PDA

View Full Version : Canning produce, specifically corn?

twistedcomrade
01-06-13, 20:53
Hi guys, looking for an answer on canning corn. My wife and I bought a canner from Lehman's last year that can accomadate up to 14 quart jars at once. We bought this size so we could more effeciently can the produce we grow, heavy on the green beans and corn (cream style). The recipe book that came with our canner states that cream corn can only be canned in pint jars, not quarts. Several old timers that I have talked to who used to can a lot say they always canned cream corn in quart jars. I've performed some net searches on the subject with mixed results so I was hoping to hear from someone with first hand experince. Thanks for any help.

SunTzu
01-06-13, 21:05
Corn is one of the lowest acid foods you will can. It is also dense. Canning is going to take a long time even with pints. That is why most people avoid canning quarts and the books recommend pints and half pints for creamed corn.

I would google Canning Granny and if you are a Facebook user find her on their as well. You will find several resources for canning on her blog and on her Facebook page. I'm going to be canning venison and storebought meats this year.

A brief article on canning corn...

http://www.ochef.com/1169.htm

twistedcomrade
01-06-13, 21:28
Thanks Sun, I will definitely take a look at Granny's site.

PA PATRIOT
01-06-13, 22:42
I do whole and creamed corn in pints as it tough to eat a whole quart jar once opened in a few days. Now some will freeze what was not immediately used but the corn just seems to lose its texture in my opinion but everyones taste is different.

twistedcomrade
01-07-13, 08:46
I do whole and creamed corn in pints as it tough to eat a whole quart jar once opened in a few days. Now some will freeze what was not immediately used but the corn just seems to lose its texture in my opinion but everyones taste is different.

Yeah it looks like I will be sticking with pint jars. I will look at other recipes other than the book that came with my canner. It calls for green beans to go for 24 minutes at 10 lbs pressure IIRC. That makes the beans very mushy. Thanks for the input.