PDA

View Full Version : Battle Comp 1.0 vs BCM Comp

Shooter275
01-08-13, 22:42
sorry if this has been posted before im sure it has but i did a search and came up with a million posts about them so if someone has a link to a thread id appreciate it.

but anyways has anyone ran both of these comps? if so which one does one prefer? right now im running the standard a2 flash hider and i want to upgrade to a comp.

GUNSLINGER733
01-09-13, 00:29
On my bcm middy I run a PWS fsc556 which i really like. I haven't shot with a bcm comp yet but I've used battlecomps. BC & PWS are very similar to me as far as performance. Griffin armament has some new products also out that look sweet and I may put a griffin m4sd on my colt. It looks very similar to battlecomps but is $60 cheaper.

Good Luck

Kenneth
01-09-13, 00:57
I would also like to know. I have a BC right now but when I get my DD rifle I don't know what to put on it.

ROUTEMICHIGAN
01-09-13, 02:17
This might help:

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=1047

Shooter275
01-09-13, 09:17
I saw that article. I think I might jump on the bcm comp since its better on the pocket and it seems like it does a good job at both flash and muzzle control

VIP3R 237
01-09-13, 09:29
Another option is the Griffin Armament M4SD II Flash Comp. I installed one on my SR15 and i prefer it to the Battle Comp. It controls the muzzle every bit as well if not more without the downward push, and has far less flash than the BC.

I have not had the opportunity to run a BCM Comp yet, but from what i've heard it is slightly better on flash, but slightly less control with the muzzle vs the BC. And from my experience with the BC and my Flash Comp, i would dare guess that the Flash Comp may be the superior device of the three. I will pick up a Mod 1 BCM Comp and i will do a test for my self on flash and muzzle control.

BTL BRN
01-09-13, 09:46
Outside of the above posted article and reports from a lucky few, I don't think you will find much else regarding the BCM comp; it just isn't in too many homes just yet.

hilpala
01-09-13, 11:47
I too was looking at the BCM Comp...Might bite the bullet, for lack of better term, and get it for my birthday.

Zane1844
01-09-13, 12:04
The BC is in stock, or was, not sure if it is anymore, at BCM finally. I was considering trying it, but being that I do not want to shoot the ammo I do have, out of fear of not getting more, I think I should wait.

I, however, also thought if I were to try a comp it would be the BCM.

Another reason for me delaying getting one is because I am worried about installing myself.

snakedoctor
01-09-13, 12:08
Rainier Arms live fire test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNMJHMOTl0g

aleaddict
01-09-13, 13:27
I just received my BCM Comp Mod 1 for a carbine build. Call me old school but I like the birdcage look of the BCM. I will be airing it out in a couple weeks.

bruin
01-09-13, 13:43
Another option is the Griffin Armament M4SD II Flash Comp. I installed one on my SR15 and i prefer it to the Battle Comp. It controls the muzzle every bit as well if not more without the downward push, and has far less flash than the BC.

I have not had the opportunity to run a BCM Comp yet, but from what i've heard it is slightly better on flash, but slightly less control with the muzzle vs the BC. And from my experience with the BC and my Flash Comp, i would dare guess that the Flash Comp may be the superior device of the three. I will pick up a Mod 1 BCM Comp and i will do a test for my self on flash and muzzle control.Thanks for the comparison; any comparisons on the concussion/blast from each?

The BCM, Griffin Flash Comp, and Z-Comp are definitely the most interesting "balanced" comps to come out recently... it would be great to see a head-to-head comparison of all three with the standard by which comps are judged, the BC.

Shooter275
01-09-13, 13:49
thanks for the video snake, thought i youtube all that i could but i never thought about adding the SF break into the search. after watching that it brings me back to the thinking table on which one to get

The_Hammer_Man
01-09-13, 14:02
I've recently installed all three of the new flavors of muzzle brake. And, I will be doing the "stand by your man" test with all three this afternoon.

Give me a couple hours and I'll report back.

VIP3R 237
01-09-13, 15:55
Thanks for the comparison; any comparisons on the concussion/blast from each?

The BCM, Griffin Flash Comp, and Z-Comp are definitely the most interesting "balanced" comps to come out recently... it would be great to see a head-to-head comparison of all three with the standard by which comps are judged, the BC.

Concussion from the BC and the Flash comp to myself and my brother were very similar with maybe a slight edge to the GA offering. I have not shot the Z-comp yet.

In 2-4 weeks we are opening an indoor range and i hope to have a multitude of muzzle devices to compare side by side in a controlled environment.

I've recently installed all three of the new flavors of muzzle brake. And, I will be doing the "stand by your man" test with all three this afternoon.

Give me a couple hours and I'll report back.

Let us know. Also include the particular rifles and ammunition used.

ZINCOGNITO
01-09-13, 16:35
I've just received the BCM Mod1 but I'm still trying to decide if I made the right choice over the BC. This thing might go up for sale....

The_Hammer_Man
01-09-13, 17:01
Back from the range with the "stand by your man" test completed.

Tested were the BCM mod1,Griffin Armament flash comp, and the Prototactical Z-comp.

Working just as a "pure" muzzle brake we had to give serious points to the Z-Comp for shear steadiness and shot to shot repeatability.

It is definitely NOT a flash hider :). BUT standing next to it is about like being next to an A-2 for side slap.. maybe a touch more.

The Griffin Armament Flash Brake and the BCM brake are almost identical in side slap. IE, VERY little.

We gave the nod to the GA offering because it's slap was "softer".

Which of the two, GA or BCM, was "steadier"? The BCM brake... none of the dipping or twisting feel you get with some brakes. VERY easy to live with and we really liked the way it focused most of the blast down range.

Think of it as a cross between a Levang and an A-2 in how it feels and performs.

I'm sipping me some of this here Kool-Aid I am :)

bruin
01-09-13, 17:53
Excellent work, thank you. What barrel lengths and ammo were you shooting?

I'm liking the GA Flash Comp more and more... from various reviews so far, it performs very well steadying the muzzle, does not overcompensate, generates pretty mild blast for a comp, yet hides flash nearly as well as the A2. It's long enough to bring a 14.5" barrel over 16", suppressor-ready, and priced lower than any of the premium comps in this discussion.

kris
01-09-13, 18:52
Rather than create a new thread, I'm hoping this question fits in this current topic.

As an intermediate shooter who has always used the standard A2 Compensator, would switching to one of the tested comps be beneficial? I understand what the reviews say, but I'm leery to drop the coin on this if I should be looking at putting the money in more range time.

Kenneth
01-09-13, 20:56
I would go ahead and buy one. You will most likely appreciate it and if not resale on the BC is pretty good. I really enjoys my BC even though its very expensive.

1slow01Z71
01-09-13, 23:15
Ive never had anything besides an A2, is it really worth the hundred bucks for these fancy compensators? Seems like for the average user the benefits are marginal.

YVK
01-09-13, 23:31
All is relative to goals and preferences. They are quite effective in helping you put a bunch of rounds on target quickly. Note I said "helping"; the skill is primary here, gear is secondary.
To me it isn't an issue that benefits are marginal - if one spends 90 bucks on a BCM and gets faster hits right there, it could be a good investment - it is that there is always a trade-off.

Stickman
01-10-13, 01:13
Ive never had anything besides an A2, is it really worth the hundred bucks for these fancy compensators? Seems like for the average user the benefits are marginal.

To put it nicely, the more you suck, the less you will see a difference. None of the comps will make up for someone who doesn't know the basics, but they will give a mechanical aid that will be of benefit in situations that some (or many) people will appreciate.

The_Hammer_Man
01-10-13, 03:17
Excellent work, thank you. What barrel lengths and ammo were you shooting?

I'm liking the GA Flash Comp more and more... from various reviews so far, it performs very well steadying the muzzle, does not overcompensate, generates pretty mild blast for a comp, yet hides flash nearly as well as the A2. It's long enough to bring a 14.5" barrel over 16", suppressor-ready, and priced lower than any of the premium comps in this discussion.

Doh, I should have included that info in my other post eh?

We used , exclusively, 62 gr SS109 for this test. Mostly we have so much of it. (We bought a pallet load of it last summer)

The three uppers used were all 16" middys. Two of them BCM and one a SS "Recce" build that I just finished.

The_Hammer_Man
01-10-13, 15:52
So, last night I was cleaning the shop and got a wild hair up my....

I had, sitting on the shelf two uppers (both 16" middies) that were, well, just sitting there. So, I got to wondering what/how/if the new BCM GF Mod1 Comp would act/perform on an 18" SPR setup.

Guess what? It's even better than I thought it would be. No whip,dip,twist or any of the other gymnastics I'm used to experiencing with some muzzle devices. Just straight back pressure with only a minimum of vertical hop. (barely discernable through a scope)

FWIW I took two uppers with me to the range. Both 18" SPR builds, both 1/8 twist. One I mounted the new BCM Mod1 on and I mounted a Battle Comp on the other.

I learned a couple things... the BC works.. and works really well but, it's pretty finicky to time properly on a longer barrel. Maybe on a stiffer profile barrel, like a fluted one, it might be easier to time.

I also learned that I'm pretty much shelving my Levang comps for the foreseeable future in lue of the new BCM Mod1.

(I might put them on a bull barrel varmint build in the future :)

srshooter
01-11-13, 19:51
So, last night I was cleaning the shop and got a wild hair up my....

I had, sitting on the shelf two uppers (both 16" middies) that were, well, just sitting there. So, I got to wondering what/how/if the new BCM GF Mod1 Comp would act/perform on an 18" SPR setup.

Guess what? It's even better than I thought it would be. No whip,dip,twist or any of the other gymnastics I'm used to experiencing with some muzzle devices. Just straight back pressure with only a minimum of vertical hop. (barely discernable through a scope)

FWIW I took two uppers with me to the range. Both 18" SPR builds, both 1/8 twist. One I mounted the new BCM Mod1 on and I mounted a Battle Comp on the other.

I learned a couple things... the BC works.. and works really well but, it's pretty finicky to time properly on a longer barrel. Maybe on a stiffer profile barrel, like a fluted one, it might be easier to time.

I also learned that I'm pretty much shelving my Levang comps for the foreseeable future in lue of the new BCM Mod1.

(I might put them on a bull barrel varmint build in the future :)

What is whip and twist? I've experienced muzzle rise but never "whip" and never "twist". In shooting several of the different market devices, I've never experienced anything I could call "gymnastics".

Why would the BC be harder to time on a longer barrel than a shorter one? It's still timing/installation operation.

At the link below it looks a lot like the Battle-comp was slightly better at controlling the muzzle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNMJHMOTl0g

The_Hammer_Man
01-12-13, 22:37
What I was describing aren't "scientific" descriptors. They're subjective ones related to me by other shooters.

Every shooter I've ever met uses their own vernacular for describing how a weapon feels when fired. Pointing the finger at anyone "cause" for it is an exercise in futility and frustration. So.. I won't even try.

From my own personal experience I like the new BCM GF Comp over the BC product. Why? Because it "feels" like it recoils in a straight line instead of having that odd "down and back" feel that the BC product has.. for me. Your response to it will be different from mine.

jaxman7
01-15-13, 16:20
Just ran a few rounds from the same gun with a BC and a BCM.

Gun is a 14.5 mid with an A5 and LMT enhanced carrier. As a side note before I get started, it is super tame.

The 2 are so close in muzzle control but the characteristics are different. The BC as has been stated goes slightly down and contains very little concentric movement. By that I mean how wide of an area the dot 'vibrates' from it's original point before firing.

The BCM pulled right. Up and right. The opposite vertical path of the Battlecomp. As with the BC I experimented with timing it to compensate for the right push. Timing the BCM comp does help although the results aren't as drastic as timing a BC at 1 o'clock for a righty shooter.

That concentric movement I mentioned earlier. The BCM comp has more of it. Meaning the dot moves in a slightly (it ain't much) wider area from where the dot was static before shooting.

Hope that makes sense. In other words if you drew a dot on a piece of paper andtwo concentric circles around the dot. Placed them with very little gap between each circle the inside circle would represent the BC's movement within the first circle and the 2nd would be the area the BCM moved within the circle while firing.

I was hoping to do a full auto test but that didn't happen.

By the way. I tested the FSC556 as well. Beat both of them on muzzle movement.

YMMV.

-Jax

ETA: This comparison was strictly for muzzle control results. I did not do any side concussion or flash signature comparisons.

colthpd15
01-16-13, 08:54
Just ran a few rounds from the same gun with a BC and a BCM.

Gun is a 14.5 mid with an A5 and LMT enhanced carrier. As a side note before I get started, it is super tame.

The 2 are so close in muzzle control but the characteristics are different. The BC as has been stated goes slightly down and contains very little concentric movement. By that I mean how wide of an area the dot 'vibrates' from it's original point before firing.

The BCM pulled right. Up and right. The opposite vertical path of the Battlecomp. As with the BC I experimented with timing it to compensate for the right push. Timing the BCM comp does help although the results aren't as drastic as timing a BC at 1 o'clock for a righty shooter.

That concentric movement I mentioned earlier. The BCM comp has more of it. Meaning the dot moves in a slightly (it ain't much) wider area from where the dot was static before shooting.

Hope that makes sense. In other words if you drew a dot on a piece of paper andtwo concentric circles around the dot. Placed them with very little gap between each circle the inside circle would represent the BC's movement within the first circle and the 2nd would be the area the BCM moved within the circle while firing.

I was hoping to do a full auto test but that didn't happen.

By the way. I tested the FSC556 as well. Beat both of them on muzzle movement.

YMMV.

-Jax

ETA: This comparison was strictly for muzzle control results. I did not do any side concussion or flash signature comparisons.

Jaxman is correct I shot my Centurion arms middy with the mod1 and it has slightly more movement than the BC (not that noticeable). But the mod1 doesn't have the downward push that the BC does. In my opinion the mod1 is works as advertised. Its basically operator preference, I would personally recommend both of them. The surefire brake has the least muzzle movement of the three. For operators going into a closed environment I would recomend the mod1.

Doc. Holiday
01-16-13, 09:09
Rather than create a new thread, I'm hoping this question fits in this current topic.

As an intermediate shooter who has always used the standard A2 Compensator, would switching to one of the tested comps be beneficial? I understand what the reviews say, but I'm leery to drop the coin on this if I should be looking at putting the money in more range time.

Break away from the A2. If all the new comps really did suck, the general conclusion would be to stick with the A2. As you can see, most actually shy away from the A2. It worth the money to explore a bit.

colthpd15
01-16-13, 09:11
Break away from the A2. If all the new comps really did suck, the general conclusion would be to stick with the A2. As you can see, most actually shy away from the A2. It worth the money to explore a bit.

And also the price tag on the mod1 is well worth a try for the non believers.