn't lean out from my body in a way that prints worse than my gun does in any AIWB holser I've used.

Hey, black, with that PIC holster, something to be aware of: The wing that's meant to provide for tucking the butt of the gun in board...it's only attached (on a RH holster) on the left side. Where it doglegs outboard on the right side (over the trigger-guard), that bend may squeak where it rubs on the main body of the holster.

I fixed it by simply putting a piece of Gorilla Tape on that contact point, in case you run across that circumstance; not saying you will....

black22rifle
03-14-13, 15:56
i have no idea what you're referring to since i cant really find any pics on it, the ones on the website dont show much. are you referring to the look snap right on top of the slide when the gun is holstered?

JSantoro
03-14-13, 17:08
I'll PM you a photo or link to one, or feed it to a different thread and zap you the link.

Tennvol12345
03-14-13, 18:29
i just ordered a CDI PIC holster. i thought about ordering the CCC shaggy but i didnt want to wait 6 weeks, the CDI is only 2 weeks wait.

Be aware that the CDI has a curve molded into it so you have to wear it closer to the side where the Shaggy is flat and you can wear it closer to your centerline. I tried the PIC and it didn't work for me since the position of the holster dug into my leg, went back to the Shaggy at 12 o clock and it's awesome.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

uwe1
03-15-13, 01:25
I wouldn't recommend a Glock for AIWB carry either.

ESPECIALLY in a VG2 at a training class. That's all sorts of wrong.

I've done the G19 AIWB with a VG2 during a class and I agree.... Not good. I changed holsters and mode of carry on TD2.

ryr8828
03-15-13, 05:49
Even at 4 o'clock, if you move your legs outwards, you're still flagging yourself.

Carrying a weapon on a two story or higher building also makes your goals impossible.

Never was able to do the splits and at 56 years old I'm not going to learn how now.

Next time I walk upstairs in a 2 story building with a wood floor I'll keep that in mind.

Smash
03-15-13, 08:12
Never was able to do the splits and at 56 years old I'm not going to learn how now.

Next time I walk upstairs in a 2 story building with a wood floor I'll keep that in mind.

He's bringing up the fact you say accidents happen. But accidents don't happen inside of a proper holster utilizing safe proper techniques. If one keeps their finger inside the trigger guard while reholstering or pulls the trigger while drawing,yes the gun is going to go off and I guess that makes one safer at 4 o'clock but if that's a consistent problem then maybe more training is due before carrying a gun anywhere in any position.

wvincent
03-15-13, 09:03
Has anyone tried the Desbien's reverse cant mag holder? http://www.desbiensgunleather.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/IMG_2292.jpg
I know SouthNarc did a show&tell on another forum about it. I think it shows a lot of promise, just not sure which belt I could make this work with.

Littlelebowski
03-15-13, 09:14
There's a reason that the Shaggy is backordered.

JSantoro
03-15-13, 09:51
This kinda devolved away from mag-placement, specifically...but I kinda helped do that by feeding info about the PIC, whether I rounded it out in detail by PM or not. :p

Merged with the most-recent AIWB-specific thread. It's related closely enough, I think.

One may also get some good info regarding carrying stuff in front of vs. behind the hips, in general (guns, lights, knives...STUFF), by reading some AARs from SouthNarc classes, and similar.

MrTips
03-20-13, 15:53
Try buying an opposite side (left hand if you're a righty), Kytex mag carrier. Then clip it on, backwards, so that the mag carrier is weak side IWB, forward of your 3 o'clock or 9oclock, depending on what your strong side is.

I was thinking of trying this very thing, but I wasn't sure if the clip would still grip the belt as well IWB since there's a layer of pant material in there as well. I take it you haven't had any problems with this config?

rathos
03-21-13, 02:27
Been using a Desbiens AIWB #4 for some time now. I haven't found a kydex one that was any bit comfortable. I carry a 4 inch M&P .45 in it and its pretty comfortable for AIWB.

http://www.desbiensgunleather.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/IMG_2559.jpg

black22rifle
04-06-13, 13:22
does anyone have a contact number for cane and derby? i ordered a PIC holster and its over one week late. their website does not have a contact number. i have sent two e mails and have got no replies, one about a week ago and one a few days ago.

HES
07-04-13, 12:04
Good thread. Been carring in a COMP-TAC Minotaur at about 10:30 (southpaw) for the past 5 years or so. While carring I sit, a lot. Be it at my desk or driving, there is a lot of sitting. Currently I'm not having a problem comfort wise with the Minotaur at 10:30. It's there, its secure, and no undue discomfort all day long.

I would like to switch to AIWB for a number of reasons. A big reason for me are back / pelvis problems I am having. I need to find a better position to carry in. I get what JSantoro was saying about the dividing line between "I can carry it while knowing it's there, can draw it readily, without it being painful or impeding my movement," and "this sucks." With that in mind I have one question. With an AIWB hostler (Dale Fricke Archangel, Raven ACR, etc..) do you find yourself able to sit for hours on end with the holster on or do you find yourself needing to remove it for those lengthy periods?

Having only just seen these mentioned and from only looking at the pic I just went "holy cow".

Just for the sake of clarity. I am a southpaw. So order a right side (weak side) pouch and then just clip it on the belt backwards to make it an IWB mag carrier?

black22rifle
07-04-13, 13:31
I can sit it all day long while carrying appendix. I carry in a CCC shaggy holster. I have been using a kytex mag carrier for about a month now and they are great and cheap also.

Trajan
07-05-13, 22:30
All day long AIWB for me. Way more comfortable than regular IWB. With a good belt (Ares Gear Ranger), you don't even feel the gun.

Captiva
07-08-13, 18:49
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa157/anonymous1965/File1/Frick1-1.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa157/anonymous1965/File1/100_0997.jpg

Watrdawg
08-02-13, 16:02
I purchased a G-Code Incog for my G19 a couple of weeks ago and the other night was the 1st chance I had to wear it. I had to ditch the holster. I think it's my body style. I'm short 5'5" and 175lbs. I only have a 30" waist and when I sit there isnt much room going down from my belt to the top of my thigh. After about 2hrs of sitting the inside of my thigh was killing me. I could even feel the pulse in my leg. I'm thinking that because of my body shape AIWB may not be possible in a sitting position. Standing it was fine and fairly comfortable. By the way the next morning my inner thigh was a bit bruised where the barrel and holster dug into it.

yfz
08-02-13, 16:16
Try moving the holster further away from 12 o'clock and more towards 1 or 1:30. When I first wore my shaggy it rubbed the inside of my thigh pretty bad because of where I had it positioned. With the belt attachment on the shaggy up against the belt loop on my pants I can sit for long periods of time and not be bothered. I don't know if this will help with the incog, but worth a shot.

Trajan
08-02-13, 23:38
I purchased a G-Code Incog for my G19 a couple of weeks ago and the other night was the 1st chance I had to wear it. I had to ditch the holster. I think it's my body style. I'm short 5'5" and 175lbs. I only have a 30" waist and when I sit there isnt much room going down from my belt to the top of my thigh. After about 2hrs of sitting the inside of my thigh was killing me. I could even feel the pulse in my leg. I'm thinking that because of my body shape AIWB may not be possible in a sitting position. Standing it was fine and fairly comfortable. By the way the next morning my inner thigh was a bit bruised where the barrel and holster dug into it.

You'll have to play with it for a few days and find the "sweet spot". 12:30 - 1 o'clock seems to work best for me. In between the equipment and the leg. Some dudes carry at directly 12 o'clock, but I'm not sure how that works being a dude....

That said, the Incog hasn't seem to received stellar reviews, so it could simply be that holster.

Desmond82
08-03-13, 07:30
Jm custom awib holster

Sweet spot in between 12 & 1 o'clock

RWH24
08-10-13, 23:05
PJ Holsters for the PPS

http://pjholster.com/?page_id=286

Five_Point_Five_Six
08-11-13, 01:11
Wow, a 19 is too heavy to CCW.

Yeah, who knew!

Anyway, as far as AIWB carry, I tried a regular single clip holster and it just didn't work. A true, honest to goodness, purpose build AIWB holster is the only way to go.