PDA

View Full Version : HK45c

FMJ5.56
01-06-13, 19:25
Im looking for a good conceal carry an also good rang gun. Ive heard the HK45c is a good handgun what are some of you thoughts on the HK45c?

gtmtnbiker98
01-06-13, 19:34
They are simply awesome, but the mags are expensive.

FMJ5.56
01-06-13, 19:39
Whats the price range on them?

gtmtnbiker98
01-06-13, 20:00
Around $60 on average. But the good thing, they also take the HK45 full sized mags that hold 10. Then you can also buy the 'Elephant Foot' 10-rounds mags with the huge spacer specifically designed for the HK45c. The HK45c is very versatile, more so than the full-size.

DanjojoUSMC
01-06-13, 20:02
Cheapest I have ever seen is $40 but usually around $50-60. If you are a little short on funds you can sometimes find a used USPc 45 with a few mags included for $750-ish.

FMJ5.56
01-06-13, 20:09
what about a brand new one im looking to get one when income tax comes in. i was gonna put money down on one at a gun shop where i live an pay ot off with income tax.

buckshot1220
01-06-13, 20:44
There is no telling what prices will be like come income tax time. There is a craze right now and anything semi-auto is fluctuating due to it.

In a normal environment you might expect to pay somewhere in the $900 range give or take for a new one with two 8rd mags and luminous sights (NOT night sights).

As for the gun, bombproof. Buy it, put real nights sights on it and run it.

125 mph
01-06-13, 20:53
I just got one right before all the craziness started. It's a great gun.

As far as magazines go, I can live with the price of them (it's not great, but oh well, the gun is worth it to me). The frustrating part is trying to find some. I'm still stuck with just the two that came with my gun.

If you have the funds, I highly recommend one. It's a very high quality and great handling pistol.

FMJ5.56
01-06-13, 20:59
what i plannes on doing is goin tomorrow to a local gun shop putting money down an pay off the rest when i get my taxes i just got a aimpoint today so im low on cash. so this was my plan for tomorrow cause my local gun shop does a 90 day layway an i can jus keep paying on it til i either pay it off or get tax money but they will have to order it cause none of the shops here carry them in stock.

RHINOWSO
01-06-13, 23:55
Love mine, it's a great gun. I have 10 mags and they ran @$50 each.

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx113/rhinowso/HK45C/9F57FA34-3408-4619-B3DA-8E8421CB8A73-19543-00000516827EA5BA.jpg

FMJ5.56
01-07-13, 00:13
is that that 45ct HK or jus the 45c? An so i woukd be in the good by putting money down on one tomorrow?

Hootiewho
01-07-13, 08:28
I'm a self proclaimed HK Fan Boy, that said the 45C is a great CCW option if you want a 45. You also get the benefit of the P30 fitting most all holsters that the 45c use should you change your mind or add to the stable. I do like a little extra stippling on the 45c though, nothing extreme, just a little.

Psalms144.1
01-07-13, 09:26
The team I was last assigned to converted from G19s to HK45CTs in early 2012. I was lucky enough to be there through most of the transition, though I left before we went operational with the pistols. These are my thoughts:

1. From a size perspective, the pistol if very similar to a G19, which makes the pistol pretty darned concealable, if you use flat-based 8-rd magazines in the gun. If you stick the 10-rounder in there, the grip length becomes a little problematic for concealment under light covering garments.

2. The pistols are CRAZY accurate. We had several shooters who were solid high-280, low-290 shooters (out of 300 points) with our G19s, who became 300 shooters on our qualification once we went to the 45CTs. During one training evolution, I watched my team's Gunny shoot 10 rounds at 10 yards into the head of a standard IPSC silhouette, and all 10 rounds went into a hole right at the 1" mark. This was standing, off hand shooting, not benched or rested in any way, and shooting plain old Federal AE FMJ fodder - not match ammo.

3. Our pistols are the NSW variant for trigger - DA/SA with a decocker only. Why in the world anyone would want that configuration is WAY beyond me - it's the worst of all worlds, IMHO. The DA pull on our guns varied from heavy to abusive - with my particular pistol giving a DA pull weight around 14 pounds. Needless to say, when we attended our first training course with them, and the course turned out to be dry-fire intensive, mostly in DA mode, my fingers and hands were WHIPPED by the end of the first day. The DA trigger is almost unworkable support hand only. SA trigger was decent - definitely not 1911 quality, but short, light and crisp enough for serious work. If I were picking up a 45C for personal use, I would either get the DA/SA with safety only - and run it cocked & locked; or get the TLG version LEM trigger. But, that's just one man's opinion...

4. WRT reliability, I checked back with the team recently, and they've put at least 5K rounds on average through the pistols in the last year, and have yet to document a single malfunction. I guess that's good enough for me!

5. The real achilles' heel for the HK45C (or any of the newer HK systems, IMHO) is lack of readily available, reasonably priced magazines, parts and accessories.
-There are VERY few people turning out quality leather for these pistols, due to minimal demand. You're likely to have to go the kydex route - if you choose this, I'd strongly recommend Contact Concealment
-NS options are limited; AFAIK, currently only Meprolight, Trijicon, Heinie and 10-8 are making sights (and the 10-8 is a rear, non-tritium equipped only). I have the Meprolight version on my P30, and, honestly, they suck. I pinged Ameriglo about the possibility of making "CAP" style sights for the P30, and they basically told me they had no intention of investing any time or money into a project like that.
-Lots of shooters find that the VERY long slide release lever on the P2000/P30/HK45/HK45C leads them to "ride" the lever with their strong hand thumb - and the "S" version of this part is rarer than hen's teeth, and will run you close to $100
-If you purchase a DA/SA model and decide to convert to LEM, it'll cost you well over $100 for the parts and labor to install.

6. I almost forgot to add - for some reason, the designers at HK decided to machine the pic rails on the HK45C starting very far back from the muzzle, and extending very close to the trigger guard. The result of this is there is no way to mount a "standard" size tactical light on the pistol - you're limited to "mini" lights. There's plenty of dust-cover space (it's nearly identical to the P30 in length), just one "slot" short of being able to mount a decent light.

So, to sum it up, it's an uber-accurate, super reliable, high-priced polymer .45ACP that you'll likely have trouble finding parts and accessories for. As much as I LOVE this pistol, if my agency would allow us to carry .45ACPs, I'd probably pass on it in favor of the M&P45...

Regards,

Kevin

Pittwm
01-07-13, 09:48

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx113/rhinowso/HK45C/9F57FA34-3408-4619-B3DA-8E8421CB8A73-19543-00000516827EA5BA.jpg

Looks like Graygun treated yours. Very nice

d90king
01-07-13, 10:05
NVRMND Waste of time...

ag08
01-07-13, 10:10
So, to sum it up, it's an uber-accurate, super reliable, high-priced polymer .45ACP that you'll likely have trouble finding parts and accessories for. As much as I LOVE this pistol, if my agency would allow us to carry .45ACPs, I'd probably pass on it in favor of the M&P45...

I can find most of the parts for a HK45c on hkparts.net right now but have yet to find somewhere that will sell M&P45 parts to me. S&W will sell the parts to one of their trained armorers but that isn't an option for me. Where can M&P45 parts be found? I've wanted one for a while but the lack of parts has me saving for a HK45c.

Shark
01-08-13, 00:21
Got around 1000 rounds down the pipe of mine. Love it. For concealability it's about the size of my G19.

FMJ5.56
01-08-13, 01:15
Was unable to purchase an HK or SIG p226, so I went with a Kimber Eclipse Pro II. Which is a badass 1911 its a 4 inch stainless slide very nice 1911 45 acp! What do you guys think in my purchase I made earlier today, well yesterday considering its 1a.m. where I live. But as far as conceal carry an run an gun like I love to do with my BCM M4? I plan on buying another slide solid black for run an run but keep the original badass slide on when Im carrying it?

FMJ5.56
01-08-13, 01:21
I aldo plan on when avavible getting an HK45ct for my range gun an run an gun combat training I like to do. Because every place my local gun shops order from were completely ouy of HKs an SIGs!!

Hootiewho
01-08-13, 06:19
The best trigger I have found was in taking a DA/SA HK45 & converting it to LEM. I believe I left the mainspring & firing pin block , but used the rest of the LEM parts. Super sweet trigger and a much shorter reset than the P30. Like Kevin said, the accuracy of these plastik guns is outstanding. My HK45 shot as good as my Springer Pro for half the cost.

Hogsgunwild
01-08-13, 06:34
Was unable to purchase an HK or SIG p226, so I went with a Kimber Eclipse Pro II. Which is a badass 1911 its a 4 inch stainless slide very nice 1911 45 acp! What do you guys think in my purchase I made earlier today, well yesterday considering its 1a.m. where I live.

Hmmmm, you could not find a H&K, so, you bought a Kimber......

Let me see (must scratch my head for a bit), what do I think....

:suicide:

Yes, that would be my personal opinion...:sarcastic:

jared91
01-08-13, 08:41
Was unable to purchase an HK or SIG p226, so I went with a Kimber Eclipse Pro II. Which is a badass 1911 its a 4 inch stainless slide very nice 1911 45 acp! What do you guys think in my purchase I made earlier today, well yesterday considering its 1a.m. where I live. But as far as conceal carry an run an gun like I love to do with my BCM M4? I plan on buying another slide solid black for run an run but keep the original badass slide on when Im carrying it?

I aldo plan on when avavible getting an HK45ct for my range gun an run an gun combat training I like to do. Because every place my local gun shops order from were completely ouy of HKs an SIGs!!

You sound like a fan boy who likes to brag about what he owns... Step away from the keyboard, and back into the english and lit classroom. You will soon find nobody here cares about your purchases, much less purchases of guns that arent liked on here for a reason.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

gtmtnbiker98
01-08-13, 09:03
Sorry to hear that you were impatient. A Kimber or 1911 for that matter is no HK45/HK45c.

buckshot1220
01-08-13, 09:15
Sorry to hear that you were impatient. A Kimber or 1911 for that matter is no HK45/HK45c.

My thoughts exactly.

Vegasshooter
01-08-13, 09:23
I'm sorry, I just have to say it: there is something fishy about this post/OP.

jared91
01-08-13, 09:28
I'm sorry, I just have to say it: there is something fishy about this post/OP.

X2.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

FMJ5.56
01-08-13, 10:47
No sorry not a fanboy just letting everyone know everyshop around can not order any HK or SIGS due to the whole gun band bullshit. They said it could be several months not just a few, they all said they havent been able to order anything! Hell i cant even buy ar magazines from where I live up to a couple hours from my residents. An I had several different handguns on mind that i was looking for one being Kimber not ****ing braging an not a fanboy, an ya Ive noticed on here no one likes Kimber. Well I know several people one being my brother in law whos an ex Marine that ownes 3 the 3inch, 4inch and fullsize and has never in the years hes shot an carried them has had any issues everyone talks about. Its kinda like ARs on here everyone hates DPMS but hell I own one and he also ownes one have been dropped an abused and have never had but maybe a few jams! But again not a fanboy I like many fireams unlike most on here who have to have that certain weapon that everyone else ownes on this website. Also my computers crashed so I use a phone.

DanjojoUSMC
01-08-13, 11:30
Could always have someone send it to your FFL. Past couple days saw a few more USP/USPc 45's for under $750 with a few mags. Not as refined as newer models, but basically still better than new anything else in 45.

Just test out the Kimber if it it's going to be the one and enjoy life if all works ok. There are $250 Bersa and Kel-tec pistols thay work 100% but we just try to stack odds in our favor. Not the same as picking a camera or TV set that has colors we like.

FMJ5.56
01-08-13, 11:58
Thanks DanjojoUSMC, I looked everywhere I could think of an even had them look guess just didnt look in the right place. But Ive been wanting one of the 3 outta HK, SIG an a Kimber 1911 so I got one I wanted while I could. Where I live right now guns an ammo are going like crazy hell cant even.get mags for my AR. But I do plan on getting a HK40ct as soon as I find one Ill prolly go to my local gun shop an have them look where you mentioned. Again thanks an I believe me an my bro in law will have a great time with our Kimbers! Also I noticed USMC in your name Thanks for your service! I tried joining while in highschool 5 years ago an was under weight at my height at that time waited about a year gained the weight an ended up wrecking my dirtbike in a state race an tore two muacles in my back an my spine is seperated in two places so that kept me outta the MARINE CORPS it was heart breaking. But again thanks!

zanek05
01-08-13, 12:04
I've owned 2 Kimber ultra carry's, still have a CDP II, never had a malfunction with either one, both would feed any hp design, but I've never used one as a carry gun, have always trusted HK, Walther, or Glock's for that role. Kimber is trashed alot all over the web, seems you either get one that works or one that doesnt. You read about tons of issue's with glock pistols, especially the newer ones, yet people continue to buy them and hope they get a "good" one.

Gramps
01-08-13, 12:13
FMJ5.56
You asked on here. They will give you their "Opinion", which is often backed by knowledge and experience. Don't get bent over some responses, their just trying to give you some sound advice usually. Sift thru it, and make your decision then. Just don't expect to come here and brag about what you have or do, and get responses you don't like, take them with a grain of salt, and learn from them, or let them roll off, BUT above all, learn what you can here. There is a lot of knowledge from some of those with high post counts. You will come to find out who those are as time goes on. I have the 45c and I love it. BUT, I don't have a high round count thru mine yet, so it isn't a very good for me to say, "Oh hell ya, I haven't had any problems with mine", because it hasn't had 1000+ rnds thru it yet. The reason I purchased it, was I researched it out, and even though I didn't have much $, I decided NOT to get impatient, and went with "Buy once, Cry once". It was sort of funny when I bought it, because I had to get rid of around $200 worth of coin to make the deal, and we had it all laid out on the table in their office just to count and verify all the nickels to quarters.
Don't be afraid to come here and ask some questions, just don't get upset if you don't get the answers you wanted, because if all you are looking for is for everyone to agree with you, then don't bother.

cdunn
01-08-13, 14:32
wow..just wow, a kimber over a 45c wow.

FMJ5.56
01-08-13, 14:51
A Kimber eclipse pro 2 is a compact 191145acp looks like some dont have knowledge on Kimbers. I also have a Glock 23 which ppl complain about but havr ran thousands of rds no problems. Guns are tools sometimes they fail, but as ive been saying im not bragging on what i own! Ive heard about Kimbers fails but know ppl who own them who have had them years an no problems.

Hogsgunwild
01-08-13, 16:09
I had two Kimbers about 15 years ago. Generation one Compact and a 3"CDP. They were very reliable and I shot the Compact a lot for a few years. My gunsmith pointed out the quality on a stock Colt before he built it up for me and I never looked back at the Kimbers. You could also see the quality difference, and I lost any desire for a Kimber.

Kimber mass produces 1911s, so, there are a LOT of good ones and a LOT of lemons. You usually tend to hear about the lemons and this is why you hear about so many Kimber haters. Mass production is not conducive to quality in 1911s.

Psalms144.1
01-09-13, 12:03
A Kimber eclipse pro 2 is a compact 191145acp looks like some dont have knowledge on Kimbers. I also have a Glock 23 which ppl complain about but havr ran thousands of rds no problems. Guns are tools sometimes they fail, but as ive been saying im not bragging on what i own! Ive heard about Kimbers fails but know ppl who own them who have had them years an no problems.FMJ - congratulations on your purchase. I sincerely hope it works out well for you.

The reason you got a generally negative response to your announcement is that a lot of the folks on this board know A HELL OF A LOT about 1911s in general and Kimbers in particular, not just having one friend who likes them and has had good luck. Those people are just trying to tell you that there are things you should be concerned about, if you're going to use your Kimber for serious business. You can learn from their collective wisdom, or act like someone who belongs on Glocktalk angrily defending their favorite pistol against any criticism.

The choice is yours.

Regards,

Kevin

Hogsgunwild
01-09-13, 20:35
Kevin is exactly right. I still remember about 15 years ago, reading Kimber's catalog with all of the cool pictures of their shinny 1911s thinking "why would anyone pay for a Wilson when they could have one of these for half of the price?"

Insert your gun of choice in place of the Wilson, but, it is oh so clear to me now why one would pay more.

50cal
01-09-13, 22:57
I just purchased a HK 45ct as a xmas gift for myself. Good to know I made such a wise decision !:D

buckshot1220
01-09-13, 23:19
I just purchased a HK 45ct as a xmas gift for myself. Good to know I made such a wise decision !:D

Did you get out and shoot it yet?

Grab some mags if you didn't already. hkparts.net is a great source for many parts and Adam, owner or manager can't remember, is also a great guy to deal with.

TriviaMonster
01-09-13, 23:27
The more 1911s a company produces means the worse they are. Kimber makes a shitload of 'em too. On that note, some companies seem to do a hair better like Colt and Springfield namely for guns in a similar price range. 1911s are kit cars, parts matter as much as the mechanic.

Congrats on the purchase though. I don't like Kimbers but many have had great luck with them and I have seen a couple that were junk that were saved by the owners throwing a bunch of cash at a man named 'smith.

Enjoy the gun and post an update when you get 1k rounds through it.

Its funny how we never traded a little bit of freedom of religion after the Jonestown Massacre.

50cal
01-09-13, 23:30
No, we have just moved into a new home that I have been working on for 3 years and am putting the finishing touches on if there is such a thing as finishing. The good news is we are out in the country and all the nieghbors are active shooters.

brickboy240
01-10-13, 11:18
I recently held and examined the HK45C and liked it a lot. About the size of my G19 and I really like this size of pistol.

The full size HK 45 feels like a typical HK pistol - thick chunky and blocky....no thank you. The compact is just right. 8 rounds ought to be plenty.

Thinking of trading my SIG P220 and Kimber towards the HK45C.

Since it does not hold over 10rds...I should not have too hard of a time finding one or mags....right? Prices on this pistol seem to be in the 1000 dollar range.

-brickboy240

RHINOWSO
01-10-13, 14:08

For those who have asked, this a HK45C, not a CT. Although I do have a HK threaded barrel for it and am waiting for my Tirant 45 Form 4 to finish up (about 3 months left, if they come back like my 2 Form 1s last week, which were right at 6 3/4 months door to door).

I bought it local, LNIB for a good price, had 78 rounds down it and was stock DA/SA with decocker/safety. Converted it myself to Light LEM, then once I determined I liked LEM, it went to GGI for their Reduced Reset Carry Perfection Package and Heinie Straight 8 sight installation. Took about 12-14 weeks to get done, but 10 of those weeks were waiting for the sights to get in from Heinie, so that time isn't an indication of typical GGI turnaround. My P2000SK and P30 were back in less than 3 weeks for the same treatment.

It's a laser beam, without a doubt my favorite 45. I must have 1500 rounds through it now, maybe more. No malfunctions of any kind, hasn't been cleaned in at least 500 rounds. And when I do clean it, that is typically a wipe of the feed ramp, wipe and relube of the rail inserts, function check and back at it.

I use 8-rd mags exclusively - 5 w/ flat bases, 5 with the finger rest. I CCW with a finger rest in the weapon and flat reloads. I just find that with the slick grip of the pistol, especially compared to my P30, I can control the weapon better in rapid fire with the finger rests. I tried 10 round mags, both with and without the elephant foot - shot USPSA once like that. They work fine, I just don't like the extra space it takes, would never carry it like that (either in the weapon or as reloads), so I sold the 6 or 7 that I had and bought some more 8-rd and other mags I needed at the time.

Again, its a great fun - if I could only have one gun, this would be it. I EDC a HK P2000SK and my HD pistol is the P30, both LEM - the HK45C is kind of the swing pistols, it can do either role if I want it to.

The only downside of the weapon has been previously mentioned, the way HK did the rail for the weapon does limit the weapon lights it can take easily. But other than that, I really can't think of a negative aside from the price of mags - which is standard HK, especially their 45 ACP mags (USP and HK45 lineup). But they mags and weapon are built to last, so you get what you pay for, as is often the case in life...

brickboy240
01-10-13, 14:25
The HK mag price does not scare me. Hell, I have paid 40-45 buck apiece for German made SIG factory mags. 50 is just not that much more. Besides, if they are built like Glock mags or SIG mags....they will last a long time.

I really liked the size of it - about like the G19. Never cared for the grip of the USP45, although the USP9/40 fit me pretty well.

-brickboy240

RHINOWSO
01-10-13, 14:31
The HK mag price does not scare me. Hell, I have paid 40-45 buck apiece for German made SIG factory mags. 50 is just not that much more. Besides, if they are built like Glock mags or SIG mags....they will last a long time.
In my subjective opinion, they are better than Glock and SIG mags.

But neither my SIG or Glock mags have failed me either.

brickboy240
01-10-13, 15:46
I have three Glock 17 mags that I bought new in 1994 and they still run fine. I am sure HK mags are quality.

I just hope I can FIND an HK45C. I think since it is not a hi-cap pistol...I should be able to find one locally.

RHINOWSO
01-10-13, 15:53
I have three Glock 17 mags that I bought new in 1994 and they still run fine. I am sure HK mags are quality.

I just hope I can FIND an HK45C. I think since it is not a hi-cap pistol...I should be able to find one locally.Be ready to buy more HKs then, they are very addictive.

Good luck with your search!

brickboy240
01-11-13, 10:19
Actually, I have had several chances to replace my G19, G17 and SIG P228 with the USP9 and USP9C.

Can't do it. I am too "married" to the Glock 9mm platform.

The HK45C is a different animal, compared to my 45s (4 1911s and a SIG P220). It is the size of my G19, high quality and probably less finicky than most "commander-sized" 1911s. the HK45C's grip is better than the G36 or G30 as well. I like the HK45C's trigger versus the M&P45 and most other d/a-s/a 45s....including my own P220.

In fact, the P220 and my Kimber will be going away to fund the HK45C. I probably should keep the Kimber, though. Reading the posts here....I bought the only Kimber that actually runs! LOL

Also, if we DO get a hi-cap mag ban, the HK45C is not in the crosshairs and mags should be easy to find and it might become more popular when the hi-cap 45s go away.

Still cannot believe I am going to plop down a grand for a plastic 45.

-brickboy240

Kenneth
01-11-13, 10:26
I have a full size HK45 and I have thought about selling it multiple times but just can't do it. I kinda wish I would have gotten the C model. Yes the mag prices are high but once you get several they should last.

brickboy240
01-11-13, 11:31
Is it just me but the HK45C seems more like the P2000 in the grip than the USP?

It feels TONS better in the hand than anything in the USP line up. Better than the full size 45 as well. I actually thought the full size was more typical thick and chunky HK-like than the compact.

Maybe the HK45 full size is better suited for bigger guys with huge hands and I am sure it is a quality piece...just not for me.

The HK45C just felt right to me...versus most polymer 45s.

-brickboy240