PDA

View Full Version : Appendix Carry Options?

Citpitch02
02-28-08, 12:59
I was wondering who makes good appendix carry holsters?

Should I go Kydex or Leather?

I carry my off duty weapon in a VM-2 which I love, however there are situations
when I would prefer the appendix option (ie: car or air travel).

mark5pt56
02-28-08, 18:03
I would go with leather there. I had the Bladetech for some time to compare against a leather one and hands down for me, the leather is more comfortable. Mine is a Backwoods Leather(Portsmouth, Va.) I've had it about 12 years now and it still holds open with a tight belt(20 year old Bianchi purchased in FRG). Sweat in SW Va. summers are no problem, leather has a good color to it now. The one thing I would like to see is a less aggressive end on the clip's end. The end jutts outward some and can be harzardous to the clothing. Don Hume and Bianchi makes one similair, the Bianchi appears to ride a little higher.The polymer just seemed and felt to blocky to me, tried both the j hooks and straps, j hooks are way to thick.

Mark

http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/Prod.php?TxtModelID=100

http://www.donhume.com/products/ProductsPage.cfm?ProductID=35

Don Robison
02-28-08, 18:36
I use a High Noon Hideaway in horse hide. My EDC is a G21SF carried AIWB. Before the 21 it was a G17 in the same holster.

Dave Williams
02-28-08, 22:11
I am using a Safariland 27 for AIWB. It works great, is affordable and is available.

Dave Williams

DocGKR
02-28-08, 22:45
Alessi makes a nice one.

Jason Burton
02-28-08, 23:59
Alessi makes a nice one.

Yup the APX... best of the breed in my opinion.

TAZ
02-29-08, 17:32
I use a High Noon Hideaway in horse hide. My EDC is a G21SF carried AIWB. Before the 21 it was a G17 in the same holster.

Youre able to hide something as big as the G21 comfortably in the appendix position? I need to rethink this. I have an HK45 that I should try there.

Don Robison
02-29-08, 17:46
Youre able to hide something as big as the G21 comfortably in the appendix position? I need to rethink this. I have an HK45 that I should try there.

Yep, It's not too difficult with a quality holster and belt. I'm not sure but I think the HK45 may be a bit wider.

Kalash
02-29-08, 20:00
AIWB is my preferred carry mode. My favorite holster hands down is the FIST #1K Clip holster w/body protection. It's made out of super-thin Kydex. Thinnest holster on the market period. My carry gun is a G19. I do have a P228 I carry occasionally also. I just purchased a Walther PPS and this will most likely replace the other two as my CCW as soon as FIST gets a mold to make me another holster.

Akoni
03-02-08, 17:08
Yup the APX... best of the breed in my opinion.

Jason can you post up a pic of the APX or a link to pics/review? I've not been able to find a pic of it anywhere. I'm looking for a good leather AIWB rig for my G19 but I'm trying to minimize the "buy and box" routine I normally go through with holsters.

NVM....found one.

Citpitch02
03-02-08, 21:29
tried searching for the pic of the apx myself with negative results! What was the title of the post so I can look it up?

Thanks

Jason Burton
03-02-08, 22:39
Jason can you post up a pic of the APX...

Here ya' go...

http://www.louderthanwords.us/mediumfoto/picts/ulfls/02032008/16062748661.jpg

Yojimbo
03-03-08, 10:40
I had Comp-Tac make me a custom Pro-Undercover for appendix carry. This was before they came out with the 2 o'clock model which is specifically made for appendix carry.

I had them take a Pro-Undercover and set it for a straight drop and also had them lower the belt clip 1/2" inch. That was the best formula that worked well for me after several tries with different configurations.

The original holster I setup had a 5 degree muzzle forward cant to optimize the grip angle but that required the gun to carried higher and made the and cant seemed to make the heel of the grip print more.

The straight drop seemed to cure all these issues. I also preferred Kydex because it could be made much thinner than leather yet the mouth would not collapse so reholstering with one hand was easily done.

I've worn this holster up to 16 hours a day and have even worn it while driving for 8 hours. However appendix carry may not be comfortable or even usable depending on your body shape.

Here's a couple pics.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/7116P7270168_Large_.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/7116P7270170_Large_.JPG

Akoni
03-03-08, 13:28
Here's a couple pics.

http://www.hunt101.com/watermark.php?file=508073&size=1

http://www.hunt101.com/watermark.php?file=508074&size=1

Yo Jimbo! Pics no workie...even with a cut&paste into a browser.

I carry in the appendix pos w/out a holster whenever I go that route. Lately I find myself utilizing that position more and more often especially in "grab and go" scenarios. Now most people aren't very keen on going Mexican especially with a Glock. I'm fairly confident doing so with the way my glocks are setup. However, there are some drawbacks. The biggest is if I need to run, I have to hold the piece in place. Second thing that worries me is if I need to re-holster in a stressed state. So....

I like the idea of the APX. I could see a leather backplate with a Kydex shell in the configuration of the APX as being near ideal for me.

Yojimbo
03-03-08, 15:03
Akoni,

I edited my post and changed the links for the pics. Hopefully they work for you now.

Citpitch02
03-05-08, 11:10
Yojimbo,

how do you think comp-tac's dedicated version compares to your custom set-up?

Lagadelphia
03-06-08, 09:58
I have the comp-Tac 2 O'Clock for my G-27. I much prefer Appendix carry over other types of IWB. I do wear mine at more of a 1 O'clock position. I find it much more comfortable there when sitting.

Yojimbo
03-06-08, 19:56
Yojimbo,

how do you think comp-tac's dedicated version compares to your custom set-up?

I don't own a Comp-Tac 2 o'clock yet but I plan on getting one for my G19 in the near future.

However from what I can see the 2 o'clock has a few of advantages over my custom Pro-Undercover.

1. The belt clip is off-center sothis gives you a bit more options in where you can place your holster on your belt before the belt loops get in the way.

2. The belt clip is a tuckable design so you are not limited to untucked shirts like I am with my custom Pro-Undercover.

3. The 2 o'clock also has a slight muzzle forward cant which gives you a slightly better grip angle on the gun.

4. The belt clip is easily replaceable. My Pro-Undercover has the belt clip attached directly to the holster body so it breaks a new holster must be made. It's much easier to have a couple of spare belt clips when they break, don't ask me how I know...;)

Also, since the belt clip is easily removed you can have Comp-Tac make different versions if need to alter how high the gun rides or change the cant of the holster. This gives you a very inexpensive way to tweak you holster to you body and preffered carry location.

The first Pro-Undercover version I had customized had a 5 degree muzzle forward cant but it required my gun to sit higher then I felt comfortable with and was slightly less concealable than the straight drop I used on my current Pro-Undercover pictured above.

The straight drop allowed me lower the gun a bit and heel of the grip/mag base did not print like the muzzle forward version. I think Comp-Tac may have figured a way to make the forward cant work but when I order a 2 o'clock I will also have them make me a straight drop belt clip as well.

It's quite a balancing act when trying to make a custom appendix holster. When you start to move the muzzle to a straight or forward angle you also need to make it ride higher or else you will have not have enough space betwen your pistol's grip and the belt to establish easily and quickly establish your grip during count 1 of the drawstroke.

Then you need to figure out a balance between concealabilty and grip angle, etc, etc...

I'm starting to ramble so I'll stop while I'm ahead...:cool:

Don Robison
03-06-08, 23:42
My Pro-Undercover has the belt clip attached directly to the holster body so it breaks a new holster must be made.

I used the same setup as you when I first started carrying AIWB and the reason I switched to the High Noon was the clip broke after about 5-6 months of use. I really like Comp-Tac and they offered to fix it, but I declined just because I could see it happening again in the future. I didn't want to waste their time fixing something I was confident would break again with the use I was giving it. All of this was pre 2 o'clock and infidel.

ToddG
03-07-08, 00:39
I've had the same experience, donr ... with multiple holsters and mag pouches. I ignored it for a while but as more of my friends started having the same thing happen (especially when practicing vehicle bail outs, etc), it just reached a point where I won't trust kydex clips anymore.

I had Custom Carry Concepts (http://www.shop.customcarryconcepts.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=10) make a holster to some specifications including no clips. Instead, I asked for the entire holster to be made from a single continuous piece of kydex (body, shield, and loop). It's fast, comfortable, and extremely durable compared to the ubiquitous clips.

Akoni
03-07-08, 06:58
I had Custom Carry Concepts (http://www.shop.customcarryconcepts.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=10) make a holster to some specifications including no clips. Instead, I asked for the entire holster to be made from a single continuous piece of kydex (body, shield, and loop). It's fast, comfortable, and extremely durable compared to the ubiquitous clips.

Was this an AIWB holster? If so, would you post up a pic of it.

I ordered a 2 o'clock form CT after talking with the folks there for a while on the phone. I'll try that out while I try to find someone willing to make my custom hybrid.

Yojimbo
03-07-08, 07:13
I agree with you guys as good as the Comp-Tac holsters are the belt clips are their weak point. That's why I feel the Infidel and the 2 o'clock are step in the right direction.

My current Pro-Undercover is almost two years old and the belt clip is seems to be holding up so far. I just make sure to check the clip every now and then to make sure no cracks have developed.

ToddG
03-07-08, 12:03
Akoni -- no, it's not an appendix holster. I'd imagine he could make one that way if you asked, though.

I tried a 2 O'Clock and wasn't thrilled with it. It rode too high for me. Thinking it might just be a body type issue (I'm not skinny) I loaned it to a buddy who is a Crossfit maniac and who has carried AIWB before. He wasn't too jazzed with it, either.

The issue with clips isn't that they crack or weaken over time. Their design makes them subject to getting twisted and bent. Kydex can go from perfect condition to broken if enough torque is applied, and the clip is designed to allow them to torque. I've seen them break during weapon retention training, vehicular training, or even just getting caught the wrong way moving past a doorjamb. YMMV, obviously, but kydex clips are off the list for me.

Lagadelphia
03-07-08, 21:59
Akoni -- no, it's not an appendix holster. I'd imagine he could make one that way if you asked, though.

I tried a 2 O'Clock and wasn't thrilled with it. It rode too high for me. Thinking it might just be a body type issue (I'm not skinny) I loaned it to a buddy who is a Crossfit maniac and who has carried AIWB before. He wasn't too jazzed with it, either.

Interesting. I wish the 2 O'clock rode a little higher for me. I am on the thin side, 6'1" ~180.