PDA

View Full Version : Backpack hunters?

J-Dub
01-08-13, 10:23
Are there any backpack hunters around?

Im looking forward to attempting a backcountry backpack hunt in 2013.

Probably archery elk or mule deer.

Post up some pics! I'd love to hear some stories and/or advice.

FlyingHunter
01-14-13, 20:13
Backpacking hunter here. A couple of pointers I'd offer.

Get in great shape. Train with your pack and rifle (and sidearm)
Learn to use both:dedicated GPS eg Garmin AND use of map/compass

Get a great pack. I use BullPacs from Montana, helps pack meat out.

Gore-Tex socks = expensive but worth it. Wet boots day after day...

Have a skill set or get it to carefully cape the hide = taxidermy mount

Take alot of pics, use a timer so your in them!

If going solo, have a careful itinerary with timelines to friends/family

Build a smart but lightweight medical kit

Practice shooting with an elevated HR eg. was hiking and saw game

Cover the barrel with electrical tape, keeps rain, dirt etc out

Stretch your body before and after each day, low back, hamstrings...

Study the topo maps before going, laminate them as well

Get a better than average water filter to stay well hydrated

Have fun!

J-Dub
01-15-13, 15:28
Thanks. I workout almost daily, all be it I need to pick up the cardio.

I bought a USMC ILBE for use as a pack. I'll probably buy an assault pack for day use.

Right now Im thinking of using a bow (atleast until rifle season opens). And not a compound, i'd like to use a recurve.

Thank you again for your info and opinions, lots of good stuff there.

FlyingHunter
01-15-13, 17:33
That pack should work fine. I use waterproof bags x 4. Under the load bearing shelf of the pack, to enclose my tent, tarp, sleeping bag, and roll pad. That's the bulkiest of the H20 packs. Bottom pack sitting on the shelf is food, stove, and cooking gear. Next pack up, clothes. Top pack is my first aid, survival gear, hunting gear inc hydration bladder and purifier.

Here's a mistake I made...once: Used my top pack as a day pack and left the pack frame at base camp. Lightweight, more mobile, more comfortable, generally a great way to go UNTIL I killed a caribou (solo in Alaska) about 5 miles from base camp. Sooo, a long slog back to get the frame pack so I could start the meat pack out.

Lastly, never leave your survival pack or gun. Sounds simple. My point is...I know of actual cases where hunters died because they dropped their pack to close the gap on the animal, or some other reason, never to find their pack again and die - almost always to weather exposure. You get tired, dehydrated, you can get disoriented and do stupid stuff.

Another tip that comes to mind: Cheesecloth wraps and a spray bottle of acetic acid are handy to preserve meat if your gonna be out there a while.

Kindest Regards and good hunting.

xjustintimex
01-15-13, 19:24
what do you guys do for rain when backpack hunting? I had that problem last weekend. also what do you guys do after shooting game to get it back?

J-Dub
01-15-13, 20:45
I would assume for personal protection from rain a poncho would the lightest/easy to pack option. I think most guys have a rain fly to sleep under.

As far as packing meat out I plan on deboneing in the field. Quarter, debone, put in gamebags.

FlyingHunter
01-15-13, 21:21
I use Gore-Tex pants, gaiters, and a jacket. In places like Alaska, the Gore-Tex is subject to fail if you get day after day deluge - oh so much fun. I usually have a Walmart cheap plastic poncho in addition to the Gore-Tex to let the good stuff dry out as well as a utility tarp etc..

Packing critters out is the hard part. Learn on your local game first e.g. how to cape, quarter, and debone a whitetail etc...Done properly you will not even be required to "gut" the animal. Balancing and lashing correctly to the frame pack cannot be over-stated. Good slow and protect your body. Simple stuff like an ankle sprain can be big shit if you're way out there.

Check game laws. For example:

Deboning in some states is illegal. The claim is that keeping the bone in keeps the cooler and preserves the life of the meat. Sure does make it heavier though!

Also, in Alaska and some other areas, you must harvest all meat. Neck, Ribs etc...or be subject to very large fines.

Will_Power
02-01-13, 00:21
Nothing helpful to add here, but I tell ya what, it's one of my dreams to get in shape enough to go on a backpack hunt.

J-Dub
04-18-13, 19:30
What do you backpack hunters use for shelters and sleeping bags? I'd like something light weight but not crazy expensive.

Maybe a clark hammock for shelter.

http://www.junglehammock.com/

As far as sleeping bags go, what doesn't take up a ton of space?

Any tent options?

TACJAKE
04-18-13, 20:47
I use a lot of Walmart gear but two areas that can not be skimped on is clothing (buy the best) , and sleeping gear ( foam pad , air mattress and excellent bag). I like to sleep 10hours when pack hunting (lazy), you can if your comfortable. I actually like the rain when hunting.

AKDoug
04-28-13, 18:34
I'm surprised that hunt_ak hasn't chimed in. He and his family have spent a lifetime under pack straps in Alaska. They flat get it done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXQmxi2GN-U

His sister in-law here.. Her and her husband know more about the latest gear than anyone I've ever met.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad0iTnV8qcA

I've done my share of backpack hunting also, but kids have definitely gotten in the way of that for the last dozen years. I've been losing weight for the last three months and I really hope to get back out there again this year. The things I won't skimp on are a good tent, good backpack, good rain gear and a good sleeping bag. In Alaska this can be the difference of life and death.

For a tent I am really partial to my MSR Hubba Bubba, I use a big Agnes bag and pad, Barney's Alaska Hunter pack, and Helly Hanson Impertech rain gear. Gear is really a Ford vs. Chevy argument and it's really important you develop what really works for you and your intended hunting area.

My pack usually runs at about 60#. I probably pack too much stuff, but it works for me. I pack animals and my gear out in relays depending on the game. For a moose, you will spend days packing it out if it's too far.

Being in shape is important, but the most important thing is your mental attitude. You can overcome being overweight by simply slowing down and keeping a good mental attitude. I've seen plenty of "in shape" guys quit because they don't like being wet and cold. If you are in shape AND can endure discomfort, that's the best of both worlds.

Ironman8
04-28-13, 19:11
Man would I ever love to do a hunt like this!

J-Dub, are you set on the hammock idea?

If not, I've been eyeing the Kirafu Para Tarp (http://store.kifaru.net/tarps-c19.aspx) and can see it fitting well in this role since it packs so small and lightweight.

Just a thought.

J-Dub
04-29-13, 13:32
No Im not set on anything really. I have a feeling Im going to be going through a lot of gear before I find something that works.

I like the idea of the hammock, but there are a ton of draw backs. Gear storage, what happens if I camp above the tree line?, in down pours I would be stuck in a hammock, ect.

I'll take a look at the Kifaru para tarp. Some people swear by floorless tipis, or bivys.

I have a feeling I'll be doing a ton of gear sorting out on scouting trips in July and august.

Again if anyone wants to share their setups, Im all ears.

So far I have my pack: USMC ILBE (I might add an assault pack for a day pack), pocket rocket stove, Bow, Boots,

I need a good sleeping bag, shelter, binos, and some clothes (first lite wool for a base layer, and whatever else I can find for cheap) and I think that's about it..

J-Dub
04-30-13, 21:41
Im totally going to pick up that Kifaru para tarp...less than two pounds...yes please!

Kyle Defoor
05-01-13, 12:01
I've done and do quite a few of these, although I don't make public because of the clients. We nav in 10-20 k

Notes: tape on barrel is mandatory
Medical gloves for skinning mando
Quality headlamp- Petzl mando
Quality saw, knife, and small bolt cutters make field dressing way easier.
GPS mando
You need to be a rock star with map/compass, and especially terrain nav.
Sunglasses mando
Hat mando
Solar monkey charger mando
iPhone mando
Spot locator depending on locale
A mil type plan shared with someone on the outside
All gear treated with permitherin at least a week out.
Avon skin so soft for bugs
Game sling
30 ft of 550
Lighter in small water proof bag (doubles as water container) with dyer lint and iodine tabs or filter straw- unless Tracker Dan is with you

Here's my most recent gear list;
Osprey kestrel 68 , ill be switching to a Arcteryx khyber soon though.
Outdoor research advanced bivy (you'll not find a better light weight shelter, I've been in one in some serious conditions- never failed)
Thermarest 3/4 z pad. Air mattresses are banned because of noise and possible failure
Msr pocket rocket
Gsi minimalist
(1) two person mountain house meal per day
Steel water bottle ( they don't weigh much more than nalgene and you can boil)
Marmot Nano 55 bag ( I use this in combo with my jacket to create the proper temp. Packs to softball size
Arcteryx atom SV ( real cold) or Mountain Hardwear Ghost whisperer ( down to 35ish) I never put this on unless stopped for sleeping/eating/ or long time dressing- stays in top of pack.
Arcteryx wraith shell ( never touched because of noise unless its really pissing)
Arcteryx wraith pants
Mechanic gloves or MH torsion
Black diamond mitts for real cold
Socom Med kit ( its about sandwich bag size) plus Sam splint
Msr gravity filter
Msr water bag ( only if we can't find or don't know about any water source near us) - heaviest thing in bag bar none.
Patagonia lined beanie
Patagonia simple guide pants or arcteryx sphinx pants
Icebreaker merino boxers
Icebreaker merino l/s (260 wt)
Under armour synthetic t shirt
(2) smart wool socks
Salmon quest boot
Outdoor research gaiters
.308 or 300 win mag with Barnes TSX and a damn good scope that's not overpowered.
Quality binos
Game bags or large ziplock freezer bags

I believe my pack was 25- 30lbs or so last outing without the water bag (light weight and minimalistic costs money though) I go way lighter depending on season and altitude. Plenty of room for meat on most game except elk and bigger, but that's gonna be multiple trips out unless you've hot a partner anyway.

Other notes-
Good cardio and physical strength makes this a really pleasurable experience. Running sub nine minute miles for an hour is a decent base, as well as 10 + pull ups.

The Quest is still the best boot I've ever found and with gaiters it's as perfect as is possible. I'd shy away from gore socks but that's just me.

In a month ill be on the Canadian border and ill try to remember to take some pics and post to my blog.

I also do a poacher's skin which saves a ton of time.

Also, I'm probably forgetting something.

Ironman8
05-01-13, 13:03
Im totally going to pick up that Kifaru para tarp...less than two pounds...yes please!

J-Dub,

Thanks to this subject, you've caused me to waste alot of hours at work looking up lightweight shelter systems along the line of the Kirafu Tarp :p. Here's a list of companies that I've looked into that may have something better suited (design/cost wise) than the Kirafu...

Integral Designs
Go-Light
Six Moon Designs
Bear Paw Wilderness Designs
Tarp Tent
Oware
Equinox

And a couple bigger manufacturers that usually run a little pricier due to brand name BS...
Big Agnes
MSR
Outdoor Research
ect. ect. (look on REI for the big guys in the industry)

For me, I'm looking for a balance between cost and functionality. Doesn't have to be the lightest, and I don't usually go for the cheapest, but it has to make sense for what I want out of it...

Ironman8
05-01-13, 13:10
Kyle,

Thanks for the gear list, been waiting for this ever since you mentioned it in another thread a while back :D

I know the OR Adv. Bivy is fully waterproof, but do you carry, or see a need to carry, a small tarp for some "living space" in the case you get bogged down in rain and need to cook, change clothes, dry off, ect?

pinzgauer
05-01-13, 17:00
Do you guys see problems with the super light tarps & gear with sparks melting holes when the wind suddenly blows the wrong way?

I guess all the light synthetic fabrics are prone to it, but the super light stuff seems to be worse

Trying to warm up in hunt camps, dealing with wet wood, etc is when it seems to happen to me.

J-Dub
05-02-13, 09:59
J-Dub,

Thanks to this subject, you've caused me to waste alot of hours at work looking up lightweight shelter systems along the line of the Kirafu Tarp :p. Here's a list of companies that I've looked into that may have something better suited (design/cost wise) than the Kirafu...

Integral Designs
Go-Light
Six Moon Designs
Bear Paw Wilderness Designs
Tarp Tent
Oware
Equinox

And a couple bigger manufacturers that usually run a little pricier due to brand name BS...
Big Agnes
MSR
Outdoor Research
ect. ect. (look on REI for the big guys in the industry)

For me, I'm looking for a balance between cost and functionality. Doesn't have to be the lightest, and I don't usually go for the cheapest, but it has to make sense for what I want out of it...

Funny thing is, I've done the same thing lol . The Sierra Designs Origami 3 looks like the ticket, considering price and features..

Ironman8
05-02-13, 10:06
Funny thing is, I've done the same thing lol . The Sierra Designs Origami 3 looks like the ticket, considering price and features..

Haha. I actually hadn't seen that one, and would definitely lean that way if I was looking for a (comfortable) two person setup, but I'm thinking of something just big enough to be comfortable for me and all gear. I have a two person tent for me and the wife so that she can stay away from the bugs lol.

Right now I'm leaning toward the Go-Lite Shangri-La 2 over the Kirafu since its all closed in with a front door. There's still a couple others that have my attention though.

J-Dub
05-02-13, 20:38
Right now I'm leaning toward the Go-Lite Shangri-La 2 over the Kirafu since its all closed in with a front door. There's still a couple others that have my attention though.

That looks like another good option.

Ironman8
05-02-13, 20:40
That looks like another good option.

Meant to post this earlier, but I thought this was a pretty good write-up. It also has links to shelter comparisons/reviews that may take some of the guess work out of it for you...

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Ultralight-Tent-Reviews/buying-advice