PDA

View Full Version : Mid-Length Build Advice Needed

Raiden
02-27-08, 22:46
I've been brainstorming my ideal AR. I've never owned one, but I've shot and handled a couple of different configurations. I'm looking for a straightforward reliable KISS-ish rifle, as close to mil spec as possible, that isn't made by people who cut corners. I'm not kicking down doors for a living, but I'd like a basic rifle serious enough for classes/competition and home defense, zombie invasion, or a sudden massed attack by Hezbollah's North Texas chapter, in addition to general range playtime. Cosmetically and ergonomically speaking, I kind of like the carry handle, and deferring to technical reading and my limited experience, I prefer the mid-length to the carbine.

Budgetary concerns dictate that I'll be buying this thing piecemeal. I've just sold my AK which will pay for some things now, but even if off-the-shelf rifles had exactly what I'm looking for, I'd still have to save up, because some of the AK money will be going to domestic outlays. I'm not averse to acquiring used assemblies to save money. I also like to tinker and build things, so I don't mind putting something together on my own between now and November.

Upper: I was thinking of a Sabre Defence 16" flat-top, factory assembled. I'd eventually want to put a Vortex on the hot end.

Bolt & Bolt Carrier: BCM.

Lower: Either a complete LMT with 6-position stock, or buy a stripped Stag lower and LPK and put it all together on my own with an LMT stock (I recall reading somewhere that LMT's 6-position stock is considered a bit tougher and better-built than others). The Stag self-assembly route is cheaper, it gives me hands-on knowledge of the internals, and I admit that I'm partial to the logo, all other things being equal.

My questions:

- Is it possible to get a factory Sabre Defence upper without the bolt carrier assembly? Or would I be better served by just using their bolt & carrier instead of buying a BCM assembly separate?

- Where/how do I get a factory-assembled SDI upper without getting hosed?

- Is there anything about LMT lowers that stand out over Stag lowers? For example, do LMTs have a better trigger or better quality parts than the Stag?

- Is LMT's standard six-position stock better made than other brands?

- Are there any obvious flaws in my plan - like would I be better served by just saving up and buying a used 6920?

Thanks for any advice.

UVvis
02-27-08, 23:42
Raiden, I think you are on the right path to a good middy gun.

- Is it possible to get a factory Sabre Defence upper without the bolt carrier assembly? Or would I be better served by just using their bolt & carrier instead of buying a BCM assembly separate?
You could always sell the carrier it comes with, or see if you can request an M16 carrier and get it staked. I wouldn't worry about replacing everything off the bat. A complete mid length upper I purchased from Talon Arms looked test fired from the company. Except for changing out to an M16 carrier (it came with an AR15 type) everything has been working well so far.

I'd contact PK Firearms or Talon Arms. I've purchased SDI stuff from both places and been pleased with the interaction.

RAM Engineer
02-28-08, 06:05
Or, you could go ahead and buy the BCM and keep your stock BCG as a spare.

dublin
02-28-08, 11:09
My questions:

- Is there anything about LMT lowers that stand out over Stag lowers? For example, do LMTs have a better trigger or better quality parts than the Stag?

- Is LMT's standard six-position stock better made than other brands?

- Are there any obvious flaws in my plan - like would I be better served by just saving up and buying a used 6920?

Thanks for any advice.

Interestingly, I'm in a pretty similar situation. I've gone one step further and have already purchased two stripped lowers and an upper made by Mega. My intent is to buy a completed upper for one of the lowers and the other, I'll build from scratch. I too have been looking at the Sabre lineups for uppers. PKfirearms.com and talonarms.com both carry Sabre Uppers completed. And I believe both can sell it to you without a BCG. Unfortunately both are currently sold out of the mid-length design :( but I'm not in a huge hurry for it. I'm so new to this whole AR world that I can't possibly answer your other questions with any personal experience. Just thought I'd give you a few leads on where to find what you were looking for. Good luck!
Cheers,
cc

Raiden
03-09-08, 15:15
Update: My Sabre upper should be here from Talon Arms in a week. :D

I think I'm going with a complete LMT lower w/ standard stock, and a BCG from Noveske. Would there be an advantage to running a carbine buffer in the LMT or should I use an H-buffer?