PDA

View Full Version : Does this look right?

ruchik
01-09-13, 01:01
I just bought a new Nighthawk T3 off Gunbroker, and was ogling over the pictures when I found this.

What I meant was that I thought that the outer edge of the barrel should be flush with the face of the bushing.

Right where the arrow is, you can see a fairly large gap between the bushing and the muzzle of the barrel.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v422/nickparkus/pix300520334_zps669e4f5f.jpg

Shouldn't it look more like this?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v422/nickparkus/IMG_2937_zpse1309fc0.jpg

dstocum
01-09-13, 02:07
Are you concerned about the cosmetics, or the function?

I mean, it looks nicer in the bottom picture. But it doesn't matter functionally; the crown looks fine to me. I don't think you actually mean it's a "gap" because it isn't a gap, it's just that the barrel is slightly recessed from the face of the bushing.

ReaperAZ
01-09-13, 06:26
That doesn't seem like it should be an issue. You could always contact Nighthawk. Their customer service is top notch.

ICANHITHIMMAN
01-09-13, 07:07
Are you ****ing kidding me? Its fine

ruchik
01-09-13, 09:06
Nope, not kidding. Since this is the first truly expensive handgun I jave ever bought, I am a little obsessive ocer the details. But as people have said, it's normal, so hey, lesson learned.

7 RING
01-09-13, 09:57
Send your pictures to Nighthawk and ask them. Let us know what you find out.

Shorts
01-09-13, 10:46
There has to be some gap between the barrel and the bushing for cycling clearance. The barrel tilts down at the chamber end during cycling, pivots on the slide stop/barrel link. If there was no gap the barrel and bushing would jam on each other.

On high end tack drivers the barrel-to-bushing fit is a tighter tolerance than a lower-to-mid grade service gun. The tight tolerances is for accuracy purposes. Slightly looser, but in spec, for reliability under harsh environments.

The crowning of the barrel exacerbates the gap because the edges of the barrel and bushing are right next to each other. They're side by side and a visual comparison is almost automatic. If the barrel were not crowned I don't think you'd notice it as much.

Nice gun. Shoot it!

ETA: Ok, I see what you mean by "gap" - from the front face of the bushing to the leading edge of the crown. (I thought you meant the gap around the barrel to bushing). If that gap irks you the bushing can be pulled off, planed down the front and put back on (generally describing, I know you bought a high-end gun). It is a cosmetic issue. Shouldn't affect function.

ToddGB
01-09-13, 14:48
The reason for a flush barrel is so the end doesnt get damaged if it hits something. The barrel on the other pic you posted is more likly to get damaged than your gun.

gan1hck
01-09-13, 14:58
looks fine to me.

temecula
01-09-13, 15:11
the crown looks fine to me. Does it perform good or jam?

dstocum
01-09-13, 17:37
The reason for a flush barrel is so the end doesnt get damaged if it hits something. The barrel on the other pic you posted is more likly to get damaged than your gun.

The point of a recessed crown is to avoid damage, regardless of the barrel length. Neither of those pistols is likely to get a damaged crown. Nor would they be if they extended 1/16" or so beyond the bushing, as in most 1911s, although they would look pretty stupid with that type of recess.

gunnut284
01-10-13, 04:21
I don't see a gap. It looks like the chamfering of the barrel and bushing is playing tricks on your eyes. Looks fine to me.

BBossman
01-10-13, 08:30
Less eye screwing and finger banging... more shooting!

chakup
01-10-13, 12:40
The gap he's talking about is the tip of barrel being set back from flush of the bushing, not "clearance" gap around it.

That said the bushing has support far enough back on barrel that should cause zero problems or hangups. As said once you get it you could email some pics to NH to verify what they have to say.

ruchik
01-10-13, 13:40
I haven't received the gun yet, it's still on layaway for now. I got a case of extreme first time consumer obsession :rolleyes:. I'll be sure to ask Nighthawk what the deal is when I get it, hopefully there's no problems.

cagusmc
01-10-13, 20:19
Less eye screwing and finger banging... more shooting!

That's funny.