PDA

View Full Version : Weld spring tension and accuracy

antlad
01-07-13, 00:04
Tried searching but came up short on specifics.
I understand there are variations in weld spring tensions from rifle to rifle but my question is will a 'stiffer' spring have an effect on accuracy and so called barrel whip? I'm currently running a moe middy on my BCM lw 16. The spring has the lightest tension I have ever seen on an m4. This is a good thing as far as I'm concerned as removal of hg's is a breeze. I'm contemplating changing my exps to a variable 1-4 and possibly a ff tube. Logic would seem to dictate that variations in tension would effect barrels especially with lw profiles. Fwiw I plan on shooting match handloads at max 300 yards with this setup. I've seen vuurwappen's videos on barrel whip but there was no comparison among non-ff rifles with different weld spring tensions.
To some it may seem like I'm splitting hairs but I'm bored, out of beer and the wife is making me watch dowton abbey. No offense to anyone who watches this show but I would rather jamb a fork in my ear than listen to these babbling British douchbags.

7 RING
01-07-13, 01:30
If there was a market for different tension weld springs to enhance accuracy, I would think the vendors would already be selling them. I am curious what the high volume match rifle builders have to say.

eodinert
01-07-13, 07:27
Weld spring? Is that the spring behind the handguard retainer?

I think people who care about accuracy don't even have one of those.