PDA

View Full Version : Special Ops Tactical uppers

FriggetyFrak
01-08-13, 09:44
Forgive me if this has been covered, but I searched to no avail (which in and of itself is keeping me hesitant on this upper). They claim 4150 steel for the barrel, and a "mil spec" bcg. No mention of MPI or HP testing. This brand is an unknown to me, and I have no desire to play guinea pig. I already have a complete rifle, so I am in no particular rush on this. My current upper is has a stainless steel barrel, and I have been wanting to get a CL upper for a while now. It would probably end up becoming a complete second rifle. I am on the email notification for several BCM uppers, which would be my first choice. I would also go for a PSA with the FN barrel. Basically, I'm just trying to see if anyone has any first hand experience with Special Ops Tactical. In the absence of hearing about positive experiences with this product, I'll just hold off for a known quality piece. Any help here is greatly appreciated.

http://www.specialopstactical.com/uppers-carbine/47-16-carbine-upper.html

Bigkrackers
01-08-13, 19:27
Their bio states that they have been making AR parts for many years world wide. Maybe they just moved their HQ to FL from some other state or changed their name because the state of Florida has them starting up the super cool Special Ops Tactical LLC in January, 2011.

Iraqgunz
01-08-13, 19:34
I would be very cautious.

mastiffhound
01-08-13, 23:32
I recently went looking for a less than normal upper (20" A4gery) less than 8 months ago. I didn't want a stainless barrel, I wanted chrome lined in heavy or government profile. I wasn't willing to compromise on that. I also wanted as mil-spec as possible. I really wanted to go BCM but they never had what I wanted in stock. I looked at Model 1 Sales, RGUNS (Rock River BCG that I didn't like), Rock River (last resort), Special Ops Tactical, Palmetto State Armory and about 100 others. I ended up with a PSA upper and I'm very happy.

Special Ops Tactical was a place I had never heard of and neither had anybody else really. PSA told me everything that was going into my upper including the FN sourced barrel. They also had alot of good reviews from members of two different forums I frequent with few that were unhappy. PSA hasn't been making ARs for a super long time and don't really advertise like BCM. They do have a better rep than most other newcomers though.

I know things are hard right now but you should set a minimum quality for yourself to follow, then don't go below that. If a company that builds AR's doesn't list parts, quality, or testing that they use or perform then be wary of what they sell. It only takes a few minutes for them to do this,when they don't stay away. Special Ops Tactical could just be throwing crappy BCG's in hesse/blackthorne uppers. Many new fly by night companies have started up recently. Be careful and good luck.

Five_Point_Five_Six
01-09-13, 01:57
Caveat Emptor.

NoveskeFan
01-09-13, 04:16
I'd buy known quality-used from someone here in the Equipment Exchange before dropping money on that.

FriggetyFrak
01-09-13, 04:59
Thanks for your replies. I'm going to hold off and wait for BCM, with PSA as plan b if I absolutely cannot get my hands on the BCM. I do have a minimum standard in mind, and there's no rush so no desire to cut corners. I can't bring myself to drop the cash on something with so little real world use. I'll make sure to keep an eye on the EE.